Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon  (Read 335378 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] GMK Carbon
« Reply #900 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 20:32:10 »
ideus, you are requesting an 6u but did you even join the GB?

I respectfully suggest you to read properly: I did not request an space bar, I just asked about it, because it was a bit strange, seeing that the OP put in some other space bar sizes that, at least to my knowledge, are less popular or needed; however, it is exclusively his call to add whatever space bar size he wants; but, regarding my participation in the buy, it is a private matter, you are not an MD official, as far as I know, and even if you were one your would not be entitled to ask about it publicly, each order is still private. I do not feel the inclination to explain myself here about that, either if I joined or did not, it is not of your business.

One more time: This is the OP's group buy; thus, only his rules apply, not yours. If you think that I cannot post a comment here, you should reconsider your participation in a public forum and open your own one, because that level of intervention is far beyond the rights of any member here.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #901 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 20:50:14 »
You can push someone off a building and claim gravity did the killing, it doesn't matter how indirect you are, a request is a request

You are funnily pulling my curiosity/query to different lengths, but denying that your request wasn't a request, at least be consistent on your ethical/logical stance

------

I'm not even against an 6u spacebar by the way, it would be nice to own one, but I would rather have an 6.25u spare, rather than an 6u with an unclear purpose and compatibility
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline krisst

« Reply #902 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 00:08:14 »
Yeah i'll add 1.75u keys to spacebars kit.

Dont know why people think that 6u spacebar would fit topre boards. Afaik you can use only topre spacebars since they got special stabs which you cant replace just like that. Also i heard or read somewhere that the 6u spacebar has an offcenter stem which makes it fit only  cherry 1800er boards. So its just a niche thing. However i'll ask GMK more about it.... I mean i'll add it so everybody is happy...  ;D

Some topre users novatouched their keyboard, mostly hhkb pro2 users. That might be one of the reason they would like to see 6u spacebars. I am sure you already knew about that.

I might have to get a hhkb in the future too...
You can't use mx spacebars on novatouched topre boards. The only use would be for custom HHKB mx boards, like the X60 or the Duck Viper.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Thank for the tip. Never knew about that. I suppose GON's HHKB will work too? These Non-Topre MX boards uses 7u right? If so, 6u mx spacebars are for even more uncommon boards then.

Offline numberfive

« Reply #903 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 19:57:43 »
Can't wait for this kit to come in!  Two questions:

1. With this being my first mass drop purchase, are they shipped out as they're produced, or all at once?
2. How do we get in on that sweet, sweet orange spacebar kit action?

Thanks!

Offline robotmaxtron

« Reply #904 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 00:00:32 »
Can't wait for this kit to come in!  Two questions:

1. With this being my first mass drop purchase, are they shipped out as they're produced, or all at once?
2. How do we get in on that sweet, sweet orange spacebar kit action?

Thanks!

Yes, they'll all ship out at onceish. Likely it's done in small waves but ultimately everybody's going to get their shipment around the same time.

Orange Spacebars/community pack I suspect will probably be done on Massdrop but I don't think anything's been officially decided yet.

Offline shangrila500

« Reply #905 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 02:08:37 »
Community kit:
Show Image

Spacebar kit:
Show Image

The spacebars cover also some upcoming split and ergonomic  boards.

I can hardly believe this is actually happening! Spacebars for my upcoming VE.A! It just keeps getting better. Thanks so much for your continual work!

I thought the VE.A spacebars were 1.75. Did I miss something?

Take a look at this picture. Spacebars are numpad 0 and right shiftkey. 2u and 2.75u.
Show Image

This is what ZeFyr/Vermillion said about the VE.A

"Left spc is num pad 0
Right spc is right shift
No need to produce any keycap
ANSI standard plus 1.75 shift covers all"

Hence my confusion. You do seem to be right though, it looks like it is a 2.75, I guess ZeFyr misspoke.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #906 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 02:12:37 »
Community kit:
Show Image

Spacebar kit:
Show Image

The spacebars cover also some upcoming split and ergonomic  boards.

I can hardly believe this is actually happening! Spacebars for my upcoming VE.A! It just keeps getting better. Thanks so much for your continual work!

I thought the VE.A spacebars were 1.75. Did I miss something?

