Author Topic: Interest Check: Dolch key caps group buy  (Read 74713 times)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Interest Check: Dolch key caps group buy
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 22:30:36 »
Quote from: lightsout714;530219
What happened to this buy. The pics in the OP look great!

Legend fees are a killer.  That and three more or less concurrent full set group buys. :)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #301 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 22:40:06 »
Do these require new legends? The font doesn't look that special.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #302 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 22:43:37 »
Dolch font == Cherry font

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #303 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 22:54:48 »
if you want to get this done you're going to need to get the mold specs from melissa, have your own set of molds milled at a very good machine shop with a very experienced operator, then send them to SP. unless someone who wants this done is actually that operator, this is going to be prohibitively expensive

HOWEVER! i would be in for a set that used dolch colors and the standard SP legends (maybe a couple of custom legends for modifiers or something) but didn't have all the kerning and centering weirdness of gb3

eta: actually it occurs to me that there may be CNC laser cutters that could make the molds.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #304 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 22:58:03 »
I would be surprised if SP would use molds of unknown origin in their machines, no matter what you tell them.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 22:58:50 »
ok then i don't think this is possible

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #306 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 01:39:50 »
New molds, are you nuts?  New legends is expensive enough.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #307 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 01:42:01 »
oh, yes, that's confusing. what i means was new legends molds. from the SP marketing documents it sounds like they make a brass mold for each legend that's like a simple 8x8 square with some holes in it or something. that's the one that sounds like it could be produced by someone other than SP without SP's weird requirements.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #308 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 02:28:29 »
Ah ok.  I'm not really sure about the terminology and what it all means.  I thought you meant duplicating the Cherry profile, which is hundreds of dollars per key type I believe.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #309 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 02:39:19 »
I think we have a better chance of building a time machine and going back in time to Cherry corp and killing all the people that decided to discontinue doubleshots production.

Offline gimpster

« Reply #310 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 09:22:59 »
Quote from: lysol;530567
I think we have a better chance of building a time machine and going back in time to Cherry corp and killing all the people that decided to discontinue doubleshots production.

I've watched all of the Doctor Who episodes, it doesn't look that hard to make a TARDIS work...let's do it! :)
-Ryan

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 23:33:05 »
I personally would rather do a thick PBT set of Dolch colors gray/dark gray with the sneaky HHKB-esque dye sub legends. New school Dolch steez!

SPs keycaps just don't seem to have the level of quality we need to justify the cost...

Offline gimpster

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 01:56:54 »
Quote from: ripster;531986
That's like saying I've watched all the Dr. Who episodes so I should be able to go to bed with Amy Pond.
(Attachment Link) 42316[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 42317[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 42318[/ATTACH]

I fail to see the flaw in that logic. :)
-Ryan

Offline gimpster

« Reply #313 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 01:59:34 »
Quote from: JesuswasaZombie;532841
I personally would rather do a thick PBT set of Dolch colors gray/dark gray with the sneaky HHKB-esque dye sub legends. New school Dolch steez!

SPs keycaps just don't seem to have the level of quality we need to justify the cost...

I'd be down for something like that, too. I prefer the feel of PBT to ABS. That said, you complain about the quality control of SP (and I'm certainly not defending them) but who do you think we would get to do them if not SP? Also, technically a dye-sub Dolch set would not look the same at all since you can only dye-sub to darker colors, which means it would need black text instead of white. It could still be a nice color combo, but it wouldn't really look very Dolch-ish.
-Ryan

Offline Nighted

« Reply #314 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 07:48:02 »
I like the colour scheme. Not too picky about the fonts. Just make this happen!
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #315 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 08:48:50 »
Quote from: Nighted;533032
I like the colour scheme. Not too picky about the fonts. Just make this happen!

For real just pick a similar font and be done with it! I'd be in for one.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 17:00:02 »
Quote from: gimpster;532938
I'd be down for something like that, too. I prefer the feel of PBT to ABS. That said, you complain about the quality control of SP (and I'm certainly not defending them) but who do you think we would get to do them if not SP? Also, technically a dye-sub Dolch set would not look the same at all since you can only dye-sub to darker colors, which means it would need black text instead of white. It could still be a nice color combo, but it wouldn't really look very Dolch-ish.

Yeah, Dark dye-sublimated legends like the HHKB.

The problem with double shots from Signature Plastics (and its not so much QC) is that SP have thin keycaps AND expensive legend setup costs. At the old prices I would do it. But no way at the new prices plus lame thin caps.

As for PBT I believe that would have to come through someone like Imsto or maybe through Devlin...

As for just doing it with the regular SP legends. No thanks. Look at R3 sets.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #317 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 17:37:25 »
Quote from: JesuswasaZombie;533414
Yeah, Dark dye-sublimated legends like the HHKB.

