Author Topic: [IC] Hammer's Titanium Spacebar & Modifier Keycaps Pick the FONTS!!  (Read 22072 times)

Offline feng

• * Vendor
Update: After the quick interest check, Hammer and I have decided to make the following three keys (sets):
1: Spacebar
2. Ctrl/Alt/Menu/Windows Set
3. Left/Right Shift Set

During the upcoming group buy, you don't have to order the whole keyset, you could just order one key from a keyset. Like a blank 1x R1 key from the #2 set, and a left shift from the #3 set.

The result of the interest check shows that 27 out of 44 people chose spacebar as their favorite. The secondly popular one is Ctrl/Alt set. Enter kinda beats Left/Right Shift keys a little bit. But we decided to provide a complete Row 1 keyset and save Enter and the other keys for the next round.

For now, we just need to pick two from the five fonts before the group buy.

1. Arial Rounded (Similar to Cherry font)
2. Segoe Print
3. Ocr-A Bt
4. Comic Sans Ms (the font that I use for item description on my eBay)
5. Utsaah (Similar to Filco font)

20310-0

Please vote for your favorite two fonts by submitting the following form!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uE0q0Zq2MpfyKPO1PlKReAbRQWxBteTOfg4UbgNyAnA/viewform?sid=4ed61f89801ab1da&token=jwhpWT4BAAA.TUQBwrbZodXeun-adtznLg.ExDBDqOv1HDkpJz0M4HC1A

Update: 1x R1 was added to the Ctrl/Alt set in order to complete 1.5 modifier set. Its approx price is $30 for each blank one, and engraving service is $5 same as the others. But only one image would be availale - the following Windows Logo

It's been a while since the last group buy for Hammer's titanium spacebar. Actually it's been eight months. :/ Hammer is a busy man and he normally doesn't have time to make these hand-polished titanium keycaps. In order to keep the quality right there, he only shapes and polishes each titanium keycap by hands instead of machine.

However, after pushing him for months, he eventually promised me to make some titanium modifier keycaps, as well as the spacebar.

For this group buy, he can provide three different types of keycaps from the following:

1. Spacebar (same price as last group buy, $100 for 6.25x, $110 for 7x, and extra fees for 4 and 6 stems)

2. Ctrl/Win/Alt/Menu/1x R1 (approx $35 for each blank 1.25x, $40 for blank 1.5x, $30 for blank 1x R1)

3. Enter (approx $80 for each blank one)

4. Backspace (approx $80 for each blank one)

5. Left Shift (approx $80 for each blank one)

6. Right Shift (approx $80 for each blank one)

7. Tab (approx $40 for each blank one)

8. Capslock (approx $40 for each blank one)

Please READ:

As same as last round, three types of finish: Brushed, Shiny, and Sandblasted. Three profiles: Cherry, SP, and OEM.

There's an optional service for polishing the spacebar. You can choose have two different finishes on one spacebar by paying extra $15. For example, brushed top and shiny four sides. It was originally Ji_Jil32's idea. Check out his spacebar here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34407.msg673067#msg673067

There're two types of thickness for the spacebar: 1.0 mm and 1.5 mm. The spacebars from last group buy are all 1.0 mm and I would say they're already pretty heavy (about 15g for 6.25x 3-stems, 18g for 6.25x 6-stems). Thick plastic keycaps are awesome, but thick metal keycaps? I don't really think so.  :rolleyes: But someone keep asking me about the extra thick version, so here it is.

The approximate price is for blank keycaps only. The engraving service charges $5 for each keycap. We have two different fonts for you. We haven't decided on which two we're going to provide yet. But most likely Cherry font would be one of the choices.

You might wonder why those big modifier keys like enter, backspacebar, and shift are so expensive, it's because the processing fees for these 3-stem keys are almost the same as spacebar.

Hammer only provides regular capslock keys, NO STEPPED capslock! It's hard to polish the stepped capslock.

If you have any questions, it would be better to post them in this thread. My inbox is a mess now and there're a lot of unread messages because it's close to my finals.

« Last Edit: Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:30:03 by reaper »

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
THICK!

Gonna get me a THICK SB and sell my thin one!

