Author Topic: Open Source 60% Alps Plates  (Read 94033 times)

Offline emdude

Open Source 60% Alps Plates
« on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 18:59:04 »
The goal of this project is to aggregate working, open source (under CC0-1.0) 60% plate designs for various Alps layouts, including AEK I/II, Dell AT101, AT101W, etc, so that they may be used for one-offs or group buys.

The initial keyboard plates that I will be working on will be created with Swill's great plate builder, then modified to fully support various layouts.

+ To download a design directly, just right-click the 'Direct' or 'SVG' link and save-as "<plate>.dxf" or "<plate>.svg", respectively

+ Layouts are tested and without issue unless otherwise stated

Completed Layouts:
  • AEK, by hasu:
    - Direct, Github, Image

• Dell AT101 (7u Space Bar, Stepped Caps Lock):
    - Alps-style stabilizers: Direct, SVG, Github, Image
    - Alps-style stabilizers, Costar-stabilized space bar (Untested): Direct, SVG, Github, Image

• Dell AT101W (6.25u Space Bar, Stepped Caps Lock):
    - Alps-style stabilizers (Untested): Direct, SVG, Github, Image
    - Alps-style stabilizers, Costar-stabilized space bar (Untested): Direct, SVGGithub, Image

• Tai-Hao (6.25u Space Bar, Unstepped Caps Lock):
    - Alps-style stabilizers, Costar-stabilized space bar (Tested, with potential issues with right shift stab?): Direct, SVG, Github, Image

• IBM 5140 (7u Space Bar, Unstepped Caps Lock, Big-Ass Enter, Winkeyless):
    - Alps-style stabilizers: Direct, SVG, Github, Image
    - NOTE: This is a unique BAE layout!  This is likely incompatible with BAE keys from Northgate, Focus, etc. keyboards!

• Infinity (6u Space Bar, Unstepped Caps Lock):
    - Alps-style stabilizers, Costar-stabilized space bar (Untested): Direct, SVG, Github, Image

• HHKB (6u Space Bar, Unstepped Caps Lock):
Layouts in Progress:
  • Nothing ATM
Tentative Future Layouts:
  • AT102W

+ If you have a plate made and discover an issue, please report it here so I can make the necessary corrections!
+ Note that plates should be 1.0-1.2mm in thickness per Alps specs in order for switches to properly clip in!

Please let me know if you have suggestions, advice, criticism, etc. as I am a bit inexperienced with CAD and just projects like these in general.

Many thanks to Swill, Phoible, Wingpad, BlueNalgene, Alh84001, FletchINKy, hasu, and the others who have helped contribute to this!
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2016, 21:15:22 by emdude »
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
Re: Open Source 60% Alps Plates
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 21:52:43 »
This is excellent, I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of our labour! Just to rehash the status of the AEKII plate I've been working on, here is a quote of the latest project update.

I sent my AEKII drawing off to get fabbed today. I am considering this to be a test run since I am not 100% confident in it; however, it has passed my preliminary tests and seems to be laid out correctly, we will find out for sure soon! Once I get all of the details sorted out, I will be open-sourcing it for personal use and (hopefully) use in future GBs. I would post it now but I don't want to get responses like "It doesn't woooooork," haha.

Here is a render of what it will (should?) look like:
Show Image

So expect another update about that stuff soon!

Offline emdude

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 22:11:54 »
Update: Added Wingpad's work on an AEK I/II plate to OP, thanks again! :D

Offline axtran

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 07:21:40 »
Would be cool if you could do variants which supported Cherry/Costar plate stabilizers, too. That way more people could support them through SP group buys--their DCS keys use the Cherry stab mounts.

Sent from my iPhone
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 07:51:26 »
Would be cool if you could do variants which supported Cherry/Costar plate stabilizers, too. That way more people could support them through SP group buys--their DCS keys use the Cherry stab mounts.

That would not be very hard, actually; it's much easier to do Costar stabilizers than Alps because swill's tool properly generates them.

