Author Topic: [IC] White on Black DSA set  (Read 14046 times)

Offline Hellmark

[IC] White on Black DSA set
« on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 10:50:13 »
Ok, for a while now I've been jonsing for a nice simple looking set. I've been a big fan of the DSA Retro, but missed out on the group buy due to money issues.

Now, one set I've always wanted yet never understood why it hasn't been made is a white on black DSA set. Even in some of the sample images for the DSAs, they have a key like that.

Anyone else interested in such a set? I've been approved to lead a group buy on pimpmykeyboard, and trying to figure out all that needs to be done. Anyone have any preferences?

I was thinking on having the modifier keys spelled out instead of icons, unless majority says otherwise. Any preference on material? What about finish (Matte, Semimatte or gloss)?

I am thinking try to keep things simple, without having tons of kits. TKL and a kit for tenkey. Majority rules for most options. If there is a near even split, then we can see about more options. ISO depends on how many people want it.

UPDATE: May include RGB or CMY mods. Having the invert of white on black may be a possibility too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 11:02:28 by Hellmark »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: [IC] White on Black DSA set
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 10:57:19 »
material can be ABS only since the legend is lighter than the keycaps.

Apart from that I would just wait a couple of months before running another DSA set. We just had 2 (Skull Squadron and Granite).

Lastly, my suggestion would be to add as many options as you can, that's the only way to reach high-tiers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:13:10 by Matt3o »

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:07:11 »
I didn't figure it would be anything that could get started immediately anyway. You've got experience, so I am sure you can get things rolling fairly quickly when you have an idea. I'm still trying to hunt down resources for the templates and everything. I am thinking summer time would be the earliest this could get going anyway. Starting to see about testing the waters now, to see if it is even worth it to start jumping the hurdles a newb would have. Plus if I start doing interest checks early, I figure that would give more of a chance to get people interested in it and saving up.

As far as kits go, most of the ones I've seen had a good chunk of kits being different colors, where as if I do a monochrome set, that wouldn't come into play. ISO, different size spacebars, and then your basic ones for keyboard types (TKL, Numpad, Ergodox) are the only ones that spring to mind immediately. Are there some that I am missing out on?

You are the expert when it comes to this sort of thing, so I am definitely going to defer to your knowledge and wisdom.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:17:32 »
if you are going to do it all black, you may consider adding some color. Red ESC and blue Enter are the first that come to my mind. Also RGB or CMY mods are very popular.

Add options to cover custom and weird layout keyboards (pure pro, fc660, etc) because that's what DSA is good for.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 12:40:25 »
Forgot about the FC660 and Purepro having some funky sized keys.

What about sets with mods being a single color. So like red escape, enter, control, alt, shift? Would it be better to do that or just the two keys you say? Do a handful of them with different colors?

Offline pasph

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 16:26:31 »
Why not White on Black + Black on White?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Battou62

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 08:18:31 »
Interested, and I would buy several sets. I would love to see it kept simple. Maybe a red esc key and some rgb mods at most.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 08:47:57 »
I would love to see CMY (white or black legends) DSA mods. I'd shell out for RGB as well but I'd be ever so happy about CMY.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 11:03:30 »
I do like the idea of White on Black too. May look into giving complete option for that. CMY or RGB would be cool, but not sure what color for the Legend, would white or black be better you think?

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 11:28:08 »
I do like the idea of White on Black too. May look into giving complete option for that. CMY or RGB would be cool, but not sure what color for the Legend, would white or black be better you think?
ergodox guys are gonna love these sets.   :thumb:

Show Image

Lookin' great! Can't wait until these ship out :thumb:
Ditto on the light alphas, though. Are there any more sets available?

Matching the legend color of the main keys is usually what you aim for. So if you run both white on black and black on white you may run both legend colors and see what meets MOQ. If you want to have just one I say go for white since it is only possible with double shot and would look pretty hot with the coffee on cream Retro sets.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 11:36:45 »
I would make:

- black alpha (white legends)
- black mods (white legends)
- white alpha (black legends)
- white mods (white legends)

So you can have a full white, full black or mixed keyboard.

I'd go CMY add-on and some extravagant color for the ESC (eg: purple or green).

You can call it "Yin Yang Set" and also have a custom legend with the symbol (1.25u and 1u).

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 12:08:13 »
+2
please, ergodox kit too!!
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 16:00:31 »
Had ergodox kit in mind, just forgot to mention it before. Was one of the few I originally had in mind.

What all is required for doing a custom legend. I used to do graphic design for a living, so creating vector graphics and such isn't an issue, just don't know how SP needs it.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 18:44:23 »
I would make:

- black alpha (white legends)
- black mods (white legends)
- white alpha (black legends)
- white mods (white legends)

So you can have a full white, full black or mixed keyboard.

You can call it "Yin Yang Set" and also have a custom legend with the symbol (1.25u and 1u).

