Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon  (Read 335371 times)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: [IC] GMK Carbon
« Reply #600 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 15:46:25 »
Now let's just get the novelties down too! Already more than halfway to lowest price on those.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #601 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 16:47:26 »
Was it ever decided if this was going to use the custom colors or not?
Would like to know this as well

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #602 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 16:55:36 »

Yes this set has all 3 custom colors. GMK already received the original Carbon SA keys from me and send them to their plastic supplier for matching the color. The exact colors is not guaranteed but they will try their best to match it as good as possible. I'll receive also the first probes of the new plastic colors for approval.

Offline Pliny

• has 1800 fever
« Reply #603 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 19:19:30 »
Just joined both drops. Great job, sir.  :thumb:
"He will never, ever give you up. And, most importantly, he will never, ever let you down.”
- Melania T.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #604 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 19:32:28 »
anyone getting the novelty set but dont want the shift keys!?

hmu i'll buy them

edit: novelty, not mod set
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 July 2016, 19:43:10 by kenmai9 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #605 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 19:41:11 »
anyone getting the mod set but dont want the shift keys!?

hmu i'll buy them

At this price you should get your own full set.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #606 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 19:42:36 »

hmu i'll buy them

im talking about the extra novelty keys.. and no im not going to pay 50+ for two shift keys and a bunch of novelty keys im not going to use

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #607 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 19:47:04 »

hmu i'll buy them

im talking about the extra novelty keys.. and no im not going to pay 50+ for two shift keys and a bunch of novelty keys im not going to use

I got it now, you wrote mod set originally, but you meant novelty set, ok. I mapped your language to the actual set terminology.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #608 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 19:50:58 »
Yee my bad! I mistyped

Sent from my OnePlus III

Offline Tobi45

« Reply #609 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 20:07:49 »
Currently it seems quite likely that this drop will reach 500 participants, will there be another pricedrop if that happens? It'd be pretty awesome if this drop reached 99$ or something  :)

Offline Malenky

« Reply #610 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 20:12:21 »
Is there a maximum order quantity?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #611 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 00:03:52 »
Missing 73 participants for unlocking the lowest price for Novelties. Note the green bar (purchased) and the darker gray (commited) bar, you have to look at the progress bar of the drop. The commited is those people who'd like to participate at lowest price. If the sum of purchased and commited reaches 250 it should unlock lowest price.

We are getting closer. :)

Currently it seems quite likely that this drop will reach 500 participants, will there be another pricedrop if that happens? It'd be pretty awesome if this drop reached 99$ or something  :)

Dont know but i would love it. Its up to Massdrop actually. Anyway keep in mind it is already a great price for all the options/extras and custom colors. Just try to find atleast dolch for that price :)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #612 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 00:07:23 »
Missing 73 participants for unlocking the lowest price for Novelties. Note the green bar (purchased) and the darker gray (commited) bar, you have to look at the progress bar of the drop. The commited is those people who'd like to participate at lowest price. If the sum of purchased and commited reaches 250 it should unlock lowest price.

We are getting closer. :)

Dont know but i would love it. Its up to Massdrop actually. Anyway keep in mind it is already a great price for all the options/extras and custom colors. Just try to find atleast dolch for that price :)

Did you ever receive samples of the custom color keys?

Offline nugglets

« Reply #613 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 01:04:04 »

Yes this set has all 3 custom colors. GMK already received the original Carbon SA keys from me and send them to their plastic supplier for matching the color. The exact colors is not guaranteed but they will try their best to match it as good as possible. I'll receive also the first probes of the new plastic colors for approval.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #614 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 01:05:17 »
Saying this Carbon SA will probably happen next Year maybe even later. I dont know. Keep in mind there is also Yuri which i want to make real.

