Author Topic: New Windows 7 Keyboard Shortcuts  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Viett

New Windows 7 Keyboard Shortcuts
« on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 15:27:48 »
Some more Windows key win (no pun intended) for Windows 7 users:

http://lifehacker.com/5390086/the-master-list-of-new-windows-7-shortcuts
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 16:55:04 »
The new hotkey goodness didn't stop with the taskbar and moving windows around—one of the best new hotkeys in Windows 7 is the fact that you can create a new folder with a hotkey. Just open up any Windows Explorer window, hit the Ctrl+Shift+N shortcut key sequence, and you'll be rewarded with a shiny "New Folder" ready for you to rename.

About f****** time!!!

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 17:26:07 »
Quote from: Rajagra;128442
About f****** time!!!

That's what I thought when Vista introduced right-click folder create in the explorer tree view.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 23:59:38 »
Quote from: Rajagra;128442
About f****** time!!!

You said it. I use OS X at home and XP at work. I really miss the ability to create a new folder using keyboard shortcut on XP especially because I create way more new folders at work than at home.

Windows 7 seems very promising. I just have to find some time to backup the files on my wife's computer before I can upgrade it. I want to do a clean install.

Offline kw71

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 00:54:07 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;128966
I really miss the ability to create a new folder using keyboard shortcut on XP

Alt+F, W, F.

Unless some crappy application integrated itself into the shell and moves the F away from Folder under the "New..."  If so, you can edit this string in the registry, using an & character to change the keyboard shortcut.

Ctrl Shift N looks like they copied the Alt Shift N that I use on my Mac.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 01:58:09 »
Quote from: kw71;128989
Alt+F, W, F.

Unless some crappy application integrated itself into the shell and moves the F away from Folder under the "New..."

Sometimes you don't even get that far. Can you spot which crappy application messed this up?

What gets me is the inconsistency. Sometimes you have an icon you can click for a new folder but no obvious keyboard shortcut, and sometimes it's the other way round. I'm sure Explorer used to have an icon for a new folder, but they quietly retired it.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 07:20:52 »
Quote from: kw71;128989
Alt+F, W, F.

Unless some crappy application integrated itself into the shell and moves the F away from Folder under the "New..."  If so, you can edit this string in the registry, using an & character to change the keyboard shortcut.

Ctrl Shift N looks like they copied the Alt Shift N that I use on my Mac.

What I meant was that when comparing OS X with XP, one key combination under OS X was enough.