+1  for Black legends on White.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 16:15:28 »
Ok, here's what the concensus seems like so far

White on black alpha and mods
Black on White alpha and mods
white blank mods
black blank mods
White on CMY mods

I was also thinking calling it "Polarized". Undecided on the mod logo. There are a few yin yangs out there, so don't want to step on toes that way, plus not everyone may want that. I am kinda in that boat. If I had the money at the time, I'd have grabbed a honeywell set for a mostly monochrome DCS set with a vintage feel. I kinda want things to be generic enough to work for as many people as possible.

Offline garrettwp

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 17:49:34 »
I am new to the geekhack and found my new addiction. I just picked up parts to put together an ergodox and would be interested in this group by if it happens. I would like to see an ergodox kit as well.

- Garrett
CM Storm Rapid (MX Browns), Ducky Shine 3 (MX Blues), Ergodox (Soon to be built)

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 18:12:36 »
Ok, here's what the concensus seems like so far

White on black alpha and mods
Black on White alpha and mods
white blank mods
black blank mods
White on CMY mods

I was also thinking calling it "Polarized". Undecided on the mod logo. There are a few yin yangs out there, so don't want to step on toes that way, plus not everyone may want that. I am kinda in that boat. If I had the money at the time, I'd have grabbed a honeywell set for a mostly monochrome DCS set with a vintage feel. I kinda want things to be generic enough to work for as many people as possible.

I like the "Polarized" theme more than a yin and yang one. It makes me think of Ikaruga. As a point of Interest Honeywell as SA (tall and spherical) not DCS. You could always stick with text legends on the modifiers like "win", which I don't like, or "super", and "fn", "fun", or "menu" are all available I think as well. Everything I can think of graphically to match polarization would make poor doubleshot legends. I'll try to think harder as well.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 01:57:06 »
Two ideas I had tossed around was ⌘, and Super. If I did icons for the mods, and used ⌘, it would work for the Mac crowd, and still be something basic and different.

As far as a custom one, really not sure of what would fit.

Offline ephrog

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 09:03:19 »
I am new to the geekhack and found my new addiction. I just picked up parts to put together an ergodox and would be interested in this group by if it happens. I would like to see an ergodox kit as well.

- Garrett

This. Very interested in this set for dox reasons

Offline phillyboy

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 18:58:42 »
Same here (for an ergodox as well :)). I'd be happy just getting the standard key set though if that was the only option.

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 19:26:31 »
I'd be interested in a set.  I was too slow to get in on the DSA Dolch Set :(

A few ideas for add-ons:

White on Red Escape
White on Red WASD and Arrows
White on RGBYO Mods
White on Blue Enter Key
Space Bars
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline hsu

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:14:27 »
The one in the sample looks great - I like that font.

Is DSA inherently expensive? There's a groupbuy for DCS set for 15 bucks these days.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 10:02:44 »
The one in the sample looks great - I like that font.

Is DSA inherently expensive? There's a groupbuy for DCS set for 15 bucks these days.

Where do you see that? It's possible you're thinking of the Tai Hao buy, which is OEM profile and made in China. Completely separate from DSA and DCS profile keycaps made by Signature Plastics.
Where group buys are concerned, it's all about pricing tiers. DSA has its proponents but it is less popular than the sculpted profiles like Cherry, DCS, or OEM profile.

A set of DSA caps will be more than $15 unless we get absurdly good tiers.

Offline Full_Battle_Rattle

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 04:25:20 »

Absolutely put me down for CMY mods! Centered uppercase legends or icons in white would be my choice.

Offline The Nude Wizard

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 21:43:13 »
Hi, first post and all but long time lurker and having ordered the Granite set which I noticed seemed to have spawned from this black on beige IC thread re an Amiga keyboard, might I make the suggestion you base it off the BBC micro?

I think the slightly oddball symbols/fonts used in some places, the function keys etc would make a pretty unique set.

Or instead perhaps just having the f-keys and a BBC micro Owl logo super key as options/addons to the set wouldn't be a bad idea, I'd certainly buy it ;)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 02:10:29 »
Hi, first post and all but long time lurker and having ordered the Granite set which I noticed seemed to have spawned from this black on beige IC thread re an Amiga keyboard, might I make the suggestion you base it off the BBC micro?

Show Image

I think the slightly oddball symbols/fonts used in some places, the function keys etc would make a pretty unique set.

Or instead perhaps just having the f-keys and a BBC micro Owl logo super key as options/addons to the set wouldn't be a bad idea, I'd certainly buy it ;)

Yeah would like to see an all f-key display like with your Amiga pic.  Certainly would make it unique since most F-keys now are so sedate and boring looking.

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 07:52:46 »
Another lurker - interested!
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 08:04:59 »
I'd be interested if a second 2.25u shift, and a 1.75u control key are included.

Offline Zeroblade

• Twitter
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 10:07:47 »
This would be awesome! I prefer my keys to be nice and simple, so white on black alphas... perhaps cyan on black mods?
And of course, white on red escape, CMY mods, and so on, would be great as add-ons.

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 06:21:57 »
Polarised sounds great.

I'm pretty new to this whole GB keycaps affair, and thus am far from an expert.
However after a couple of weeks reading previous GB threads and searching without success for available to buy / an easy way to get DSA profile key sets in colours that I'd use at work, I'd like to upgrade my 'interested' to 'I'm in'.

