Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon  (Read 335368 times)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Re: [IC] GMK Carbon
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 13:45:58 »
Orange novelty row could also be used on function keys on a TKL or fullsize board.

Sorry, my Im so used to thinking in a 60% format since I rarely use anything bigger then 75% personally.  ;)
Thats true tho obviously not much of an issue for those who do.

I understand and all but you guys understand we are limited here. I mean we are very limited.

I do understand we are really limited here and I'm honestly happy with what ever we end up with aswell.
Its a gmk gb after all so as usual its all about creating the most universel set while trying to keep the price somewhat reasonable...  :)

I just feel like this is a missed oportunity for implementing noveltys.

This could even be done by changing the color of the existing prt sc, scroll lock and pause keys without the need of adding new keys to the set.
So there wouldn't be any additional cost required to realize this, plus this is actually what the og set looked like as far as I know...

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:46:44 »
Here is my next suggestion.

The Bad:
- no row 5! (it is impossible to deal with that row as it exceed the 150$ mark always)
- no classic colorway
- no "Alt Gr" keys

The Good.
- Original Carbon colorway is back, but you can still gray out f-row and arrow cluster completely.
- Without the Carbon Novelty (after my calculation) we are under 140$.
- Carbon periodic novelty.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:48:17 »
Show Image

The Bad:
- no row 5! (it is impossible to deal with that row as it exceed the 150$ mark always)
- no classic colorway
- no "Alt Gr" keys

The Good.
- Original Carbon colorway is back, but you can still gray out f-row and arrow cluster completely.
Looks good!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #303 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:51:47 »
Would it be possible to mockup the Carbon periodic novelty key with the C in it's normal place and the 12 over 6 as a sublegend? I'm afraid that it won't look very good as it stands, because it'll be the only vertically centered key on that row. If you'd like to keep it vertically centered, I think it would be better as R1 orange/black (a novelty Esc replacement).

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #304 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:55:37 »
Would it be possible to mockup the Carbon periodic novelty key with the C in it's normal place and the 12 over 6 as a sublegend? I'm afraid that it won't look very good as it stands, because it'll be the only vertically centered key on that row. If you'd like to keep it vertically centered, I think it would be better as R1 orange/black (a novelty Esc replacement).

I share the same concerns with you. I'll probably put it away. Anyway the most important thing right now is to get the whole kit right.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #305 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 15:01:04 »
Show Image

The Bad:
- no classic colorway
- no "Alt Gr" keys

The Good.

Love it!  :-*

Offline ScottieLK

« Reply #306 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 18:07:15 »
What are the dimensions of the second spacebar shown in some of the pictures?

Varmilo VA87MR

Offline Jedi

« Reply #307 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 18:29:40 »
The second spacebar is 7u. GMK makes a 6.25u and a 7u.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #308 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 19:11:05 »
Show Image

The Bad:
- no classic colorway
- no "Alt Gr" keys

The Good.

Why there is no 1u Alt? but there is 1u Ctrl.

Offline RinSama269

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 00:29:39 »
R2 backspace for HHKB?
Don't know but you are not the first person who can't see that delete key.

Well I did saw the delete keybut what meant was the legend...so there is no way for the r2 HHKB backspace to be backspace... ok
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2016, 00:35:38 by RinSama269 »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #310 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 01:29:23 »
So far nobody is missing row5 ?

Why there is no 1u Alt? but there is 1u Ctrl.
Good catch, i'll add with the next update :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #311 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 15:10:12 »

I really prefer row 5 bottom row for 1.5u and 1u modifiers, but I understand that most people use row 4, besides, having all bottom row keys in row 4 profile makes easier to mix and match them if required.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #312 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 15:59:29 »
is there going to be a gray enter key? like in the carbon sa kit

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #313 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 16:12:54 »
No promise but i'll look into it. You know if i add it i have to add also iso enter.
I really prefer row 5 bottom row for 1.5u and 1u modifiers, but I understand that most people use row 4, besides, having all bottom row keys in row 4 profile makes easier to mix and match them if required.
I prefere row 5 too. Actually i would be happy to change the bottom row completely to row 5, but afaik there is no 1.25u keys in row 5 available. Anyway i'll ask gmk again if they have it, maybe the things have been changed.
Hype indeed!

