Author Topic: R4 Zealio Switch/Zeal60RGB/Zealencio Silencing Clips/Transparent Screw-in Stabs!  (Read 307954 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
I know it's late to post this but I got all of my R4 loot. Came in a really solid box and arrived safely. Awesome work as always  :thumb: ;D

But I need help about lubing switches.

1.) What are the main contact points for lubing both tactile and clicky switches(aristotle stems in this case) without reducing tactility?
2.) I also have Gateron Linear Clears switches w/60g springs which I also plan to lube, is it bad to use the GH V4 Thick lube on these? are the thick lubes only meant for tactile/clicky switches?
3.) My goal for lubing switches is to achieve that buttery smooth feel without losing/reducing tactility and no ping noise from the spring. Really hate those pinging sounds.

Any help and replies would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the questions but this is my first custom keyboard build and I don't want to mess this up.
Thanks  ;D :D

Sorry about late reply, been busy packing away orders.

1) For tactile switches, I recommend lubing pretty much every surface of the stem, except for the tactile legs. Front rectangle above the legs, side rails, back, quick swirl on the pole. Don't forget to lube the switch bottom guiding rails & spring inside and out lightly. There's really no proper guide, as everyone has different tastes when it comes to lubing. You really have to experiment with a few switches to see what you like personally. As for Clicky switches (Zealiostotles), no lube is required. Getting lube in the wrong places will kill / dampen the click.
2) V4 Thick lube might be a bit too thick for linears. You can try experimenting a very thin layer on the stem (same guide as tactiles, but lube the linear legs). See how you like it, and if it feels sluggish or not.
3) If you perform your lube job properly, you'll get a buttery smooth feel and dampened switches.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline itskuroi

I know it's late to post this but I got all of my R4 loot. Came in a really solid box and arrived safely. Awesome work as always  :thumb: ;D

1.) What are the main contact points for lubing both tactile and clicky switches(aristotle stems in this case) without reducing tactility?
2.) I also have Gateron Linear Clears switches w/60g springs which I also plan to lube, is it bad to use the GH V4 Thick lube on these? are the thick lubes only meant for tactile/clicky switches?
3.) My goal for lubing switches is to achieve that buttery smooth feel without losing/reducing tactility and no ping noise from the spring. Really hate those pinging sounds.

Any help and replies would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the questions but this is my first custom keyboard build and I don't want to mess this up.

1) For tactile switches, I recommend lubing pretty much every surface of the stem, except for the tactile legs. Front rectangle above the legs, side rails, back, quick swirl on the pole. Don't forget to lube the switch bottom guiding rails & spring inside and out lightly. There's really no proper guide, as everyone has different tastes when it comes to lubing. You really have to experiment with a few switches to see what you like personally. As for Clicky switches (Zealiostotles), no lube is required. Getting lube in the wrong places will kill / dampen the click.
2) V4 Thick lube might be a bit too thick for linears. You can try experimenting a very thin layer on the stem (same guide as tactiles, but lube the linear legs). See how you like it, and if it feels sluggish or not.
3) If you perform your lube job properly, you'll get a buttery smooth feel and dampened switches.

Used thick lube on Gateron blacks, and couldn't feel any sluggishness, I actually preferred it over thin lube, as it silenced the switch a lot more than I thought it would, and provided me with a fantastic switch!

Offline mll8394

• I regret joining this hobby :/

Thanks! I'll start working on it asap. Loving all of it except for the stabs only because I don't have a board that uses cherry stabs as of now yet lol. Any updates on that weaven GB? Been wanting to buy the slots of the participants that are selling theirs.
"Converting Oxygen into CO2 24/7"

Offline mll8394

• I regret joining this hobby :/

Used thick lube on Gateron blacks, and couldn't feel any sluggishness, I actually preferred it over thin lube, as it silenced the switch a lot more than I thought it would, and provided me with a fantastic switch!

