Author Topic: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Shipped)  (Read 1067925 times)

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (84 COLORS & ALPINE WINTER SUPPORT AVAILABLE)
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 18:09:51 »
I won't have the money by the 7th. :sadpanda:

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (84 COLORS & ALPINE WINTER SUPPORT AVAILABLE)
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:04:54 »
PCB Update!

I've been busy with the TK78-R PCB lately and hadn't had a chance to wrap this up yet. Last night and this morning I wrapped up the last of the underlighting support. Now when you build your board you can decide which of the LED lighting options you want. Here's the perfect section of the board to demonstrate this:

In the center there are 2 headers, a 4 pin and a 3 pin. The 4 pin header on the left comes from the MCU, and provides VCC, GND, and the two PWM pins that we had left over after routing the matrix. If you don't want any lighting at all but you want to add some other hardware (maybe bluetooth?) you can do that there. The 3 pin header on the right goes to Underlighting, CapsLock and Clear. You can connect these in any of several ways:

• Always on Underlighting with both status LED's: VCC->UNDERLIGHT, C6->RLCAPSLOCK, B6->RLCLEAR
  • Controllable Underlighting with 1 capslock LED: B6->UNDERLIGHT, C6->RLCAPSLOCK
  • Controllable Underlighting only: C6->UNDERLIGHT
  • Status LED's only: C6->RLCAPSLOCK, B6->RLCLEAR

(There are more possibilities, but those seem like the most common use cases.)

If you want to use underlighting you will have to add the components yourself:

• 16 SMD LED's (Pads support anything from 0805 to 1210)
  • 16 0805 SMD Resistors matched to your LEDs
  • 1 SOT23 SMD N-Channel MOSFET (example)
  • 1 0805 SMD 10k Resistor

You can omit the MOSFET and jumper the two header pins instead if you will be connecting directly to VCC. Do not populate the MOSFET if you bridge the header pins there!

Next on my list is to spend time trying to reduce costs for the PCB. I've been talking to koalapear about how we can make this happen at a lower MOQ, and I hope to have good news on that front soon!

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 14:37:11 »
Wow that's amazing! :)

Offline Delirious

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 14:48:55 »
PCB Update!

I've been busy with the TK78-R PCB lately and hadn't had a chance to wrap this up yet. Last night and this morning I wrapped up the last of the underlighting support. Now when you build your board you can decide which of the LED lighting options you want. Here's the perfect section of the board to demonstrate this:

Show Image

In the center there are 2 headers, a 4 pin and a 3 pin. The 4 pin header on the left comes from the MCU, and provides VCC, GND, and the two PWM pins that we had left over after routing the matrix. If you don't want any lighting at all but you want to add some other hardware (maybe bluetooth?) you can do that there. The 3 pin header on the right goes to Underlighting, CapsLock and Clear. You can connect these in any of several ways:

• Always on Underlighting with both status LED's: VCC->UNDERLIGHT, C6->RLCAPSLOCK, B6->RLCLEAR
  • Controllable Underlighting with 1 capslock LED: B6->UNDERLIGHT, C6->RLCAPSLOCK
  • Controllable Underlighting only: C6->UNDERLIGHT
  • Status LED's only: C6->RLCAPSLOCK, B6->RLCLEAR

(There are more possibilities, but those seem like the most common use cases.)

If you want to use underlighting you will have to add the components yourself:

• 16 SMD LED's (Pads support anything from 0805 to 1210)
  • 16 0805 SMD Resistors matched to your LEDs
  • 1 SOT23 SMD N-Channel MOSFET (example)
  • 1 0805 SMD 10k Resistor

You can omit the MOSFET and jumper the two header pins instead if you will be connecting directly to VCC. Do not populate the MOSFET if you bridge the header pins there!

Next on my list is to spend time trying to reduce costs for the PCB. I've been talking to koalapear about how we can make this happen at a lower MOQ, and I hope to have good news on that front soon!

Much kudo to you and koalapear for doing this. Since there are only 3 days left for this groupbuy, would you be considering extending the deadline date to have more time perfecting it?

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:31:32 »
Much kudo to you and koalapear for doing this. Since there are only 3 days left for this groupbuy, would you be considering extending the deadline date to have more time perfecting it?

