Author Topic: [IC] "The Matrix" GMK keycap set  (Read 57104 times)

Offline Special K

Re: [IC] "The Matrix" GMK keycap set
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 11:46:11 »
I need to supply a vector graphics file with katakana characters in order for an artist to create renders.  A brief Google search reveals this page with lots of different font choices:

https://www.vecteezy.com/free-vector/katakana

Would any of these look OK, or does someone have a better recommendation?  Is there a "preferred" source that other sets with secondary legends have used?  I realize that not all of these are free.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 13:56:23 »
I need to supply a vector graphics file with katakana characters in order for an artist to create renders.  A brief Google search reveals this page with lots of different font choices:

Would any of these look OK, or does someone have a better recommendation?  Is there a "preferred" source that other sets with secondary legends have used?  I realize that not all of these are free.

It's going to be very expensive to pay for the artist and for the new gmk molds. This assuming that gmk is willing to invest in new molds, which require a serious commitment on their part, more serious than the money that we pay them.

Offline dimo

[IC] "The Matrix" GMK keycap set
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 13:59:20 »

This set needs to be very popular if you want to pull of new legends for all the alphas.

GMK space cadet and laser are the only ones which will and have successfully do this and those are some of the most hyped up sets in the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 July 2018, 16:14:33 by dimo »

Offline pvd

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 16:13:53 »

This set needs to be INSANELY popular if you want to pull of new legends for all the alphas.

GMK space cadet and laser are the only ones which will and have successfully do this and those are some of the most hyped up sets in the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think this is true. GMK Burgundy had a MOQ of 100 for Hangul alphas (which required new molds, but didn’t include a num row).

If the katakana alphas are part of the base set (which is the obvious decision) then the set may be more expensive than normal but there’s no reason to think it will be absurdly priced or require an absurd MOQ.

Offline Special K

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 17:24:35 »

It's going to be very expensive to pay for the artist and for the new gmk molds. This assuming that gmk is willing to invest in new molds, which require a serious commitment on their part, more serious than the money that we pay them.

The cost of the renders is not an issue provided I can supply a proper vector graphics file.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 17:34:55 »
I don't know... You're trying to reach perfect fidelity in an aspect that 99.9999% of people can't even recognize after an explanation. Seem like another Eclipse to me.

Offline Special K

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 12:32:27 »
I've noticed that there are now multiple sets that feature Katakana sublegends.  Example (GMK Fuji): https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111695.new#new

That said, would anyone be interested in this set given that Katakana sublegend molds already exist?  The primary critique against this set when I first proposed it was the cost of the then non-existent Katakana sublegends.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

Offline Raptor_N60

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 15:44:19 »
I've noticed that there are now multiple sets that feature Katakana sublegends.  Example (GMK Fuji): https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111695.new#new

That said, would anyone be interested in this set given that Katakana sublegend molds already exist?  The primary critique against this set when I first proposed it was the cost of the then non-existent Katakana sublegends.

You might need to reconsider the current taste of the market, and the level of polish ic posts are required to have.

IMO it is a good idea to overhaul the ic, make some changes, more renders, and post it again.

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #158 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 16:17:38 »
Looking forward to a new IC for a Matrix-inspired set swiftly followed by a denial that it has anything to do with The Matrix…! ;D

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 18:43:01 »

First off, wow this is an old IC from 2016. Community was sure much nicer and less stringent when it came to interest checking concepts.

A good Matrix themed keycap set will always be appreciated, however it's going to be hard to properly evaluate this set's potential without some new renders, because your current ones do an incredible disservice to what it could look like.
Note that KAT Cyberspace was a pretty popular set that ran that had some Matrix-ish vibes. Albeit that was in KAT profile, with glow in the dark legends, and PBT Dyesub.
Given GMK's recent tightening of IP rules, you're going to have be a bit more careful too.
Note that there's always the potential of ePBT or IFK or Geekark as manufacturers when it comes to cherry profile albeit they're PBT dyesubbed legends, not ABS doubleshot.

If you really want to give this idea the best platform of revival of interest in 2021, I second the above comment that a revamped IC with new polished renders and kits is sort of expected community standard, or most people will just ignore this set. Even then with polished renders and kits, people are ruthless in when criticising a set...
Anyways, as is, I don't like the green mods, and I would like to see some novelties and better renders to tie it all together.
Best of luck if you revive this IC!