Take a look at this picture. Spacebars are numpad 0 and right shiftkey. 2u and 2.75u.
Show Image

This is what ZeFyr/Vermillion said about the VE.A

"Left spc is num pad 0
Right spc is right shift
No need to produce any keycap
ANSI standard plus 1.75 shift covers all"

Hence my confusion. You do seem to be right though, it looks like it is a 2.75, I guess ZeFyr misspoke.

What zefyr said is correct.

Regular 2.75 shift is used for right space, and a 1.75 shift is used for right split shift.

So any ANSI plus 1.75 shift set should cover this layout.

Offline nicx

« Reply #907 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 11:42:24 »
I would def get in on this!

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #908 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 15:48:39 »
Hi has this "drop" ended? :D shaw it on massdrop. but want to know if its still in the making? just want to request/support a Nordic child kit :) the set looks awesome btw
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2016, 15:50:12 by pon10 »

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #909 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 15:59:41 »
Hi has this "drop" ended? :D shaw it on massdrop. but want to know if its still in the making? just want to request/support a Nordic child kit :) the set looks awesome btw

Uhm sry the drop ended some weeks ago :/

Some addons might show up to drop but not the base set.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #910 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 16:06:57 »
whats the timeline for this again? sorry if it was posted

Offline pon10

« Reply #911 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 16:18:36 »

Cool, thanks for getting back. maybe a after enough request we will se a new drop :) Awesome work you did on this. did it end up with a nordic child kit?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #912 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 16:19:46 »

The drop started on 11th July and ended on 25th July. The start date of IC you can read in the first thread post. Estimated shiping day is 10th October 2016, but hey the orange color is still being matched so i expect a delay.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #913 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 16:20:22 »

The drop started on 11th July and ended on 25th July. The start date of IC you can read in the first thread post. Estimated shiping day is 10th October 2016, but hey the orange color is still being matched so i expect a delay.

tyvm sir!

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #914 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 16:25:28 »

Tombery do you have a rough idea when you will start the community and ISO kit and how long the buy will run? I will be away sporadically for work so I might miss the buy if it's short duration/short notice, and I absolutely do not want to miss being able to fully fit my UK board!
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #915 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 16:29:14 »

Tombery do you have a rough idea when you will start the community and ISO kit and how long the buy will run? I will be away sporadically for work so I might miss the buy if it's short duration/short notice, and I absolutely do not want to miss being able to fully fit my UK board!

Cool, thanks for getting back. maybe a after enough request we will se a new drop :) Awesome work you did on this. did it end up with a nordic child kit?

Sorry i dont have any ETA yet. I've passed the ISO Addon to MD already, but its up to MD to dicide when to run it. Probably there will be also an spacebar addon but i do not guarantee.

Offline pon10

« Reply #916 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 16:32:13 »

Sorry i dont have any ETA yet. I've passed the ISO Addon to MD already, but its up to MD to dicide when to run it. Probably there will be also an spacebar addon but i do not guarantee.

NO STRESS. thanks, we will se what happens at MD.. :)

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #917 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 19:34:07 »
How about a Dvorak/Colemak kit. It not quite had to made by GMK,I think.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #918 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 19:44:36 »

How many extra keycaps?

I think with the 150MOQ, community/private GB's just became more affordable, couple people could get together, each cash in $100, order some custom/few keycaps
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #919 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 00:23:16 »

How many extra keycaps?

I think with the 150MOQ, community/private GB's just became more affordable, couple people could get together, each cash in $100, order some custom/few keycaps

Fully support that! I'll need 3 myself and am amongst my friends I count 8-10 already :) plus I won't mind a higher price just to be able to get Colemak in GMK.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #920 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 03:48:35 »

How many extra keycaps?

30 1u keys and a 1.75u BS.

It‘s hard to collect 150 orders for MOQ.
why GMK needs 150 order to form a GB at least? 
A lot of SA GBs just only need 25 MOQ for a Dvorak/Colemak kit.
So sad, we D/C users are so rare..............

Community/private GB sounds more feasible..............but not easy............
If it's SA CARBON or YURI keycaps, i’d like to join D/C lovers to have a try.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #921 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 06:33:34 »

How many extra keycaps?

30 1u keys and a 1.75u BS.

It‘s hard to collect 150 orders for MOQ.
why GMK needs 150 order to form a GB at least? 
A lot of SA GBs just only need 25 MOQ for a Dvorak/Colemak kit.
So sad, we D/C users are so rare..............

Community/private GB sounds more feasible..............but not easy............
If it's SA CARBON or YURI keycaps, i’d like to join D/C lovers to have a try.

