Author Topic: Easy custom key layout?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline roadblock2thesun

Easy custom key layout?
« on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 13:33:26 »
Hey everyone,

I just had an idea that I wanted to share and maybe get some feedback on.

I have been remapping my keys trying to find an ideal layout, only to find that when I plug my keyboard into another computer, well, i have to go back to the standard layout.

I have been doing my remapping in autohotkey and noticed to day that autohotkey scripts can be packaged as executable files. I should then be able to put the executable on a flash drive and set it to autorun. If I then implant a usb hub into my keyboard, one port hooked to the keyboard, another to the flash drive, my layout should load almost instantly... right?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Easy custom key layout?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 13:41:44 »
That already exists - look up Portable Keyboard Layout.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline roadblock2thesun

Easy custom key layout?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 14:27:11 »
Thanks, that's one of the reasons I always post ideas before getting to work on them... never know when some of the work has already been done for you...

Offline JBert

Easy custom key layout?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 16:03:09 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;130200
That already exists - look up Portable Keyboard Layout.
Well, PKL is a nice and portable program but it does send some keypresses in a contrived way. I've seen shortcuts malfunction because of this whereas Autohotkey gets it mostly right.

Also, you'd still need to add an autorun script to make it run - AFAIK PKL doesn't supply such a thing.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline AndrewZorn

Easy custom key layout?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 01:50:53 »
i considered all this once too, but the thing about a purely automatic setup is that it will even run when you plug it back into your home computer.  if you already have something set up with AHK or windows then it is unnecessary.  i would just have the exe or whatever in the drive, enough computers bring up the "what do you want to do" that it should be pretty easy anyway.

Offline roadblock2thesun

Easy custom key layout?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 06:59:35 »
Good point, thanks for the suggestion.