Look gorgeous :)

Any Chance for an ISO Novelty enter?
Pardon for the delayed reply. I dont have any ideas for a novelty iso enter. I've tried already to make one with honeycumb structure but it does not look, because of the iso enter shape.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #314 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 16:30:09 »
A gray ISO enter and full row 5 bottom row, wow! Cannot let it pass if it had all these features.

Offline Tmeee

« Reply #315 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 22:44:08 »
No 6u spacebar can match "Costom Carbon color" perfectly....So we can only use L9-color spacebar(6U&PBT)in the 1800 layout as a replacement since GMK dont offer 6U spacebar.....That will be a great pity actually...
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2016, 23:46:17 by Tmeee »
Waiting for TGR-910......

Offline ba7777

[IC] GMK Carbon
« Reply #316 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 23:12:13 »
We can only use L9-color spacebar(6U&PBT)in the 1800 layout as a replacement since GMK dont offer 6U spacebar.....That will be a great pity actually...No 6u spacebar can match "Costom Carbon color" perfectly....
So are you implying we should get rid of the 1x bottom modify caps, my dear spring king?

I agree with you. Indeed without a matching 6x spacebars will put the modern 18xx keyboard owner into a dilemma.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2016, 23:13:56 by ba7777 »

Offline Tmeee

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 00:02:08 »
We can only use L9-color spacebar(6U&PBT)in the 1800 layout as a replacement since GMK dont offer 6U spacebar.....That will be a great pity actually...No 6u spacebar can match "Costom Carbon color" perfectly....
So are you implying we should get rid of the 1x bottom modify caps, my dear spring king?

I agree with you. Indeed without a matching 6x spacebars will put the modern 18xx keyboard owner into a dilemma.
Yep,thank you for the detailed explanation. :thumb: :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #318 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 05:38:56 »

But i disagree.
It was obvious from the start that this keyset will not match the origianl 1800 layout. You know the 6u spacebar. The 1u modify caps have thier place and are legit, because of 75% and modern 1800 look a like layouts.
Here is just example of Duck Octagon (75% layout).

I wouldn't be surprized if other custom 1800 keyboards allow such variety for the bottom row.

Actually there was a discussion about using the available GMK colors and i got a chance to see V2 and N9 colors on a Dutch Keyboard Meetup. I have to say, that i am pretty sure those colors dont even come close to carbon colors. V2 is to bright and N9 is to dark (almost black). So i see no point to discuss the colors further. There are no matching colors and this keyset will get its custom colors for gray and orange 100%. Currently i am waiting for GMK color chips which i'll get probably in 3-4 weeks. I'll check then the beige (ivory/bone) colors. But honetly i doubt they got matching color for beige.

Offline misconceit

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 23:58:08 »
Can 2 x 1.5u Meta/Win key be added with the 2 x 1u Alt ;D?
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 May 2016, 23:59:51 by misconceit »
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S   
HHKB Pro 2

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #320 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 01:18:47 »

I'm not really missing row5, because having more layout & color options makes more sense to me then having the bottom row twice in different profiles.

That beeing said I wouldn't mind going full row5 either if it was an option for 1.25 mods.

Novelty set already features a gray enter key, so gray Esc > gray enter imo. ;)

Offline Tmeee

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 02:10:23 »

But i disagree.
It was obvious from the start that this keyset will not match the origianl 1800 layout. You know the 6u spacebar. The 1u modify caps have thier place and are legit, because of 75% and modern 1800 look a like layouts.
Here is just example of Duck Octagon (75% layout).
Show Image

I wouldn't be surprized if other custom 1800 keyboards allow such variety for the bottom row.

Actually there was a discussion about using the available GMK colors and i got a chance to see V2 and N9 colors on a Dutch Keyboard Meetup. I have to say, that i am pretty sure those colors dont even come close to carbon colors. V2 is to bright and N9 is to dark (almost black). So i see no point to discuss the colors further. There are no matching colors and this keyset will get its custom colors for gray and orange 100%. Currently i am waiting for GMK color chips which i'll get probably in 3-4 weeks. I'll check then the beige (ivory/bone) colors. But honetly i doubt they got matching color for beige.
Glad to hear that.We will get skidata mod set if we are going to use v2 and n9.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2016, 02:25:12 by Tmeee »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 11:17:30 »
Can 2 x 1.5u Meta/Win key be added with the 2 x 1u Alt ;D?