:rolleyes: But someone keep asking me about the extra thick version, so here it is.

I'm anal retentive... Sorry...
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 02:16:19 by The_Ed »
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline Sai

i am interested but i'll have to see the time line.

and i just submitted SB for all 3 options. ...
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 02:20:08 by Sai »
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline Jupiter

Enter key all the way. If I can't have them all, I could settle for just the space bar and enter :P
(Going to be) building Phantom - Red MDPC / White Heatshrink Pexon Cable - WoR/RoW Klaxon - Shiny Titanium Spacebar - Titanium Zerg key

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Ctrl/Win/Alt/Menu, Enter, Backspace

Please skip the spacebar!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Oh Feng.  It looks like time to choose which key-sets to dump for these babies.

I want them all for my MKC key-board.  Please let us know what Type Fonts you'll be choosing to engrave with.  Cherry would be superb but standard WYSE is acceptable.

These babies are going to be saved for  8) .

I want them all, Modifiers, Tab, Enter, Shifts, CapsLock, Backspace and a 7 inch Spacer.  Thank Hammer for doing this.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 03:26:44 by Elrick »

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
The_Beast  can complete his metal set. good~

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
But I want to make a Titanium RGB essentially AND I need a 7x Sandblasted spacebar :(

We need a 4th option, how else will I spend around $500 on Ti keys.

In the case of 1.5x mods will there be 1x keys to go with it?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Voted.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Need all of it. Not just three! I want all titanium caps for one 84-key. Thanks!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline r3dx

Voted.
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
voted..Man a completed set would just be awesome!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys

And drain your retirement fund

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Hammer's Titanium Spacebar & Modifier Keycaps (Interest Check) Pick Three!!
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:36:40 »
Awe, no full mod set :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
As long as we're doing an interest check, why not an interest check for a full-mod or full set (84/86 or 87-key). There are a few of us who might drain our retirement funds for that. :P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!

After the FullMetalFilco, I see coming a full Ti keyboard!!! (and someone robbing a bank or two to finance it)
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:58:11 »
Is Hammer able to create 1x caps? I mean...like JD says...full Ti board may interest a few.

Offline jalaj

How about Topre compatible Ti spacebars? At least for HHKB P2 and RF 87U/104U.

Offline Trev

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:21:07 »

That's an excellent idea.

Offline jalaj

Exactly. The MX PBT spacebars are holding up pretty well against shine as well as a plethora of replacement options available. Unlike the Topre ABS spacebars, which a Ti spacebar would resolve. Feng, you're sitting on a gold mine idea here.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:36:02 »
I concur. I'd jump on a topre spacebar.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
I'd jump on a topre spacebar.

That might bend even titanium.

in memoriam

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:59:44 »
I'd jump on a topre spacebar.

That might bend even titanium.

Ouch! So cruel! Why the hate bro!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
I'd love a set with everything but the tabs and caps lock.

Also, I need a 7x spacebar, so ignore my last comment

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Dianoda

I need some 1x cherry profile winkeys for my LZ... so I'm in for at least two of those.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
Awesome!! They look really nice, I don't know if I can shell out $100 for a spacebar.. But I'd pick up some R1's and mods!

Offline feng

• * Vendor
THICK!

:rolleyes: But someone keep asking me about the extra thick version, so here it is.

I guess the thick version was particularly provided for you. :P

Anal retentive? What's that supposed to mean? :-X I only understand the first word which is ...

Oh Feng.  It looks like time to choose which key-sets to dump for these babies.

I want them all for my MKC key-board.  Please let us know what Type Fonts you'll be choosing to engrave with.  Cherry would be superb but standard WYSE is acceptable.

These babies are going to be saved for  8) .

I want them all, Modifiers, Tab, Enter, Shifts, CapsLock, Backspace and a 7 inch Spacer.  Thank Hammer for doing this.

Maybe I'll do another interest check for choosing the fonts. But yeah, at least I think we should provide Cherry font because it's quite popular.

But I want to make a Titanium RGB essentially AND I need a 7x Sandblasted spacebar :(

We need a 4th option, how else will I spend around $500 on Ti keys.

