geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Retro Sci-Fi KeyCap Set

<< < (5/6) > >>

Krogenar:

--- Quote from: i3oilermaker on Mon, 22 April 2013, 15:38:39 ---I think the only material suitable to dyesub is PBT so this is likely not possible.

--- End quote ---

What about pad printing? Ink would have to be dark enough to cover transparent section. Or redesign so that polycarb area and pad printed ray gun area don't overlap.... Just a glowing dot at the end of the gun? Probably an expensive key cap.

CommunistWitchDr:
What about getting techkeys to run it? The wario key is doubleshot then dyesubbed.

Krogenar:

--- Quote from: CommunistWitchDr on Mon, 22 April 2013, 22:52:54 ---What about getting techkeys to run it? The wario key is doubleshot then dyesubbed.

--- End quote ---

... is it really? Website doesn't say if that's so. Boiler, can you confirm?

EDIT: Rechecked techkeys.us, and it reads:

"W Key - $6.50

1x1 Double Shot & Dye Sub PBT Keys will fit any Cherry MX keyboard.  Its profile is designed to fit the W key."

So... how was it made? Double-shot white circle on yellow base, and then dyesub the 'W' onto the circle?

What if we did an ABS doubleshot with translucent polycarb (as seen on the warning cone keycap) and then pad printed or dyesubbed a raygun over it?

i3oilermaker:
Sounds somewhat plausible, but I don't know how durable the pad print would be over time, and how well it would cover the Polycarb.

Krogenar:

--- Quote from: i3oilermaker on Tue, 23 April 2013, 13:38:01 ---Sounds somewhat plausible, but I don't know how durable the pad print would be over time, and how well it would cover the Polycarb.

--- End quote ---

What if the two areas don't overlap at all?

In this case, the translucent polycarb second shot is just a simple circle at the tip of the dyesubbed gun.
The advantage that the overlapping keycap has is that if the dyesubbed image is a bit 'off' it could still look good, if the underlying polycarb was small enough, and the overlay was large enough. But yeah, you're right, the ink may not block the light sufficiently (pad printed) or it may not even be possible.

We could also just do a translucent raygun entirely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version