Author Topic: [IC] - Hardwood GH60 Case  (Read 18356 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
[IC] - Hardwood GH60 Case
« on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 20:47:01 »
Well when I was designing my metal GH60 case, I kept wood working in mind. So would there be interest in a wood GH60 case in this same design?
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39787.0

What price would you consider fair? More or less than a metal case? Also, keep in mind I don't have a CNC router, so this would be hand made.

Right now, my bare bones setup cost would be around $100-$150 (special router bit, drill bit and tap, materials to make templates) without any of my time included. Plus not to mention I could see each of these cases take 10+ hours to produce/finish
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: [IC] - Hardwood GH60 Case
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 22:11:08 »
I'm sure it would be amazing, based on your prior stuff.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 22:30:17 »
I'm sure it would be amazing, based on your prior stuff.

Yea, I hope so too, but I'd really like to gauge interest. I don't want to stick $200 into aluminum templates only to sell one or two cases.

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 22:50:11 »
I'll buy one from you. I would love to have a wooden cased keyboard. Especially one with a top cover for WKL or HHKB.

I would buy one for a Phantom, also.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 22:53:52 »
Hard. Wood.

Offline Sai

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 22:54:34 »
please consider me in for ths IC since i plan to do mine around Nov this year. :)
need some inspiration !  :p
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:02:20 »
I'll buy one from you. I would love to have a wooden cased keyboard. Especially one with a top cover for WKL or HHKB.

I would buy one for a Phantom, also.

Hard numbers would be nice. One case @ $200 or 2 @ $300.... Hate to sound greedy, but I don't really want to invest a bunch into stuff for it not to pan out.

Hard. Wood.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:19:30 »
Well when I was designing my metal GH60 case, I kept wood working in mind. So would there be interest in a wood GH60 case in this same design?

Yes, wood is nice but it's an organic material needing much love and care (oiling and moisturizing) like skin to keep it's material in a pristine state (not shrinking or expanding) in all types of weather/conditions.

A far better solution would be to use "Recycled Plastic" it's almost bomb-proof and heavy as hell.  Only problem it'll chew up cutting implement's like cheese.  But it can be machined by super hard cutting steel.

I've only ever seen this material used as outdoor furniture because it can withstand the Sun for decades.  Hence it'll last on anyone's desk for hundreds of years.  8)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:27:21 »

Yes, wood is nice but it's an organic material needing much love and care (oiling and moisturizing) like skin to keep it's material in a pristine state (not shrinking or expanding) in all types of weather/conditions.

A far better solution would be to use "Recycled Plastic" it's almost bomb-proof and heavy as hell.  Only problem it'll chew up cutting implement's like cheese.  But it can be machined by super hard cutting steel.

I've only ever seen this material used as outdoor furniture because it can withstand the Sun for decades.  Hence it'll last on anyone's desk for hundreds of years.  8)

Inside and outside are 2 entirely different beast in terms of wood care and how it's finished. If wood is treated and finished properly, wood does just fine outdoors with maintenance every 5 or so years. And since this isn't an outdoor keyboard, I don't think I'll need to worry about that. The finish I use and the way my wood is prep should be just fine for indoor use

I'm straight up confused by the overall meaning of your post ???

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:42:35 »
Inside and outside are 2 entirely different beast in terms of wood care and how it's finished. If wood is treated and finished properly, wood does just fine outdoors with maintenance every 5 or so years. And since this isn't an outdoor keyboard, I don't think I'll need to worry about that. The finish I use and the way my wood is prep should be just fine for indoor use

I'm straight up confused by the overall meaning of your post ???

Sorry.  I live here in Perth and currently it's nearly always a hot climate altering between high humidity and dry heat during the year.  Hence anything related to wood just either dries out or deforms in shape.

Even though I have air-conditioning in every room it doesn't run 24/7 through out the year.  Hence when I'm at work for two weeks the house is locked up tight.  Hence the temps in the summer hover around 110F (your temps).  When I arrive home most of my wood furniture is deformed and anything wood related cracked (even a chess case I had for years is now ruined).

But everything made from Steel, Heavy gauge plastic is in perfect condition.  Hence only through personal experience I know what it's like to own wood objects because it all to frequently gets ruined or I just can't be bothered to oil it on a consistent basis.  I use to oil everything once a year but now it has to be done at least three times a year.

