Author Topic: any cyber vibe movies?  (Read 6785 times)

Offline TheNajin

any cyber vibe movies?
« on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 01:45:50 »
I have been staying at home recently and watching the movie Blade Runner. I feel that cyberpunk is really cool. Does anyone know more about cyberpunk? Any other movie recommendations?
钻满堂 Four of Diamonds | Custom Keyboard Studio

Offline Dumble_Hub

• Lets Go Bills!!!
Re: any cyber vibe movies?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 01:53:03 »
Akira should be right up your alley assuming you enjoy anime.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 04:05:48 »
akira is sick, i think ghost in the shell does the cyberpunk vibe really well.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 05:28:39 »
Tron (not cyberpunk but cool too)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 05:35:29 »
Blade Runner 2049 is pretty excellent. Rare not disappointing sequel.

Its sort of side sequel Soldier (1998) is something I caught on TV years ago and really enjoyed. It very silly but a fun late era 80's style action movie.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 06:07:00 »
Strange Days, Johnny Mnemonic, Cowboy Bebop Movie, Upgrade

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 07:33:13 »
Alien, Automata (2016), Demolition man, Robocop, ghost in the shell, it's really big, 3 series 3+ movies.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 07:55:37 »
The "Ghost in the Shell" franchise has an animated movie from the '90s which is a classic. It greatly influenced the Matrix movies, for one thing. Then there is the most excellent animated series "Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex".
You can ignore the later adaptations. Of course, nothing comes close to the original manga in depth or scope.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 08:07:30 »
Blade Runner is so good. It is one up my all-time favorites. I am also obsessed with Cyberpunk and retro-futurism.

Check out The Wraith, Johnny Mnemonic, Ghost in the Shell and Looper. Also, if you have not watched the new Bladerunner... it is great. Bladerunner 2049.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 08:26:21 »
Blade Runner is so good. It is one up my all-time favorites. I am also obsessed with Cyberpunk and retro-futurism.

Check out The Wraith, Johnny Mnemonic, Ghost in the Shell and Looper. Also, if you have not watched the new Bladerunner... it is great. Bladerunner 2049.

there's also a blade runner anime short.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 08:44:18 »
funny seeing Johnny Mnemonic recommended so much, I remember seeing that when it came to theaters.  Also second the Ghost in the Shell series of movies (Anime's) also the tv series would be good as well.  Also Ex Machina (2014) is another to add to that list.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 08:50:45 »
Most of the adaptations of Philip K ****'s work sorta/kind of fall into your category, but unfortunately many of them are not very good. **** had a bizarre writing style that was full of sub-plots, twists, paranoia, etc, that seldom survived the translation to the big screen. He is one of my favorite writers, but when somebody asks "What was his best book?" there is not really an answer (maybe the Valis trilogy?) because the entire body of work is a whole from which the pieces don't stand as well on their own.

Blade Runner was by far the best of the lot, and the one that **** himself was involved with (dying just before it was released to the public). I didn't like the sequel as well (it revolved around the same concept of the possibility of an android/human hybrid explored in the Battlestar Galactica reboot) but it was well done.

The better ones might be:

Minority Report
Total Recall (the old one)
The Adjustment Bureau
A Scanner Darkly

and some of the less successful ones were:

Radio Free Albemuth (could have/should have been much better!)
Next
Paycheck
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 09:00:31 »
funny seeing Johnny Mnemonic recommended so much, I remember seeing that when it came to theaters.  Also second the Ghost in the Shell series of movies (Anime's) also the tv series would be good as well.  Also Ex Machina (2014) is another to add to that list.

Ex-machina, not bad but kinda overhyped.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 09:14:25 »
It was never really hyped to me, I just like the basis behind the movie.
Can add Repo Men, Dredd & Judge Dredd, Cloud Atlas, Lawn Mower Man, Robocop (all of them), and Elysium to the mix.  Guess I am making a Cyber Movie collection on my server so I can enjoy these, been a looong time since I watched Lawn Mower Man and Repo Men.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 11:05:24 »
akira is sick, i think ghost in the shell does the cyberpunk vibe really well.

