Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 298104 times)

Offline BlueNalgene

[GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 23:22:39 »
So the time has come....

Let's make some Alps boards folks!  After lengthy discussions and tweaks (see here for the IC), we are finally ready to Cross the Alps.

This will be a combined group buy for lots of Alps-centric bits.  Things have been picked to provide almost everything you need to build a 60% Alps board.  You can get a project kit in one package.  If you only want one thing (e.g. 100 switches) you can get that.  I'm casting the widest possible net to make as many people happy as possible.

What you can order:

1. PCB    -    (101/25)

This part will be an order for assembled PCBs from hasu.  The hasu circuit board has a ton of possibilities and has been previously successful.  It supports AEK ANSI, Dell ANSI & ISO, Infinity, and other layouts.  The firmware is customizable and well written.  If you want to read more about the PCB, there is loads of info from the previous round of GB for it here.

Each assembled PCB will cost $37.50 (which is $35 + $2.50 to ship to me per board)  The minimum order for this part of the GB is 25.  Unlike previous sales, hasu cannot provide unassembled boards with or without parts. 

2. Plates     -     (89/25)

Plates were designed by JDCarpe and BlueNalgene.  All plates requested in the IC before the deadline are being offered: Dell AT101, Dell AT101W, Dell AT102W, AEKII ANSI, AEKII ISO, and Infinity ANSI.  (Note: the AEKII ISO will not work with the hasu PCB)  Each plate will be laser cut from 16ga. T-304 stainless steel by a company local to my area (saves on shipping).

Here are pics of the plates available:
More

AT101

AT101W

AT102W

AEKII ANSI

AEKII ISO

Infinity hacker style

HHKB Layout

The current quote for plates is $27.50 each.  This price may drop if we can reach a certain number of orders.  The MOQ for this price is 25 units.  By smiling and showing a little of my man-cleavage, I was able to get this MOQ to count for the total order.  That means if the group orders 10 at101 style, 10 at101w style, and 5 aekii style we will still get the order at this price.

2.5 Powder Coating     -     (12/5)

A powder coating option is available for those ordering plates.  Since this is BlueNalgene's GB, I'm obviously going with blue.  If there are enough orders to reach my MOQ, I'm going to go into the local powder coating place and say
"Hey powder coating person"
"...hey man"
"I hereby demand that these plates get a totally wicked blue coloring"
"..."
"I mean I want a bright ****ing obnoxious blue color that will make the ladies faint"
"...whatever you say man *cough*"

So the price on this is a little bit more complicated.  I was quoted that each plate would cost $20.00 to coat, and each color change would cost $25.00.  I set the MOQ at 5, that way the participants will pay $25.00 at max for the option.  If more join than 5, then the price will drop. 

3. Switches     -     (click: 1640, quiet click: 3980, quiet linear: 1210)

Part of this GB will be for Matias switches.  You know about them, you love them, now you can get them on the cheap.  I have arranged some bulk prices for Matias click, quiet click, and quiet linear switches.  Purchases will need to be made in quantities of 10, to make life easier on me.  The switches will be directly from Matias in boxes of 200 switches per box.  The price per switch, depending on the quantity ordered, will vary from $0.25 to $0.14 per switch, not including shipping.  The MOQ and price structure is a little complicated on this, so stay with me here.

For orders of
200-1000 switches, the unit price is $0.25 each
1200-2200 - $0.20 each
2400-4400 - $0.18 each
4800-9400 - $0.16 each
    9600+   - $0.14 each

The quantity ordered is for each switch type UNLESS we can reach an order of 9600 switches combined.  E.g. if we want 4000 click, 2200 quiet, and 3800 linear quiet - we would get the $0.14 price.  However, if we only could reach 2000 click, 2000 quiet, and 2000 linear quiet, we would be paying the $0.20 price.  Like I said, a little complicated.  But never fear, excel will take care of the math for us.

4. Raffle

I hinted in the IC about a little bonus, and I may have deliberately left clues in some of my other posts, but here is my big secret.  I have been experimenting with production of artisan caps.  One of the complaints I have seen before is how there are never any artisans available for Alps switches.  That changes today.