EDIT: I have attached an untested drawing of an AEKII based layout with cherry/costar-stabilizers. If someone wants to run this and see what happens, go for it.
140287-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 June 2016, 14:21:47 by Wingpad »

Offline tmrmn

• lazy developer
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 14:10:00 »
I ordered some stuff to build my first ALPS board, an 60% AEKII. Wanted to use costar stabs anyway so the timing of your drawing is perfekt. It will be some weeks until all the parts arrive but I'm going to test out your AEKII Costar plate and report back.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 14:19:33 »
I ordered some stuff to build my first ALPS board, an 60% AEKII. Wanted to use costar stabs anyway so the timing of your drawing is perfekt. It will be some weeks until all the parts arrive but I'm going to test out your AEKII Costar plate and report back.

Ah, excellent, thanks! I make no guarantees about it but it should work. If you downloaded the first version of it you should re-download it since I fixed a minor cosmetic issue. I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Offline tmrmn

• lazy developer
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 14:30:50 »

Ah, excellent, thanks! I make no guarantees about it but it should work. If you downloaded the first version of it you should re-download it since I fixed a minor cosmetic issue. I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

No worries, I'll try with MDF first to make sure everything fits before cutting acrylic (yes, will be an acrylic plate ;) )

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 14:48:38 »
I'll try with MDF first to make sure everything fits before cutting acrylic (yes, will be an acrylic plate ;) )

Hmmm, I am not sure how well this would work acrylic; since the material you would use to these make plates is so thin (1-1.5mm), I'd worry about some of the finer details cracking. In addition, it can warp if you're laser cutting it. If you want to use acrylic perhaps I should generate and tweak a version with co-star only stabilizers as well (this version has both costar and cherry compatibility).

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 15:08:20 »
I'd add a disclaimer in the OP to mention that all Alps plates should be 1.2mm thickness rather than the MX standard of 1.5mm.

Offline emdude

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 15:30:41 »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  Plates with Alps-style stabilizers are my main priority since Swill's plate builder cannot do those, I can add Cherry/Costar stabilized plates but the builder should be able generate those just fine.

@jbondeson, thank you, I'll add that Alps plates should be 1.0-1.2mm in thickness for switches to properly clip in.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 16:02:33 »
Plates with Alps-style stabilizers are my main priority since Swill's plate builder cannot do those, I can add Cherry/Costar stabilized plates but the builder should be able generate those just fine.

I agree with this; however Swill's plate builder does screw up hole placement for alps/pok3r plates (mostly the center hole which it places between two switches and the one beneath the spacebar when using cherry-style stabilizers). It's a simple fix but, for convenience purposes, listing them here mightn't be a bad idea.

Offline emdude

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 16:47:05 »
Oh right, that the case mounting holes would still be screwed up had slipped my mind, I'll work on those plates when I get around to it then.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 20:51:09 »
The next time I have an issue with my alps64 infinity that requires me to desolder it I will scan the plate and send you it.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 20:53:06 »
oh and I can also do the focus plate, I have a disassembled one sitting on my shelf.

Offline emdude

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 21:28:18 »
Okay, great!  I think I am getting close to an AT101 plate that I can test, but I would very much appreciate additional measurements to confirm my own.

Offline muon

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 21:34:44 »
Does swill's site not work for designing Alps plates? I believe he's got an Alps mount option on there now.

Offline emdude

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 21:54:00 »
Not completely, it does not support Alps-style stabilizers for the space bar and case mounting holes overlap with other stabilizers.  I did use plates generated using it as a starting point though.

Offline muon

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 23:38:23 »
Not completely, it does not support Alps-style stabilizers for the space bar and case mounting holes overlap with other stabilizers.  I did use plates generated using it as a starting point though.

Good to know, thanks for the clarification!  :thumb:

Offline emdude

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 00:59:48 »
No problem!  I just remembered something though, so I should clarify some more.  6.5u space bars are somewhat supported, but Swill's plate builder does not generate the cutouts for the circular peg stabilizers found on boards like the AT101W.  7u space bars are not supported (I have not tested other space bar lengths).

