Author Topic: [IC] R2 SPACE65 - CyberVoyager (Livestream this Friday 7pm ET)  (Read 114504 times)

Offline AIRPOTTER

• Owner of Gray Studio
Hello my keeb friends, Our Instagram:Gray Studio

3/28/2020: Gray Studio is planning to start a GB for the R2 Space65:CyberVoyager. And we are collecting your preference for color options we should be offering. Please kindly fill out the poll form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ApyybP3qNrx9YYbfnsuI7WUfqxo4KOZRGYuI-CtYk8Q/viewform
Results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TreWRdQ7ZhjxN3yz4FjzBekXPmTBu0XTy25sNW217_M/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you very much. The detailed color combo images can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/qYCEaWH

3/30/3030: Great News! Alexotos will be doing a live stream building a CyberVoyager! Tune into his channel, it will be fun!

His stream is https://www.twitch.tv/alexotos_live, The time of the stream is around 7 - 7:30 pm EST this Friday (April 3, 2020).

The GB will start soon after the live stream!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are very excited that the R1 Space65 has been very well received.
Since keyboard was sent out, we have received a lot of positive feedback, which prompted us to further improve the keyboard and make a sequel.
At the same time, I would like to express my sincere apology and gratitude for early buyers, as the anodization is good but not perfect.
We are trying to improve the process and we appreciate your understanding.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motivation for the Sequel: Cyberpunk

The word ‘Cyber’ comes from the cybernetics theory and sciences.
In 1948, Robert Wiener coined this word to define the control theory, with a focus on how animals and machinery control and communicate each other, including the synergy of human brain and machines.
Therefore, Cyberpunk typically comes with a touch of sci-fi feel in the popular culture.

I got to know the Cyberpunk culture from the  the science fiction True Names by Vernor Vinge.
The book depicted a future world wherein individuals use virtual identities to control real world resources and fight each other.
After this novel, I got to know more hardcore Cyberpunk works, such as Neuromancer(The best cyberpunk science fiction in my heart), Bladerunner, the Matrix, etc.

The Cyberpunk pop culture also influenced my designs, as it is a unique type of visual effects.

Typically, a cool-toned background comes with a high contrast and high situation warm subject, which creates a strong contract effect and leaves people ample room to imagine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming back to the Sequel to Space65: CyberVoyager

I have always regretted that Space65 V1 was not perfect enough, and therefore I want to create something based on V1, but sufficiently different so that it is a refreshing design.

Therefore, What I did was to modify some external design as well as structural (internal) design.

More specifically, in the upper left corner where the light stripe was, I added a replaceable badge to make the design smoother. And I kept the left-side light stripe.

In the back of the board, I designed a weight that comprise two parts seamlessly combines to create an effect that I am very pleased with.

In the upper right corner, I designed a brass badge, which I will use a special surface patina treatment.

For the plate, I will continue to use carbon fiber as the material (there are some good videos on Youtube), and people have been happy with the typing feel and sound.
In addition, I plan to add a vibration reduction pad in between the PCB and the plate to further enhance the typing experience.

And under the PCB, I also plan to include a noise reduction pad, even though there is really no issue of echoing with the R1 Space65.

We will also be upgrading the accessories, such as the silicon pad under the board and a custom made screwdriver.

In terms of pricing, I can say that they will be a bit more expensive (but not by a lot) than the R1 Space65, given many factories were shut down now, and also the cost to produce this will be much higher given upgraded materials and the weight, etc.

And most importantly, if you joined R1 Space65, Think6.5 or a prior GrayStudio Group Buy, and would like to buy CyberVoyager, we will offer a return-customer discount.
We have perfected the anodization process, and this time the anodization will be in line or better than Think6.5 quality anodization (many people have praised the quality of Think6.5).

If there are any suggestions or questions, please let us know!

[Key Features]
Mounting Method: Top mount
Layout:

Angle: 5 Degree
PCB: Type-C(Support C-C),QMK,ESD-protected
Case color:
Anodized :black, grey,silver,dark blue, red, EVA(purple,green)
E-color:white,yellow

Plate :
Carbon fiber plate
Aluminum plate(Color options are consistent with case)

[Quick Q&A]

Q:Led of PCB?
A:Demos upgrades the PCB scheme of cybervoyager, adds ESD-protected and a protection capacitor.

Q:About C-C?
A:For sopport iMac, added C-C function.

Q:Will have hotswap?
A:Sorry,geeks,hotswap PCB will not appear, because space65 was originally designed to be compatible more layout.

Q:Bluetooth PCB?
A:Sorry,guys,also not appear. But I designed a battery slot. In the later stage, Demos will complete the design of Bluetooth PCB as an extra.

