Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3531402 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #4400 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 01:26:47 »
Anyone ever tried installing an RGB led into an MX key?
I distinctly recall a youtube video demonstrating the assembly of the Ergodox kit, where the (Scandinavian by the accent but I forget who) vlogger modifies the caps lock to accept an LED, which involves a dremel to the keyswitch cover before soldering the LED to board next to the switch in question.

I thought that this mod was so that you can still swap stems/springs without desoldering the LED.  What I am talking about is the RGB LED with 4 leads coming off them.  You can get them with a common anode or common cathode.  I wonder if you could just bend and slide the other 2 leads through the holes where the diode would go for in switch diodes.  This would still require switch top modding but may not require removing the entire front section.

Also since these are controlled by adjusting the voltage to the various leads I would assume that you can change the colors with just 3 rheostats?  One on each non common lead.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #4401 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 07:38:36 »
I ask again,sorry OOT :)

What mean:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive

I try register something forum in country,i've try lot password but always fail, :eek:
even my password with combination no,caps.etc but always fail can help me :'(

thanks very much all!
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4402 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 07:45:30 »

What mean:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive

I try register something forum in country,i've try lot password but always fail, :eek:

thanks very much all!

You probably need to find the link to 'reset' your password.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4403 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 09:57:14 »

What mean:

thanks very much all!

Please don't ask off topic questions here. This thread is for keyboard and Geekhack related stuff only.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4404 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 14:28:24 »
Anyone ever tried installing an RGB led into an MX key?
I distinctly recall a youtube video demonstrating the assembly of the Ergodox kit, where the (Scandinavian by the accent but I forget who) vlogger modifies the caps lock to accept an LED, which involves a dremel to the keyswitch cover before soldering the LED to board next to the switch in question.

I thought that this mod was so that you can still swap stems/springs without desoldering the LED.  What I am talking about is the RGB LED with 4 leads coming off them.  You can get them with a common anode or common cathode.  I wonder if you could just bend and slide the other 2 leads through the holes where the diode would go for in switch diodes.  This would still require switch top modding but may not require removing the entire front section.

Also since these are controlled by adjusting the voltage to the various leads I would assume that you can change the colors with just 3 rheostats?  One on each non common lead.
Since you already almost certainly have a microcontroller, it'd be much easier to just use PWM and a transistor (if necessary) to power the RGBLED(s). and if, not, a potentiometer is likely a better choice than a rheostat unless you're drawing a ton of current, and you'd need an external power supply (battery pack or wallplug) for that anyway, so it's a crazy design anyway.

That said, I think this is possible, but only if you modify the switch housing to get rid of the diode holder "walls" between the LED and diode holes int he switch bottom.

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4405 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 01:33:30 »
I took apart my Shine III to try and do the Cherry stabilizer mod.  So I took out 3 LEDs from the space bar, but when I soldered them back in they had stopped working.  Any idea what the issue might be???

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4406 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 01:40:55 »
I took apart my Shine III to try and do the Cherry stabilizer mod.  So I took out 3 LEDs from the space bar, but when I soldered them back in they had stopped working.  Any idea what the issue might be???

Did you solder them in the right way?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4407 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 01:40:55 »

Soldered them in the wrong way? (polarity)
I love Elzy

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #4408 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 13:51:14 »
are the keycaps that on utron smaller than keycaps that on realfore/ hhkb?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4409 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 14:28:23 »
are the keycaps that on utron smaller than keycaps that on realfore/ hhkb?

I believe they are physically smaller, yes. As a result, the key spacing is slightly closer than a standard keyboard.

You can see webwit's comparisons inm some of his pictures, here:

Cropped from webwit's photo. Linked below. Thanks and credit to webwit for this picture.

http://webwit.nl/input/utron/utron_vs_hhkb1.jpg
http://webwit.nl/input/utron/utron_vs_hhkb2.jpg
http://webwit.nl/input/utron/utron_vs_hhkb3.jpg
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2013, 14:32:01 by dorkvader »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #4410 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 16:00:45 »
Looking to replace the stock MX Blue switches on a Cherry G80-3000, with a batch of MX White switches.  The MX White switches don't have internal diodes, is my only recourse to open each switch and insert a diode, bending leads to fit?  Or can I add the diodes directly to the PCB?

Just trying to figure out the order of installation, before I put all the switches into the steel plate.  It's a stock plate, no cut-outs for opening the switch tops.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4411 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 16:09:48 »
Looking to replace the stock MX Blue switches on a Cherry G80-3000, with a batch of MX White switches.  The MX White switches don't have internal diodes, is my only recourse to open each switch and insert a diode, bending leads to fit?  Or can I add the diodes directly to the PCB?

Just trying to figure out the order of installation, before I put all the switches into the steel plate.  It's a stock plate, no cut-outs for opening the switch tops.
Wait.. I thought G80-3000s were PCB mount?
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #4412 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 16:16:28 »

Wait.. I thought G80-3000s were PCB mount?

They are...  I'm just using the PCB from the G80-3000, to mount Cherry MX switches in a Marquardt military keyboard case.  Which uses a really robust steel plate.

The MX White switches I have are plate-mount, but that's how I'm using them.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2013, 16:20:36 by Greystoke »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4413 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 16:40:09 »
They are...  I'm just using the PCB from the G80-3000, to mount Cherry MX switches in a Marquardt military keyboard case.  Which uses a really robust steel plate.

Ah I see.. Yeah, you'll need to take the diodes out and put them in the whites unfortunately.
github

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #4414 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 16:48:20 »

Ah I see.. Yeah, you'll need to take the diodes out and put them in the whites unfortunately.
Thanks!  I guess I'll get to use The Beast's switch tools after all. 

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4415 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 10:35:20 »
What's the most common form of material used for keyboard plates?
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4416 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 10:36:39 »
What's the most common form of material used for keyboard plates?

stainless steel

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4417 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 10:41:03 »
or alu
github

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4418 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 10:43:34 »
Is it tiring to type on a steel plate for too long since it is stiffer than aluminum? What is the usual thickness of the metal.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4419 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 10:46:09 »
Is it tiring to type on a steel plate for too long since it is stiffer than aluminum? What is the usual thickness of the metal.
1.5mm or 0.06" are both the best thicknesses. 1/16" is very close but not perfect.

I seriously doubt you'd notice too much of a difference between the two.. I can say with certainty you wouldn't get tired more while using one of the metals.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 October 2013, 10:49:48 by Photekq »
github

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4420 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:01:21 »

That brings up an interesting thought, I agree with photekq I've never really seen any indication that the plate material affected how 'tired' one might get typing, normally that is dependent upon switches/keycaps etc.

What I wonder is would typing on a PCB mount vs plate mount have a difference. I could see where PCB mount might be more fatiguing if the switches had some wiggle/woble to them.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4421 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:17:38 »
With that in mind, would stainless steel or aluminum be a cheaper material to work with? What do you recommend. Is it possible to anodize aluminum/steel?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
« Reply #4422 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:20:29 »
With that in mind, would stainless steel or aluminum be a cheaper material to work with? What do you recommend. Is it possible to anodize aluminum/steel?
You can anodized both.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4423 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:21:33 »
Difference in price is negligible.. You ought to google simple stuff like can you anodise alu/steel before asking it here, but to save you the large amount of effort involved in doing so.. you can anodise aluminium, you cannot anodise steel.
You can anodized both.
No you cannot anodise steel.
github

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
« Reply #4424 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:24:06 »
Difference in price is negligible.. You ought to google simple stuff like can you anodise alu/steel before asking it here, but to save you the large amount of effort involved in doing so.. you can anodise aluminium, you cannot anodise steel.
You can anodized both.
They said yes. But I haven't see one myself.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4425 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:26:13 »
"Yes, it can be done. It does not have the usefulness that aluminum anodizing has."

If you want to get technical, then yes it can be done, but it is nothing like aluminium or titanium anodising. It's crap, don't bother with it.
github

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4426 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:27:15 »
You can anodized both.
Far too much effort. Then again, the thread IS called "simple questions, simple answers". I guess I may use anodized aluminum.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4427 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:30:22 »
Far too much effort. Then again, the thread IS called "simple questions, simple answers". I guess I may use anodized aluminum.
It's for simple questions related to keyboards/other similar subjects (electronics) that can't be answered by a simple google search. Or at least that's what I always thought it was.
github

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4428 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:40:24 »

Did you solder them in the right way?

Yes, I'm pretty sure I did.  But the LED on the switch is really low and the two in between the cherry stab and the switch don't come on at all (those never even came out, I just desoldered then put the solder back in when the LED refused to come out).  However, I noticed that the side LEDs were really hot when I were finished with them, could they have been literally burned out?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4429 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:42:21 »
You can anodized both.