Because how can you cross the Alps.....

...without elephants? 

Pictured are Sick Slime, Drunken Delirium, and Supple Skin colored Barca keycaps.  All GB participants will be entered into a drawing to receive one of the caps I made, and there are more than just those three Barcas.

Closed
Join the GB by filling out this form.

FAQ

Q. Are you offering keycap sets?
A. No, but there is currently a GB for Alpine Winter (here) and there will be some olivetti/dolch sets soon at some online retailers.

Q. How much will shipping be?
A. It depends on what you ordered.  Since there are options which will vary from a few switches to a bunch of metal plates, I don't have a single price.  It will be cheap for CONUS, expensive for INTL.  If there are several INTL orders, you might consider combining orders to save on the overseas part. 

Q. You have no GB experience, how do I know you aren't some skeezeball who will abscond with my hard earned liquid capital?
A. I can't prove I'm reliable.  I can only promise that I will try my dammedest to not knowingly screw you over.  I'm a long time forum denizen which may not be apparent from my low post count.  I lurked for a while before joining almost a year ago.  I have a few successful trades/purchases on here, and they might be able to provide a good reference if you require it.  CptBadass, a 'respected' member says of me:
Confirmed BlueNalgene is the homie and reliable. Makes me ill artwork for my zine. 10/10 Would trust. Plus alps <3

Q. Why are you doing this?
A. Because I want one dammit, and you can't get anything done around here without a committee.  grumblegrumblegrumble

Q. else?
A. goto 10

Q. I don't get the Hannibal thing.
A. That isn't a question.

Q. Wait, weren't you doing a Napoleon thing in the IC?
A. Yeah, but I had the Hannibal thing in my sleeve for when the GB went live.  Do try to keep up.

Q. Will this work with my Poker style case?
A. Probably.  Here is a list of cases and known compatibility from hasu's thread:
     Poker X
     Pure CNC
     Poker II
     Pok3r (untested)
     V60 KBP (requires sanding on USB slot)
     Hammer Alu
     Tex Aluminum case (some diode shorting issues reported)
     Tex Acrylic case

Q. When does the GB form close?
A. October 5th

Q. How much will it cost to ship to me?
A. These estimates were made by assuming the package is under 1lb., worth $100, and taxed as 8538.90 type item.  Country list made from current orders and requests.  If you want your country added to the list, just ask.  All values in USD.  These are just rough calculations.  Did I totally **** up somewhere? Sorry.
     CONUS - <$10
     Canada (BC) - $11.75 + $8.30 duty
     Germany - $17.95 + $22.20 duty
     Netherlands - $17.95 + $24.20 duty
     Norway - $17.95 + $25.00 duty
     Singapore - $17.50 + $7.00 duty
     UK - $17.95 + $23.20 duty
     Bulgaria - $17.95 + $23.20 duty

Edit: 9/24 @10:30 pm local - added to FAQ, updated counts.
Edit: 9/25 @ 2:49 pm local - Major change to AT101 style and added HHKB plate
Edit: 9/26 @ 5:00 pm local - updated counts
Edit: 9/28 @11:04 pm local - updated counts
Edit: 10/1 @ 7:30 pm local - updated counts, added Bulgaria to country list
Edit: 10/4 @12:01 pm local - updated counts
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 14:27:55 by BlueNalgene »

Offline BlueNalgene

Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 23:22:58 »
reserved

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:30:28 »
Nice GB.

What about AT101 with 1u Winkey cutouts?

I don't see how 60% cases can support Winkey blockers, so that might be a better idea IMO :P

I'm definitely in for 1 or 2 plates.

Would really love to see a stealth-pure-black powder coating. Maybe I'm not alone in this.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:38:29 »
Nice, I'll be putting in my order later today. When is the deadline for this GB?

