geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

AZERTY keycaps... Where to find

<< < (2/14) > >>

Surefoot:
As usual in this hobby: you will need patience. Do not expect to find anything in stock, unless you are quick enough to grab extras from a group buy.
As for group buys with ISO FR (and sometimes BE) extensions: look at KAT sets, as they are PBT dye sublimated there's a lot of freedom on what kind of kit you can make, so there's usually an ISO FR kit to cater to the very few Frenchies out here. I think KAT Napoleonic had a ISO BE extension, but that's not the only one.

keguira:
have a look on interest: this kit, for example, says it will "cover most European ISO layouts". So yes: patience

salgiza:
This IC thread includes an Azerty kit. I don’t know if it will include the keycaps needed for a BE keyboard, but you might ask if it is possible to add them, if not.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107942.200

You can ignore the Origami IC, though. I’m also a newbie in this, but I already hate how frequently I read something like “covers most European ISO layouts” or “international kit”... and then it’s just a NorDeUk kit. Which covers, what? 5 out of 44 possible EU layouts?

In addition to KAT sets, check for those that use a flat profile (such as DSA). You probably are already aware of this, but, just in case: this means that all keycaps are identical, regardless of the row that they are in. So you could rearrange the keys to make an AZERTY layout without problems and, most importantly, as there is no need to create a full AZERTY kit in order to support FR/BE layouts, the chance that they might include keycaps for your layout are higher (even if still low, I must admit).

Matchablossom:
I'm kinda in the same boat. But for Swiss layout. I can salvage *some* keys from the usual "international" kits but by far not enough. At least I can run a QWERTZ set so I can't fathom how frustrating it must be for you AZERTY folks. But I feel you.

"Covers most EU setups" is definitely a lie lol

I was wondering this for a while. What would you think of setting up an IC for a very simple WoB or BoW GMK keyset but specifically for some International kits such as a FR/BE/CH kit. We could add more if there's interest. The kit would reach over 60 keys but with combined forces we might be able to do it? Just for *once* to have a high quality set with the legends I actually want.
A WoB set might even work for some sets that have lighter Alphas.

IDK. Just for *once* have the right set would be nice. I do not have the slightest idea how to pull that off but maybe it's worth a try?

Finding old cherry keyboards to get them just seems... idk... running old, faded, dirty caps just to have the legends I want, on a 500$ board seems bad to me.

Not to mention the comments I get from my peers.
"So you telling me this thing costs several hundred bucks but only has US layout? Really?"

The pain is real.....

glibber:

--- Quote from: Matchablossom on Sun, 04 April 2021, 03:20:52 ---I was wondering this for a while. What would you think of setting up an IC for a very simple WoB or BoW GMK keyset but specifically for some International kits such as a FR/BE/CH kit. We could add more if there's interest. The kit would reach over 60 keys but with combined forces we might be able to do it? Just for *once* to have a high quality set with the legends I actually want.
A WoB set might even work for some sets that have lighter Alphas.

--- End quote ---

This has been tried for for a NorDe set. You can read how it went here...

I'm always looking for ISO-DE layouts, so I'm in a similar situation. Anything other than ANSI or maybe ISO-UK sometimes is just incredibly rare. There was this idea to provide a guideline/toolkit for designers to make it easier and cheaper to include ISO kits, maybe something like that is worth reviving.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version