Might watch

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 23:18:07 »
Can't recommend many of the ones previously mentioned enough (especially the Cowboy Bebop series), though I haven't seen all of them, those that I have (most of those mentioned) are fantastic. Also maybe Metropolis? I still haven't seen that movie yet myself ... maybe by the time it is 100 years old.

Another few greats off of the top of my head that probably fit that most may not have even heard of would be Repo! The Genetic Opera (yes, it is a musical), Dark City, The Thirteenth Floor, 12 Monkeys (which also has a star-studded cast). I know I must be missing some good ones.

Ha, I even forgot about Equilibrium. I had to come back for that one.

If we're getting into anime territory, maybe Gungrave as well? And Space Pirate Captain Harlock, of course.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2020, 23:38:15 by Maledicted »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 23:40:45 »
The first 1/3rd of Hardware is some of the best post-apocolyptic steam punk set design and world building I've honestly seen in a film like that. It's so damn good, and then the movie turns into a killer robot bottle episode and it sucks. I don't know if I hate the back part of Hardware because the first part is so good, or if it really is that ****. I think they just blew their entire budget on the first part but still had a contract to finish the movie, it's the only explanation.

Ha, I even forgot about Equilibrium. I had to come back for that one.

that movie is sick
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2020, 23:43:00 by noisyturtle »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:27:42 »
Watched that a couple of days ago

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 10:22:11 »

The first 1/3rd of .... is some of the best .... It's so damn good,

and then the movie turns into .... and it sucks.

This is true so very often. The first 10th or 4th or 3rd or half is great and then it just chokes.

I don't think it's always the money, I think that often the initial concept is easy to blossom out into something exciting, but then winding it down to a coherent conclusion proves to be elusive or unsatisfying.

Tangentially, I often find that in music the intros to songs are far more interesting than the bodies of the songs themselves.

Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 10:31:58 »
I happened to re-watch the original Blade Runner just a few weeks ago. When I watched it again, I couldn't believe I missed the unicorn thing the first time. Definitely a good film.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 10:41:25 »

The first 1/3rd of .... is some of the best .... It's so damn good,

and then the movie turns into .... and it sucks.

This is true so very often. The first 10th or 4th or 3rd or half is great and then it just chokes.

I don't think it's always the money, I think that often the initial concept is easy to blossom out into something exciting, but then winding it down to a coherent conclusion proves to be elusive or unsatisfying.

Tangentially, I often find that in music the intros to songs are far more interesting than the bodies of the songs themselves.

What sort of music do you listen to? Good metal, or classical, should be able to hold your attention throughout. Intros and outros should just be icing on the cake.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 11:48:37 »

What sort of music do you listen to?

I listen to a wide variety but the majority of my listening is 1950s-1970s jazz and 1960s-1980s rock, along with a moderate amount of modern (classical?) avant-garde, conventional classical (I generally like the "classical" and "romantic" stuff a lot more than the Baroque), and some traditional blues.

My tastes are not very conventional and I had mostly left the mainstream in rock and jazz behind by the time I was in my early 20s. Punk rock was mildly interesting at the time, but by the time "metal" as its own genre (as differentiated from mainstream rock in the late-1970s-early-1980s) really came around I had moved into more experimental rock and jazz so I never got into it.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 11:57:44 »
I happened to re-watch the original Blade Runner just a few weeks ago. When I watched it again, I couldn't believe I missed the unicorn thing the first time. Definitely a good film.
Missed the origami unicorn, or the unicorn dream?