Heat is a powerful deformer hence if you are serious about a wood case then it will need to have extremely large recesses and material around the keys.  Even then it's no certainty that it will hold it's shape over long term.

I only suggested "Recycled Plastic" as it is a viable alternative to wood and can be finished into a durable key-board case.  Dare I say it, it could even weigh more than an IBM.

But this is only my suggestion so please don't get angry about it, suggestions are made to be ignored, especially when it's from me........ ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:44:13 by Elrick »

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:54:30 »
I've been after a wood case since I saw long time ago when I joined GH this awesome work:

I guess you have seen this already. In case you didn't I have the whole set with the pictures with the different pieces of the wood case.

Treble318 said once he could offer a Poker wood case but in the end it didn't happened.

Meanwhile Gothic860 was doing his Filco cases but some people annoyed him and he decided not to make them and I was one of the few who was going to buy two of them. This pissed me off  :rolleyes:

If you need some inspiration take a look at this:

Wood work at Deskthority by jeff

Wood work at Deskthority by gmjhowe

As you can read I got myself some laser cut stuff and it's just amazing. It also smells really well :D I can take some pictures if you're interested but they're not from keyboard cases though.

Going to the point...I would buy at least one for sure  ;D

If you don't want to do something too complicated you could just make some cases like the Duck Poker case without top part what would help you to save work, time and money.

I can't find Gothic860's pictures because he removed all of them but his work was outstanding and with a lot of different wood style.

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:56:36 by guilleguillaume »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 00:05:55 »
I'd love this, can you offer it in lignum vitae?

I'm not sure what I'd pay for it though. I'm really interested in more minimalistic designs, like the one guilleguillaume posted.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 00:11:12 »
I'd love this, can you offer it in lignum vitae?

I'm not sure what I'd pay for it though. I'm really interested in more minimalistic designs, like the one guilleguillaume posted.

I'm going to try to stick with domestic woods like maple, oak, cherry and walnut just because these cases are going to be using quite a bit of wood/material. If I can get my groove going with this then I might start to offer exotic woods. I'd really hate to waste exotic woods by messing up.

I've been after a wood case since I saw long time ago when I joined GH this awesome work:

*snip*

I guess you have seen this already. In case you didn't I have the whole set with the pictures with the different pieces of the wood case.

Treble318 said once he could offer a Poker wood case but in the end it didn't happened.

Meanwhile Gothic860 was doing his Filco cases but some people annoyed him and he decided not to make them and I was one of the few who was going to buy two of them. This pissed me off  :rolleyes:

If you need some inspiration take a look at this:

Wood work at Deskthority by jeff

Wood work at Deskthority by gmjhowe

As you can read I got myself some laser cut stuff and it's just amazing. It also smells really well :D I can take some pictures if you're interested but they're not from keyboard cases though.

Going to the point...I would buy at least one for sure  ;D

If you don't want to do something too complicated you could just make some cases like the Duck Poker case without top part what would help you to save work, time and money.

I can't find Gothic860's pictures because he removed all of them but his work was outstanding and with a lot of different wood style.

Yea, WRXChris has a Gothic case and I have seen some pictures of it before. However I didn't really take close notes since that was way beyond my skill at the time. I think I'm at a point where this case should be possible for me to produce with a reasonable quality.

I have thought about doing a duck/tray style, but I already have this metal GH60 case designed with every dimension I could ever need. Plus, it adds parts and one more thing to screw up.

Right now, I think I'm going to print off my GH60 case 1:1 and make some temporary templates and making a single case buying a minimal of the tooling needed just to see what kind of time I would need to make one.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2013, 00:12:56 by The_Beast »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 01:20:56 »
wood dents too easily.. even well lacquered..

If you do make the wood happen,   the keyboard is then a significant hassle, as you have to always be cognizant of any tough material objects around it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 03:23:30 »
For GH60 size, I think $200-250 would be your sweet spot. I would definitely buy one at that price, but probably two.

If you ever make this in a TKL size for Filco, I would probably go $350+ for that. Maybe you could have a little glass window where the controller is, so you could see it through he top of the case. That's just me dreaming.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 10:42:22 »
So going of jd suggestion. How many people would buy a GH60 case for $200-$250 with woods like soft maple, hard maple, cherry and walnut?