That's just how different companies operate. Signature Plastics is more lenient than GMK I think

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #922 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 06:46:50 »
I had no idea that many keycaps were needed :(

I guess you would go for a GMK WoB addition as a small-GB, that way, at least Colemak/Dvorak users could use WoB keycaps, like the ones Uniqey bundles with it's keyboards - in all cases, it's a pretty luxurious choice

Considering most sets don't even include bumped F/J's, it's unrealistic to expect an alternative alpha layout making it's way in to regular GB's

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #923 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 10:27:03 »
I'm definitely in for a colemak/dvorak set, but I think we'll have trouble meeting MOQ, unfortunately.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #924 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 10:32:09 »
To this day I still keep reading cabrón whenever I see this set's name.  :confused:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #925 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 10:38:37 »
To this day I still keep reading cabrón whenever I see this set's name.  ???

That has a very negative connotation in Spanish my friend, are you aware of it?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #926 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 10:39:30 »

Absolutely I am.

Offline brighenne

« Reply #927 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 10:40:11 »

I feel like that's the only connotation anybody knows it in.

Offline Trouhel

« Reply #928 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 05:53:41 »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and actually opened an account with the sole purpose to point out that there might be a mistake in the ISO international add-on kit.

I may be wrong since I do not speak any nordic language (while the layout comes from the post of a swedish user of the forum), but I could not find anywhere the greater/less and greater/less/backslash keys shown in the render.

Every source I checked (wikipedia, microsoft, wasd, some SP international kits, Unix X11 keyboard definition files), all have less/greater instead of greater/less, while the latter does not seem to appear anywhere.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #929 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 06:05:11 »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and actually opened an account with the sole purpose to point out that there might be a mistake in the ISO international add-on kit.

I may be wrong since I do not speak any nordic language (while the layout comes from the post of a swedish user of the forum), but I could not find anywhere the greater/less and greater/less/backslash keys shown in the render.

Every source I checked (wikipedia, microsoft, wasd, some SP international kits, Unix X11 keyboard definition files), all have less/greater instead of greater/less, while the latter does not seem to appear anywhere.

They are already included in the Carbon basekit.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #930 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 06:31:49 »
That's not the problem. It should be

> < |

Not

< > |

Now when I look at the set there are actually more keys missing to make the Nordic kit complete...

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #931 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 06:54:33 »
Look at the base kit: http://i.imgur.com/AgKEkg5.jpg. It has the correct key.

Offline Trouhel

« Reply #932 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 09:16:03 »
Let me be more specific:

I was talking about the < > \ and < > keys, not the < > | key included in the base kit.

This < > | key covers Germany, Finland, Iceland, and Sweden, but the < > \ key is needed for Denmark, and the < > key for Norway.

These last two (IHMO wrongly,) appear as > < \ and > < in the rendered ISO kit.

Hope this helps.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #933 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 09:31:39 »
Let me be more specific:

I was talking about the < > \ and < > keys, not the < > | key included in the base kit.

This < > | key covers Germany, Finland, Iceland, and Sweden, but the < > \ key is needed for Denmark, and the < > key for Norway.

These last two (IHMO wrongly,) appear as > < \ and > < in the rendered ISO kit.

Hope this helps.

That has been fixed already, since i published here only fast sketches for iso addon. But nice catch anyway.

Offline lildragonbuns

• Formerly ilovekeycaps
« Reply #934 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 19:36:22 »
I actually kind of regret not going for the novelty kit. Hopefully I can find one on mm or classified.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #935 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 19:38:51 »
I actually kind of regret not going for the novelty kit. Hopefully I can find one on mm or classified.

Best buy one early on, it's a bit risky but, much easier than a post-drop buy, people seem less likely to part with things post-drop :)

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #936 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 21:36:18 »
+10000

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #937 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 06:35:06 »
Ok here is the updated Carbon orange. To see the difference the key with new orange has MX label and key with V2 color has Q label.
To see the difference i made the pictures under different light conditions. Also keep in mind the fotos were done with my mobile phone, thus they dont have great quality but its more abut colors.
In the shaddows:

Under the sun:

No light bleed:

Overall that updated orange is deeper than V2. You can clearly see (if not colorblind) the V2 has more yellow accents there the updated orange seems to be more orangy. In this case i am very happy with new color and will send my approval for the production.