The problem with double shots from Signature Plastics (and its not so much QC) is that SP have thin keycaps AND expensive legend setup costs. At the old prices I would do it. But no way at the new prices plus lame thin caps.

As for PBT I believe that would have to come through someone like Imsto or maybe through Devlin...

As for just doing it with the regular SP legends. No thanks. Look at R3 sets.
Well you could get something better then R3. I'm not a fan of the big centered letters.

Offline wongster

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 18:02:21 »
Interested!

I like the Dolch colors and definitely like PBT over ABS. I'd prefer white legends, but whatever works for everyone. Make it happen please!
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2012, 18:54:38 by wongster »
CM Storm Cherry MX Red Tenkeyless - Black Engraved PBT, SC2, Novelty, RGBY, Red Esc Doubleshots
Leopold Cherry MX Brown Tenkeyless - Stock
IBM Model M #1390120 - March 11 1986

Offline gridlock

« Reply #319 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 16:46:07 »
What exactly is stopping us from making the dark HHKB style caps for cherry boards? If you don't mind me asking.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #320 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 17:09:38 »
i don't really see what's wrong with the SP molds (ie, thin caps). plus using their molds give us compatibility with all the DS gb sets we have going right now

and imsto's thick caps aren't really any cheaper than going with SP.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 17:23:38 »
Quote from: gridlock;534179
What exactly is stopping us from making the dark HHKB style caps for cherry boards? If you don't mind me asking.

Nothing, except it has nothing to do with Dolch keycaps which are two-toned white on grey with the Cherry font.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #322 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 20:22:24 »
Massive legend costz

Offline VladeK

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 07:23:28 »
I want one set.

Offline JSchool

« Reply #324 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 05:25:17 »
Is this going to actually happen?  If so I'll have second thoughts about my Round 3 order in the R4 group buy.  Not that R4 is ever going to happen.  :D

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #325 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 08:42:05 »
Quote from: JSchool;536742
Is this going to actually happen?  If so I'll have second thoughts about my Round 3 order in the R4 group buy.  Not that R4 is ever going to happen.  :D

It seems like no because of legend fees.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #326 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 11:24:04 »
There does seems to be some interest in a Dolch-colored set with standard SP legends.  We could make that happen easily enough, but we would want to coordinate with tsangan and lysol.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #327 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 11:27:22 »
Quote from: hashbaz;536900
There does seems to be some interest in a Dolch-colored set with standard SP legends.  We could make that happen easily enough, but we would want to coordinate with tsangan and lysol.

At the moment it's very overloaded with GBs...

Also a Dolch-colored set with SP legends would probably just kill this one outright...
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #328 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 12:04:17 »
Quote from: hashbaz;536900

I'd be down for that. Probably. Red alert is at the top of my list. Hopefully it happens sooner then later.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #329 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 12:14:58 »
there's a huge backlog of GBs right now. cream cheese is coming up next, and then at least one of the round 4 GBs will need to run its course, etc... it's probably best to put this one the backburner.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #330 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 12:30:35 »
Quote from: mkawa;536942
there's a huge backlog of GBs right now. cream cheese is coming up next, and then at least one of the round 4 GBs will need to run its course, etc... it's probably best to put this one the backburner.

I don't really include RD.4 in this. Its kind of its own thing and looks like it will probably never happen. We'll see though.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #331 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 13:11:30 »
Yeah, like I said we'd need to coordinate with the other full set buys.  It's probably best to keep this on ice until group buy madness settles down.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #332 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 01:57:58 »
If we replicate the Cherry legends well enough then it would be so worth the cost. But yeah, no hurry until we have a bit of a lull in the GBs and a definite guarantee on quality legends.

Wait... If we do the legends why shouldn't we do a massive GB with Cherry White/ Beige, Cherry Black and Cherry Dolch? (R5???)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #333 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 02:29:24 »
1) unless someone fronts a lot of money, you wouldn't get enough volume to keep costs low.

2) i don't think SP is going to be able to produce the legend molds you want, regardless of cost.

3) that many new complex legends is going to be a huge pain in the ass to proof, to mention working out kerning and other spacing issues. assume you're going to need to run every legend at least twice through their CNC and then on top of that the modifiers will need to be proofed at least once

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 02:31:16 »
Kerning won't be an issue with custom SVGs.  After my moogle buy we should have all the modifiers done.  It's a start. :)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #335 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 02:32:33 »
oh that's a good point. there will be spacing issues though.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #336 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 02:36:26 »
Quote from: mkawa;537586
oh that's a good point. there will be spacing issues though.

Yup.  I'm working on the new legends for the moogle buy now, and I got exact figures from Melissa about the legendable area of their keys vs. the total size of the key tops.  In theory it will allow me to be very precise.  I'm going to do a prototype Enter key as a test.  Once we get the spacing down for one key in each cluster, the rest will come for free.  F1-F12, the nav cluster, the letters, etc.