Thats an interessting suggestion. For example, i personaly like the winkeyles aesthetics, but i miss win key. Because i use it a lot. But i've never seen this kind of win-winkeyles layout. Maybe you got some pictures? If there are more people who like the idea of win-winkeles layout, just let me know i'll look then into it   ;)

A gray ISO enter and full row 5 bottom row, wow! Cannot let it pass if it had all these features.

I'll look into it. But i do not promisse. You have to keep in mind, this will require 3 additional keys. Ansi, Iso and numpad enter.

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #323 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 11:49:52 »
Show Image

The Bad:
- no classic colorway
- no "Alt Gr" keys

The Good.

Do GMK sets usually feature Row 5? If so, which ones?

Offline stix

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 17:43:38 »
Would just like to add +1

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #325 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 19:54:10 »
i perfer to and respect your adhering to custom color on this set. but do we unnecessarily to hit 500 MOQ on custom color? the TA need 1000MOQ, and intelly 78 negotiate to halve that to 500 MOQ, which make TA success.
on custom legend, several custom-legend definitely make this set more beautiful and wonderful, however too many custom legend keycap mould may highly boost the cost ,considerring that  these moulds are just made for this set and would not be used any more . The high cost may inhinder to hit MOQ. one or two R1 AND R4 EVEN R5 custom legend would be enough to make this set to perfection, in my opinion.
i think you definitely make it in a balanced way between number of custom legend keycaps and cost of all set .

Offline ika

« Reply #326 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 20:08:20 »
If this runs on massdrop I don't think there will be any problem hitting 500+ MOQ if the price is somewhere between 100 and 140. Pretty good shot at 1k+ given how madly Reddit loves the Carbon colorway.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #327 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 20:36:02 »
If this runs on massdrop I don't think there will be any problem hitting 500+ MOQ if the price is somewhere between 100 and 140. Pretty good shot at 1k+ given how madly Reddit loves the Carbon colorway.

Wow, I'm not on reddit that often but if what you say is true, that would be amaze balls.  Post the thread link here too if you have it.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #328 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 23:54:34 »
i perfer to and respect your adhering to custom color on this set. but do we unnecessarily to hit 500 MOQ on custom color? the TA need 1000MOQ, and intelly 78 negotiate to halve that to 500 MOQ, which make TA success.
on custom legend, several custom-legend definitely make this set more beautiful and wonderful, however too many custom legend keycap mould may highly boost the cost ,considerring that  these moulds are just made for this set and would not be used any more . The high cost may inhinder to hit MOQ. one or two R1 AND R4 EVEN R5 custom legend would be enough to make this set to perfection, in my opinion.
i think you definitely make it in a balanced way between number of custom legend keycaps and cost of all set .

I think i was not clear enough previously. This set is going to have the moq of 150. Custom colors do not add that much to pricing. The novelties will be a complete separate drop. Though Carbon and Novelties will drop at the same time :)

Offline Malenky

« Reply #329 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 08:07:25 »
GMK Carbon looks really amazing. I've come to accept that I strongly favour Cherry profile and GMK are by far the best for those doubleshots. Weird how GMK render colours are so horrible wrong though, specifically that novelty set.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #330 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 08:48:33 »
Though Carbon and Novelties will drop at the same time :)

Praise Jesus :thumb:

Offline duras

« Reply #331 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 08:53:23 »
This set looks amazing. Would be great if it came with two 2.25u Shift keys to support the Leopold FC660. Also would be nice to have an alternate R4 1.25u key to replace "Win", perhaps "CODE".
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2016, 09:19:30 by duras »

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 23:41:58 »
Bring it up already!
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline gtxorb

« Reply #333 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:10:21 »
Novelties is too expensive.......

Offline nickysan92

« Reply #334 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:14:53 »
Just wanted to say thanks for all the constant updates!

Will 100% be down for this regardless of the form it takes :)

Cheers!