is Carbon DSA a possibility? how about that?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #615 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 01:06:16 »

hmu i'll buy them

There aren't any shift keys in the novelty set. The long keys are enter. I suppose that they are the same size as left shift, but the profile is wrong
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #616 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 10:26:57 »
Did you ever receive samples of the custom color keys?
As i said previously, i'll get the custom color samples for approval as soon as GMK receives it from its plastic supplier.
Saying this Carbon SA will probably happen next Year maybe even later. I dont know. Keep in mind there is also Yuri which i want to make real.
is Carbon DSA a possibility? how about that?
If SP doubles the thickness of DSA profile i might think about it :) No really i like DSA profile but its a little bit to thin for my taste. If it were thick and also sculpted that would be just rad.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2016, 12:12:22 by T0mb3ry »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #617 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 11:37:32 »
AND WE GOT ANOTHER DROPPOINT AVAILABLE THANKS TO YANBO!!!
105.99$ PER SET AT 500 MOQ

AND DONT FORGET TO GET NOVELTIES :p 66 COMMITS LEFT TO UNLOCK THE LOWEST PRICE
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2016, 11:39:56 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Tobi45

« Reply #618 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 12:47:10 »
Never said the price wasn't good, but 105$ is even better ;). Great job on this one man, congrats on the great selling numbers, although now I wish there was an international kit. Pretty sure we could've got like 50 sold. That's still not MoQ, but maybe GMK would've shown some mercy when the basekit sold so well. Anyway, thanks for your hard work, appreciate it :)

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #619 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 12:55:54 »
TFW things just keep getting sweeter :thumb:

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #620 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 13:16:43 »
so did we get charged yet? if we have been, do they deduct it or refund the extra?

Offline brighenne

« Reply #621 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 13:21:02 »
so did we get charged yet? if we have been, do they deduct it or refund the extra?

I believe they place a hold but then they just charge whatever the price is at the end.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #622 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 13:23:50 »
Nope they will charge you first when drop ends. They will charge only the lowest price which has been reached during the drop. So dont worry :)

Offline maximm

« Reply #623 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 14:47:20 »
Just realized those novelties would look pretty dang sweet on a AMJ/ZZ96 replacing the numpad keys!

Offline SevenU

• Grimace is Black
« Reply #624 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 17:37:39 »
I remember some GMK keys having problems with light leakage. Are these caps going to have the same problem or have they fixed problem?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Something, Something, blah, blah, blahbitty, blah

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #625 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 20:06:47 »
I remember some GMK keys having problems with light leakage. Are these caps going to have the same problem or have they fixed problem?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Light leakage arise due to many factors.
1,old moulds,but this won't happen to GMK carbon and GMK skidata organized by karura and other new GMK GBs except for Triumph Adler which is produced using old moulds, the old moulds will cause light leakage. Now the current GMK GBs are produced by new moulds. Perhaps GMK would plan to improve current new moulds to improve light leakage less, i don't know the exact and definite result.
2,the mix formula for two color materials to double-shot for keys may vary in ratio. Different ratio in mix formula may cause light leakage. Taking the skidata as an example, karura and his team have worked hard and labouriously to improve the mix formula used in skidata. they improve a lot in avoiding light leakage. i am definitely sure tombery will be aware of that and figure  out with GMK.
3,Choosing different color materials may cause light leakage  to varying extent. Take skidata as an good example, the V2 orange(could be found in GMK color card) chosen in skidata is much better than the V2 orange inGMK charred orange set. Though they are both called V2 orange , V2 orange in skidata is better in avoid light leakage than V2 orange in charred orange.  i think these V2 orange materials used in skidata and charred orange is ditinguished different. All this would great attribute to karura and his team to earnest hard work and penatrating sight to choose the right  V2 orange material to avoid light leakage.
Briefly speaking, 1, won't happen to current GMK carbon. 2 and 3 , i think tombery would choose the right color and material to avoid light leakage and  make GMK carbon show the vivid and charming orange as SA carbon .

Offline shower_king

« Reply #626 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 20:49:33 »
ofcoure ,in my opinion,  light leakage doesn't either mean less materials used in double-shot for keys or low quality of keys.
IT only means color materials chosen and different mixture in proportion in production. However, worn-out old mould causing light leakage is anther thing.
Just my opinion

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #627 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 22:58:10 »
AND WE GOT ANOTHER DROPPOINT AVAILABLE THANKS TO YANBO!!!
105.99$ PER SET AT 500 MOQ

AND DONT FORGET TO GET NOVELTIES :p 66 COMMITS LEFT TO UNLOCK THE LOWEST PRICE

Congratulations on the success of your design.

