Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon  (Read 335366 times)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Re: [IC] GMK Carbon
« Reply #650 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 17:06:01 »
have joined in this carbon party. congratulations
Thank you buddy :)

Just noticed that the estimated ship date is October 10th, going to be a great set for Halloween!!
Then it's gonna be a good Halloween. A carbonated one :)

Offline VereChi

« Reply #651 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 23:05:18 »
Will we have a price unlock at 1000?
China have tons of orders and they will place order in the last hour.

Offline ntw

« Reply #652 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 01:46:04 »
there should be another tier from GMK but not so sure about the pricing from Massdrop.

but anyway, joined!!
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline nugglets

« Reply #653 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 02:55:14 »
Will we have a price unlock at 1000?
China have tons of orders and they will place order in the last hour.

They usually negotiate new drop points once they have confirmed orders of that amount, at least from what I've seen in previous drops that added unlock points.

So if possible, it would be better for the China orders to be placed with enough time to allow this to happen I think.

I could be totally wrong, too, but again that seems to be how it's worked in the past.

Offline need

« Reply #654 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 09:41:17 »
Order count from China is currently 403
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2016, 09:45:08 by need »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #655 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 09:54:29 »
So are they just ordering independent of Massdrop, or is this coordinated somehow?

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #656 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 09:56:25 »
they submit the order to massdrop and it gets added to the drop iirc. if it'll potentially get us another drop point i'd like the cn group buy to at least submit the ~300 or so orders to tip us over for the time being just to see if we get anything at 1000 sets.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #657 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 10:14:19 »
If the drop gets under one hundred, this would be epic, I just hope this time GMK performs better than before.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #658 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 15:19:49 »
Hey!

I got only few hours time to get some feedback. So i make it quick.

There will be Ergodox addon in a few days.

The upper cluster is not up to discussion since its logical. That i'd like to hear is opinion on the tumb cluster. I've chosen row2 because its the most even/angleless row in cherry profile. So if you'd like to suggest another row then just reply with explanation.

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #659 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 16:18:53 »
I suspect row 3 would work as well - it's slightly lower which might be more comfortable?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #660 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 16:24:17 »
I suspect row 3 would work as well - it's slightly lower which might be more comfortable?

Then they are going to be lower than 2u key which is row 2. Though there is 2 key for row 3 but it has crazy angle.

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #661 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 16:28:24 »
ahh I see - row 3 is probably most solid then, can't think of a better profile.

might end up being popular even among non-ergodox users considering the 6 carbon 2u keys =p

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #662 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 17:01:36 »
How many 2u keys do you need, though...? If you don't have an ergodox, I mean. And I don't.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #663 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 17:45:05 »
Ok seems like everybody is fine with ergodox addon. The time is over. I will take no more suggestions. The addon stays as it is.

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2016, 18:04:10 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Jedi

« Reply #664 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 18:29:42 »
Well this is just all there needs to be said. Ergodox support is coming to GMK.
Fantastic work T0mb3ry, seriously you never stop. :thumb:

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #665 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 20:55:07 »
I hope there is a bumped F/J add-on too, since it's not too late to add add-on's

Compared to the heft of the other keycaps, these are just 2 keycaps that change so much for many people
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #666 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 01:02:50 »
This set has an epic price. Really price worthy. Still I have a hard time justifying paying $50 for the two keys I want in the novelty key set.

Offline misconceit

« Reply #667 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 06:47:44 »
I don't really need the ErgoDox, but I need the 2x R4 1.5u blanks since there's no 1.5u meta keys :(
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S   
HHKB Pro 2

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #668 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 08:03:44 »
How many 2u keys do you need, though...? If you don't have an ergodox, I mean. And I don't.
planck and preonic users will want them!

Offline kkwapnioski

« Reply #669 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 23:05:08 »
Nice! Another price point was added for the novelties. Come on 500!

Offline tmk1207

• Yêu Màu Tím
    • Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club <3
« Reply #670 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 01:53:16 »
Order count from Vietnam is currently 70

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #671 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 05:41:53 »
Nice! Another price point was added for the novelties. Come on 500!
Good stuff! Might order it now 😀

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #672 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 05:54:17 »
Already closing on 40 for the Ergodox kit. Sweet! High limit though, 150 kits...