Nice. Might be a nice alternative for silencing switches haha  ;D Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna try this as well. Too bad I don't have a thin lube available for comparison though.  :'(
"Converting Oxygen into CO2 24/7"

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Hey Zeal,

Got my switches and stabs and love them - sorry if you've been asked this 1000x aleady, but when will a R2 for the PCB happen?

Late Jan/early Feb.

Can't wait to get my hands on a zeal 60.

Will the pcb be available in colors besides purple tho Zeal?

While I like purple on the switches since it makes the stems pop, I'm really not a fan of the purple pcb.

Purple pcb can also clash with the color of some cases, and while you don't usually see the pcb my OCD would still go crazy about that.

A second color option like white or black would be awesome.
White pcb with purple prints would actually match the zealio aesthetic perfectly imo =)

Offline hervuli

Has anyone used a clear or frosted acrylic plate with a Zeal60 PCB? Trying to decide whether that would be awesome with the LEDs or too much, without enough differentiation between individual switch LEDs.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Has anyone used a clear or frosted acrylic plate with a Zeal60 PCB? Trying to decide whether that would be awesome with the LEDs or too much, without enough differentiation between individual switch LEDs.

I haven't personally tested it, but I can imagine the whole plate will be diffused if you go with a frosted plate. Just make sure your acrylic has the appropriate clearance for screw in stabilizers if you decide to pick a set up.

Hey Zeal,

Got my switches and stabs and love them - sorry if you've been asked this 1000x aleady, but when will a R2 for the PCB happen?

Late Jan/early Feb.

While I like purple on the switches since it makes the stems pop, I'm really not a fan of the purple pcb.

Purple pcb can also clash with the color of some cases, and while you don't usually see the pcb my OCD would still go crazy about that.

White pcb with purple prints would actually match the zealio aesthetic perfectly imo =)

At this time, there aren't any plans to offer the Zeal60 PCB in any other colour but purple, sorry. :(

I've also just listed a very limited amount of backup Zeal60s as available for retail price. For those that don't want to wait for the R2 Zeal60 shipping schedule.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech

I haven't tried an acrylic plate yet, but I think you will still get the light under the switch being of one color, and the color between switches will be as much a blend between the two as what happens with silver coated plates (or any other plate). Basically an acrylic plate can't change the color of the light coming out of the switch itself.

The lighting effects I wrote are mostly based around gradient blends between colors, so I'm sure it will look good.

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.

I tried finding a clear acrylic plate, but I couldn't find any.  I ended up going plateless instead. I was going to end up making one.

Offline menuhin

More

I haven't personally tested it, but I can imagine the whole plate will be diffused if you go with a frosted plate. Just make sure your acrylic has the appropriate clearance for screw in stabilizers if you decide to pick a set up.

Hey Zeal,

Late Jan/early Feb.

At this time, there aren't any plans to offer the Zeal60 PCB in any other colour but purple, sorry. :(
I've also just listed a very limited amount of backup Zeal60s as available for retail price. For those that don't want to wait for the R2 Zeal60 shipping schedule.

When the R2 schedule will be? Q3 2017?
Will the future revision support split-space bar? e.g. 2.25 + 1.25 + 2.75
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline hervuli

I tried finding a clear acrylic plate, but I couldn't find any.  I ended up going plateless instead. I was going to end up making one.

LeandreN/Mekanisk has both clear and frosted acrylic plates in stock. They are 5mm thick, not sure if they'll be compatible with the screw-in stabs.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend

Swing and a miss, almost got one :)
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
More

Hey Zeal,

Late Jan/early Feb.

When the R2 schedule will be? Q3 2017?
Will the future revision support split-space bar? e.g. 2.25 + 1.25 + 2.75

R2 Zeal60s will be sold along with R5 Zealios around early Feb. Fulfillment estimate is April/May.
Currently no plans on offering split shift for the time being. Will keep it in consideration if anything changes.

Offline breckstar

I used WKL b.face case. I think it turned out nicely.