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 11:54:16 »
So going of jd suggestion. How many people would buy a GH60 case for $200-$250 with woods like soft maple, hard maple, cherry and walnut?

It'd be tough to decide between one of these and an orange aluminum one, especially since I don't plan on getting more than one GH60. I'll have to think about it.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 14:20:14 »

It'd be tough to decide between one of these and an orange aluminum one, especially since I don't plan on getting more than one GH60. I'll have to think about it.

Cheers,

So no orange GH60 cases, easy peasy :P

I was going to focus on 4 or 5 colors, but if you don't mind paying a premium then I would do any color. This is mostly due to with more common colors, you have more orders for that color and can fit more on a rack. A rack with 3 cases will be 1/3 than a single case on a rack.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 14:25:36 »
Dat purp!

in memoriam

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 14:42:07 »
I'm unsure of where this should go so I'll just put it here for now. I'm not interested in hardwood GH60 cases. I will be buying an aluminum one though. Hopefully in purple if it's offered.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 15:53:44 »

Cheers,

I was going to focus on 4 or 5 colors, but if you don't mind paying a premium then I would do any color. This is mostly due to with more common colors, you have more orders for that color and can fit more on a rack. A rack with 3 cases will be 1/3 than a single case on a rack.

But..I have to have orange! I mean if you have a lacquer that will encourage an orange color to the wood, then I would be interested in that if orange anodizing doesn't happen. Maybe you should poll?

Cheers,

Offline pasph

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 17:53:06 »

With wood the price depends on the quality of finishes, the accuracy of the details.
You pay for the artisan skills not for the price of materials.
So really it depends on the final result.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 17:57:38 »
Which is why I would pay $200-250 for The_Beast's artisan skills. Not for the wood. :D

Two words: purple heartwood

in memoriam

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 18:00:54 »
Would totally do this + coffee key set for ultimate win.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 18:21:44 »
Which is why I would pay $200-250 for The_Beast's artisan skills. Not for the wood. :D

Two words: purple heartwood

Two words: No exotics.

<3 JD

Cheers,

Offline pasph

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 19:13:06 »
A real wood like mahogany (american not african)
maybe with a gloss finish  :eek:
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 20:49:57 »

Cheers,

But..I have to have orange! I mean if you have a lacquer that will encourage an orange color to the wood, then I would be interested in that if orange anodizing doesn't happen. Maybe you should poll?

Cheers,

A poll for what exactly? BTW, I can dye wood. I only have blue dye right now, I liked how it turned out. But when it got to Sifo, it was warped/twisted. I don't know if it was the dye, wetting the wood to pre-raise the grain, a problem with the shipment....

Gloss, uhmmm yea..... (I'm not a fan of glossy finishes at all)

Looking at everything I need to order, I don't think I'll have time for everything to get to me. And looking all the the tooling I would need again, setup is going to be at least $150 (2 kinds of taps, specialty drill bits, counter sinks, shallow cut pattern bits, bushings, upcut spiral bits). He might have some of this stuff, so instead of ordering, I might as well see if he has some of those tools. So during my break, I'll do some wrist rest and maybe practice tapping wood, turning feet and pattern making while I'm in the shop.

Offline pasph

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 02:45:56 »
glossy like a violin not a grand piano gloss

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 10:37:28 »

Cheers,

Cheers,

A poll for what exactly? BTW, I can dye wood. I only have blue dye right now, I liked how it turned out. But when it got to Sifo, it was warped/twisted. I don't know if it was the dye, wetting the wood to pre-raise the grain, a problem with the shipment....

Gloss, uhmmm yea..... (I'm not a fan of glossy finishes at all)

Looking at everything I need to order, I don't think I'll have time for everything to get to me. And looking all the the tooling I would need again, setup is going to be at least $150 (2 kinds of taps, specialty drill bits, counter sinks, shallow cut pattern bits, bushings, upcut spiral bits). He might have some of this stuff, so instead of ordering, I might as well see if he has some of those tools. So during my break, I'll do some wrist rest and maybe practice tapping wood, turning feet and pattern making while I'm in the shop.