I think I just finished perfecting it. ;)

In all seriousness, is there anything else you think needs to be done? I've published the design files for the monarch:

https://github.com/skullydazed/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/keyboard/monarch/doc

If you don't have EAGLE you can look at the PNG files to see the schematic and each layer. I hope someone will be able to look it over for mistakes, I don't think there are any but that's usually when a really bad one is found.  :p

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 20:56:01 »
Okay guys, here's a little update. I spoke to my uncle and it's looking promising that we can make this work at the current price for the current number of orders (15 as of now) thanks to the now lower laser cutting cost. skullydazed is currently exploring options to lower the production cost of the PCB. No promises, but we are far from canceling at this point. I'll keep you guys updated  :thumb:
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 20:58:36 »
This is awesome news!!

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline theginginator

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 21:06:55 »
MY BODY IS READY AND MY WALLET... well we don't need to talk about that...  :))

Offline Butter

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 21:31:03 »
MY BODY IS READY AND MY WALLET... well we don't need to talk about that...  :))

The wallet is never ready when you get suck into the mechanical keyboard hobby  :'(

Offline Pikly

« Reply #209 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 22:29:21 »
This is great news. I am still willing to order a few extra kits if it is necessary. And judging by the number of posts from people not able to participate due to current circumstances, I just might anyway. For anyone in that boat, let me know your color preferences so I can choose finishes; there are way too many combinations for me to pick (I stuck with Cobalt from the original 3 choices).

Thanks koalapear for all the work you put into this!

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 06:37:34 »
Well no way am I backing out of this. The hard work you guys are putting into this is really appreciated.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 23:24:51 »
ALRIGHT

Alright alright alright....

I can't say no anymore

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I won't ever have my very own Monarch.

There's no stopping this hype train.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 23:36:52 »
17 orders and counting!  ;D
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline E3E

« Reply #213 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 01:08:23 »
This is great news. I am still willing to order a few extra kits if it is necessary. And judging by the number of posts from people not able to participate due to current circumstances, I just might anyway. For anyone in that boat, let me know your color preferences so I can choose finishes; there are way too many combinations for me to pick (I stuck with Cobalt from the original 3 choices).

Thanks koalapear for all the work you put into this!

This has to be one of the most stand-up things you could do, man! Seriously, to go out of your way to buy extras for people like that, down to even getting the exact scheme they want is really really nice of you! Really, I'm floored by the generosity. I only worry about people rushing to you for an order and then dropping or flaking out later on when the time comes to pay for it. I mean, it can always be sold off, but to go to the trouble of picking specific colors just to walk out on it would be TERRIBLY lame.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #214 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 01:21:10 »
I need to order some matias switches now that the under-lighting has been perfected. Light bleed FTW

Offline Jersern

« Reply #215 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 04:57:02 »
I need to order some matias switches now that the under-lighting has been perfected. Light bleed FTW

I wonder how Matias clicks feel in comparison to salmons.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #216 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 05:53:53 »
ALRIGHT

Alright alright alright....

I can't say no anymore

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I won't ever have my very own Monarch.

There's no stopping this hype train.
Choo choo!!!

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Pikly

« Reply #217 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 11:53:28 »
This has to be one of the most stand-up things you could do, man! Seriously, to go out of your way to buy extras for people like that, down to even getting the exact scheme they want is really really nice of you! Really, I'm floored by the generosity. I only worry about people rushing to you for an order and then dropping or flaking out later on when the time comes to pay for it. I mean, it can always be sold off, but to go to the trouble of picking specific colors just to walk out on it would be TERRIBLY lame.

Thanks! I figure I have the funds, and it means more orders for koalapear, why not help some people out at the same time?

I went ahead and ordered another one, Mil Spec Green; will be using parts from this beauty: http://imgur.com/a/uaRMm. Current plan is to have one at home and one at work, or possibly sell the Cobalt one built from my AEKII. I'm still down for ordering another one if I get a color request, but I believe the buy should go through now given koalapear's update.

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
« Reply #218 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 13:13:37 »
As a casual onlooker this project appears to be moving along nicely. I hope everything goes well for all parties involved.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #219 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:28:52 »

I wonder how Matias clicks feel in comparison to salmons.