In the case of 1.5x mods will there be 1x keys to go with it?

One at a time. :) I don't want to trouble Hammer too much, and it would take even longer to making them if we have more options. I'm trying to keep the production time less than two months. We certainly can do all of the modifer keycaps, but you don't want to see a "Titanium Round 4", do you? :P Let's just get this round running first, and then we should be able to do more in the future.

Need all of it. Not just three! I want all titanium caps for one 84-key. Thanks!

I asked Hammer the same question long ago, and he scared me away with the costs of Ti keycaps.

As long as we're doing an interest check, why not an interest check for a full-mod or full set (84/86 or 87-key). There are a few of us who might drain our retirement funds for that. :P

Hammer said it would take him a month to make just one full Ti 86/87-keyset.  :-X Each keycap needs to be polished by hand.

Is Hammer able to create 1x caps? I mean...like JD says...full Ti board may interest a few.

Just added the 1x R1 keycap after talking to him. Even though it caused the group buy taking a bit longer, but I think it's necessary if the Ctrl/Alt/Menu/Windows set makes it through this interest check. The other 1x caps are not available for this round. We'll see.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
HERE COMES MY TI ARROW CLUSTER MUAHAHAHH ;D

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
I bet that sand blasting is considerably easier than polishing. Not to mention it looks the best.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Dianoda

I bet that sand blasting is considerably easier than polishing. Not to mention it looks the best.

QFT, sand blasted all the way.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO

QFT, sand blasted all the way.

Double that truth!

Topre Feng, what's the viability of that? I'll pay Hammer $100 to make me a titanium Fn cap for my HHKB!

Offline iArson

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:33:01 »
In for a 7x space at :D

Offline The_Ed

THICK!

I guess the thick version was particularly provided for you. :P

Anal retentive? What's that supposed to mean? :-X I only understand the first word which is ...

From Wikipedia:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Anal retentiveness
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with constipation.
The term retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person. The term derives from Freudian psychoanalysis.

Asperger's makes you anal retentive. We cant help it...
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
I would go as far as to drop the polished as a finish option if that means that would could get another 2 caps added (to make a full set). I really love my brushed spacebar and hardly ever use my shiney one since it's a pain in the butt to clean

Offline The_Ed

Don't you go messin' wit my SHINY bro!
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
feng i didnt read we only get a few of them at first I almost thought i was going to spend more money on keycaps that my keyboard. So yea umm I want them all :D.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Will he not do full mods? How much would that cost me to get?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:06:34 by longweight »

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
I would go as far as to drop the polished as a finish option if that means that would could get another 2 caps added (to make a full set). I really love my brushed spacebar and hardly ever use my shiney one since it's a pain in the butt to clean
This, shiny is ****.

Offline The_Ed

You are allowed to have an opinion, but why should he drop my order (and everyone else's who orders shiny) just because you 2 don't like shiny?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:11:43 by The_Ed »
R.I.P.ster

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Because not many people will order shiny. Plus I will order over $600 of mods if it is a full set.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Because not many people will order shiny. Plus I will order over $600 of mods if it is a full set.
does sandblast or brush match the scarface set you have?
Keyboardless

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Sandblasted goes very well! Brushed wouldn't.

Offline The_Ed

Oh really? Let's look at last round shall we. I count 23 shiny, 13 brushed, and 10 sandblasted. Shiny accounted for HALF.