Any tips regarding cases btw?
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:41:28 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline geniekid

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:55:39 »
I assume appropriate vetting will be done to make sure powder coating thickness won't be an issue?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:58:12 »
Joined! thanks Blue :cool:

What are people using for cases?
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2015, 09:05:31 by digi »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 09:01:26 »
In this album the guy uses a Tex acrylic case. Not sure if the stuff in this buy is the exact same as what he used though.
http://imgur.com/a/W08u6

Offline geniekid

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 09:03:17 »

Assuming the PCB isn't changing its mounting holes and the plate isn't oversized, you can see a list of compatible cases from Hasu's original GB thread here.  It's about halfway down in the OP.

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 09:11:29 »
If i didn't have an Infinity on the way, i'd be all over this

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 09:22:24 »
In for 2 PCB's and plates in the aekii and infinity layout  :thumb:

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 09:33:05 »
Nice GB.

I don't see how 60% cases can support Winkey blockers, so that might be a better idea IMO :P

Would really love to see a stealth-pure-black powder coating. Maybe I'm not alone in this.

+1 This was my exact thoughts also.   I actually thought this was the plan all along?
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:30:05 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 10:30:29 »

Assuming the PCB isn't changing its mounting holes and the plate isn't oversized, you can see a list of compatible cases from Hasu's original GB thread here.  It's about halfway down in the OP.

Thanks bud, so it looks like as long as the case is poker compatible it should fit this pcb, cool.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 10:33:17 »
Well done! This is the GB of the year. I will fill out the form shortly! :thumb:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 10:58:11 »
I hope it's ok that I'm linking the SP Alps keyset IC here, Blue.

I just want to make sure people are aware that the new Alps keyset will cover the following layouts "Dell AT101(W), AEKII, and Infinity Hacker".

People might want to keep that in mind when selecting their plate.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74783.msg1845812#msg1845812
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2015, 10:59:43 by digi »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:02:46 »
Thanks for undertaking this.

Naive question: Will the PCB and plates have the necessary holes for installing the keyboard into a standard aluminum case such as the TEK CNC 60% case?

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:05:45 »
This is awesome ordered!
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:11:50 »
Kind of want to add a third plate and pcb to my order so I can have a "standard" layout board that is compatible with custom cases (since the matias v60 is not) But is seems kind of like a waste to do so since already have the v60, and there is nothing wrong with it's case other than the fact that it is not fancy lol.

Offline kennardsmith

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:17:37 »
Ordered 1 set of things… will probably find a reason to order another set of things soon
[Control] is just left side of [A]. It comes from Sun Type3 key layout.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:21:37 »
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

I'm so happy this is now live!

Methinks I'll order 2 sets of PCBs & plates.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:24:22 »
And ordered.  Looking forward to seeing what the powder coating color is.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:26:19 »
In for a couple PCBs, and AEKII and a WKL plate.

Now I just have to build a 60% WKL case  :eek:

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 12:04:22 »
I already have a 60% alps in AEKII layout from hasu's round 2.

Ordered 2 pcbs, a Dell 101W, and an Infinity for this buy. Should go well with the caps from njbair's Alpine Winter, and the Dolch Tai Hao set from Massdrop.

A thought did occur to me...what can I do about stabs? I'm planning on harvesting a set from an old AEKI I've got, but I'll need some for the 2nd build. Is there anywhere a guy can get stabs without harvesting these days?
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline braidn

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 12:25:56 »
How do stabilizers work with this? Would I need to harvest them from another ALPS based board?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 12:49:03 »
I'm in for two! Just need to decide on which plates to get...

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 12:56:14 »
I'm 99% sure you will need to harvest stabs from another board.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 13:10:09 »
That's not the end of the world. Gives me a perfect excuse to go track down a board with blues.  :))

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 13:10:13 »
Nice GB.

CommonCurt brought this up to me as well.  Something tells me I didn't understand what you guys wanted.  Pic of the layout, and I will fix it.

Nice, I'll be putting in my order later today. When is the deadline for this GB?

Any tips regarding cases btw?

Joined! thanks Blue :cool:

Deadline is Oct 5th for the order form unless we need a final push for more orders.