The dream wasn't in the theatrical version. Therefore, that version did not decide for you if Deckard was a replicant or a human. You are supposed to make up your own mind.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 16:35:32 »

The dream wasn't in the theatrical version. Therefore, that version did not decide for you if Deckard was a replicant or a human. You are supposed to make up your own mind.

ye they added in a bunch more unicorn **** to really drive that home in case anyone missed it the first time

I like the original ending where Decker drives her out to a peaceful field and shoots her in the head like an old dog.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 22:17:35 »
not a movie, but if you like to read check out neuromancer, fantastic cyberpunk novel.
eh o well

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 22:35:57 »

Ex Machina was interesting. I liked it, but I had to marinate on it for a bit before I decided that I liked it.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 01:43:35 »

I can't remember which of the two was missing; probably the dream then. It's been a long time since I watched it previously. The thought whether he was human or not didn't occupy me the first time around, the thing that stuck around more was that the replicants were more humane than the humans were.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 03:47:09 »
I did mention it but I think it's worth mentioning again, Strange Days may be the most cyberpunk movie ever made. Every time I mention it no one's seen it and it's a cyberpunk masterpiece so I don't understand that. If you've ever read Burning Chrome, specifically Sim Stim, you really must see it at least once.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 07:46:49 »
I did mention it but I think it's worth mentioning again, Strange Days may be the most cyberpunk movie ever made. Every time I mention it no one's seen it and it's a cyberpunk masterpiece so I don't understand that. If you've ever read Burning Chrome, specifically Sim Stim, you really must see it at least once.
Also had a great soundtrack for the time that it was released.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 08:12:58 »

I didn't even recognize the name when you first brought it up, somehow. Now that I look again, I can't agree enough. Fantastic movie.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 08:39:18 »

the replicants were more humane than the humans were.

Is "humane" a typo? Blade Runner replicants were hardly humane, although they were quite "human".

Going to Leslieann's comment on another thread, the humanity of androids is rapidly becoming an overused theme, and they are rarely humane regardless of how "human" they seem to have become (eg Battlestar Galactica (reboot), Ex Machina, Star Trek Picard .... ) even when they are attempting to mate and procreate with humans. Speaking of Star Trek Picard, setting aside its chaotic and muddled ending, we were reminded that Data was one of those rare androids who genuinely and desperately desired to be thoroughly human (and humane). 

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 17:14:20 »
I like the original ending where Decker drives her out to a peaceful field and shoots her in the head like an old dog.

Must be late here but... Who's Decker and what's that version? I've never seen it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner

Which one would it be among those?

P.S: downloading Strange Days atm
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 17:28:15 »
Dark City

I was going to suggest this so instead I'll just say "+1" : )

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 17:54:54 »
A good starting point:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CyberPunk
Beware, this site is the famed rabbit hole...

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 22:35:57 »
So, it is not really cyberpunk... but everyone should check out Underwater.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 23:03:23 »
So, it is not really cyberpunk... but everyone should check out Underwater.

Tp4 just watched Sphere (1998)

Tp4 thought underwater is a decent B-movie. Kristen Stewart is easy on the eyes, even though fans have been complaining she's gotten a bit chubb

Offline Coreda

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 23:43:51 »
Tp4 just watched Sphere (1998)

Show Image

Watched trailer on mute. Looked like it was attempting to market itself like some Alien-inspired thing along with the sentient AI cliche. Even ended with the similar 'S P H E R E' lettering fading in like Alien :p

Heard someone yesterday saying they liked it though, coincidentally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 00:09:15 »

Watched trailer on mute. Looked like it was attempting to market itself like some Alien-inspired thing along with the sentient AI cliche. Even ended with the similar 'S P H E R E' lettering fading in like Alien :p

It's got a few notable cerebral moments.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 02:04:17 »
2012's Dredd. Amazing movie, perfect example of the cyberpunk genre. It unfortunately bombed at box office, but the movie was actually really well thought out. Ironically, it didn't do super well because it was in 3d, but the 3d scenes were actually extremely well thought out. I can't recommend it enough.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 03:26:47 »
2012's Dredd. Amazing movie, perfect example of the cyberpunk genre.
While honestly a really good movie, it's not cyberpunk. It has some vibes (visuals in some parts) but is lacking all the defining themes of the genre.

One anime that fit the genre 100% was Cyber City Oedo 808. It's one of the most precise definitions of it.

Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex is also almost there, with two important differences: main characters are an official police force (even though it's a black ops) and the antagonist / foil is not mega corporations but usually corrupt government or lone hackers (which would be cyberpunk for the latter if the situation was reversed). The post-humanity and hacking/matrix themes are 100% there though.