I can only speak for Matias quiet click because I own the mini quiet pro. Comparing between Mini quiet pro and AEK II, the Quiet Pro's tactility is snappier and shorter compare to AEK II. I feel that the AEK II has softer downstroke and less pronounced upstroke, this is probably due to the fact that the tactility is shorter on Quiet Pro.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #220 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 17:26:47 »
I can only speak for Matias quiet click because I own the mini quiet pro. Comparing between Mini quiet pro and AEK II, the Quiet Pro's tactility is snappier and shorter compare to AEK II. I feel that the AEK II has softer downstroke and less pronounced upstroke, this is probably due to the fact that the tactility is shorter on Quiet Pro.

Maybe I should order some Matias clicks then....

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #221 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 18:26:43 »

Thanks! I figure I have the funds, and it means more orders for koalapear, why not help some people out at the same time?

I went ahead and ordered another one, Mil Spec Green; will be using parts from this beauty: http://imgur.com/a/uaRMm. Current plan is to have one at home and one at work, or possibly sell the Cobalt one built from my AEKII. I'm still down for ordering another one if I get a color request, but I believe the buy should go through now given koalapear's update.

I really very much appreciate the support!  :thumb:

That's a very interesting board that I did not know existed! Great to know that there are other cap options out there for the Monarch! Might pick one up myself!  ;D

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Orders Closed)
« Reply #222 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 01:44:12 »
Orders Closed:

Alright, that's all folks! Well actually it's just the beginning, but orders are now closed! We ended up at 18 orders in total which means only 20 Monarchs will be produced (once you count my personal board and skullydazed's board he's getting for all his hard work on the PCB design). So all of you that ordered will be super special!  :p

I will begin invoicing shortly and will try to have all of them sent out before the end of the week, most likely will be in the next couple days. Speaking of invoicing, I am a little worried about the possibility of PayPal freezing my account once I start getting payments in. To help combat this potential issue I ask that you all pay your invoice as a SERVICE rather than goods! This will hopefully mean that PayPal can't hold the funds until they see proof of delivery. To be completely honest, I'm not sure exactly how paying as a service works as I've never done it myself so if anyone can shed some more light on this process please do!

I've decided to just invoice normally. Worst case is I pay out of pocket.

I've also worked out the shipping prices:

CONUS: $22

INT'L: $37

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 November 2015, 17:04:27 by koalapear »

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 02:14:20 »
I'm sad that in the end I couldn't join in, but really happy that your buy was able to go through without reaching the 25 buyers! Congrats koalapear :thumb:

Now I'm excited to see all 20 boards and what colors they got!  :eek:

Offline Jersern

« Reply #224 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 04:32:03 »
ask that you all pay your invoice as a SERVICE rather than goods

Does Paypal have that option? I'm pretty sure last time I used itto pay someone (which was a while back), the option is Goods and Services. Not goods or services as separate options. Though happy to pay whatever way makes our lives easiest.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #225 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 05:40:23 »
I think you have to create the invoice as a service instead of goods.

My boards:
More

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #226 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 06:02:04 »
Oh God. Nearly had a heart attack when, for a split second,  I thought I hadn't ordered. :) Here's hoping for a smooth group buy.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 16:49:04 »

Does Paypal have that option? I'm pretty sure last time I used itto pay someone (which was a while back), the option is Goods and Services. Not goods or services as separate options. Though happy to pay whatever way makes our lives easiest.

I'm basing this off of this post: http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/how-to-collect-money-with-paypal-and-avoid-problems-t7312.html
Based on that the person receiving the invoice has to pay it as a service, whatever that means. I looked at the PayPal invoice and I don't see a way of creating a "service" invoice.

If this ends up being too much trouble then I'll just forget about it and try to transfer the money out of PayPal before they can freeze it.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #228 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 17:06:02 »
Just disregard the paying as service and whatnot. I'm going to just invoice normally and worst case is I pay the vendors out of pocket until PayPal releases the funds if it comes to that, which it likely won't!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #229 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 17:44:34 »
$250 x 18 = $4,500. That probably won't raise any flags.

My boards:
More

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #230 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 17:50:31 »
$250 x 18 = $4,500. That probably won't raise any flags.

Hopefully not! You never know with PayPal though.  :p

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #231 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 17:54:39 »

I'm basing this off of this post: http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/how-to-collect-money-with-paypal-and-avoid-problems-t7312.html
Based on that the person receiving the invoice has to pay it as a service, whatever that means. I looked at the PayPal invoice and I don't see a way of creating a "service" invoice.

