geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] - Hardwood GH60 Case

<< < (2/14) > >>

Sai:
please consider me in for ths IC since i plan to do mine around Nov this year. :)
need some inspiration !  :p

The_Beast:

--- Quote from: jdcarpe on Sun, 17 March 2013, 22:50:11 ---I'll buy one from you. I would love to have a wooden cased keyboard. Especially one with a top cover for WKL or HHKB.

I would buy one for a Phantom, also.

--- End quote ---

Hard numbers would be nice. One case @ $200 or 2 @ $300.... Hate to sound greedy, but I don't really want to invest a bunch into stuff for it not to pan out.

--- Quote from: Bro Caps on Sun, 17 March 2013, 22:53:52 ---Hard. Wood.

--- End quote ---

Elrick:

--- Quote from: The_Beast on Sun, 17 March 2013, 20:47:01 ---Well when I was designing my metal GH60 case, I kept wood working in mind. So would there be interest in a wood GH60 case in this same design?
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39787.0

--- End quote ---

Yes, wood is nice but it's an organic material needing much love and care (oiling and moisturizing) like skin to keep it's material in a pristine state (not shrinking or expanding) in all types of weather/conditions.

A far better solution would be to use "Recycled Plastic" it's almost bomb-proof and heavy as hell.  Only problem it'll chew up cutting implement's like cheese.  But it can be machined by super hard cutting steel.

I've only ever seen this material used as outdoor furniture because it can withstand the Sun for decades.  Hence it'll last on anyone's desk for hundreds of years.  8)

The_Beast:

--- Quote from: Elrick on Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:19:30 ---
--- Quote from: The_Beast on Sun, 17 March 2013, 20:47:01 ---Well when I was designing my metal GH60 case, I kept wood working in mind. So would there be interest in a wood GH60 case in this same design?
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39787.0

--- End quote ---

Yes, wood is nice but it's an organic material needing much love and care (oiling and moisturizing) like skin to keep it's material in a pristine state (not shrinking or expanding) in all types of weather/conditions.

A far better solution would be to use "Recycled Plastic" it's almost bomb-proof and heavy as hell.  Only problem it'll chew up cutting implement's like cheese.  But it can be machined by super hard cutting steel.

I've only ever seen this material used as outdoor furniture because it can withstand the Sun for decades.  Hence it'll last on anyone's desk for hundreds of years.  8)

--- End quote ---

Inside and outside are 2 entirely different beast in terms of wood care and how it's finished. If wood is treated and finished properly, wood does just fine outdoors with maintenance every 5 or so years. And since this isn't an outdoor keyboard, I don't think I'll need to worry about that. The finish I use and the way my wood is prep should be just fine for indoor use

I'm straight up confused by the overall meaning of your post ???

Elrick:

--- Quote from: The_Beast on Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:27:21 ---Inside and outside are 2 entirely different beast in terms of wood care and how it's finished. If wood is treated and finished properly, wood does just fine outdoors with maintenance every 5 or so years. And since this isn't an outdoor keyboard, I don't think I'll need to worry about that. The finish I use and the way my wood is prep should be just fine for indoor use

I'm straight up confused by the overall meaning of your post ???

--- End quote ---

Sorry.  I live here in Perth and currently it's nearly always a hot climate altering between high humidity and dry heat during the year.  Hence anything related to wood just either dries out or deforms in shape.

Even though I have air-conditioning in every room it doesn't run 24/7 through out the year.  Hence when I'm at work for two weeks the house is locked up tight.  Hence the temps in the summer hover around 110F (your temps).  When I arrive home most of my wood furniture is deformed and anything wood related cracked (even a chess case I had for years is now ruined).

But everything made from Steel, Heavy gauge plastic is in perfect condition.  Hence only through personal experience I know what it's like to own wood objects because it all to frequently gets ruined or I just can't be bothered to oil it on a consistent basis.  I use to oil everything once a year but now it has to be done at least three times a year.

Heat is a powerful deformer hence if you are serious about a wood case then it will need to have extremely large recesses and material around the keys.  Even then it's no certainty that it will hold it's shape over long term.

I only suggested "Recycled Plastic" as it is a viable alternative to wood and can be finished into a durable key-board case.  Dare I say it, it could even weigh more than an IBM.

But this is only my suggestion so please don't get angry about it, suggestions are made to be ignored, especially when it's from me........ ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version