Off topic,

Minor) Does the "s" of "Esc" seems a bit sly, I've compared it to an existing Esc, it might as well be warping from the photo angling too, just something that caught my eye
       -> Suggestion: Some keycaps have slight variations like this, if it indeed exists, it might be a good idea to nudge GMK a bit, from my very limited experience, it makes a change :)

I passed the weird Escape issue to GMK. As for the samples they do not adjust their tooling like for production. So the pressure was a bit off, which caused that weird "S". Anyway they passed it to production manager so they keep an eye on it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 August 2016, 06:45:34 by T0mb3ry »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #938 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 07:04:21 »
Thanks a lot for the update T0mb3ry,

The pressure difference for samples explains the issues well (new MX's M's right and X's left seem to suffer a bit from the same issue too) - It's good to hear that it won't be repeated in production

Can't wait for the set!

I'm thinking of getting carbon plates made from big blue saw beforehand

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #939 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 07:17:22 »
Ok here is the updated Carbon orange. To see the difference the key with new orange has MX label and key with V2 color has Q label.
To see the difference i made the pictures under different light conditions. Also keep in mind the fotos were done with my mobile phone, thus they dont have great quality but its more abut colors.
In the shaddows:
Show Image

Under the sun:
Show Image

No light bleed:
Show Image

Overall that updated orange is deeper than V2. You can clearly see (if not colorblind) the V2 has more yellow accents there the updated orange seems to be more orangy. In this case i am very happy with new color and will send my approval for the production.

Off topic,

Minor) Does the "s" of "Esc" seems a bit sly, I've compared it to an existing Esc, it might as well be warping from the photo angling too, just something that caught my eye
       -> Suggestion: Some keycaps have slight variations like this, if it indeed exists, it might be a good idea to nudge GMK a bit, from my very limited experience, it makes a change :)

I passed the weird Escape issue to GMK. As for the samples they do not adjust their tooling like for production. So the pressure was a bit off, which caused that weird "S". Anyway they passed it to production manager so they keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the update! I still think the differences are extremely subtle (perhaps my monitor just isn't calibrated that well), but I'm glad you went with the deeper colour for those guys who really wanted it!  :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #940 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 07:55:29 »
Yeah, the differences don't seem as stark. I can tell there's a slight yellow tint to V2, but I have to zoom in closely.

Offline KyleZhuang

« Reply #941 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 08:30:56 »
In the shaddows:
Show Image

Under the sun:
Show Image

No light bleed:
Show Image

Off topic,

The new orange looks quite comfortable. Hope the orange spacebars will be on MD soon.
REALFORCE 104 Pro-30

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #942 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 08:37:16 »
Hmmm... As previous comments already stated, I too have a hard time seeing the difference. Might be my monitor or light conditions during the photo shoot.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #943 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 08:56:32 »
Indeed the difference is very small. However doing it more darker may make the legends on mods not that destinctive.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #944 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 09:14:12 »
Indeed the difference is very small. However doing it more darker may make the legends on mods not that destinctive.

I really agree with this one

I suspect we can't see the different because of the photo source and the lighting

Gray on Orange isn't risky, yet, since Cherry legends are small, if the orange becomes more darker, Orange on Gray might become really taxing on the eyes

Offline ndakota79

« Reply #945 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 09:48:03 »
Honestly I don't see any difference on the pics, despite different angles of light incidence. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I have full confidence in your judgement, T0mb3ry.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #946 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 13:27:18 »
Yeah i have tested it again but i gave this time it my GF. She had hard time to see any difference. I gave her two blanks. Only by looking closely she could admit the difference. Anyway she picked right and told me that the one is more orange then V2.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 August 2016, 13:34:19 by T0mb3ry »

Offline nugglets

« Reply #947 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 15:59:31 »
While definitely subtle, I see the difference and absolutely prefer the new shade. The reason I wasn't completely happy with the V2 was definitely the yellow-ish hue, and this new shade remedies that effectively.

It's most obvious, to me, when looking at the front edges of the caps in the first two photos.

Anyways, this is great news. Thanks Tomb3ry! =)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #948 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 16:01:33 »
While definitely subtle, I see the difference and absolutely prefer the new shade. The reason I wasn't completely happy with the V2 was definitely the yellow-ish hue, and this new shade remedies that effectively.

It's most obvious, to me, when looking at the front edges of the caps in the first two photos.

Was V2 used for Skidata?

Offline nugglets

« Reply #949 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 16:23:41 »

Was V2 used for Skidata?

Yep.