If this ends up being too much trouble then I'll just forget about it and try to transfer the money out of PayPal before they can freeze it
I just paid for Round 5a and had trouble paying as a service--it turns out that I had to switch to the "classic" site (as opposed to the mobile/tablet-friendly site they serve up by default) to be able to select that option. Once I did, I was able to specify that it was a service and that shipping was not required. HTH. (edit, 5*a*)
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 November 2015, 18:02:31 by atectatifern »

Offline Jersern

« Reply #232 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 18:38:37 »
Right yeah, the classic site had a lot more options so it makes sense.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 12:33:02 »
All invoices have been sent out! Please let me know if I screwed anything up (which would not be surprising)! :p

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 12:59:54 »
All invoices have been sent out! Please let me know if I screwed anything up (which would not be surprising)! :p
Invoice paid! Hopefully I didn't screw anything up on that, I'm still somewhat new to the whole PayPal thing... Now I need to go find a board with Blue SKCM switches... I've been looking on and off for the last couple of months... I may have to settle for matias quiet clicks, or something like that.

Offline petrock

Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Invoicing Complete, Awaiting Payment)
« Reply #235 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:24:09 »
I'll pay my invoice for the PCB later tonight. I'm pretty excited now that I am going to have to design the case for this! I am just hoping I don't **** it up too much!

I know its early but any idea what the ship date would be? I am going to be out of the country in December and want to make sure it will arrive while I am around.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:32:22 by petrock »

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:33:47 »
I'll pay my invoice for the PCB later tonight. I'm pretty excited now that I am going to have to design the case for this! I am just hoping I don't **** it up too much!

I know its early but any idea what the ship date would be? I am going to be out of the country in December and want to make sure it will arrive while I am around.

The production PCBs probably won't be done until mid-late December.

Offline petrock

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:58:54 »
The production PCBs probably won't be done until mid-late December.

Perfect! I can't wait!

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #238 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:32:29 »
It's all paid with just enough money left for a 24 pack of ramen...

I kid I kid

...maybe...

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 22:08:46 »
I paid! Oh God I paid! Please please let this thing be as good as I hope.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 22:13:08 »
Seriously. By the time I add keycaps and switches, this will probably be my most expensive board. Especially if I pick up a blue Alps board like I'm hoping to do.

My boards:
More

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 22:17:25 »
Seriously. By the time I add keycaps and switches, this will probably be my most expensive board. Especially if I pick up a blue Alps board like I'm hoping to do.

Yeah it is already my most costly keyboard. I don't exactly have a bunch of boards, but it's not for lack of trying; I'm looking at you GH60 and TX1800. I feel bad even mentioning those two in this thread.

On a more positive note, I just got a donor board for switches today and will check it out once I get home.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 11:22:47 »
koalapear what is the weight of your current Monarch? I like my board heavy.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 12:51:17 »
koalapear what is the weight of your current Monarch? I like my board heavy.

The completed proto weighs 1lb 13.8oz which isn't the heaviest but it feels plenty sturdy!  :thumb:

Offline Jersern

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 00:12:51 »
Just paid! Can't wait to get my hands on the board :)

Offline NoblesseOblige

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 09:22:55 »
Sorry I didn't pay sooner, somebody (me) forgot to renew our work Google domain, so I wasn't getting e-mails for the last 48 hours it took them to reactivate us. I should be all set now, let me know if for some reason it doesn't transact.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #246 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:45:13 »
Hey guys, sorry for not updating in a while. I have received payment for all but one order so I will be moving ahead with production. Skullydazed has sent off the PCB designs to the fabricator and we are waiting to hear back from them. I'd like to get some PCBs in my hands to make sure they will work with the case design before I start production on the cases. Although, if the PCB production takes too long I'll probably just quadruple check all of the measurements and start production of the cases!   :thumb:

Offline Jersern

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:56:20 »
Sounds good. Can't wait to see the final product!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #248 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 18:11:36 »
I'm so psyched this is happening.

What is everyone planning as far as LEDs? The PCB has a lot of options. I'm planning on full under-lighting (probably white), not sure yet what I'm going to do about indicators.

My boards:
More

Offline theginginator

« Reply #249 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 19:04:20 »
Im going with a orange under glow with my orange plates.  :cool: How im going to do it is another story haha