Specifically:

Would buy DSA
  • White on Black Alpha
  • White on Black Mods
  • Black on White Alpha
  • Black on White Mods
  • White on CMY mods

Would also really, really like to buy, to ensure that both common TKLs and common 60% keyboards are covered DSA
  • White on Black Additional Mods that would extend the base Alpha/Mods sets to fit common TKL and 60% boards
  • Black on White Additional Mods that would extend the base Alpha/Mods sets to fit common TKL and 60% boards

Perhaps interested in DSA
  • White blank Mods
  • Black blank Mods
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline myrddin

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 08:03:30 »
Would buy white legends on black keys in dsa.

Ideally have a dvorak/colemak etc homerow kit with replacement f / j non-bumps - they only needed 8 or so people to buy in the recent galaxy kit, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 08:37:24 »
Any update on this?

Just in case the OP is still considering to run the GB, it would be a good idea to have the keys for the caps lock - control switch. Many GHers use that. It takes 1 control 1.75u, and 1 caps lock 1.25 u.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 15:38:01 »
Not too much movement on it yet. Was letting some things die down before I started on it. There was a bit of a glut on DSAs for a bit, plus things have been crazy here.

What does everyone think about white on black and black on white, grouped into alpha, mods, numbers and F keys? That way, people can mix and match the different colors as the want.

Ideus, do you mean to have the caps key printed with control instead? I'm not quite sure I understand.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 17:23:28 »
Not too much movement on it yet. Was letting some things die down before I started on it. There was a bit of a glut on DSAs for a bit, plus things have been crazy here.

What does everyone think about white on black and black on white, grouped into alpha, mods, numbers and F keys? That way, people can mix and match the different colors as the want.

Ideus, do you mean to have the caps key printed with control instead? I'm not quite sure I understand.

Yes. Some like to switch the left control and caps lock. In that way control is in place of the caps lock, like the HHKB. For that there is a need for a 1.75u key with legend control, and a 1.25u key with caps lock legend. Check the layouts of the additional modifiers in the Granite and Macross sets.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 17:38:05 »

I'm definitely interested in the black on white. 

Are they going to be a overly bright true white, or will they be a little off-white?
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:36:30 »
That's something I'm not entirely sure of. I guess kinda put it up to the people. What I originally pictured was how white most plastics were in the '80s, but last few white keycaps I've seen have been a super bright white (the blue on white massdropped caps seemed this way). Would you guys prefer the bright white or toned down a bit?

I still want it to be fairly white. Kinda reminds me of the line from the musican Oklahoma, where the guy says that he two snow white horses, then backtracks to say the one is really more like milk. Both are white, but one is a brighter white.

At this point, I think we should look at the swatches. On the white side, I am leaning towards WA and WFK. A bit more towards WA, though.

Black, well, TAA I think is the best choice.

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:45:10 by Hellmark »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:23:42 »
That's something I'm not entirely sure of. I guess kinda put it up to the people. What I originally pictured was how white most plastics were in the '80s, but last few white keycaps I've seen have been a super bright white (the blue on white massdropped caps seemed this way). Would you guys prefer the bright white or toned down a bit?

I still want it to be fairly white. Kinda reminds me of the line from the musican Oklahoma, where the guy says that he two snow white horses, then backtracks to say the one is really more like milk. Both are white, but one is a brighter white.

At this point, I think we should look at the swatches. On the white side, I am leaning towards WA and WFK. A bit more towards WA, though.

Black, well, TAA I think is the best choice.

Show Image
Show Image

I suggest WA for the white. It is pretty white, with few blue or yellow tones, so it is not nor warm, nor cold. It matches great with black, and it does not look overly white. It is a very well balanced color tone.

Offline pasph

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 16:05:16 »
Yes,  great contrast
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 17:25:40 »
I would go with something like WFM/WFO  or  WQ/WV.

However I'm sure others will disagree.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 17:48:23 »

Isn't that a beige combo?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 20:32:22 »

I was saying any of the color codes that I listed.  Not a combo of any two of them.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 23:06:08 »

I was saying any of the color codes that I listed.  Not a combo of any two of them.

You meant either WFM, WFO, WQ, or WV for the white. The backslash groups appear to mean pairs.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 23:33:11 »

You meant either WFM, WFO, WQ, or WV for the white.

Yep.  Sorry for the confusion.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline animaliaparadoxa

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 12:29:45 »
What's the status of this idea? Not enough interest at the moment?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:11:37 »

Yes, would like off-white colours because it reminds me of the old cherry caps from ancient G80 keyboards  :thumb: .

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:24:06 »

Yes, would like off-white colours because it reminds me of the old cherry caps from ancient G80 keyboards  :thumb: .

See Elrick knows what's up  :thumb:
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Data

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 10:32:13 »
Prefer bright white on black personally.  Eager to see some mock-ups.

Offline l_b

• vanutsteen.nl => nerds only
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 14:14:14 »
I would have interest in a white on black version too!

Offline Manchias

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 08:41:52 »
I would love to have this basic set. DSA for the win.

Offline animaliaparadoxa

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 10:03:35 »
I vote off-white. Sorry (not sorry.)