Author Topic: [IC] GMK Lunar 🚀 — inspired by NASA's AGC and DSKY [GB MAR 6 - APR 7][PRICING👇🏼]  (Read 76531 times)

Offline BrainBunker

My order of favorites from best to worst:

Original Flight Plan > Flight plan> Astronaut > Novelties.

Offline VoodooBear

I love how this set is looking! My friend and I want to get in, but the ZXC BNM sublegends are a deal breaker for the alpha sets :/ Would it be possible for those to be optional?

Sorry, too late.

Darn, that's very unfortunate... They feel more a part of the novelties set than of the alphas.
It's such a shame about the base kits, but I think I'll at least go for the novelties.
In any case, good luck!

I'm on the same boat. They just look off. Being stock colors maybe some day there'll be a set with the same alphas that you take and put on this kit but that's a big "maybe". Will probably just go with Apollo and the novelties/deskmat from this set. I honestly like this set a lot more, but oh well.

Offline VoodooBear

Guys, I have four deskmat designs and vendors are asking me to cut them down to three! Please let me know which one I should drop...

Novelty Pattern

(Attachment Link)

Astronaut Looking Back at Earth from Moon (still a rough draft)

(Attachment Link)

Authentic Technical Flight Plan

(Attachment Link)

Flight Plan

(Attachment Link)

I'd drop "Astronaut looking back" since it's so similar to the Apollo deskmat. However, It'll probably be a popular design so maybe drop the icons one. "Technical flight plan" I think goes the best with the spirit of the set. If you were looking at additional ideas I think that's the way to go. More technical diagrams, schematics, etc.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
I love how this set is looking! My friend and I want to get in, but the ZXC BNM sublegends are a deal breaker for the alpha sets :/ Would it be possible for those to be optional?

Sorry, too late.

Darn, that's very unfortunate... They feel more a part of the novelties set than of the alphas.
It's such a shame about the base kits, but I think I'll at least go for the novelties.
In any case, good luck!

I'm on the same boat. They just look off. Being stock colors maybe some day there'll be a set with the same alphas that you take and put on this kit but that's a big "maybe". Will probably just go with Apollo and the novelties/deskmat from this set. I honestly like this set a lot more, but oh well.

Why are the sub legends bothering you so much? They’re a part of the design of the set and a tribute to the astronauts of Apollo 11, making the theme whole.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
Same with memorabilia sublegends. A kind of deal breaker making a kit not so universal. But I'm late to the IC, so my opinion doesn't really count, if these legends are fixed. I'd put it to the novelties set or put regular keycaps with no sublegends to novelties set, whatever to provide a choice to celebrate or not celebrate the specific date. Currently it's mandatory to show off "appreciation" of theme, however this may drive off those attracted by colorway and not by the theme of the set.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Same with memorabilia sublegends. A kind of deal breaker making a kit not so universal. But I'm late to the IC, so my opinion doesn't really count, if these legends are fixed. I'd put it to the novelties set or put regular keycaps with no sublegends to novelties set, whatever to provide a choice to celebrate or not celebrate the specific date. Currently it's mandatory to show off "appreciation" of theme, however this may drive off those attracted by colorway and not by the theme of the set.

Thanks for the explanation. I’d have thought that would not be an issue what with all the custom mods legends from the DSKY interface for the AGC.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
Custom mods just have the same single line word(s) as regular ones, and frankly no one cares what's written there, so they don't pop up. Sublegends, however, when applied to alphas unevenly (not every keycap having sublegend) will be very visible and will attract eye immediately. The thing is uneven spread on a keyboard, not the sublegends themselves: check GMK ASCII, where each alpha key has some custom sublegend.
I would be interested in this set (Command, Lunar and novelties kits) if not for sublegends in each of Alphas set. Maybe drop sublegends from Lunar module?
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 February 2020, 04:28:02 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Custom mods just have the same single line word(s) as regular ones, and frankly no one cares what's written there, so they don't pop up. Sublegends, however, when applied to alphas unevenly (not every keycap having sublegend) will be very visible and will attract eye immediately. The thing is uneven spread on a keyboard, not the sublegends themselves: check GMK ASCII, where each alpha key has some custom sublegend.
I would be interested in this set (Command, Lunar and novelties kits) if not for sublegends in each of Alphas set. Maybe drop sublegends from Lunar module?

Like I mentioned earlier, GMK has already priced this set and the GB starts in a week — there is too little time to make kit changes now. I could have polled this topic a month or two ago but it's too late now. Then there's the price issue — another 12 keys would have brought the prices up even more. Sorry. 😕

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Finally got proper renders for the pattern and astronaut mats.