Akira is not really cyberpunk, one could say it's a neo-cyberpunk approach or "bio-punk" maybe ? I remember playing a table top RPG called "cyber generations" which used a similar setting. It lacks the "cyber" element and the hacking theme. It did help define the visual aspect of the genre though (even though Blade Runner did that before).

Offline kidcongo

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 04:07:51 »
Not sure if already mentioned but the original Terminator springs to mind, if looking for slightly left field choices how about Brazil, Videodrome and (the truely bonkers) Tetsuo:The Iron Man.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 07:49:09 »
Not sure if already mentioned but the original Terminator springs to mind, if looking for slightly left field choices how about Brazil, Videodrome and (the truely bonkers) Tetsuo:The Iron Man.
1st Terminator movie was just a thriller about time travel, with a bit of sci-fi background.. There is none of the cyberpunk themes in there or even visuals. Robocop instead is touching the subject a bit more closely...
Brazil, now that's an interesting choice. Although the main antagonist is again the government and one of the main themes is bureaucracy, it's mostly a movie about the passing of age and dreams or disillusions of a working adult in a bureaucratic world.. It's based almost entirely on Kafka, who indeed had an influence on cyberpunk itself. It's also very settled in the Reagan era and that's a strong cyberpunk vibe. Body modification is only hinted at and not the way cyberpunk embraces it though, and it misses the hacking / matrix part. But it's an interesting case study of what led to cyberpunk itself indeed.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 07:51:42 »
While honestly a really good movie, it's not cyberpunk. It has some vibes (visuals in some parts) but is lacking all the defining themes of the genre.
I disagree. Dredd is a perfect example of a cyberpunk setting.

Dystopic future.
Mega-city surrounded by irradiated wasteland.
Police-state vs anarchy themes.
Mega city run by a crime syndicate.
plenty of examples of how a high-tech future effects a lower-class society.
An Anti-Hero protagonist.
High-Tech Nior, cybernetic cops, future drugs, rock and roll, and most importantly, excessive violence.

Need I say more?

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 09:43:45 »
I disagree. Dredd is a perfect example of a cyberpunk setting.
(...)
Need I say more?
Again, let's see: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CyberpunkTropes
While it's a good dystopian future setting, the main protagonist is not a nobody or a misfit, and actually from the police. Corporations are mostly absent from the setting (of that movie, the original comics might differ a bit here), cyber body modification is not in there, the high-tech impact on society is only brushed off in the background.. Have the roles been reversed (having the main protagonist a punk fighting Dredd and the police) maybe, but again it also misses the "hacker culture" / "everything is online" part. Again, a counter-example to this with a similar setting is Robocop which does fit a bit more tightly into the cyberpunk idea (even though it's still not entirely it, it's actually "post-cyberpunk": https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PostCyberpunk )...

I'd also mention something similar in anime world: Psycho-Pass is also post-cyberpunk. A quite interesting approach in contrast to the Ghost In The Shell series which oscillates between both approaches.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 April 2020, 09:51:49 by Surefoot »

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 11:55:34 »
While it's a good dystopian future setting, the main protagonist is not a nobody or a misfit, and actually from the police. Corporations are mostly absent from the setting (of that movie, the original comics might differ a bit here), cyber body modification is not in there, the high-tech impact on society is only brushed off in the background.. Have the roles been reversed (having the main protagonist a punk fighting Dredd and the police) maybe, but again it also misses the "hacker culture" / "everything is online" part. Again, a counter-example to this with a similar setting is Robocop which does fit a bit more tightly into the cyberpunk idea (even though it's still not entirely it, it's actually "post-cyberpunk": https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PostCyberpunk )...
Just because it doesn't have all of the tropes, doesn't mean it doesn't fit into the Cyberpunk genre.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 12:08:26 »
Just because it doesn't have all of the tropes, doesn't mean it doesn't fit into the Cyberpunk genre.

LOL, this argument is silly because these boundaries are not clearly defined.

Even if they were,  it'd only take a minor extra in the back with a doohickie glued to his face to qualify the entire movie for the genre .