From the hasu thread, the cases with known compatibility are:
Poker X
Pure CNC
Poker II
Pok3r (untested)
V60 KBP (requires sanding on USB slot)
Hammer Alu
Tex Aluminum case (some diode shorting issues reported)
Tex Acrylic case

I will add both of these questions to the faq soonish.

I assume appropriate vetting will be done to make sure powder coating thickness won't be an issue?

It will done.  I expect it might take some finangling, since on the phone the powder coating guy sounded a little baked.

I hope it's ok that I'm linking the SP Alps keyset IC here, Blue.

I just want to make sure people are aware that the new Alps keyset will cover the following layouts "Dell AT101(W), AEKII, and Infinity Hacker".

People might want to keep that in mind when selecting their plate.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74783.msg1845812#msg1845812

Linking to Alpine Winter is fine.  I did it in the FAQ up above.  NJBair and I actually did some coordinating to make sure that we would be deploying around the same time and the layouts would match the caps offered.

Thanks for undertaking this.

Naive question: Will the PCB and plates have the necessary holes for installing the keyboard into a standard aluminum case such as the TEK CNC 60% case?

The holes are there.  The TEX aluminum has had some problems with diodes though.  You may need to do add a layer of dielectric to protect them if you use that case.

And ordered.  Looking forward to seeing what the powder coating color is.

Sexy.  That's what color it will be.  Sexy.

I already have a 60% alps in AEKII layout from hasu's round 2.

Ordered 2 pcbs, a Dell 101W, and an Infinity for this buy. Should go well with the caps from njbair's Alpine Winter, and the Dolch Tai Hao set from Massdrop.

A thought did occur to me...what can I do about stabs? I'm planning on harvesting a set from an old AEKI I've got, but I'll need some for the 2nd build. Is there anywhere a guy can get stabs without harvesting these days?

Stab holes are designed for cannibalized parts.  However a Matias stab GB was suggested by a member on DT, so there is interest.  That would make a good add-on GB if anyone feels froggy.  I'm hesitant to add it on this GB because I've never seen the Matias set used, so I don't know what it contains or how compatible it would be.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 13:19:24 »
Stab holes are designed for cannibalized parts.  However a Matias stab GB was suggested by a member on DT, so there is interest.  That would make a good add-on GB if anyone feels froggy.  I'm hesitant to add it on this GB because I've never seen the Matias set used, so I don't know what it contains or how compatible it would be.

I had no idea Matias was selling stab sets. Looks like they can be bought for $15 shipped to CONUS here: http://matias.ca/order/#keycaps

I'll probably pick up a set or two and report back on my findings.

Offline shoostep

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 13:23:53 »
In for a complete set  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 13:26:42 »
Just a word on stabs: the plates in this GB use Alps stabilizer inserts. I'm not sure what kind of inserts the Tai Hao keysets from Massdrop use, but I know SP uses cherry costar-style keycap stab inserts. So the Matias stab wires will not fit SP caps. You will have to bend custom wires to use with SP Alps caps.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 14:29:51 »
Nice GB.

CommonCurt brought this up to me as well.  Something tells me I didn't understand what you guys wanted.  Pic of the layout, and I will fix it.

Thank you  :)   Like this.

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 14:38:48 »
Nice GB.

Show Image

Ok, I made it.

I need to see if the change will be acceptable for the two people who have ordered the wkl already.  Otherwise, I will just make a new plate option on the form.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 14:47:41 »
Ok, I made it.

Show Image

I need to see if the change will be acceptable for the two people who have ordered the wkl already.  Otherwise, I will just make a new plate option on the form.

Hey, there's someone else as crazy as me!  :))

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 16:33:55 »
Just a word on stabs: the plates in this GB use Alps stabilizer inserts. I'm not sure what kind of inserts the Tai Hao keysets from Massdrop use, but I know SP uses cherry costar-style keycap stab inserts. So the Matias stab wires will not fit SP caps. You will have to bend custom wires to use with SP Alps caps.

