Author Topic: Considering a Filco MX Brown  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Backward_Pawn

Considering a Filco MX Brown
« on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 01:34:21 »
Hi all,

I'm currently using an MS Natural keyboard for typing and gaming due to CT pain in my wrist.  It has helped with the pain, but the layout has always slowed down my typing and I have trouble reaching some keys while gaming.  I'm debating getting a Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown keyboard (first mechanical), in order to save space and get back to a basic layout.

Should the mechanical keyboard be enough to help with the wrist pain or am I going to regret ditching the split layout?  Thanks for any advice.

BP

Offline Tony

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 01:51:02 »
We geekhackers are not doctors. If you got RSI pain in your wrists, then you should consult a doctor first.

Mech keyboard is a bonus, not a cure.

By the way, this is a book that may be helpful

Since there's a lot of typists here, this book of Dr. Pascarelli about RSI - Repetitive Strain Injury is quite helpful and food for thought.

The faster you type, the higher risk you will be suffer from RSI.
(quoted from this book)

Download RSI - The Complete Guide.

Some excerpts

Computer keyboards

No other piece of computer equipment has had more design research and gone through more style changes than the computer keyboard. Research has focused on key placement, size, adjustability, touch, key pressure, and technical design. Still, the keyboard that suits everyone has not yet appeared.

What kind of keyboard should you buy? Choosing a keyboard can be confusing, as there are so many available at a wide range of prices. When you buy a new computer, it comes with a standard keyboard, and if it is not comfortable or is causing you pain, you will want to get one that suits your needs better. As mentioned in chapter 2, the elbow carrying angle, which varies from person to person, will affect the way you place your handsas you hit the keys. The greater your carrying angle, the greater the likelihood that you will need a split keyboard. In any case, I believe a split keyboard is generally a good choice for everyone.

Virtually all keyboards now on the market have the cheaper-to-manufacture membrane cushioning for keys, rather than the more desirable individual spring loading for each key, which is best for good touch feedback. Basically, three types of keyboards are available: traditional, fixed split, and adjustable split.

The traditional keyboard is supplied with most home computers and is usually what you will find at your workstation. Some are available with a number pad on the right side, while others are alphanumeric or have a separate number keyboard.

The fixed split keyboard has a split at an angle of about twenty-four degrees and a slight downward taper on each end, which takes the hand slightly out of the palms-down position. The number pad, on the right side, is flat. The palm apron along the front edge of these keyboards is not ergonomically sound—don’t rely on it to support your palms. Small legs that prop up the far end of the keyboard should not be used, since they encourage extending your wrist, as when pushing a door open, a harmful posture. If you purchase this type of keyboard, make sure you have the right size of pullout tray.

There are several varieties of adjustable keyboards. These keyboards can be placed in the traditional position, angled, and even tented so the hands are no longer in the palms-down position but are held somewhere between palms up and palms down.

According to Dr. Alan Hedge, an ergonomics researcher at Cornell University, keying with the palms in a vertical position, as in playing an accordion, allows the forearm tendons, which move the fingers, to work more easily. Since you cannot see the keys in this position, it is difficult or impossible for a nontouch typist to use one, so vertical mirrors are installed on each side.

Many of the people who feel uncomfortable in the palms-down position at the keyboard have tight forearm pronator and supinator muscles, which need to be stretched. By placing the adjustable keyboard at a tented angle of approximately thirty degrees they might feel more comfortable during their retraining. See chapter 6 for details on exercises.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 June 2011, 01:54:26 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Titmouse

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 06:07:50 »
Tony, do you know a place to download the book "It's Not Carpal Tunnel Syndrome! RSI Theory & Therapy for Computer Professionals" by Suparna Damany?

To the OP, here is the dilemma I have: although my keyboard with Cherry blues is a joy to type on, I can feel the strain in my wrists from its straight layout. I've tried the Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000 in a store. The split layout feels nice, but the keys just felt so bleh compared to the mechanical switches, and the number pad puts my mousing hand too far from my body. Right now I'm eying the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard, and may order one when (and if) it ships. The TE has the split layout, doesn't have the number pad, and I really like the placement of the navigation keys. The only thing that I don't like is the lack of the tilt away from the middle to fit your hand's pronation. If you feel that the MS keyboard helped with your pain, maybe you shouldn't abandon the split layout just yet. I would suggest getting used browns and blues keyboards on ebay or in the classifieds here, and see which switch you like the best, and if the straight layout gives your hands any trouble. After that, you can decide which keyboard is the best for you, and you can shell out the big buck for a new Filco, a TE, or whatever. Mechanical keyboard keeps their value well, and buying a used one at a reasonable price and selling it later pretty much only costs you the shipping.
"Surprise! We threw away your old ugly keyboard and got you a brand new ergonomic keyboard from Microsoft!"  -- Findecanor

Offline Backward_Pawn

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 09:38:44 »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll have to check out what keyboards I can get on ebay, since I don't want to buy a $140 paperweight (well, I guess someone would always buy it if I can't use it).

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 10:51:00 »
Your mileage may vary, but when I went from my Das Keyboard (Cherry MX Blue) to a MS Natural 4000, I actually started experiencing stiffness in my right wrist. After switching back to Cherry MX Switches (brown at work, red at home), the stiffness disappeared.

Offline Backward_Pawn

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 00:57:55 »
Thanks for the reply daerid.  I think I may go ahead and buy the Filco.  Especially since it appears they can be resold without losing too much, if it doesn't work out.  For touch typing and gaming (mostly FPS) is MX Brown a good compromise or will it be too light for the gaming?  Thanks.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 13:17:30 »
It's a good compromise. I like gaming on my brown, although not as much as my red, but brown is a solid all around switch.