Offline Proyoyo

« Reply #628 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 23:21:59 »
Hoping that the Novelty set would reach the lowest price point  :thumb:

Offline shower_king

« Reply #629 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 23:46:29 »
Hoping that the Novelty set would reach the lowest price point  :thumb:

i definitely believe Novelty set would hit that , it just  took less 2 days before it reach there, it has 12 days to go

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #630 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 05:11:56 »
those fake carbon made me feel much better after I missed the skidata.

because if I got the skidata so many keycaps would get wasted to made it look like carbon.

I need the carbon to heal me right now because I'm so much pain form Skidata markup </3

now, if I paid 300$ I can get 2 sets of GMK Carbon instead of Skidata base set and color pack and no keycap would get wasted as well.

Thanks for made it happen <3

I honestly don't think you got the right idea. Carbon with the custom colour MOQ might make it more expensive than Skidata, and there's no way you will be getting "two sets" for the price of one, as SKIDATA+ was originally priced at cost (during the GB).

I'm posting with the intents of stopping misinformation from happening, so I will be objective with what I have to say.

Also, I want to point out, custom colours may seem like a good idea for the sake of having a custom colour, but it will potentially be more risky to run due to the custom plastic compound mixture, which might not be as robust as the standard GMK colours which have undergone extensive testing and reformulation to prevent lightbleed and other issues.

I wish GMK Carbon success and have every intent as a GMK fan of wanting to see it succeed, but I must to point out that Skidata colours are literally the same as the mockups posted (90% or higher match), and that going with a custom GMK compound might end up becoming complete disaster.

Even if the orange wasn't so similarly matching, is there really a market or need for another Orange set?

Once again:

1) If you insist on using a custom colour, you have to understand the downsides of it.
The colour is not extensively tested by GMK and may have issues.
Some issues being lightbleed and swirls on the plastic:

Show Image

Do you really want something that will turn out like that? Going with a custom colour will potentially look like that. It would be absolutely garbage.

2) If you do not go with a custom colour, then you literally have the same colours as Skidata+.
I don't think it's worthwhile to make such a similar set, as you can already find a used beige set and pair it up with Skidata+.

Just my thoughts on the options. Either way, I don't think enough research has been done by the OP, and your options aren't great. In fact, it is a really bad idea to go with custom colours, but if you go with the standard orange, then you will literally have Skidata+.

Just wanted to share my experience from all the research I have conducted, and hope this helps.

Just wanted to remind everyone not to get too excited, as this this set may be complete garbage, and more expensive than skamdata.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline ntw

« Reply #631 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 05:49:39 »
I have been missing out on the discussion of this so if anyone can let me know if GMK Carbon is using custom colors?
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline GiveCandyy

« Reply #632 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 05:55:18 »
I have been missing out on the discussion of this so if anyone can let me know if GMK Carbon is using custom colors?
yes it is custom iirc. T0mb3ry sent original carbon caps to gmk for color matching as well.  :thumb:
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #633 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 06:06:24 »
A thought I just had regarding the two seperate shippings: The shipping costs will stay the same as mentioned, but won't import taxes be almost double? (in CH for example I'll pay about 25$ import for the novelty set if that gets valued at 60$ and about 35$ for the base kit)...

no possibility to have them packed into the same box?

Offline mathilda

« Reply #634 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 06:57:05 »
Still cannot understand why MD didn't group base and novelties kit into a single drop

Offline GiveCandyy

« Reply #635 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 07:48:40 »
Still cannot understand why MD didn't group base and novelties kit into a single drop

would've been so much better, making the novelties optional in a single drop.

I would be laughing my ass off if massdrop charged shipping for both and then proceeded to ship them together in one package.  :))
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #636 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 11:46:45 »

because if I got the skidata so many keycaps would get wasted to made it look like carbon.

I need the carbon to heal me right now because I'm so much pain form Skidata markup </3

now, if I paid 300$ I can get 2 sets of GMK Carbon instead of Skidata base set and color pack and no keycap would get wasted as well.