Offline priyadi

« Reply #673 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 09:21:46 »
T0mb3ry, I didn't notice the IC for the Ergodox kit. I don't know if it is still possible at this point, but adding 2x R3U1 + 1x R4U2 is all you need to make the kit compatible with Planck & Preonic. Maybe even ditch the R4U2 and let the MIT users use R2U2 for space (might even be more ergonomic that way), and all we need are additional 2xR3 to fill Planck/Preonic with GMK Carbon goodness!
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline ndakota79

« Reply #674 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 09:38:41 »
How is the quality of the caps?

I was disappointed by every single caps I buyed till today.
The thick PBT dyesubed caps from Ducky (green & cream) were warped and the edges had to be smoothed out with a nail file.
The thick PBT double shot caps from Vortex via Massdrop had feelable lettering, despite beeing double shot. Not precisely produced.
The PBTs of my new Pok3r do have some warping going on and the lettering is somewhat feelable. They also do have this pin on top from production. And some of the edges had to be smoothed out with nail file. Im also guessing, the lettering won't hold forever.
The stock Ducky Shine 3 ABS caps have this coating, that feels strange to me.

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #675 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 09:47:14 »
Hi, T0mb3ry. Just would like to say thanks for finally adding an Ergodox kit :) I thought I was dreaming when I saw it

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #676 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 09:48:27 »

The thick PBT dyesubed caps from Ducky (green & cream) were warped and the edges had to be smoothed out with a nail file.
The thick PBT double shot caps from Vortex via Massdrop had feelable lettering, despite beeing double shot. Not precisely produced.
The PBTs of my new Pok3r do have some warping going on and the lettering is somewhat feelable. They also do have this pin on top from production. And some of the edges had to be smoothed out with nail file. Im also guessing, the lettering won't hold forever.

They're made in Germany. Since you're also aus Deutschland, I'll let you be the judge on that.  ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #677 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 10:03:46 »

Under the risk to oversimplify the explanation, the short answer for your question is this, what you have tried are key caps in the lower echelon of quality in terms of thickness and profile. The following partial list is what it is generally accepted as the relative quality of some of the most common key cap sets; however, there is a great extend of controversy on this:

OG Cherry PBT dye sub legends.
OG Cherry ABS double shot legends.
BSP PBT dye sub legends.
GMK ABS double shot (Like GMK Carbon).
Gateron PBT dye sub legends.
Vortex thick PBT dye sub legeds in Cherry profile.

All the above are Cherry profile.
SP SA double shot
SP DSA double shot
SP DCS double shot
SP DSA PBT dye sub legends (Warped key caps)
Tai Hao and Vortex double shots PBT or ABS OEM profile
Most OEM pad printed and laser engraved ABS sets.

Besides quality, OG Cherry and BSP made key cap sets are only available in standard layouts, that do not match some custom ones like HHKB for example, that is an advantage of new sets like Carbon.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2016, 12:40:39 by ideus »

Offline ndlu2

« Reply #678 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 10:57:06 »
Is there any chance of adding 2 1u R3 blanks to the ergodox kit for full plank compatibility?

Offline ndakota79

« Reply #679 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 13:12:58 »

Under the risk to oversimplify the explanation, the short answer for your question is this, what you have tried are key caps in the lower echelon of quality in terms of thickness and profile.

Alright, thats enough for me to join the drop :)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #680 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 16:48:50 »
There will be probably an price unlock at 1000. Its not up to me so i do not promise.
Also its possible there will be key injection (homing bars key). Again i do not promise. If this is going to be the case, then do not expect significant price drop at 1000 moq, since those extra keys cost money.

Also do not expect any other extensions. ErgoDox was an exception since the popularity of ergodox is growing. As you can see it will most probably tip and i got no doubt about it. So it was a good decision, Though very risky at that drop stage.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #681 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 17:33:09 »
There will be probably an price unlock at 1000. Its not up to me so i do not promise.
Also its possible there will be key injection (homing bars key). Again i do not promise. If this is going to be the case, then do not expect significant price drop at 1000 moq, since those extra keys cost money.

Also do not expect any other extensions. ErgoDox was an exception since the popularity of ergodox is growing. As you can see it will most probably tip and i got no doubt about it. So it was a good decision, Though very risky at that drop stage.