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #335 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 02:00:41 »

why? how much are the novelties?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #336 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 02:44:48 »
For real? Its GMK! You don't need these Novelties but you probably want them badly. These are unnecessery luxury items. So the price is ok. Again its GMK  ;)

Just a small update: I am checking with GMK the 1.25u modifier keys in R5. If its available, we will probably go for full r5 bottom row. Spacebars ofcourse not included (or do they have also spacebars in R5???).
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2016, 02:48:33 by T0mb3ry »

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #337 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 04:19:15 »
For real? Its GMK! You don't need these Novelties but you probably want them badly. These are unnecessery luxury items. So the price is ok. Again its GMK  ;)

Just a small update: I am checking with GMK the 1.25u modifier keys in R5. If its available, we will probably go for full r5 bottom row. Spacebars ofcourse not included (or do they have also spacebars in R5???).

I thinks it's ok. As you said, it's GMK.

However, still gonna ask once more: any chance for a novelty graphine ISO enter?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #338 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 04:31:33 »
However, still gonna ask once more: any chance for a novelty graphine ISO enter?

I replied already here:

Any Chance for an ISO Novelty enter?
Pardon for the delayed reply. I dont have any ideas for a novelty iso enter. I've tried already to make one with honeycumb structure but it does not look, because of the iso enter shape.
Basically there is no chance for an graphene iso enter, because it does not look. The honeycumb structure does not go well with the iso enter shape. If i get a better idea how to make an iso enter novelties, i would add it ofcourse.

Just want to show you how an graphene iso enter looks like. I hope you can understand why i dont want to make it.

« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2016, 04:40:34 by T0mb3ry »

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 06:01:18 »
Basically there is no chance for an graphene iso enter, because it does not look. The honeycumb structure does not go well with the iso enter shape. If i get a better idea how to make an iso enter novelties, i would add it ofcourse.

Just want to show you how an graphene iso enter looks like. I hope you can understand why i dont want to make it.
Show Image

ok, yea, I see what you mean...

Offline punkpc

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 09:43:25 »
This set is looking great  :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #341 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 11:14:30 »
Just got a reply from GMK. A complete R5 bottom row is not possible :'( So we stick with R4 bottom row.

The previous R5 bottom row alone has caused an price increase of 10$. To allow more variety i decided to remove it. Hope you understand this decision. Designing something like this is more about strategy than everything else.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 12:56:38 »
Just got a reply from GMK. A complete R5 bottom row is not possible :'( So we stick with R4 bottom row.

The previous R5 bottom row alone has caused an price increase of 10$. To allow more variety i decided to remove it. Hope you understand this decision. Designing something like this is more about strategy than everything else.

+1, that is the right decision, even when it goes against the preferences of some of us, the greater good comes first.

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 11:06:21 »

I will be ordering either way! Has it been 3 months yet??  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #344 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 11:51:48 »
Just a small update.
The renders on the first page has been changed back to original colorway.
For the base kit:
- Added missing 1u r4 alt key.
- Removed Carbon periodic Novelty.

Probably i'll add all possible enter keys in grey color and one grey esc key. So people can eliminate orange keys completely.

Nope you have to wait until July :)

Offline Gengarfan

« Reply #345 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 12:14:04 »
Just a small update.
For the base kit:
Show Image

Probably i'll add all possible enter keys in grey color and one grey esc key. So people can eliminate orange keys completely.

Is there a chance of a row 4 end/delete/fn key for zz96/75% layouts? I'm somewhat new so if you can already cover those layouts then I apologize in advance!
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 May 2016, 17:30:41 by Gengarfan »

Offline johuu

« Reply #346 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 13:41:33 »
Just a small update.
For the base kit:
Show Image

You are doing a great job. I am in for GMK and SA R2 :)

Offline tuco

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 17:29:59 »
Very nice looking set, I look forward to it. Thanks

Offline mimalik

« Reply #348 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 14:53:14 »
Any possibility to add planck modifiers? I have never seen planck set from GMK, but now there are enough members with planck thx to MD. I wont mind paying a little premium for planck modifier set, my pref will be in orange but will be happy with grey too.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #349 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 09:17:38 »
Just a small update.
For the base kit:
Show Image

Gray Esc (and possibly Enter) would be awesome!  :thumb:

Will the Carbon periodic be removed completely or added to the novelties kit?
Also, why no lambda (HalfLife) love this time around?  ;)