Author Topic: [IC] Blank Black DSA Deep Dish PBT Keycaps  (Read 7908 times)

Offline Jagriff

[IC] Blank Black DSA Deep Dish PBT Keycaps
« on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 17:46:55 »
Here's the group buy thread:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42617.0

These keys are an alternative to the traditional homing bumps/nubs found on the F/J keys on most keyboards. Instead of a raised part, these keycaps are instead with a deeper center. If you can't quite picture what I am saying, click here. This picture was posted by Matt3o in the DSA Retro group buy thread and is purely here to illustrate the difference between DSA deep dish and normal DSA keycaps.

I am wanting to get at least 8 black blank DSA deep dish PBT keycaps to go with the DSA set that you can get with the ErgoDox on Massdrop. I'm hoping that we can quickly push through a small group buy for these (from Signature Plastics). Please let me know if you're interested (and for how many keys) so that we can see if this buy will be worth the time.

Expected price will be anywhere from $1 to $3 per keycap before shipping, so keep that in mind.

Regards,

Jagriff
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 15:49:55 by Jagriff »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: [IC] Blank Black DSA Deep Dish PBT Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 18:12:47 »
I can't be 100% positive, but I think someone already started an IC for this.

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 00:23:05 »
I can't seem to find it anywhere. Link?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 04:21:59 »
Forgive me. It was your post in the ErgoDox thread I saw. :confused: Carry on.

Offline r3dx

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 09:08:14 »
I know I'm interested in some of these but I'm not sure how many just yet.  ;D
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 13:02:34 »
I would have already ordered 200 keys and just sold the rest to people that need them if not for the fact that I started debating on if I wanted color... Black (seamless), dark grey (monochrome distinction), blue (match the mobo - acrylic version), red (match the LEDS - aluminum version)... Curse the options!

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 13:26:13 »
I would have already ordered 200 keys and just sold the rest to people that need them if not for the fact that I started debating on if I wanted color... Black (seamless), dark grey (monochrome distinction), blue (match the mobo - acrylic version), red (match the LEDS - aluminum version)... Curse the options!
Haha yeah. I'm going with black because it's the safe bet. When you start mixing colors it becomes more of a preference thing and who knows what I'm going to prefer a couple of years from now.

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 13:27:08 »
I'm interested in 8, maybe 16 if the price gets nice and low - or if my switching hits a price break so it costs the same :)

Like Zal, the idea of some colours appeals to me, especially the mobo matching blue, but it's not a deal breaker. Do SP's price breaks only relate to running a batch with a single colour? If the quantities could include a couple of colours that might encourage a few of us to get extra sets so we can mix it up.

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 13:29:01 »
I'm interested in 8, maybe 16 if the price gets nice and low - or if my switching hits a price break so it costs the same :)

Like Zal, the idea of some colours appeals to me, especially the mobo matching blue, but it's not a deal breaker. Do SP's price breaks only relate to running a batch with a single colour? If the quantities could include a couple of colours that might encourage a few of us to get extra sets so we can mix it up.
That's interesting. I will ask how adding extra colors will change the prices.

What other colors should I ask about?
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2013, 13:30:46 by Jagriff »

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 13:32:18 »
Definitely getting at least enough for home row. Maybe a couple more for major keys in my layout.

As for color I just want black, but would buy a second set in red or blue to see how it looked.

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 14:03:10 »
Personally I was looking at GAH for grey, BCT for blue, and RBR for red.

Edit: Assuming the price breaks only apply to a single color, it might make sense to get a primary large black order and then a smaller secondary batch(es) of color(s). The colors would end up costing more in this case, but that'd probably be acceptable to most people.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2013, 14:06:35 by Zalusithix »

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 14:37:59 »
Edit: Assuming the price breaks only apply to a single color, it might make sense to get a primary large black order and then a smaller secondary batch(es) of color(s). The colors would end up costing more in this case, but that'd probably be acceptable to most people.
I just got word that the price is per color, meaning that there would be one set of breaks for each color. So we can do as many batches of colors as everyone wants, but it won't make sense to go through that process unless we get enough interest for one (or two) specific non-black colors. Alternatively we can just make this purely a black group buy with hopes to get everything done as quickly and smoothly as possible, leaving other colors for future buys.

So can we get enough interest (>50 caps) for a secondary color, or shall we just do this with black?

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 14:39:32 »
I just got word that the price is per color, meaning that there would be one set of breaks for each color. So we can do as many batches of colors as everyone wants, but it won't make sense to go through that process unless we get enough interest for one (or two) specific non-black colors. Alternatively we can just make this purely a black group buy with hopes to get everything done as quickly and smoothly as possible, leaving other colors for future buys.

So can we get enough interest (>50 caps) for a secondary color, or shall we just do this with black?

I'd go for 8 black and 8 blue.

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 14:49:03 »
Well there's nothing saying the orders need to be placed at the same time, so fast tracking the blacks is probably the logical choice and then branching out to select colors. With over 200 blank sets of keys ordered between the DCS and DSA group buys at MD, there should be more than enough people interested in the keys to at least get one alternate color.

This especially true if you consider you can use the deep dish on other areas of the keyboard to denote the nonstandard regions.

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 16:27:46 »
...BCT for blue, and RBR for red...
Both of those sound good to me as additional possible options

...you can use the deep dish on other areas of the keyboard to denote the nonstandard regions.
Ooooh, good point. On my Kinesis I find that I sometimes hit the bottom row instead of the zxcvbkm,./ row and whilst I think that the curvature of that board adds to the problem, giving those keys a different feel could be a handy plan to keep me from doing so with the dox.

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 16:35:00 »
Well there's nothing saying the orders need to be placed at the same time, so fast tracking the blacks is probably the logical choice and then branching out to select colors.
I agree. Good point.

Offline ___

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 17:46:28 »
I'm in for 16 black.

(sounds like I'm playing roulette ;D)

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:03:21 »
I'm satisfied with the response so far. I will be making the official group buy thread later today for black only.

EDIT:

Here's the group buy thread:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42617.0
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 15:50:06 by Jagriff »