Getting the set price for the main set under the psychological barrier of one hundred will make this set epic, now with Ergodox coverage and its own set of novelties, well, no keyboard aficionado would want to be left out of this buy.

Offline robotmaxtron

« Reply #682 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 18:36:50 »
I'm really glad to see the Ergodox kit look like it's going to hit MOQ. I think I was like the 8th person on it so I was a little nervous but I'm pretty thrilled that this will be coming together. If the base tips at 1000 that's great and if we can get homing bars even better but ultimately I'm just hyped that this is even happening.

woo! Time to start shopping for Ergodox parts I guess.

Offline ndakota79

« Reply #683 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 20:16:40 »
Alright, I guess I'm running into a problem here.

I noticed some people having difficulties with wrong side mounted cherry switches (like the Pok3r has) and cherry profile keycaps. See this thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82577.0

There also are known problems with Keyboards with backlighting and cherry profile caps.

If i can't use these nice GMK Caps with either my Ducky or my Pok3r, that would be bad …

Can anyone confirm the problems?

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #684 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 21:05:05 »

I noticed some people having difficulties with wrong side mounted cherry switches (like the Pok3r has) and cherry profile keycaps. See this thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82577.0

There also are known problems with Keyboards with backlighting and cherry profile caps.

If i can't use these nice GMK Caps with either my Ducky or my Pok3r, that would be bad …

Cherry profile all but requires 1.8mm LEDs to allow sufficient clearance.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #685 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 22:22:49 »

I had a Poker X, the original one, and I used an OG Cherry set on it with no issues at all, it had the usual LEDs in the Caps Lock, under the space bar and somewhere else I do not remember and they produce no interference with the key caps. I do not know about the issues with the Pok3r, but I cannot imagine how the same standard MX switches may cause issues with some key caps. I also installed regular in switch LEDs in a few switches on one of my Nerd60 PCB that I always use with OG Cherry sets with no issues, either.

You should contact one of the fellows that reported the issue and ask for specifics; but, again, if that were the case there should be all the people having issues with their boards and Cherry key caps, not just a few, actually, this is the first time I heard about this kind of problem.

In any case, if you buy the set and then have any issues with your boards there will be always people looking to buy it at the classifieds, so there is no risk at all, at least I do not see a problem with no solution, but that is just me, it is up to you. I do not want to convince anyone to get a set.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2016, 22:53:34 by ideus »

Offline ndakota79

« Reply #686 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 09:19:01 »
Well, I WANT those keycaps, problems or not  :p It's just time for me to test some with really good quality.

Worst case would be, that I had to buy a new keyboard just to use them properly ...

Back to the problem, people seem to contradict one another. I opened a Thread specific for the compatibility issues: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83570.0

Some say they didn't ever notice problems, others claim that thicker caps with lower profile do indeed cause problems. Maybe it's just not noticeable enough for everyone to register, especially with clicky switches? On the other hand this would effect many keyboards, so more people should have noticed?

Offline kenlee

« Reply #687 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 09:36:49 »
Well, I WANT those keycaps, problems or not  :p It's just time for me to test some with really good quality.

Worst case would be, that I had to buy a new keyboard just to use them properly ...

Back to the problem, people seem to contradict one another. I opened a Thread specific for the compatibility issues: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83570.0

Some say they didn't ever notice problems, others claim that thicker caps with lower profile do indeed cause problems. Maybe it's just not noticeable enough for everyone to register, especially with clicky switches? On the other hand this would effect many keyboards, so more people should have noticed?

more you read more you confused

Others' saying is always saying

Just buy and use it that will be your real feeling.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #688 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 09:43:59 »

The best you can do is just get a set and try it by yourself on your own boards, the information you are getting is contradictory because each case is different from the other and they are different from yours, they use a myriad of different switches with or without LEDs and the most important, in this case, they use different types of "Cherry" profile caps from different vendors, some are PBT, some ABS double shots, coming from different molds, so they are not the same.