The Alps stabs that Matias sells should work with the Costar-style inserts. I just need to modify the plate drawings to include both "positions" for the stab clips. I'm only waiting on Edgar to get back to me with the dimensions for those (he's in China right now).
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 16:40:54 »

The Alps stabs that Matias sells should work with the Costar-style inserts. I just need to modify the plate drawings to include both "positions" for the stab clips. I'm only waiting on Edgar to get back to me with the dimensions for those (he's in China right now).
I remember that mockup be posted in a thread a while back. I didn't realize you were planning on adding both positions to these plates.

Overall this is good news, but nickheller is going to kill me. I convinced him to buy all these wire bending tools this afternoon, thinking we'd all have to rig this stuff together to work with SP caps.

My boards:
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 16:42:22 »
nickheller is going to kill me. I convinced him to buy all these wire bending tools this afternoon, thinking we'd all have to rig this stuff together to work with SP caps.

Maybe nickheller can sell us all some 7u Costar stab wires :D

Here is Matias' post about the stabs:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60268.msg1486047#msg1486047
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2015, 16:45:27 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 16:43:07 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2015, 16:56:08 by digi »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 16:45:24 »
nickheller is going to kill me. I convinced him to buy all these wire bending tools this afternoon, thinking we'd all have to rig this stuff together to work with SP caps.

Maybe nickheller can sell us all some 7u Costar stab wires :D
The really ironic part is, I almost bought all the same tools myself. They're sitting  in my Amazon cart right now. The only reason I didn't buy them yet is because I had some add-on items in there too, and I needed $25 with of goods sold by Amazon, but I only had $24.47.

My boards:
More

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:08:46 »
Nice GB.

Show Image

Ok, I made it.

Show Image

AWESOME! You da man. Now I have to buy two plates :3

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:11:33 »
Hrm, perfect timing?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/60-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

Oh, and blue to match the Alpine set?? whuut

Also:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-acrylic-cnc-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open
I think they watch the forums like hawks. Hate to say it, but I may have to pick up a blue case myself.

My boards:
More

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:16:07 »
They even have the flat style case in blue too, she's a little more though:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-metal-case?mode=guest_open

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:38:06 »
Is that Infinity Layout the Standard or Hacker layout? I have to ask.... seeing that I have an extra Infinity PCB  and needed a flat plate (one I have is bent plate).

Make my day PLEASE!!!!

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 18:13:51 »
Is that Infinity Layout the Standard or Hacker layout? I have to ask.... seeing that I have an extra Infinity PCB  and needed a flat plate (one I have is bent plate).

Make my day PLEASE!!!!

The one up there is Infinity Hacker layout.  If you need Infinity Standard layout, JDCarpe sent his design for it.  I can put it up as an option if you would like.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:19:24 »
I would like to have the standard bottom row on the infinity plate, but since alpine winter seems to support the non standard bottom row I am ok with it since I will be able to find caps that fit.

I do think the standard bottom row looks better, but that might be because I have not seen the hacker bottom row in person, or used it to see if I prefer it. I am sure I will be perfectly happy though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:46:09 by nickheller »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:24:44 »
Can I just say that I love the fact that this buy is not only doing Alps, but innovating at the same time? I'm not aware of any other plate buys that offered multiple layouts like this, and if so definitely not this many different layouts. This buy is like every MX 60% buy combined. It's awesome!

My boards:
More

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:32:50 »
Update

The plate and PCB have both passed the MOQ on the first day.  WOOHOO!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:37:20 »
Update

The plate and PCB have both passed the MOQ on the first day.  WOOHOO!

Amazing! And I haven't even joined yet because I'm still trying to decide on plates.

My boards:
More

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:47:51 »
It feels like we are in for something special with this Alps love. I don't really know a lot about what I will need, but most of my questions have been answered already.

I just picked up an AEKII with pink Alps for what I think was a reasonable price. What would you guys do? It seems really brutal to tear this thing apart to harvest for switches.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:49:27 »
It feels like we are in for something special with this Alps love. I don't really know a lot about what I will need, but most of my questions have been answered already.

I just picked up an AEKII with pink Alps for what I think was a reasonable price. What would you guys do? It seems really brutal to tear this thing apart to harvest for switches.

De-solder those switches and never look back! :)