236604-0

236608-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 February 2020, 06:29:32 by Moridin »

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Guys, thanks for all the feedback and help.

I made a poll to check how many desk mat sales we can accept, which should help deciding which designs will go through to group buy stage.

Please only answer if you are 100% getting one (or more!).

Thanks again for your patience with me. 🙃

GMK Lunar Desk Mat Poll

Offline Zeelobby

Finally got proper renders for the pattern and astronaut mats.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Yup, the astronaut in yellow seals it for me. That's the one I'm getting, and maybe one of the technicals.

Offline LNSP_DZ

Saw the suggested deskmat designs. This will be my first GMK set ill own!

Offline gminso

can the poll include the astronaut in white? suddenly he became orange. I liked how it was all white and black.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
can the poll include the astronaut in white? suddenly he became orange. I liked how it was all white and black.
Agreed, I liked it better in monochrome.

As for the sublegends in the base kit, I for one like them and think they give the set a lot of flavor.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards

Like I mentioned earlier, GMK has already priced this set and the GB starts in a week — there is too little time to make kit changes now. I could have polled this topic a month or two ago but it's too late now. Then there's the price issue — another 12 keys would have brought the prices up even more. Sorry. 😕

ngl those sublegends are a _big_ yikes and a definite deal breaker for me as well.

and honestly I don't really see how adding standard alpha keys there and putting the sublegend keys into the novelties set instead would affect the price too much as those standard alpha keys wouldn't require any new molds being made.
if anything at all it would make the novelties kit a bit more expensive.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 February 2020, 14:53:44 by elmo »

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries

Like I mentioned earlier, GMK has already priced this set and the GB starts in a week — there is too little time to make kit changes now. I could have polled this topic a month or two ago but it's too late now. Then there's the price issue — another 12 keys would have brought the prices up even more. Sorry. 😕

ngl those sublegends are a _big_ yikes and a definite deal breaker for me as well.

and honestly I don't really see how adding standard alpha keys there and putting the sublegend keys into the novelties set instead would affect the price too much as those standard alpha keys wouldn't require any new molds being made.
if anything at all it would make the novelties kit a bit more expensive.

Another price quote from GMK will incur a pricing penalty. And these topics should have been brought up 1-4 months ago. 😉

Offline VoodooBear

Why are the sub legends bothering you so much? They’re a part of the design of the set and a tribute to the astronauts of Apollo 11, making the theme whole.

Just what FearsomeCubedWarrior said, simply they look weird. As for the "theme" I just thought that it was an AGC/DSKY themed set, not a broader "moon landing" set. So having the date and the names of the three astronauts randomly in sublegends doesn't make sense to me. But you're the designer and it's your set so I defer to you on what's "within theme" or not.

As for the timeframe, I'm honestly just not in here a lot. I loved the set when it first showed up back in October/November and just had it on my radar. Never crossed my mind the decision to add 6 new molds for some funky looking subs would be made.

But hey, like you said, too late to make changes now. So it's all water under the bridge. I still think Apollo + Lunar novelties/deskmat will make an awesome combo so I'm looking forward to that.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries

Just what FearsomeCubedWarrior said, simply they look weird. As for the "theme" I just thought that it was an AGC/DSKY themed set, not a broader "moon landing" set. So having the date and the names of the three astronauts randomly in sublegends doesn't make sense to me. But you're the designer and it's your set so I defer to you on what's "within theme" or not.

As for the timeframe, I'm honestly just not in here a lot. I loved the set when it first showed up back in October/November and just had it on my radar. Never crossed my mind the decision to add 6 new molds for some funky looking subs would be made.

But hey, like you said, too late to make changes now. So it's all water under the bridge. I still think Apollo + Lunar novelties/deskmat will make an awesome combo so I'm looking forward to that.

Gotcha. There were requests for those, and I liked the idea, pushing the boundaries of stuff that hasn’t been made before, to make a unique set for a unique keyboard (Austin R2 is coming soon and Lunar all most perfectly matches e-yellow finishes too!).

Offline Sunhwan Jeong

I confirmed the base-kit is $160 from TKC.
Is this true? Is it because of the new imprint in modifiers?
It is surprising that it is so expensive even though it is stock color.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
I confirmed the base-kit is $160 from TKC.
Is this true? Is it because of the new imprint in modifiers?
It is surprising that it is so expensive even though it is stock color.