Offline Aperture_Sci

• ZZ96 / 65g Zealios / GMK Sky Dolch
Hey Zeal,

I just finished my build with the R4 Zeal 67g switches and they are amazing. I also bought a ZZ96 recently and want to use your 65g switches in it. On your site, I see it says R4.5 is GB/ Pre Order.

Is this updated? Are they in stock or is this another group buy? I need about 100 of them.

Offline hervuli

Show Image

That's beautiful! Thanks :)

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Hey Zeal,

I just finished my build with the R4 Zeal 67g switches and they are amazing. I also bought a ZZ96 recently and want to use your 65g switches in it. On your site, I see it says R4.5 is GB/ Pre Order.

Is this updated? Are they in stock or is this another group buy? I need about 100 of them.

It's a pre-order that has extra stock. You can buy in and should receive a shipping notification within a week.

Offline Aperture_Sci

Order in! Can't wait to get those gold led's !! (and 100x zealios :P)

Offline satricion

Is there a particular brand of thin lube that you would recommend on zealios?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Is there a particular brand of thin lube that you would recommend on zealios?

For Zealios, you'd want to pick up thick lube. I personally recommend the GH V4 thick lube sold on my site. Works for tactile switches, stabilizers and springs.

Offline gandroider

Is there any 78g for sale? I've visited zealpc.net but it's already sold out.

When will be the next batch? Thanks

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Pretty much sold out.

Next R5 will happen late January/early February.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 January 2017, 01:53:07 by Zeal »

Offline asgeirtj

Pretty much sold out.

Next R5 will happen late January/early February.

Will R5 be any different from r4?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
No.

Offline tofgerl

Might I suggest a bigger limit on the PCBs though...?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Won't be limited like the initial run.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech

Won't be limited like the initial run.

As a safety precaution to keep Zeal sane, I might veto anything over 1,000 PCBs  ;D

Offline dakisback

How's the PCB firmware coming? Haven't heard much in a little while.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech

The firmware is stable, no immediate need for changes. The future development will be making a GUI-based app to configure keymaps and LED colors.

Offline dakisback

The firmware is stable, no immediate need for changes. The future development will be making a GUI-based app to configure keymaps and LED colors.

It's pretty annoying that we can't tell if caps lock is on...

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech

I CAN TELL WHEN CAPS LOCK IS ON... ALL MY LETTERS COME OUT AS CAPITALS AND THEN I SAY TO MYSELF, SELF, HOW THE HELL DID YOU TURN ON CAPS LOCK, YOU WOULD HAVE HAD TO PRESS SOME COMBO, WAS IT FN + TAB? aww yiss, thanks self, much better *whew* disaster avoided someone on the internet might have thought i was angry and shouting.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech

@dakisback Next release of the firmware will have a "Caps Lock" indicator setting (switch location, color). It will override whatever backlight mode is active.

Offline Aperture_Sci

Hey Zeal,

I put an order in last week Monday and never got a shipping notification - was for 100 gold LED's and 100 65g zealios. Just wanted to confirm they're in stock and will be shipping sometime soon. No rush, just want to make sure I'll get them before the next GB. :P

Offline dakisback

@dakisback Next release of the firmware will have a "Caps Lock" indicator setting (switch location, color). It will override whatever backlight mode is active.

Thanks! Super useful for me as I'm typing in password fields very often working in IT.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Hey Zeal,

I put an order in last week Monday and never got a shipping notification - was for 100 gold LED's and 100 65g zealios. Just wanted to confirm they're in stock and will be shipping sometime soon. No rush, just want to make sure I'll get them before the next GB. :P

Should have label printed today.