If you read the thread a little, it says that even if you anodize it, you're limited in colors and there's no benefit to material properties unless you do a secondary coating. Seems like a superfluous step in processing unless you really want black stainless steel. Most people just paint their stainless plates.

What I wonder is would typing on a PCB mount vs plate mount have a difference. I could see where PCB mount might be more fatiguing if the switches had some wiggle/woble to them.

Not really. I don't a change in fatigue when I type on my Pure (currently PCB mounted) vs my KMAC (plate mounted).

It's for simple questions related to keyboards/other similar subjects (electronics) that can't be answered by a simple google search. Or at least that's what I always thought it was.

The OP has a quick summary on how ideally this thread should work but it's become a thread where you can ask anything keyboard related and get a quick answer. Might not always be super detailed, but the answers from me will be fast and useful.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I did.  But the LED on the switch is really low and the two in between the cherry stab and the switch don't come on at all (those never even came out, I just desoldered then put the solder back in when the LED refused to come out).  However, I noticed that the side LEDs were really hot when I were finished with them, could they have been literally burned out?

Maybe? There's a few links in the OP that will show you which way the LEDs should face. Check that and then maybe measure the LEDs with a digital multimeter to see if they're registering the proper voltages?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4430 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 12:26:11 »

It's possible to burn out an LED. What sorts of test equipment do you have available? you can measure the LED's Vf (forward Voltage drop, or what is usually just referred to the diode's Voltage) with a multimeter. Then, if it reads a "normal" value, you can try to apply that voltage with a power supply (or battery is you have ones in the right voltage) to directly test the LED.

Practise measuring LED's one one you know works first.

Note that the "diode Voltage" function of many multimeters will not always work with white LED's (or anything over about 3V. I don't anticipate this to be a problem with your T1 size LED, but you never know)

But first, since you desoldered it, you should check to make sure it's soldered back right. Use a continuity tester to check.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4431 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 23:55:32 »
For custom plates that get cut for this community.  Any idea what grade of aluminum and stainless get used most often?  I would assume what is cheap-ish as the properties from more expensive wouldn't have hardly any difference on usability for what we are using it for.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4432 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 00:30:46 »
Why are cc's so expensive? I assume its supply and demand. Also does the cc effect also apply to say binge caps or gasmasks?

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4433 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 00:54:39 »
Why are cc's so expensive? I assume its supply and demand. Also does the cc effect also apply to say binge caps or gasmasks?
CC's are expensive as they are released in limited batches and are not sold often. That makes them exceptionally rare. It's not really a cc effect, it's simply supply and demand and rarity. Binge caps and gasmasks are likely not to become as high in value, unless either decided to only produce caps once in a blue moon. Also, there has to be a willing fan base to purchase caps at those prices. Then again, Binge caps are awesome so it may happen :)
Keyboards Owned:

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #4434 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 00:55:55 »
CC's are expensive as they are released in limited batches and are not sold often. That makes them exceptionally rare. It's not really a cc effect, it's simply supply and demand and rarity. Binge caps and gasmasks are likely not to become as high in value, unless either decided to only produce caps once in a blue moon. Also, there has to be a willing fan base to purchase caps at those prices. Then again, Binge caps are awesome so it may happen :)
When CC's were first released they didn't sell out for weeks in the EK store.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4435 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 01:06:04 »

There are dozens of threads about this already - it should be in the FAQ (at the top!).

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39794.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48173.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45669.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44858.0

For starters.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4436 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 02:29:44 »
When CC's were first released they didn't sell out for weeks in the EK store.
Well you learn something new every day.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4437 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 06:12:29 »

There are dozens of threads about this already - it should be in the FAQ (at the top!).

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39794.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48173.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45669.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44858.0

For starters.

I suppose I should add this huh...and the FAQ doesn't really have an order. I just keep adding to it and the order is whatever question I think should be added is added last.

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #4438 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:45:36 »
Hey, this thread is really long and I am sure this has been asked before but I haven't really been able to find it so I apologize if it's a rehash.

Where would I go to buy individual PBT Thick keycaps? It seems you can only buy sets of 104 but I only want modifiers or individual keys, is this something that is offered? How do people generally buy their keycaps? Seems like a lot of wasted unused keycaps if I buy the 104 set and use 13 of them...

thanks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:54:59 by kgrad5 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4439 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:48:46 »
Where would I go to buy individual PBT Thick keycaps?