GMK Lunar has 77 new molds, which GMK has graciously agreed to participate in financially, which allowed us to create this kit and offer it at this price. The colours themselves have no bearing on the price itself — stock or pantone just influences MOQ, not price.

So, while the price is high, please compare it to other kits, which have separate numpads, which are actually more expensive without having custom molds made. As an example, GMK Apollo is 120 USD for base kit + 50 USD for numpad kit = 170 USD. Lunar is 160 USD for everything. So while the price might be shocking to you initially, it's actually not that bad, especially considering all the custom work GMK will be doing.

This truly will be a unique set in that regard.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Would it be possible to split base and numpad?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Would it be possible to split base and numpad?

Not at this time and it doesn’t make financial sense for this kit, especially since the numpad kit alone would cost around 50 USD while the base kit would be only around 10-15 USD cheaper.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
GMK Lunar Pricing

Dear everyone,

I just received the final prices from all the vendors today. Salvun's artisans prices are still not 100% certain, so I will refrain from speculation.

— GMK Lunar has 77 new molds, which should make this one of the most unique GMK sets ever made.
— MOQ for the Command Module (base kit) is set at 150.
— Child kits are at 100.
— The Command Module + Lunar Module will allow you to cover 2 keyboards (one with split backspace etc.).
— I would also like to take this chance to thank GMK for all their help in graciously participating financially in this set, to help bring the price down, as well as the vendors, who have minimised their profits, to make it easier for all of you guys.
— The Command Module (base kit) offers completely custom modifiers and the whole design is based around the Apollo Guidance Computer, DSKY interface, and pays tribute to the upcoming 51st Anniversary of Apollo 11's moon mission.
— The Assembly Kit is designed to cover as many layouts, as was feasible. It's MOQ has already been bought out and it will be made.

The vendors participating in this group buy are as follows:

— The Key Company (USA): https://thekey.company/products/gmk-lunar
— MyKeyboard.eu (EU): https://mykeyboard.eu/
— Daily Clack (AUS): https://dailyclack.com/products/gmk-lunar
— iLumKB (SG/Asia): https://ilumkb.com/

Pricing is as follows...

USA

Command Module (base kit | 149 keys) — 160 USD
Houston! We Have a Problem! (novelty kit | 37 keys) — 75 USD
Lunar Module (alphas kit | 59 keys) — 65 USD
Landing Pad (Spacebars | 10 keys) — 25 USD
Service Module (assembly kit | 133 keys) — 165 USD

Europe

Command Module (base kit | 149 keys) — 151 EUR
Houston! We Have a Problem! (novelty kit | 37 keys) — 70 EUR
Lunar Module (alphas kit | 59 keys) — 57 EUR
Landing Pad (Spacebars | 10 keys) — 20 EUR
Service Module (assembly kit | 133 keys) — 160 EUR

Australia

Command Module (base kit | 149 keys) — 242 AUD
Houston! We Have a Problem! (novelty kit | 37 keys) — 113 AUD
Lunar Module (alphas kit | 59 keys) — 98 AUD
Landing Pad (Spacebars | 10 keys) — 38 AUD
Service Module (assembly kit | 133 keys) — 250 AUD

Asia

Command Module (base kit | 149 keys) — 224 SGD
Houston! We Have a Problem! (novelty kit | 37 keys) — 105 SGD
Lunar Module (alphas kit | 59 keys) — 91 SGD
Landing Pad (Spacebars | 10 keys) — 35 SGD
Service Module (assembly kit | 133 keys) — 230 SGD

Sidenote: The base kit, at 160 USD, with included numpad, is still cheaper than GMK Phosphorous was with a separate base kit (129 USD base + 34 USD numpad = 163 USD) and GMK Apollo (120 USD base + 50 USD numpad = 170 USD).

Kits

Command Module (Core Kit)
236798-0

Houston! We Have A Problem! (Novelty Kit)
236800-1

Landing Pad (Spacebar Kit)
236802-2

Lunar Module (N9 Alphas Kit)
236804-3

Service Module (Assembly Kit)
236806-4

Group buy starts...

USA — March 6, 9:00 pm EST (e.g. New York)
Europe — March 7, 3:00 am CET (e.g. Paris)
Asia — March 7, 10:00 am SGT (e.g. Singapore)
Australia — March 7, 12:00 pm QTZ (e.g. Brisbane)
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2020, 08:34:03 by Moridin »

Offline psycherhexic

Can't wait for these keys! Great prices and looking forward to the unique alphas and slick novelties.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries