Author Topic: Recommend me a keyboard  (Read 1623 times)

Offline ahmad

Recommend me a keyboard
« on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 09:00:03 »
Hi guys,

My current keyboard is finally starting to fail, so I might need to buy a new one soon (what a shame!)

My preference, as far as I'm aware, is for tactile, soft, clicky switches (I can remember what I assume were cherry browns from Acorns at primary school!).  I suppose I could lose the clickiness wihtout a problem

Does anyone know of either

a) A relatively inexpensive mechanical board, preferably in UK layout
(I've been looking for the Raptor K1 but can't seem to find it anywhere)

or

b) A relatively inexpensive tenkeyless board (US layout is fine).
I've been looking at the Filco Zero with XM, but I'd rather wait until I can get the updated version with the problems sorted out...

Another option is the old SGI Granite keyboard I got with my O2.  I hate the feel of this thing, all springy, but I've read it has white alps with rubber dampers.  Is it possible to remove the dampers?  What would the switches feel like afterwards?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is mainly for typing and xmonad/blender, which means if I go for tenkeyless I'll also need a separate numpad..  Gaming is not a concern.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2009, 09:02:41 by ahmad »

Offline ahmad

Recommend me a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 09:24:16 »
I don't really know what standard ALPS feel like - the SGI apparently has rubber dampers on the switches (found somewhere on the wiki here).  Would it be possible to remove these to get a feel for stock white ALPS?

EDIT: Cheers for the filco tip.  It's a nice looking board; shame it's out of stock @ keyboardco ATM..

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Recommend me a keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 09:26:37 »
Another option is the old SGI Granite keyboard I got with my O2. I hate the feel of this thing, all springy, but I've read it has white alps with rubber dampers. Is it possible to remove the dampers? What would the switches feel like afterwards?

Worse. More friction-y and clunky. Black/Cream Alps aren't all that great.

I wouldn't completely write off the Filco Zero with Fukka switches.

He was talking about the XM ones, which are terrible.

If you want light, clicky switches, the blue Cherrys are what you need. Browns are quiet and the tactility is very subtle.

I can remember what I assume were cherry browns from Acorns at primary school!

Which Acorn was it? My primary school had a Micro and an Archimedes, and recently I pulled a Master out of a skip. Havent gotten around to seeing whether it works or not.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Recommend me a keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 12:14:28 »
If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive mechanical keyboard with a UK layout, it would be a good idea to do some research on eBay for an IBM Model M. They aren't the lightest in the world but they are clicky and tactile and very well-built. A Model M will last you a lifetime.

There are also Model M Space Savers, but I wouldn't get one unless I really needed space that a number pad takes up.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2009, 12:35:06 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Recommend me a keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 12:43:35 »
Sounds like a Cherry G80-3000 would be worth a shot - the G80-3000LSCGB-2 with blues, to be precise. New mechanical boards don't get much cheaper than that.
EDIT: Unfortunately int'l layouts seem to be a little hard to come by at the moment, they are mostly out of stock, and this model is also affected. It appears Cherry is behind with production for some reason.

Of course it can't hurt to have a Model M around either (1391406 should be the most common UK layout one).
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2009, 18:55:08 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D