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 12:53:10 »
1st Terminator movie was just a thriller about time travel, with a bit of sci-fi background.. There is none of the cyberpunk themes in there or even visuals.
It's meta though: Part of it is set in the club "Tech Noir" ...

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 02:47:03 »
Words have a meaning though. It doesnt even fit into post-cyberpunk (or neo-cyber as i've seen that genre named a few times) as the main theme is clearly not there at all. There are a few vibes here and there, but that's it... Again people are quite mistaken about what constitutes "cyberpunk" and what just looks like it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 08:32:40 »
Words have a meaning though. It doesnt even fit into post-cyberpunk (or neo-cyber as i've seen that genre named a few times) as the main theme is clearly not there at all. There are a few vibes here and there, but that's it... Again people are quite mistaken about what constitutes "cyberpunk" and what just looks like it.

They bad guys are ugly, and they wear eyeliner.  That's = Punk.   One of them has a mechanical nubben somewhere, and there you go..

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 16:56:13 »
They bad guys are ugly, and they wear eyeliner.  That's = Punk.   One of them has a mechanical nubben somewhere, and there you go.. [/size][/color][/font]
You are confusing "cyberpunk" with "post-apocalyptic" here mate ;) Or else by that metric Mad Max is also cyberpunk (which it is not at all)... Again, many people mistake this genre for something else and that's a good example.
The fact is there are not so many movies or even less series that explore the genre proper, apart from classic anime of course, maybe the upcoming CDPR game will give some ideas to producers, who knows :)
As the OP mentioned Blade Runner only has the vibe of it, more exactly it codified the visuals of the genre, and the "film noir" aspect, while not being a cyberpunk story itself. Also it slid in the "mega corp housed in a giant arcology" secondary trope that is found throughout the staples of the genre.
Anime is where it's at for the most part, with GIST: Standalone Complex being a rather well known example (although oscillating somewhat towards post-cyber in quite a few aspects, some of the main protagonists like Batou or especially Ishikawa, also rogue AIs and such are pure cyberpunk material) and a slew of classic late 80's - early 90's productions deep into the genre.
I dont know if it's been mentioned but Minority Report is a good example of post- (or neo-) cyberpunk. Technology affecting society is the main there so it fits right in.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 18:46:56 »
I am surprised that one of the best books, Snow Crash by Stephenson, has never been made into a movie.

As I was reading it I kept feeling like it had literally been written to be a movie, from its very inception, it checks all of the boxes and is very visual to boot.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 18:57:15 »
Honestly I think a lot of people conflate Steampunk and Cyberpunk and all the **** that fall under their respective umbrellas.

I just separate them all into their own eras.
Protocyberpunk covering stuff like Fallout, Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow, Phillip K. **** things that would generally be called Steam or Dieselpunk or are thus antiquated futures.
Cyberpunk covering what immediately springs to mind for the genre, mostly 1980's or more modern-day vibe works like Blade Runner, Shadowrun, Snow Crash.
Post-cyberpunk which is much more like an alternate timeline of today, more meta and self-referential and hinging it's uniqueness on tropes, things like Metal Gear, Inception, Devs.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 19:54:25 »
What about series?

I go with "Altered Carbon".

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 19:57:35 »
What about series?

Season 2 is safe,  Season 1 is too much secs-stuff

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 23:25:44 »
What about series?

Season 2 is safe,  Season 1 is too much secs-stuff

Oh thx tp4: I didn't know there was a season 2, it's recent apparently.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 02:35:02 »
Post-cyberpunk which is much more like an alternate timeline of today, more meta and self-referential and hinging it's uniqueness on tropes, things like Metal Gear, Inception, Devs.
I would add Summer Wars, which is a perfect example of that genre.
Also: Paprika.

I've read that W.Gibson abandoned the idea of adapting Neuromancer to a movie when he saw Blade Runner, as he tought people would think his adaptation would be just a remake or a copycat since R.Scott's movie was absolutely spot-on for the visuals and vibe. I think it's now ripe for an adaptation though, with the renewed popularity of Cyberpunk. That would also put Snow Crash up for an adaptation.