geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Retro Sci-Fi KeyCap Set

<< < (4/6) > >>

Elrick:

--- Quote from: Krogenar on Fri, 19 April 2013, 10:14:10 ---I picture it as solid black for easy dyesubbing, nothing too detailed.

I'm thinking in terms of Buck Rogers, Venture Brothers, Forbidden Planet, etc.

--- End quote ---

What about having any of your Sci-Fi Images on a DSA key-set?

That way we truly have a key-set from the 1950's (not that they had any such form back then, but who knows).

Try and design the whole Key-set so that it mimics something from long time ago, which had hopes of being Futuristic today  8) .

MadScientist46:

--- Quote from: eth0s on Fri, 19 April 2013, 15:22:17 ---Also I think a Mutant from This Island Earth from 1955 is a classic Sci-Fi Icon:

Show Image

--- End quote ---

A MST3K cap, huh? :p

Krogenar:

--- Quote from: MadScientist46 on Sat, 20 April 2013, 18:46:36 ---
A MST3K cap, huh? :p

--- End quote ---

(bashes Mute-Ant on his exposed brain with a lead pipe)
Mute-Ant: "Augh!!! There go the piano lessons!"
(Krog bashes Mute-Ant on his exposed brain with a lead pipe, AGAIN)
Mute-Ant: "GAAAH!!! NOW I CAN'T REMEMBER MY DAD!!!"

Krogenar:
Ok, I've been thinking about this over the weekend, and had an idea. It's probably not possible or feasible, but I figured I wouldn't find out unless I asked. Boilermaker or others will know if it could be done. How about a single, awesome keycap?

This graphic should explain the idea:

An LED Raygun keycap!

We make a number of keycaps with an oval shaped clear polycarb doubleshot. Then we either pad-print or dyesub (pad print seems more likely) a raygun patten over it. In my example I tried to pick a raygun (of the 12 pictured) that would allow us the most flexibility if the pad printing was not exactly accurate, that would still yield a relatively good keycap, even if the polycarb insert was a little off.

What do you guys think? Is this even possible? If so, has anyone ever done it?

i3oilermaker:
I think the only material suitable to dyesub is PBT so this is likely not possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version