Offline ndakota79

« Reply #689 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:24:47 »
As I Said, I'm definitely in the drop. And I will keep you informed about the matter when my set arrives in oktober.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #690 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:52:16 »
Great to learn about the possibility of bumped F/J add-ons, I guess the new challenge for me is to decide whether to order 3 or 4 sets :)

The alpha's in the renders just look so beautiful
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #691 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:28:58 »

Even on switches that do not have LEDs, thick cherry or step sculpture keycaps will strike the switch top of a cherry switch that is mounted upside-down and change the feel of the keypress. In my experience, it has never resulted in a key that doesn't work or gets stuck, just ones that can feel soft when bottoming out. Whether or not this bothers the user (or is even noticeable) obviously varies from person to person.

You can test this if you have a keyboard with upside-down mounted cherry switches and some thick, low-profile keycaps by pressing down one of the row 1 keys (which are taller) and a row 3 key (shortest) at the same time. If the row 3 key feels like it is bottoming out softer, the keycap is striking the switch top and/or LED. I have experienced this on my Pok3r (upside-down cherry switches and no LEDs) but do not have the issue when using the same keycaps on my B.face (standard switch mounting).
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #692 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:38:16 »
The good part of this discussion, in my case, is that I became aware that the SGH60 features up side down switches while the GH60 (like the one TK sells) has a layout for standard mount, and that the turned switches may cause different feeling while typing. The only thing that do not match is that in my experience with the original Poker X (with turned upside down switches) I do not recall any difference in feeling with my OG Cherry sets.

Offline priyadi

« Reply #693 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:58:42 »

So... absolutely no chance for extra 2xR3 keys for Planck/Preonic users?
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #694 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:04:49 »

So... absolutely no chance for extra 2xR3 keys for Planck/Preonic users?

Since the second drop point of ergodox is revealed, we cant add those two keys. But if Ergodox starts closing to 500 (which i dont believe) point i think this could be the oportunity to insert those keys. So at 500 probably.

Offline priyadi

« Reply #695 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:28:50 »
Since the second drop point of ergodox is revealed, we cant add those two keys. But if Ergodox starts closing to 500 (which i dont believe) point i think this could be the oportunity to insert those keys. So at 500 probably.

A catch-22 maybe. Cannot support Planck/Preonic until about 500, but probably won't be able to reach 500 without the Planck/Preonic crowd. Can you let GMK/MD know about the situation? Maybe they can give you some flexibility about this. P/P support should also give some boost to the main drop too.

Sorry if I sound pushy. But we are thiiiiiiis ☞☜ close...

Offline priyadi

« Reply #696 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 13:21:56 »
@T0mb3ry: How about changing 2 of the existing black R2 to R3? These are supposed to be for the thumb clusters right? Maybe ergodox users won't mind if one of the key is R3?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #697 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 13:51:40 »
@T0mb3ry: How about changing 2 of the existing black R2 to R3? These are supposed to be for the thumb clusters right? Maybe ergodox users won't mind if one of the key is R3?
I would rather take two grey keys from row 4 since there are enough keys. Also i think most of us would put arrow cluster and all the 1u alt, ctrl, code on row 4. So there are plenty of keys for row 4 to replace and play around with. I'll talk with Yanbo i think that would be possible.

Anyway great suggestion.

By the way, i hope you know that you cant use those graphene 2u keys from Ergodox kit for an mit planck. The thing is Cherry profile is cylindrical. Those 2u graphene keys are made for vertical placement. So if place them horizontal then it will be not that comfortable because of edges.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2016, 14:03:53 by T0mb3ry »

Offline priyadi

« Reply #698 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 14:13:14 »
I would rather take two grey keys from row 4 since there are enough keys. Also i think most of us would put arrow cluster and all the 1u alt, ctrl, code on row 4. So there are plenty of keys for row 4 to replace and play around with. I'll talk with Yanbo i think that would be possible.

Anyway great suggestion.

By the way, i hope you know that you cant use those graphene 2u keys from Ergodox kit for an mit planck. The thing is Cherry profile is cylindrical. Those 2u graphene keys are made for vertical placement. So if place them horizontal then it will be not that comfortable because of edges.

Unfortunately R4 are all taken :(. P/P needs all 14 of them.

Yes, I just realized we can't use the graphene keys. If the space is impossible to obtain, then the only way is to use backspace in a pinch, but that would really sucks.

Offline priyadi

« Reply #699 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 14:18:27 »