Also an update, I believe I am nearly done with the AT101 plate, and since I have key caps for it, I hope to get a prototype made soon.

Offline emdude

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 01:13:46 »
I am finished with the AT101 plate and am having a prototype made.  Spent a bit of time testing it against my SGI key set, with any luck it will work just fine.

Note the two bottom space bar stabilizers, they are closer together than they would be on an AT101 plate to accommodate a stabilizer wire like the one below.  The SGI stabilizer is like this one, but I don't think it will matter if a traditional, longer stab is used.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:13:24 »
Alright, I finally got my prototype Alps plate in today. Here is an album describing the results (with pictures, of course). All in all, it works but there are a few things I want to tweak. I'll have it updated by the end of the week at the latest :thumb:

Offline emdude

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:23:15 »
Thanks for the update!  I think I use the same space bar stab measurements so I will readjust my plates once your AEK design is updated. :D

I guess I will also wait to mark your design as tested until you make those quick corrections.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:41:16 by emdude »

Offline emdude

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:40:27 »
Whoops, double-post.

Offline lootbag

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 21:15:12 »
I have a HHKB CAD/DXF file that I used to get a plate made over Taobao.
Made myself based on Duck's Viper/Eagle ALPS plate file and SwillKB.
Plate should arrive next Monday and I will know how everything fits.
Let me know if you guys would like me to share.

Offline need

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 21:18:59 »
Hi loot bag, did the AEK one that you made a while ago worked out perfectly?

Offline emdude

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 21:27:40 »

Oh sure, we'd really appreciate your contribution!  Let us know how it goes! ;D

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher, Kentucky USA
    • Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 09:51:38 »
I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to do, but I think I can help somehow!

Are you designing alps plates that will work in standard 60% cases? Or is this just about reusing the caps/stabs that come with the boards originally?

I've got a few extra AT101Ws, one currently down to the plate, let me know what measurements and the best formatting for those measurements is (indexing off what?) Feel free to PM me if it's too technical.

Offline emdude

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 11:15:03 »
Both!  Though the AT101 and AT101W use the common 7/6.25u space bar layouts respectively so other key caps can be used as well!

The AT101W plate is at the point where it is more or less finished though (but not tested as of yet), but I could really use confirmation of particular measurements, specifically for the space bar stabs.  I'll PM you about that when I get home.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 20:45:20 »
I posted a pull request with the corner radii and return stabilizer fixed; however, I might need some help with the spacebar stabilizer pin mount (if we want it to be perfect). Unfortunately, I can't measure my plate more precisely until I find my calipers. That being said, this design does work so I feel like my work has finally paid off...

I'm just going to leave these here:

Offline lootbag

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 02:41:48 »

Never worked on a AEK plate, only interested in HHKB really.

Prototype arrived, everything fits great so far.
I need to buy a AT101W for keycaps and the 7U spacebar/stabilizer wire.

Need some confirmation here.
I forgot to make the cutout for center stem Caps Lock, instead it is shifted and will use the bottom two solder points.
The AT101w caps lock key should work for this position right?

Offline emdude

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 08:35:30 »
I posted a pull request with the corner radii and return stabilizer fixed; however, I might need some help with the spacebar stabilizer pin mount (if we want it to be perfect). Unfortunately, I can't measure my plate more precisely until I find my calipers. That being said, this design does work so I feel like my work has finally paid off...

I'm just going to leave these here:
Show Image

Show Image

Nice!  I will go ahead and merge your change.  Thanks! :thumb:

Never worked on a AEK plate, only interested in HHKB really.

Prototype arrived, everything fits great so far.
I need to buy a AT101W for keycaps and the 7U spacebar/stabilizer wire.

Show Image

Need some confirmation here.
I forgot to make the cutout for center stem Caps Lock, instead it is shifted and will use the bottom two solder points.
The AT101w caps lock key should work for this position right?