Signature Plastics might have some for sale loose but other than that, I don't think there's a vendor that sells individual PBT caps. Maybe someone on Banggood or Taobao might but I'm not too familiar with those sites. Is there a reason you don't want a full set?

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #4440 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:54:04 »
Where would I go to buy individual PBT Thick keycaps?

Signature Plastics might have some for sale loose but other than that, I don't think there's a vendor that sells individual PBT caps. Maybe someone on Banggood or Taobao might but I'm not too familiar with those sites. Is there a reason you don't want a full set?

Well I wouldn't really use the full set, I would like to add some color to my new FC660M but I know that there is a non-standard right shift key so I would have to buy 2 sets if I wanted to replace both, also there are a lot of keys I would just not use at all. It's more of a cost thing, it would be easier to acquire one key at a time I think or even just modifier sets and an additional shift key I guess.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:57:18 by kgrad5 »

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #4441 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 14:12:00 »
I have a QFR with blue switches, I really dislike the blue switches and I want to change them to brown (or clear or even green to try).

Question 1: Where is the best place to buy a pack of brown switches (or other)?
Question 2 (more important): How would I go about replacing switches? Is there a guide? I have read that plate mounted boards are tough(er?) to switch.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4442 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 14:14:53 »
1: Ask around in the classifieds or participate in the 7bit group buy over at deskthority.net if that's still going on. They're generally not readily available in small quantities.
2: Desolder each switch (2 points) on the board, pop em off, resolder the new ones in.

WFD has videos... here's his phantom one

You can youtube whitefiredragon keyboard for all his builds.
I love Elzy

Offline Martyr

« Reply #4443 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 01:44:10 »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase a Terran eagle keycap. I know feng sells the shield, but I prefer the eagle symbol.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4444 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 02:11:21 »
Are there any common spring pairings for jailhouse blues?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline homojomo

« Reply #4445 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 04:56:39 »
so ive been having a few issues lately with my keyboard. got it earlier this year called mstone and what ive noticed is that the keys are a little unresponsive during games.
it works perfectly when typing and stuff, but when playing games (most notably brood war or dota 2), a key doesnt register. i dont ever have this problem with older keyboards, but then again none of them were mechanical so...
with brood war my biggest problem is when cycling through production buildings i will often find that some of them dont actually start production because my key didnt register. similar stuff for dota, items or skills not being pressed. i dont think its just me being bad because i never have these issues at pc bangs or with previous keyboards, and when typing i hardly ever miss a key. any thoughts? from what ive gathered already the only solution is to get a new keyboard, but that is definitely not what i want to do so im hoping you guys might have some other solutions.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4446 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 05:22:47 »
so ive been having a few issues lately with my keyboard. got it earlier this year called mstone and what ive noticed is that the keys are a little unresponsive during games.
it works perfectly when typing and stuff, but when playing games (most notably brood war or dota 2), a key doesnt register. i dont ever have this problem with older keyboards, but then again none of them were mechanical so...
with brood war my biggest problem is when cycling through production buildings i will often find that some of them dont actually start production because my key didnt register. similar stuff for dota, items or skills not being pressed. i dont think its just me being bad because i never have these issues at pc bangs or with previous keyboards, and when typing i hardly ever miss a key. any thoughts? from what ive gathered already the only solution is to get a new keyboard, but that is definitely not what i want to do so im hoping you guys might have some other solutions.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Some switches?  All switches?

Does this happen when normal typing?

What switches (e.g. MX black)?

Is it possible that in the heat of the game you are simply not pressing the key all teh way down occasionally?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4447 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 06:39:30 »
Sounds like MX Blues to me. For gaming, try a keyboard with linear MX switches, such as Black or Red.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4448 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 06:45:50 »
Are there any common spring pairings for jailhouse blues?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45992.0

^^ that should help you find anything you ever wanted to know about jailhouse blues

Offline homojomo

« Reply #4449 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 08:13:42 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

Some switches?  All switches?

Does this happen when normal typing?

What switches (e.g. MX black)?

Is it possible that in the heat of the game you are simply not pressing the key all teh way down occasionally?
thx. the switches are brown, i dont like the feel of black or red. to my knowledge the switches shouldnt affect gaming though, am i wrong?
it doesnt happen when typing normally, only happens when gaming. not sure if its related to apm either, since brood war takes a lot of apm but dota doesnt really require you to press a lot of keys
and im definitely pressing enough for the keys to register. sometimes i purposely press harder than i would than when typing just to make sure it registers, but still no luck.