Author Topic: Integrated, laptop keyboards  (Read 2726 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Integrated, laptop keyboards
« on: Fri, 19 October 2007, 01:09:02 »
Which ones do you like?  Which ones do you hate?  

Here are all the laptops I've personally owned to date, and how I rate the keyboards (from best to worst):

Apple MacBook (CD)
IBM Thinkpad T23
Lenovo Thinkpad X60s
Gateway2000 Solo 2100
Apple iBook (G4)
Dell Inspiron 3800
Dell Inspiron 8600

Integrated, laptop keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 December 2007, 01:42:01 »
i've once again inspected the wares at my local electronics superstore. I found the MacBook to have no feedback. Ditto for Sony's equivalent "chicklet" notebook. MBP was mushy and vague. However, some Sonies and Compaqs had decent keyboards. The had a definite "click" tactile sensation, and a very subtle clicking sound. The keyboard quality seemed to be unrelated to the price. It seems to me that they just have multiple OEMs for the same part, so you never know what you're gonna get.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Re: Integrated, laptop keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 December 2007, 06:26:53 »
Quote from: iMav
Here are all the laptops I've personally owned to date, and how I rate the keyboards (from best to worst):

Apple MacBook (CD)
IBM Thinkpad T23
Lenovo Thinkpad X60s
Gateway2000 Solo 2100
Apple iBook (G4)
Dell Inspiron 3800
Dell Inspiron 8600

I thought you made mention of owning a MacBook Pro at some point???  Inspiron 8600 at the bottom of the list, eh?

I hate the keyboard on my wife's 8600, but that has more to do with our kids ripping keys off it and my assignment as "keyboard fixer".  I've already bought a "parts" keyboard off ebay.  I keep it around for "just such an occasion".
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Re: Integrated, laptop keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 December 2007, 06:58:23 »
Quote from: ashort
[I thought you made mention of owning a MacBook Pro at some point???

I didn't own one in late October 2007 (when I posted this).  :)

Quote from: ashort
Inspiron 8600 at the bottom of the list, eh?

Exactly.  It was mushier than the 3800.  All Dell laptop keyboards are disgusting.

And, I stand by the MacBook keyboard as my favorite.  It certainly isn't clicky...but it ALSO is not mushy.  (and that's about all you can expect from a laptop keyboard these days)