Show Image

Wow, neat design! :)  And yes, stepped Caps Lock keys like the ones on the AT101 and AT101W will work with that.

Quick update too: My prototype AT101 plate should be coming in today or Tuesday.  I've also asked fletchINKy for help on some measurements, including some for the space bar pin stabs.

Offline emdude

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 00:45:29 »
Okay, so I did end up receiving my plate today.  Everything turned out very well, except for of course the space bar circular stabs, which do not hold the stabs at all.  This isn't a big issue since it will stay in when the space bar is in place, but it's still an annoying one.

I will mark the AT101 as finished and tested with the caveat that the stabs will need to be fixed.

EDIT: From an initial, imprecise measurement, it seems that the clip cutouts are closer to being 2.0mm squares than 2.5mm, I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm this or get more precise measurements.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 July 2016, 00:59:01 by emdude »

Offline cy384

• cy384
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 10:17:59 »
I have an (M3501, ANSI) AEK plate, its stabilizers, and some calipers handy, are there specific measurements you need?

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 10:48:22 »
I have an (M3501, ANSI) AEK plate, its stabilizers, and some calipers handy, are there specific measurements you need?

We're mostly concerned with the spacebar stabilizer pin holder, if you could help us verify the measurements shown in blue here that would be great.

Now, not all of these are easy to take with a caliper (center-to-center measurements being rather difficult) so edge-to-edge measurements would be fine as long as we can derive the same quantities from them. Thanks!!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 13:50:44 »
Hi guys, thank you for sharing. great job.

We're mostly concerned with the spacebar stabilizer pin holder, if you could help us verify the measurements shown in blue here that would be great.

Show Image

Now, not all of these are easy to take with a caliper (center-to-center measurements being rather difficult) so edge-to-edge measurements would be fine as long as we can derive the same quantities from them. Thanks!!

This is the dimesion  from my flimsy caliper job.

I also have worked a AEK plate design in KiCAD these days and thinking of making it with 1.2mm PCB.
https://github.com/tmk/alps64/tree/plate.

Offline cy384

• cy384
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 14:02:12 »
Show Image

You beat me to it.  Just finished; my measurements agree with yours.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 15:02:02 »
You beat me to it.  Just finished; my measurements agree with yours.
Show Image

Thank you both for these measurements, they are very appreciated! I'll update my AEK plate design when I get a chance.

I also have worked a AEK plate design in KiCAD these days and thinking of making it with 1.2mm PCB.
https://github.com/tmk/alps64/tree/plate.
I didn't realize you had a plate design, hasu; we'll have to update the OP to include yours as well (if you don't mind, that is). Are you thinking of adding support for other layouts too?

Offline emdude

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 15:40:50 »
Thanks for the help, cy384 and hasu.  I can definitely update the OP to include hasu's plate design, but to avoid confusion, we should probably only have the most accurate version of a particular layout in the OP.  Has it been tested to work perfectly?

As for the measurements for the clip cutouts adjacent to the circular stab, 2.4mm is an interesting figure.  FletchINKy has been very helpful in providing me with some additional measurements for these cutouts too.  They seem to differ a bit from what you guys have though.

An average of his measurements gives me approximately 2.2mm.  Let me know what you guys think of this.

Just from personal experience though I have found that the space bar peg stab fits more loosely on my AEK plate than it does on my other Alps plates.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2016, 15:46:41 by emdude »

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 15:55:41 »
Thanks for the help, cy384 and hasu.  I can definitely update the OP to include hasu's plate design, but to avoid confusion, we should probably only have the most accurate version of a particular layout in the OP.  Has it been tested to work perfectly?

Given that my drawing is already in the DXF format that many laser cutting services use it might just be more convenient to leave mine, for now. hasu has way more experience with this kind of stuff, though, so if his plate design works perfectly then we should consider losing mine in favor of using his.

As for the measurements for the clip cutouts adjacent to the circular stab, 2.4mm is an interesting figure.  FletchINKy has been very helpful in providing me with some additional measurements for these cutouts too.  They seem to differ a bit from what you guys have though.