Offline litster

« Reply #337 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 03:23:43 »
How about this?  This community really need a new set of legends that is as close to Cherry as possible, for this group buy and for future group buys.  Since we have a number of group buys in motion now or will be very soon, would people be willing to start contributing to a GH/DT legend fund for every group buy moving forward?  $0.50 a moogle kit here, $1.00 a full set there.  A few group buys later we will have enough fund to create new legends that can be used for any keycaps we want to make in the future.  We already have a few of them from moogle kit group buys so we don't really have to make them all.

Obviously group buy organizers will need to agree to this and someone trustworthy will need to manage the legend fund pool.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 March 2012, 03:30:26 by litster »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #338 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 03:28:29 »
I like it.

Offline agor

« Reply #339 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 03:31:13 »
This is a great idea in my opionion.
Sad this would never happen for a German layout though.
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline litster

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 03:36:14 »
Cost for less demanding sets or add-on sets will cost more due to low volume.  If this is successful, we could keep the fund pool going to get legends created for keys in low volume sets.  You still will need enough people to order for that set though.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #341 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 04:28:22 »
Quote from: litster;537598
How about this?  This community really need a new set of legends that is as close to Cherry as possible, for this group buy and for future group buys.  Since we have a number of group buys in motion now or will be very soon, would people be willing to start contributing to a GH/DT legend fund for every group buy moving forward?  $0.50 a moogle kit here, $1.00 a full set there.  A few group buys later we will have enough fund to create new legends that can be used for any keycaps we want to make in the future.  We already have a few of them from moogle kit group buys so we don't really have to make them all.

Obviously group buy organizers will need to agree to this and someone trustworthy will need to manage the legend fund pool.

Thoughts?

I support this motion!
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline biochem

« Reply #342 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 07:38:48 »
Quote from: litster;537598
How about this?  This community really need a new set of legends that is as close to Cherry as possible, for this group buy and for future group buys.  Since we have a number of group buys in motion now or will be very soon, would people be willing to start contributing to a GH/DT legend fund for every group buy moving forward?  $0.50 a moogle kit here, $1.00 a full set there.  A few group buys later we will have enough fund to create new legends that can be used for any keycaps we want to make in the future.  We already have a few of them from moogle kit group buys so we don't really have to make them all.  Obviously group buy organizers will need to agree to this and someone trustworthy will need to manage the legend fund pool.  Thoughts?
 I like this proposal!
Filco MJ2 tenkeyless (blues)
Heatware

Offline litster

« Reply #343 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 11:23:10 »
If people think this is a good idea.  We will need a few things.

- the total cost to get legends made for the remaining keys that we don't have legends for.
- Need agreement from current GB organizers to add this to their cost, and send collected funds to the legend fund manager who will be the fund escrow.
- New GB organizers will need to be reminded about this effort and to support this
- Once we have enough fund, start a group buy that will use these new legends and get the legends made!
- Everyone is happy!

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #344 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 11:27:56 »
Quote from: litster;537868
If people think this is a good idea.  We will need a few things.

- the total cost to get legends made for the remaining keys that we don't have legends for.
- Need agreement from current GB organizers to add this to their cost, and send collected funds to the legend fund manager who will be the fund escrow.
- New GB organizers will need to be reminded about this effort and to support this
- Once we have enough fund, start a group buy that will use these new legends and get the legends made!
- Everyone is happy!
I like :)

We could probably raise this money really fast
Keyboardless

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 11:42:45 »
Quote from: biochem;537676
I like this proposal!

I'd like to start by saying:  Thank you for freaking me out with your sig.  That subtle shade of blue had me rather concerned about the state of my monitor.

And onto the topic at hand...

Can I also recommend setting it up so that people can donate to this fund such that those who don't want to buy caps without this new font can step up to the plate as well.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline litster

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 11:44:28 »
Quote from: alaricljs;537886
And onto the topic at hand...

Can I also recommend setting it up such that people can donate to this fund such that those who don't want to buy caps without this new font can step up to the plate as well.

Most definitely!  We are not going to stop people from contributing to the cause!

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 11:47:53 »
Quote from: ripster;537888
I'd just reuse the OTD Korean dude's legends.

They just kept hammering on Melissa until it was done right.

This is why American Engineering is in such a decline btw.  Accepting mediocrity like bad kerning.
You still have to pay for the legend fees
Keyboardless

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 12:34:44 »
how much will legend fees be, 300 or so?

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #349 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 12:37:37 »
Quote from: mkawa;537934
how much will legend fees be, 300 or so?

Lowest it will be is $10 per legend, and that's the lowest. So we need basically everything besides the modifiers so rough count of 68 legends for a tenkeyless
Keyboardless