NameLengthProfileStemsFinishingShippingPaidShipped
mkawa6.25xCherry3xShinyPriorityYesYes
The_Beast(1)6.25xCherry3xBrushedPriorityYesYes
The_Beast(2)6.25x Cherry  3xShiny
The_Ed6.25xCherry6xShinyPriorityYesYes
i3oilermaker(1)6.25xSP3xShinyFirst ClassYesYes
i3oilermaker(2)6.25x SP3xSandblasted
i3oilermaker(3)6.25x SP3xBrushed
DanGWanG7x Cherry3xSandblastedPriorityYesYes
props_go_round6.25xOEM6xShinyFirst ClassYesYes
Djuzuh6.25xCherry3xBrushedFirst ClassYesYes
dorkvader6.25xCherry6xShinyPriorityYesYes
mm876.25xCherry3xShinyPriorityYesYes
longweight6.25xCherry3xSandblastedPriorityYesYes
jcrouse6.25xCherry6xShinyFirst ClassYesYes
GMC(1)6.25xOEM3xShinyPriorityYesYes
GMC(2)6.25xOEM3xShiny
peptobiscuit6.25xOEM3xShinyFirst ClassYesYes
tsangan(1)7xCherry3xBrushedYesYes
tsangan(2)7xCherry3xShiny
tsangan(3)6.25xCherry6xBrushed
danielucf6.25xOEM3xSandblastedPriorityYesYes
oneproduct6.25xOEM3xShinyFirst ClassYesYes
paudash(1)6.25xOEM3xSandblastedPriorityYesYes
paudash(2)6.25xOEM3xSandblasted
WhiteFireDragon6.25xCherry3xSandblastedFirst ClassYesYes
leesofi(1)6.25xSP3xBrushedFirst ClassYesYes
leesofi(2)7xCherry3xSandblasted
Lord de Seis6.25xCherry3xShinyFirst ClassYesYes
suprsmo(1)6.25xCherry3xShinyFirst ClassYesYes
suprsmo(2)6.25xCherry3xBrushed
xcelerate6.25xOEM3xShinyFirst ClassYesYes
tipo336.25xCherry4xShinyFirst ClassYes
jessecoleman6.25xOEM3xBrushedFirst ClassYesYes
Elrick(1)6.25xCherry3xShinyFirst ClassYesYes
Elrick(2)6.25xOEM3xBrushed
JonDBurnett6.25xOEM3xShinyPriorityYesYes
mehkat19746.25xOEM3xShinyFirst ClassYesYes
Quadrupliplex6.25xCherry6xShinyPriorityYesYes
jil_jil327xCherry3xBrushedFirst ClassYesYes
mm877xCherry3xShinyPriorityYesYes
Harlequin7xCherry3xSandblastedFirst ClassYesYes
esoomenona6.25xOEM3xBrushedFirst ClassYesYes
zzspectrez6.25xCherry6xShinyPriorityYesYes
gijay6.25xCherry3xBrushedFirst ClassYesYes
Halverson6.25xOEM3xSandblastedFirst ClassYesYes
Gyokuro6.25xOEM6xBrushedFirst ClassYesYes
R.I.P.ster

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
I don't care if they're shiny, brushed, sandblasted, or whatever. As long as I get a full set of them for my LZ.

in memoriam

Offline The_Ed

All those keys will be done eventually, but only 3 right now. So choose.
R.I.P.ster

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Fair enough, a lot of people have bad taste then!

Offline The_Ed

We don't have bad taste, your preference is just different from the majority.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
You guys, it's just like Pokemon. You choose one of three, everyone has a fav!

Offline feng

• * Vendor

Hammer and I have talked about this months ago and unfortunately it's not gonna work. Apparently it's not impossible to make Ti spacebar w/ Topre stems, but the thing is that metal spacebar would ruin your Topre keyboards. And not just spacebar, also all the other metal keycaps like R1, R2, R3, etc. I'm sure you've noticed that whenever you push down a Topre keycap, you would hear a clicking sound. There's a little plastic thing inside the Topre switch causing that clicking sound. Plastic keycaps are elastic, but metal ones are not. If you're trying to install a metal keycap on Topre keyboard, it would damage that plastic little thing.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO

Hammer and I have talked about this months ago and unfortunately it's not gonna work. Apparently it's not impossible to make Ti spacebar w/ Topre stems, but the thing is that metal spacebar would ruin your Topre keyboards. And not just spacebar, also all the other metal keycaps like R1, R2, R3, etc. I'm sure you've noticed that whenever you push down a Topre keycap, you would hear a clicking sound. There's a little plastic thing inside the Topre switch causing that clicking sound. Plastic keycaps are elastic, but metal ones are not. If you're trying to install a metal keycap on Topre keyboard, it would damage that plastic little thing.

Damn! Suppose plastic is all I'll ever know on this HHKB!