geekhack Marketplace > HKP Memory

2014 Christmas Giveaway #3 "" WINNERS ANNOUNCED ""

<< < (2/14) > >>

christophertsao:
Best Christmas memory:

Christmas 2014 -  I won a random Hot Key from Martin.

or... these:

2006 - Fell off the ladder while putting up Christmas lights. Turned out to be worth the sore rear as I got to sit back and sip hot chocolate while everyone else did the hard work.

1998 - Unwrapped a Toys R Us Limited Edition Nintendo 64 with exclusive Gold Controller plus Mario Cart 64.

2011 - Last Christmas spent with my Grandfather before he passed.

Rainbow_:
My most memorable Christmas moment was when Grandma got run over by a reindeer :(

GenKaan:
Awesome stuff and thanks for posting on reddit :)

Going to spend Christmas with the wifu´s family, going to be peppered with questions about when Im going to learn finnish and how much better the same stuff they enjoy here is in Finland. At least I know there is going to be a ton of food and a happy wifu so its all good. Now snow tho, always feels strange not having snow on Christmas. Really miss it and a cap would really ease my pain

Computer-Lab in Basement:
When I was 5 years old, on Christmas Eve, I could have SWORN I heard the sound of reindeer hooves on the roof. I was super excited, because I KNEW Santa was leaving us presents.

Once I got old enough to know better, I looked back on that memory and decided that it must have been my father on the roof that Christmas Eve, making me believe that it was Santa.

Then about a year ago, I asked my father about this; if he actually was on the roof that Christmas.

He was not.

Which leads me to two possible conclusions:

- My dad was very drunk that Christmas Eve and managed to find his way onto the roof, without falling off and breaking his neck,  and have no memory of doing so.
 - Santa is real.

I still have not decided which one I believe to be true...

MaNiFeX:
There are many great Christmas memories, but the one that sticks out the most is my first Christmas in Knoxville, TN. 

Before my dad established himself at his current employer, he moved around a bit until he found the right company.  That meant by the time I moved to Knoxville at age 8, I had lived in Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Cleveland...  All my parents' family is from Western PA.

Anyway, there were family and friends visiting for our first Christmas night in Knoxville, so my Mom pulled out all the stops.  The cocktails and wine were flowing and her food spread was cornucopias.  Homemade port-wine cheese balls rolled in almonds, nut rolls, dinner rolls, green bean casserole, pineapple casserole, ham, candied yams, and various other dinner-time accouterments were arranged on one side of the table, then the drinks, then the other side, my favorite at the time, was the dessert side of the table.

Oh, man did I have a sweet tooth then.  When I was 8, I really liked chocolate, peanut butter, nougat, creme brulee, custard, anything that was rich.  I had a little to eat, wandered around the party, got bored, then decided I wanted some sweets.  Well, my mom had set out plenty to choose from.  I noticed a dessert that I hadn't seen before, little chocolate balls rolled in cocoa.

I grabbed a couple, and bit into one.  It was so soft and creamy, like a truffle.  The taste was more complex than chocolate alone and not nearly as sweet as I expected.  Regardless, I really liked the chocolate balls.  So I ate like, 8 or 10 of them.

About 10-15 minutes later, I really regretted eating so many chocolate balls.  I started feeling a little light headed and sick, so I sat down.  A moment later, I realized I was going to puke.  To this day, I still don't believe I'm going to really throw up until it's way too late.  You know that feeling you get five minutes before hand that you're gonna hurl, well, I fully deny that feeling until the last 15-30 seconds...  I don't know why I just do.

After sitting down didn't help and the room started to spin, I got up and headed to the kitchen.  I was 8, so I don't remember why I went to the kitchen, but here I am, standing on the linoleum, and...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRFFFFFFF!

Dark brown liquid spews out of my mouth and ****ing covers the kitchen floor with a puddle of what looked like something that came out of my other end.  My mother rushed up to me and put two and two together.

"Did you eat those chocolate balls?"

"Yes...  like, a lot."

"Oh God.  Those were rum balls.  I made them a little strong, too.  How many did you eat?"

"Like, 8 or 9."

I don't remember much after that because I probably passed out drunk.  Ahhhh the Holidays.  Little did I know a few years later, I'd be spending the rest of my Christmases in a similar state.

Merry Chistmas All!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version