Q:Production cycle?
A:3-5 months,and the progress will be updated in GH at least twice a week on Monday and Thursday.

Q:Prototype testing?
A:Some prototypes have been sent out for evaluation, and will be updated for unpacking, assembly, and sound testing.

Q:Color matching?
A:Because Cybervoayger are too many accessories this time, we are struggling with the color of our own choice or the color matching of fixed collocation.

Q:Extra?

A:Weight, BADGE,plate(Al&Cf), PCB will be open for extra( PCB  will have a price discount.)

The Gray Studio Team

More renders:

Update Cyvervoyager's PCB (express delivery is one day slower than usual :()

Thks Demos  adds ESD  and a  capacitor to protect the LED light.

Update some prototypes photos(Black Warrior)

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 15:22:51 by AIRPOTTER »

Offline itunesacc

Re: 【IC】65%Keyboard SPACE65:Cybervoyager
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:08:08 »
Nice board!
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 April 2020, 02:49:57 by itunesacc »

Offline Beerbezerker

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:13:08 »
Love it!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:13:59 »
I have space65 r1, think 6.5 which were extra drop on graystudio official website.
So, i can get discount too?
I'm a pretty awesome guy. I'll take free board too!

Offline SantiGo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:14:16 »
How much?

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:22:23 »
The Space65 is by far my favourite board in my possession, so it's nice to see the design being taken somewhere new - the refresh has grown on me since I first saw it.

However, I do have some concerns regarding fulfilment, as the last two Gray Studio GBs were far from a smooth ride. Hopefully this can be improved.

I will wait for details regarding price before making my judgement - presumably the "noise reduction pad" won't be required to use? My Space65 sounds great without any dampening.

Two minor complaints regarding the design:

1) Screws covered by feet. This is essentially an anti-feature, and is one of the very few complaints I have regarding this board. Two of the feet appear to have been adjusted from R1 to uncover screws, but there are still two covered.

2) Plate mounting. The plate still appears to only mount on three sides, which caused issues with rattle for some people. I personally had no issues as I only used the side mounts with a CF plate, but perhaps this could be something that could be improved.

I should also note that the lack of ESD protection on R1's PCB led to quite a few complaints of RGB LEDs burning out after shorts, which is a shame considering how integral to the design the lighting is.

Offline zakatak

• no cash
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:23:35 »
Will there be polycarbonate option and when do you plan to run it

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:39:43 »
Can't wait. Hoping a neon Green color is available!

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline crispgm

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:40:42 »
This is great and I am waiting for the GB. May I ask what colors do you guys offers?

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:46:19 »
Great looking board.  I take it ISO is an option?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:48:45 »
Great looking board.  I take it ISO is an option?

Assuming the PCB and plate support the same compat as R1, it'll support ISO:

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:59:27 »
yay! space65 was one my favorite design ever.
for now, just wondering about timeline + available color (hopefully you'd allow different combination instead of fixed combination)
while for concerns, it's been raised by others: covered feet and ESD protection.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 07:19:10 »
I have space65 r1, think 6.5 which were extra drop on graystudio official website.
So, i can get discount too?
I'm a pretty awesome guy. I'll take free board too!
I'm poor, so I get one for free right?

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 07:19:56 »
I missed out on r1, hope to get this this time

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline Bmore_Bandit

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 07:36:25 »
Just like many, missed out on the first GB so I will be following this one closely. Very interested!

Offline Agpatel

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 07:42:25 »
Yep...I have two Space65 (one at work and one at home) and this will be a 100% buy for me!

Offline beekey

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 07:44:09 »
How about the people you promised in R1 to send replacements for faulty parts (like brass plates)? You promised multiple times to send replacements but failed so far.

I would be very careful in buying anything from them. Good at taking your money, but very bad with support when shipping faulty products. 

Case is nice, but if something goes wrong, you are on your own.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2020, 07:46:59 by beekey »

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 07:56:36 »
Nice, was in Think6.5 GB so a discount would be nice =)  Looking forward to this!

Offline KiwiAhhhh

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 07:59:44 »
Really coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool :p :p :p :p :p :p

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 08:40:09 »
Nice design. I like the original Space65 top better, though, due to the inset and the icons, which makes it instantly recognizable.

Offline Top Right Logo

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 08:41:47 »
The teasers have been killing me. Can't wait for the final details!

Offline hkiri

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 08:49:32 »
I'm definitely interested but in the end it depends on the time of the GB and the price of the board.
This year so far is really strong regarding GBs.

Offline BobbyJackT

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 08:51:59 »
This board is looking really good, thinking this will be good for the Laseron switches and Laser SA set I just picked up recently. Totally fits the Cyberpunk vibe.

