Author Topic: Glitter key caps for Model M?  (Read 6793 times)

Offline MajorYikes

Glitter key caps for Model M?
« on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 07:31:56 »
I bought 6 model M keyboards last week locally for $5 each.

A lot of them are discolored and it’s cleaned up some but we all know how that goes.

2 of them, however, have key caps that are glittery/shiny for lack of a better term. It’s not painted on, they look super natural. Has anyone seen this? This one has one-piece keycaps. I can post pics later.

222812-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 July 2019, 09:27:36 by MajorYikes »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Glitter key caps for Model M?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 22:09:54 »
A photo would be great.

I've seen a few custom keycaps for a Model M, including some that were flocked.

Also multi-coloured and lots of custom legends.

But none with glitter so far.

Mind you, there are a few artisans around here making custom Model M keycaps, and there's nothing to stop htem from using a resin with glitter suspended in it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2019, 22:15:30 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MajorYikes

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 17:25:52 »
Here’s some photos. They don’t really do it justice since all I have is my iPhone to shoot pictures. But they are indeed gold flakes. A shame so many are discolored.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 17:49:59 »
Here’s some photos. They don’t really do it justice since all I have is my iPhone to shoot pictures. But they are indeed gold flakes. A shame so many are discolored.

Out of the 10 or so ive had, and the 50 ive seen at meetups, ive never seen that before  :thumb:

Offline MajorYikes

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 17:51:46 »
So sad about the discoloration 😭

Offline MajorYikes

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 17:55:15 »
Sorry for a double post but does anyone know of anywhere besides Unicomp/eBay where I can get a full 122-key set for some of these keyboards?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 21:53:58 »
Those look way more shiny than any of my Model M keycaps.  And more flakey.

I wonder if someone got some transparent paint with flakes in it and just painted it on, like nail polish but transparent.

Something like these, but with smaller flakes.  And maybe not nail polish exactly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MajorYikes

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 23:15:31 »
Those look way more shiny than any of my Model M keycaps.  And more flakey.

I wonder if someone got some transparent paint with flakes in it and just painted it on, like nail polish but transparent.

Something like these, but with smaller flakes.  And maybe not nail polish exactly.

It’s hard to explain but they’re definitely not painted. It’s on the underside, too. They were made like this, not painted. You have to see it, I guess.

Offline MajorYikes

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 09:28:47 »
Just posted some better pictures. I cleaned it up immensely and listed it on eBay to get this to someone who finds it cool  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:27:14 »
Is the stem underneath glittery too?

Offline rxc92

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:42:03 »
Is the stem underneath glittery too?

From the second pic, it looks pretty clearly glittery as well. How interesting.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 03:08:44 »
Sounds very unique, definitely keepers.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline SneakyRobb

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 10:21:58 »
Hi I just saw your ebay post for this keyboard. Your price seems quite reasonable tbh.

The listing says that no one on geekhack knows about these keys. !!!

If you look at this unicomp listing for these random keys

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/LinTuxSet

You can see that they have the same metallic elements as yours as well as the weird side patches.

These are real unicomp keys afaik. They used to make metallic keys which were just normal keys with random metal glitter put into the mix.

Offline monkeycap198

• Moonkey
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 08:37:07 »
Where did u get these keycaps?