You said you wanted to focus on a few colors. There are more than a few in that thread. However I'm driving you off topic. Swy! You know it's all love <3. Hey man, if you're going to do wrist rests, how about my req for that eDox one? <3

Cheers,

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 10:54:59 »
You give him money, he gives you wood.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 12:24:58 »
glossy like a violin not a grand piano gloss

Glossy still sucks

You said you wanted to focus on a few colors. There are more than a few in that thread. However I'm driving you off topic. Swy! You know it's all love <3. Hey man, if you're going to do wrist rests, how about my req for that eDox one? <3

Cheers,

I'd like to focus on a few, but I can do more if you don't mind paying more. Again, the place I'm getting quotes from does there pricing by the rack. They don't care if there is one case or 100 on a rack, the price is per rack.

I haven't had time to look at edox wrist rests. I've been swamped with school, this wood case and the metal one and 1000's other things

You give him money, he gives you wood.

Yea buddy!  :))

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 12:28:42 »
No glossy please. It looks awful.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 13:10:49 »
Definitely interested in a case for $200. Not sure I could stretch to $300, but that's just because I'm only working 50% these days (sigh).
Beastly wood case would be awesome though :D.

Offline pasph

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:13:55 »
No one likes wood with some kind of polish?  :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:52:21 »
Hand rubbed oil finish

in memoriam

Offline pasph

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:58:51 »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 19:07:39 »
Hand rubbed oil finish

Nother wood masturbation joke

You don't want an oil finish. If it's really just an oil finish, linseed oil would need reapplying every year and can require weeks to fully cure/finish. Tung oil would be every 2-3 years but finding real tung oil is hard, most of it is actually a varnish with a bit of tung oil mixed in.

Also, oil finish don't really offer any protection like a varnish, lacquer or shellac finish do

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 19:56:26 »
Beast, could you dye a case in stripes of different colors? They wouldn't be thing or a lot of stripes. Maybe two thick stripes in different colors?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 20:00:46 »
Beast, could you dye a case in stripes of different colors? They wouldn't be thing or a lot of stripes. Maybe two thick stripes in different colors?

Yes, but not with any great accuracy. Think of dyes like water coloring on a canvas with a mind of it's own.

I would suggest, one color and black. I could start light with the color, increase the intensity of the color... and then end in a black stripe.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 09:30:42 »
I think I'd be in for a walnut case in the $200-250 range. I assume these would have a top piece like your aluminum design? Thinks like the poker trays never were very exciting to me because you can't see much of the case from the top.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:05:01 »
How hard would the wood be... ;)

Is oak workable for this? How about mahogany

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: [IC] - Hardwood GH60 Case
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:26:09 »

Beast hates oak. He may make one for you, but grudgingly at that.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:31:14 »
I think I'd be in for a walnut case in the $200-250 range. I assume these would have a top piece like your aluminum design? Thinks like the poker trays never were very exciting to me because you can't see much of the case from the top.

It would be this design but in wood:

The plate would for sure be stainless, the weight plate might be stainless or plain carbon steel that's painted and the feet could be aluminum, stainless or even turned/lathed wood.

Compared to metal, not as hard, but keep in mind that you can just as easily dent an aluminum case

Oak would be an extremely viable option. I might even get quartersawn since it's REALLY dimensionally stable and it has some kick ass ray flecking (which is the cool patterns shown on the outer sides of this table):

mahogany maybe, but it's a more expensive wood

Beast hates oak. He may make one for you, but grudgingly at that.

I hate normal plain ass oak. quartersawn is a whole nother beast!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:51:29 »
You have to make the plate from wood also

in memoriam

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:52:06 »
I'd actually love a wood plate. Sounds interesting.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 March 2013, 14:35:09 by SmallFry »

Offline pasph

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:53:53 »
Wood plate? Thickness?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:58:01 »
0.060" ideally

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:58:33 »
You have to make the plate from wood also

I'd actually love a wood plate. sounds interesting.

Wood plate? Thickness?

I could, the laser guy can do wood.

However, his tolerances in wood are abysmal when compared to metal and I'm guessing the wood would have to be unlaminated and thick or thin but laminated with different grain direction (to increase strength and reduce the likely-hood of it cracking along the grain)

0.060" ideally

I'd be aiming for around .125"

which should work because:
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 March 2013, 11:00:08 by The_Beast »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 11:02:25 »

So Costar stabilizers would be out. Would Cherry plate mount work at that thickness, or only PCB mount?

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 11:05:05 »

So Costar stabilizers would be out. Would Cherry plate mount work at that thickness, or only PCB mount?

I really don't know about plate mounts on a plate that thick