Offline leang

Show Image

That's beautiful! Thanks :)

Here's another shot of the Zeal60 in a TEX acrylic case.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 January 2017, 20:25:55 by leang »

Offline kconfire

Hi there,

How much time do I have until I can still be squeezed into the R4 Zealios 65g?
I am about to order (probably) 200-300 of them soon..
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Hi there,

R4 has closed and is done shipping AFAIK. You will have to wait for R5 I believe

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
Zeal60 v0.4 release is available now. Download

- More backlight effects and some fixes to existing ones. Color blending between two colors now uses saturation as well as hue.
- Set all backlight parameters via the .bat file, so you don't need to set them via the keyboard.
- Caps Lock/Fn layer indicators. Make one or all keys change to a color when Caps Lock is on, or you have a Fn layer active.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Any noticeable benefit to lubing zeal gold screw in stabs?   I guess some super lube or zeal v4 couldn't hurt?
keyboards.

Offline leang

- More backlight effects and some fixes to existing ones. Color blending between two colors now uses saturation as well as hue.
- Set all backlight parameters via the .bat file, so you don't need to set them via the keyboard.
- Caps Lock/Fn layer indicators. Make one or all keys change to a color when Caps Lock is on, or you have a Fn layer active.

Oooh, I like the new effects! Especially the potential of FN layer indicators. Are there any places online where people are sharing code for backlight effects?

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
Awesome update!  Looking great!

Offline leang

Hey, Wilba. Trying to modify the new FN layer color indicator, but I can't figure out the syntax. I'm using Capslock as FN1 and trying to toggle it red on press:

Code: [Select]
layer_1_indicator_color=360,100,100 ^
layer_1_indicator_row_col=0,2 ^

But no luck. As far as I can tell, it's following the example in the readme. Any tips?

Offline kconfire

Hi there,

R4 has closed and is done shipping AFAIK. You will have to wait for R5 I believe

Ah, okay. :(
Thought I could order since the website did not say they're out of stock.

Thanks!
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Hi there,

Ah, okay. :(
Thought I could order since the website did not say they're out of stock.

Thanks!

The site has R4.5 inventory in stock right now. Orders placed now will be shipped same day/next day. R5 will be trickling in at the end of the month/early February, but participants in that buy will have to wait until April/May possibly for their orders.

Any noticeable benefit to lubing zeal gold screw in stabs?   I guess some super lube or zeal v4 couldn't hurt?

Lube makes everything better. GH V4 thick lube works great on the inserts/wire pivot point.

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log

Layer color change is why I got the zeal60. Kudos to you guys for making this happen  :thumb:

Offline Mandeor

Hi @all,

1st post, so please be gently  :p

First things first...very BIG kudos to Zeal and Wilba for making this happen!!!
After many keyboards I finally found my "endgame" keyboard. The Zeal60 in combination with Zealio/Zealencios exceeds all my expectations.
I'm even considering to retire my HHKB/Realforce.

So far I'm very pleased with the quality, the fast production and not to forget the constant status updates.

Now some feedback on the firmware. Even with some IT backround I am a bit intimidated to compile my own firmware (for now).
So its a big help for me, that Wilba already made a Windowsversion.
That said, I had some challenges making my layout happen:
1. FN_TT13 & FN_TT23 are not recognized as a known keycode:
   "*** Error: Invalid keycode 'FN_TT13'"

2. Can't define the keys for the indicator leds (all/none switch is working)
   *** Error: Invalid name/value 'caps_lock_indicator_row_col=0,0'

3. I put in the mouse keycodes, but it seems they don't work.

I have some suggestions, which would be nice to have (imho):
- A 2nd color and/or define multiple keys for the layer indicator leds, to highlight numpad etc.
- A ripple light effect
- 2nd Custom Key Colors (one default, one for "gaming")

After all, you made a great product guys.
To be frank, I am happy as a monkey with a peanut machine.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2017, 14:30:56 by Mandeor »

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
Zeal60 v0.5 release is available now. Download

- Fixed bugs in previous release
- Added "zeal60_mousekey.hex" for people that want QMK's "mousekey" functionality

1. FN_TT13 & FN_TT23 are not recognized as a known keycode:
   "*** Error: Invalid keycode 'FN_TT13'"

FN_TT13 and FN_TT23 were in the original prototyping firmware and I stopped using them in favour of TT_MO12 and TT_MO23 (i.e. hold Fn1 and Fn2 to get layer 3). Much more ergo for me, I kept forgetting I had toggled on layer 3 and didn't notice until I typed an "e" ;-) They're now a valid keycode to use with the .bat files.

