geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

[PROJECT] Ten Key Mirrored 2021 (full size 104 key custom keyboard)

<< < (2/27) > >>

TalkingTree:

--- Quote from: cest73 on Sun, 03 January 2021, 13:40:38 ---the two shifts to get a "spare" 1u aside of each?
--- End quote ---
1.25u and 1u actually. I'd also split the numpad's 2u. But that's just me.

--- Quote from: cest73 on Sun, 03 January 2021, 13:40:38 ---The hard question is the "Big Ass enter"
--- End quote ---
BAE is a mere combination of ISO and ANSI enter. Once you have the ISO footprint and the stabilizer holes for both variants, you're done.

--- Quote from: cest73 on Sun, 03 January 2021, 13:40:38 ---IIRC the 32u4 is exactly enough for my 104 w/o that one backlight pin?
--- End quote ---
More than enough. I made a fullsize keyboard out of it with three dedicated LED indicators with a 32u4. It's opensource too if you wanna take a look at it.

--- Quote from: cest73 on Sun, 03 January 2021, 13:40:38 ---I doubt it would impact the price too hard, or am I missing something?

--- End quote ---
The AT90USB1286 costs twice as much as the 32u4 if I recall but certainly the highest price is on the PCB.

cest73:

--- Quote from: TalkingTree on Sun, 03 January 2021, 14:45:22 ---[snip]

--- Quote from: cest73 on Sun, 03 January 2021, 13:40:38 ---IIRC the 32u4 is exactly enough for my 104 w/o that one backlight pin?
--- End quote ---
More than enough. I made a fullsize keyboard out of it with three dedicated LED indicators with a 32u4. It's opensource too if you wanna take a look at it.

--- End quote ---
What was your design goal? There seems to be more than one G80-3000 on github out there?

Suavity:
From a quick glance of the PCB Render, it looks like your traces are really close to the edges of the PCB. Perhaps the placement of the MCU can be repositioned to the spacing between the PrtSc, Esc, Num Lock, and Tilde Keys.  Just food for thought.  :thumb:

Applet:
I'd recommend to rotate the switches 180 degrees. There is some issues with that rotation and cherry-profile keycaps.

Just a tip: Duplex matrix is a good way to keep the pin count lower, without adding too much complexity: https://wiki.ai03.com/books/pcb-design/page/matrices-and-duplex-matrix . Doing symmetrical matrices can be a bit of a pain (11x11, 12x12 etc) if you don't think it through thoroughly.

cest73:

--- Quote from: Suavity on Sun, 03 January 2021, 17:34:16 ---From a quick glance of the PCB Render, it looks like your traces are really close to the edges of the PCB. Perhaps the placement of the MCU can be repositioned to the spacing between the PrtSc, Esc, Num Lock, and Tilde Keys.  Just food for thought.  :thumb:

--- End quote ---
Damn!
At first i thought "he's right!", then i reconsidered it...

"How bad can it be to have few traces closer to the edge, and anyhow the ample empty area beneath the space bar is where many other DIYers put the MCU anyway"

Then i looked up some guide lines on the internet, found nothing particular to the placement to the edge, and ground traces are the outer most anyway...

Then i thought of it some more, and damn he's right!

Back to the drawing board program we go...
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version