An average of his measurements gives me approximately 2.2mm.  Let me know what you guys think of this.

Just from personal experience though I have found that the space bar peg stab fits more loosely on my AEK plate than it does on my other Alps plates.

I think that I will go with the 2.2mm measurement when I rework mine, then. They fit pretty loosely in my stock AEK plate and considering that at 2.5mm the mount was very loose, I think opting for the smaller size is safer.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 17:16:03 »
I just noticed this thread.  Keep up the good work guys.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 18:42:41 »

The 2.4mm is from my AEK2(and AEK1), are you sure he got teh measurement from AEK plate?  From FletchINKy's post, I guess his plate is AT101W.

And I need some help.

1. Screw hole
Swill's tool and our DXFs uses 5.0mm by default for screw holes, is it commonly used in the community? Original Poker X screws(with washer) have 5.4mm dia, the holes are too small for them at least.
I'm thinking of going with 6.3mm, the bigger holes are the easier one handles screws.

2. Switch cutout size
Swill's tool and our DXFs uses 15.6mm x 12.8mm and AEK2 plate uses 15.6mm x 12.9mm size from my measurement. Meanwhile, datasheet says it is 15.5mm x 12.8mm and I'm using this size on my design but it is too snug with switches?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2016, 18:44:32 by hasu »

Offline emdude

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 02:16:21 »
Yes, his measurements are from an AT101W, sorry for not clarifying that.

2. I can say that switches fit without issue in 15.6mm x 12.8mm cutouts, and are not too snug; I don't believe 15.5mm x 12.8mm cutouts will cause issues.

I have went ahead and updated the AT101 and AT101W plates to use 2.2mm clip cutouts for the circular stabilizers, I've also adjusted the two bottom space bar stabs on the AT101W based on fletchINKy's measurements.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 00:04:12 »
Thanks emdude,
I'll go with 15.5mmx12.8mm as the datasheet says. And finished my design.

I'll make a plate and report it here some later.

Offline emdude

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 20:14:06 »
Update: Threw together AT101 and AT101W plates with Costar-style space bar stabilizers based on the measurements of Costar-stabilized versions of the plates generated by Swill's tool.  Let me know if there are any issues with these.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 00:19:43 »
Thanks emdude,
I'll go with 15.5mmx12.8mm as the datasheet says. And finished my design.

Show Image

I'll make a plate and report it here some later.

Got AEK PCB plate and checked it with my Alps64 PCB, original AEK plate and Poker X case. Space bar and stabilized keys work and I didn't find any problem so far.
I didn't solder switches and fully assembled them though, I'd say my AEK plate is ready.

You can get KiCAD design files and DXF exported by KiCAD here.
https://github.com/tmk/alps64/tree/Plate_AEK_RevA

Offline emdude

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 11:19:28 »
Oh good!  I don't think Wingpad will mind if I use your plate design for the OP.  Thanks hasu! :D

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 11:23:36 »
Got AEK PCB plate and checked it with my Alps64 PCB, original AEK plate and Poker X case. Space bar and stabilized keys work and I didn't find any problem so far.
I didn't solder switches and fully assembled them though, I'd say my AEK plate is ready.
Oh good!  I don't think Wingpad will mind if I use your plate design for the OP.  Thanks hasu! :D
Awesome, that's good to hear. Thanks, hasu!

I don't mind at all :thumb:

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher, Kentucky USA
    • Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 06:07:57 »
Sorry guys, I've been pretty busy lately, and just caught up on this thread.

It seems things got squared away? My dissimilar measurements were accurate, but being accidentally compared to an AEK?

I plan on using this 60% layout to cut some harvested plates down to fit standard 60 cases.

Offline emdude

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 11:06:05 »
Yeah, we ultimately used your measurements for the space bar stab clip cutouts.  Everything should be good to go, pending prototypes for the AT101W layout, which I may be able to do in a few months. 

The .DXFs or the image files should work just fine as templates for cutting up larger plates, good luck!