2. Can't define the keys for the indicator leds (all/none switch is working)
   *** Error: Invalid name/value 'caps_lock_indicator_row_col=0,0'

I made a last minute change in parsing the row/column and forgot to test it, only tested the "all" and "none. Fixed.

3. I put in the mouse keycodes, but it seems they don't work.

I put the mouse keycodes in the tool, but you need QMK firmware to be built with the "mousekey" functionality enabled. I've added "zeal60_mousekey.hex" to the release. I don't really want to enable it by default because it takes quite a bit of extra flash memory and RAM, which I'd rather reserve for future Zeal60 features. So consider this firmware "experimental" for people to try if they want.

I have some suggestions, which would be nice to have (imho):
- A 2nd color and/or define multiple keys for the layer indicator leds, to highlight numpad etc.
- A ripple light effect
- 2nd Custom Key Colors (one default, one for "gaming")

I'll keep these in mind when developing new things.

Unfortunately, a 2nd set of custom key colors is not possible, as there's not enough room in the EEPROM - it's nearly full with the current settings, four keymaps and one set of custom key colors. If you really want two or more sets of custom key colors, use a .bat file for each. You can even run the .bat file before starting a game.

FWIW I am basically pushing the limits of what can be done with an ATMega32U4. Zeal60 was never intended to compete with "gaming keyboards" for visual effects, just be a high quality, open firmware, custom keyboard PCB that let you have configurable LED colors and some basic effects like gradients.

Offline Mandeor

Zeal60 v0.5 release is available now. Download

- Fixed bugs in previous release
- Added "zeal60_mousekey.hex" for people that want QMK's "mousekey" functionality
Wow, that was quick ; )

To be fair, mousekey was only something to fool around with. Now that I tried it, I'm in love with it.  ;D

FN_TT13 and FN_TT23 were in the original prototyping firmware and I stopped using them in favour of TT_MO12 and TT_MO23 (i.e. hold Fn1 and Fn2 to get layer 3). Much more ergo for me, I kept forgetting I had toggled on layer 3 and didn't notice until I typed an "e" ;-) They're now a valid keycode to use with the .bat files.
Works like a charm  :D

FWIW I am basically pushing the limits of what can be done with an ATMega32U4.
That's what I assumed after reading the specs of the controller.

Zeal60 was never intended to compete with "gaming keyboards" for visual effects, just be a high quality, open firmware, custom keyboard PCB that let you have configurable LED colors and some basic effects like gradients.
And you definately definitely delivered on that.

Some things I forgot to mention last night:
- Would it be much trouble to add a num/scroll lock indicator?
- Trible-tap for Layer 1/2?

To make it clear, I am very happy with the board as it is now. Everything else is just the icing on the cake.
Thanks for all the effort you put into this.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 January 2017, 14:43:16 by Mandeor »

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech

Some things I forgot to mention last night:
- Would it be much trouble to add a num/scroll lock indicator?
- Trible-tap for Layer 1/2?

I thought I could save some EEPROM and not bother with numlock/scroll lock since they're hardly ever used.

Triple-tap for Layer 1/2 is easy to add. I assume you mean do the same thing as FN_TT13, hold for layer 1, triple-tap to toggle layer 2.
I'll add FN_TT12 next release.

FWIW it's easy to add more "stateless" features, like special key combos etc. Adding features that use stored "state" will take up limited EEPROM memory. There's only 1K of it and it's nearly full! I need to leave enough room for Zeal65, which has another 5 keys per keymap, 5 LEDs for the custom LED colors!