Offline hiisdesign

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 08:54:22 »
I am in

Offline osirus35

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 09:10:55 »
I have been following the instagram for a while now and every render you release it keeps on getting better and better. I am definitely in on one. Are you considering any changes to the PCB like hotswap or per key RGB?

Offline ramensan

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 09:17:29 »
Superbly interested,will wait for more details

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 09:28:02 »
How much was R1? And was the turnaround - From GB till delivered?
Just trying to see if I would take part...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline shenan97

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 09:37:22 »
I missed out on the first, definitely will be grabbing this one, I've always been drooling over the space65

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 10:29:50 »
How much was R1? And was the turnaround - From GB till delivered?
Just trying to see if I would take part...

R1:
- Base Kit  $225 (excluding 5% PayPal fees and shipping via SF Express.)
- Add PCB  $40
- Add Badge ( Anodized Aluminum)  $15
- Add Badge (Brass)  $20
- Badge collector   $52 for 4 pcs(With default nameplate,you will have five colors of aluminum Badge)
- Add Carbon fibre plate $25
- Add Aluminum plate $25
- Add Brass plate $35

GB happened beginning of January, shipped out to most in July.

Offline Raravin

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 10:32:01 »
I will for sure be keeping an eye on this I need a new 65

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 11:04:55 »
Cyber Punk!

Offline Walkerstop

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 11:16:04 »
This looks really nice.  I have a space65 and it's probably the nicest sounding keyboard I've built so far.

I will echo what others are asking though:  are you doing anything differently in R2 to address the higher-than-usual rate of LED failure?

Do you know what caused LED failures in R1?  What changes in R2 will prevent the same from happening again?

Offline batdog

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 11:59:26 »
This is a new addiction of mine (God help me). Love the look of Space65 r1. Definitely interested!

Offline sl4ppy

Re: [IC] 65%Keyboard SPACE65:Cybervoyager
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 12:06:12 »
Sure.  In.

Offline McMack04

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 12:19:40 »
As someone with unhealthy obsession with back lit boards I really hope there is a Per Key Lighting option. If a Per Key RGB/Lighting option is included I am will to sell my kidney(s)?

Offline ff45000

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 14:42:45 »
As someone with an r1 S P A C C, I'd buy this in a second. As someone with an r1 board that has zero working LEDs from ESD, yes on ESD protection please please please. Good thing I bought spare pcbs.

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 15:24:17 »
All of this mention of issues with the board or the buying process are a bit concerning. Count me in as interested as I love the design, but could OP please address how all of this is being resolved? I like Neuromancer too, but need details of the board rather than its inspiration :P
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline MontePythons

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 15:33:20 »
Will this be a 5 degree typing angle again? Would love to see 7+, the typing angle is the only reason I usually don't use my R1, but honestly will probably get this board regardless.

Offline Arkells

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 17:07:08 »
I'm definitely in for one. Please make a hotswap pcb

Offline WhiteDeath

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 17:11:13 »
The Think 6.5 was my first GB. Gray and Oldcat put a quality product out. I’d like to get on board this one as well. Any idea when the GB will start ??

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 17:36:09 »
can you kindly please highlight the mounting system (top mount, sandwhich etc...)
and will the PCB have ESD protection?

Offline fooddoof

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 18:28:19 »
+1 for 7 degree typing angle (but I'll probably join regardless ha). Looks sick!!

Offline julianlamme

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 18:31:13 »
I don’t need another space65 but I sure as hell want one now  ;D

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 18:49:15 »
Definitely getting in on this if I can! Love my R1's.

Offline breckstar

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 19:02:31 »
Will this be a 5 degree typing angle again? Would love to see 7+, the typing angle is the only reason I usually don't use my R1, but honestly will probably get this board regardless.

+1 for 7 degree typing angle (but I'll probably join regardless ha). Looks sick!!
Hope it stays 5 degree. Too much 7-8 degree in the market right now.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 19:47:43 »
Nice refresh! I'll probably pass on this round unless a polycarb case and bluetooth pcb are options  :thumb:

Offline Oni74

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 20:07:41 »
I <3 my R1 and will join for R2!

@Airpotter, Is R2 case compatible with R1 PCB and plate?

Offline Loges

• none
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 20:08:27 »
Sign me up

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Sm0keWag0n

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 21:33:34 »
I <3 my R1 and will join for R2!

@Airpotter, Is R2 case compatible with R1 PCB and plate?

I want to know the opposite. I'm hoping for an ESD-protected, USB-C>USB-C functional R2 PCB that is compatible with R1 cases. I love everything about my R1 except for the PCB.

Offline deathwalker113

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 22:58:01 »
Can't miss this one !