I honestly don't think you got the right idea. Carbon with the custom colour MOQ might make it more expensive than Skidata, and there's no way you will be getting "two sets" for the price of one, as SKIDATA+ was originally priced at cost (during the GB).

I'm posting with the intents of stopping misinformation from happening, so I will be objective with what I have to say.

Also, I want to point out, custom colours may seem like a good idea for the sake of having a custom colour, but it will potentially be more risky to run due to the custom plastic compound mixture, which might not be as robust as the standard GMK colours which have undergone extensive testing and reformulation to prevent lightbleed and other issues.

I wish GMK Carbon success and have every intent as a GMK fan of wanting to see it succeed, but I must to point out that Skidata colours are literally the same as the mockups posted (90% or higher match), and that going with a custom GMK compound might end up becoming complete disaster.

Even if the orange wasn't so similarly matching, is there really a market or need for another Orange set?

Once again:

1) If you insist on using a custom colour, you have to understand the downsides of it.

Show Image

Do you really want something that will turn out like that? Going with a custom colour will potentially look like that. It would be absolutely garbage.

2) If you do not go with a custom colour, then you literally have the same colours as Skidata+.
I don't think it's worthwhile to make such a similar set, as you can already find a used beige set and pair it up with Skidata+.

Just my thoughts on the options. Either way, I don't think enough research has been done by the OP, and your options aren't great. In fact, it is a really bad idea to go with custom colours, but if you go with the standard orange, then you will literally have Skidata+.

Just wanted to share my experience from all the research I have conducted, and hope this helps.

Just wanted to remind everyone not to get too excited, as this this set may be complete garbage, and more expensive than skamdata.

how is it gonna be more expensive?

tbh i dont care about light bleed, because i think backlighting is tacky anyways. what other issues are there?
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2016, 11:48:44 by kenmai9 »

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #637 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 15:45:52 »

Once again:

Show Image

tbh i dont care about light bleed, because i think backlighting is tacky anyways. what other issues are there?

WOOOOOSHHHHHH

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #638 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 16:17:22 »

Once again:

Show Image

WOOOOOSHHHHHH

WOW GOOD JOKE BRO HARLARIOUS

Offline kenlee

« Reply #639 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 18:00:24 »
i think base kits will achieve 1K+ plus china's orders, so will it have another drop at 1K?
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2016, 18:05:44 by kenlee »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #640 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 18:36:50 »
i think base kits will achieve 1K+ plus china's orders, so will it have another drop at 1K?

Hopefully; but, unlikely.

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #641 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 09:42:45 »

Once again:

Show Image

there's no way you will be getting "two sets" for the price of one

ิbecause you would get 3 sets for that price

He's god damn right  :eek:

Offline nugglets

« Reply #642 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 12:22:43 »
Novelties tipped at $49.99  :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #643 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 12:31:25 »
Novelties tipped at $49.99  :thumb:
Yep the lowest price for Novelties has been unlocked. Damn thats something special for GMK keyset :)

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #644 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 13:04:01 »
surprisingly (unsurprisingly?) one of the cheapest gmk sets for the base kit and on par with several with the novelties - congrats t0mb3ry

Offline Jedi

« Reply #645 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 13:16:45 »
Fantastic work T0mb3ry, love everything about the way you work.  AND the novelties unlocked.  This is just awesome man.  Really great job! :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #646 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 14:09:25 »
surprisingly (unsurprisingly?) one of the cheapest gmk sets for the base kit and on par with several with the novelties - congrats t0mb3ry
Fantastic work T0mb3ry, love everything about the way you work.  AND the novelties unlocked.  This is just awesome man.  Really great job! :thumb:

Thanks guys! But its not only about my work. So i'd like to thank everyone who gave me constructive feedback during IC phase. There is still some work to do for GMK Carbon. But we'll succeed, like we've succeeded before.

Cheers!

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #647 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 14:24:15 »
anyone want to part out the enter keys for the novelty set? i do not want the novelties, jsut the enter key, please DM me

Offline shower_king

« Reply #648 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 21:38:55 »
have joined in this carbon party. congratulations

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #649 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 17:00:20 »
Just noticed that the estimated ship date is October 10th, going to be a great set for Halloween!!