Author Topic: Sound difference that different types of keycap sets make  (Read 5540 times)

Offline ntelope

Sound difference that different types of keycap sets make
« on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 00:02:37 »
Has anyone done a comparative video showing the sound difference that different types of keycap sets make on the same switch? (SA , GMK, DSA, DCS, etc. all on mx reds)

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
Re: Sound difference that different types of keycap sets make
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 00:07:03 »
This would be quite interesting, maybe also the differences between different materials (ABS, PBT, thicknesses, etc)

However, I will add that some of this stuff will entirely depend on the board. I heard somewhere else that for a particular board (forgotten which one it is :P ) the stock, thin ABS caps sounded best for some reason.
Custom 60%: Cherry MX blues with 62g gold springs and PBT Black on Black dyesub keycaps.

Other Keyboards: Deck Hassium Pro (MX Browns), the underated Leopold FC660M (MX Browns)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 00:22:34 »
Closest is probably this.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 00:31:53 »
Not that I  know of, I know a few people have made videos of them typing on different boards/switch types with mostly stock keycaps but not all the keycap styles. Would be cool to do with all the different types atleast the basic types. Would need to be done with the same setup every time so by the same person to get any real comparison. There is so many variables that it would be cost prohibitive for most people to do every configuration but for one board wouldn't be that hard.

Keycap profile, material, thickness, switch type, plate material, plate style(full plate/half plate/no plate), case material, case style are the variables I can think of that would definitely make a difference on sound. Limiting it to the basics(keycap profile/material/switch type) and maintaining similar style boards for the different switches would be the easiest way to do it.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 02:14:38 »
yes, also having it on top of a mousepad makes a big difference in sound too. like those deskpads that cover a large part of your desk.
it's not as simple as just switch+cap, unfortunately.

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 03:23:24 »
yes, also having it on top of a mousepad makes a big difference in sound too. like those deskpads that cover a large part of your desk.
Does this improve the sound?
Kind of interested, never really thought of this changing the sound before.
Custom 60%: Cherry MX blues with 62g gold springs and PBT Black on Black dyesub keycaps.

Other Keyboards: Deck Hassium Pro (MX Browns), the underated Leopold FC660M (MX Browns)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 03:48:16 »

I use a folded sheet of drawer liner ($2 or something from the Reject Shop) under my keyboards.  It makes a huge difference to the sound of some of them.

I also have a fairly thin desk surface, and most sounds echo, so this HHKB, for example, sounds very, very much quieter with the drawer liner in place.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 March 2016, 03:49:49 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 12:54:46 »
I use a folded sheet of drawer liner ($2 or something from the Reject Shop) under my keyboards.  It makes a huge difference to the sound of some of them.

I also have a fairly thin desk surface, and most sounds echo, so this HHKB, for example, sounds very, very much quieter with the drawer liner in place.
Huh, that's interesting. I might try that sometime.

Offline ntelope

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 16:04:45 »

Never knew about this too!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 20:25:20 »

Never knew about this too!

Or you can ask fohat if he has any of his EPDM material left: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.0

Offline saxophone

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 05:10:52 »
lol

Just get a big gun disassembly mat and cover your desk with it. https://www.tekmat.com/. These are quite excellent as mouse mats as well.

Offline Malenky

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 13:58:51 »
Here is a sound difference video between Cherry Doubleshot ABS and IMSTO Dye Sub PBT caps on my POK3R with MX Clears and an acrylic case. Note the shared caps. I hear very little difference, but both keycaps are thick and high quality.

Ironically, my keyboard pings the note C#.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 14:01:18 by Malenky »