Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1309337 times)

Offline Grona

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4550 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:00:57 »
Recently picked up a Hifiman he400i with a schiit magni and modi 2 uber, it's been absolutely fantastic.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #4551 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:44:52 »
I have a pair of Mt Dew branded V-Moda Crossfade LP2. I knew I wanted them but never had the money and when the Baja Blast promotion was going on I played the crap our of their mobile game to be able to get them. They are extremely good but far from the best. I have the extra thick  cushions on them and I have the mic boom so I can use it for gaming. I like them better than my Sony MDR-7506 studio monitors. They have a bit more dynamic sound and a wider response.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4552 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:50:18 »
Picked up those hifiman he350 cans from massdrop... they arent comfortable for me but otherwise they sound ok. I think i'll sell em though and pick up something else to replace my seinnheiser hd85s.
Show Image

Changing the pads can improve the comfort dramatically, but it'll also change the sound signature. On top of the discomfort, I found them to be a tad shrill and lacking in bass in stock form. I put Dekoni memory foam pads on my HE-350 and I am very pleased with the result.

Thanks i'll look in to getting those new pads. Its really just under the ear and jaw junction thats killing me from these rock hard pads that came with it. That reminds me i want to order the XL pads for my v-moda 100's that are my carry around cans.

I will say that the highs are mellowing out a bit after a couple hundred hours of use. I'm not sure if its just me getting used to them or they're actually softening up but i've left my itunes playing for a week straight through the headphones.

-Dana

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #4553 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:53:00 »
Picked up those hifiman he350 cans from massdrop... they arent comfortable for me but otherwise they sound ok. I think i'll sell em though and pick up something else to replace my seinnheiser hd85s.
Show Image

Changing the pads can improve the comfort dramatically, but it'll also change the sound signature. On top of the discomfort, I found them to be a tad shrill and lacking in bass in stock form. I put Dekoni memory foam pads on my HE-350 and I am very pleased with the result.

Thanks i'll look in to getting those new pads. Its really just under the ear and jaw junction thats killing me from these rock hard pads that came with it. That reminds me i want to order the XL pads for my v-moda 100's that are my carry around cans.

I will say that the highs are mellowing out a bit after a couple hundred hours of use. I'm not sure if its just me getting used to them or they're actually softening up but i've left my itunes playing for a week straight through the headphones.

Ugh, yes, the stock pads were rock hard and coupled with the high clamping force, made the cans really uncomfortable. I ended up putting the HE-350 pads on my DT990s and I am also pleased with the results there as I didn't really care for the stock pads on those either.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #4554 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 14:18:55 »
Just snagged a pair of ZMF Classics for quite a bargain. Really looking forward to them, now I need to sell off my old cans!

Offline atarione

« Reply #4555 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 19:17:24 »
cable modded (removable) Sony MDR-V6's ...finally got off my butt and made my dream of a portable friendly V6 a reality..

158400-0

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #4556 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 17:59:15 »
My Sennheiser HD6XX (Massdrop version of the HD650) arrived about a month ago.
They sound much more detailed than my old QPad QH-85 (essentially HyperX Cloud Pro but open back).
Very happy with this purchase, I love the openness of them.

Old vs new

Got a ModMic 5 for them
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4557 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:47:23 »

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #4558 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 02:10:57 »
Anyone know some good mods for dt770 pros (250)? paired with a schiit magni.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4559 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 13:04:26 »
Anyone know some good mods for dt770 pros (250)? paired with a schiit magni.

If you are feeling adventurous you can do the cable mod to make them detachable.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643648/beyer-dt770-pro-80-detachable-cable-mod (not my thread)

Other than that the only thing you could do is change out the stock pads.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #4560 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 13:20:44 »
Just snagged a pair of ZMF Classics for quite a bargain. Really looking forward to them, now I need to sell off my old cans!

Absolutely loving my ZMFs. I got the Vibro Mk II through Massdrop.

It's been a painful wait for the Atticus and Eikon, but I'm very excited for them.

I'd consider the V20 an audio related purchase (with Smartphone benefits) as it's just about the best sound I've heard coming from a cellphone. I'd put it above my Fiio X3 II (thus making it redundant) in SQ. Some have said it performs like a mid tier DAP, clean and clear and transparent. Plug in a high impedance headphone, and it switches to a more powerful sound (apparently, the headphone jack detects a high impedance can - =/> 50 Ohm - connected to it and will power the can accordingly). I tired my ATH-R70x (98dB sensitivity, 470 Ohm) and the phone powered it with authority with room to spare. Even heard of some trying their Audeze LCD's on the V20 and coming away pleased with what they hear. Heck, I'm now wondering what to do with my HiFiMan HM901s and Fiio X3 II......that's how good the phone sounds to me. :thumb:
Show Image

Man, I'm awful. Despite having my V20 since November, I just haven't tried using any of my cans on it yet to take advantage of the audio-focus it has. Probably comes from never using my phone as my primary DAP and not having a good travel case for anything buy my Crossfade LPs. Probably going to give it a go tonight.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2017, 13:34:44 by Slash Emperor »

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4561 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:46:46 »

Absolutely loving my ZMFs. I got the Vibro Mk II through Massdrop.

It's been a painful wait for the Atticus and Eikon, but I'm very excited for them.

I'd consider the V20 an audio related purchase (with Smartphone benefits) as it's just about the best sound I've heard coming from a cellphone. I'd put it above my Fiio X3 II (thus making it redundant) in SQ. Some have said it performs like a mid tier DAP, clean and clear and transparent. Plug in a high impedance headphone, and it switches to a more powerful sound (apparently, the headphone jack detects a high impedance can - =/> 50 Ohm - connected to it and will power the can accordingly). I tired my ATH-R70x (98dB sensitivity, 470 Ohm) and the phone powered it with authority with room to spare. Even heard of some trying their Audeze LCD's on the V20 and coming away pleased with what they hear. Heck, I'm now wondering what to do with my HiFiMan HM901s and Fiio X3 II......that's how good the phone sounds to me. :thumb:
Show Image

Man, I'm awful. Despite having my V20 since November, I just haven't tried using any of my cans on it yet to take advantage of the audio-focus it has. Probably comes from never using my phone as my primary DAP and not having a good travel case for anything buy my Crossfade LPs. Probably going to give it a go tonight.

Hey fellow Boston GH'er, I have a v10 and my gf has the V20. The V20 is slight better if you like an airy detailed presentation and V10 has a bit more "oomph" to it. Still, V10 was so good I sold all my DAPs up to about $150 (more expensive ones sounded preferable to the V10)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #4562 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 11:29:49 »
I need a new pair of headphones to use at work.  Currently I use the ATH-M50 driven by a Little Dot MkIII, which are perfectly adequate for commuter headphones, but a bit flat in overall sound quality.  Any recommendations for over-ear closed-back headphones in the sub-$250 range? 

Looking for relatively normal frequency response, I really don't like high or low-end boost.  I have a pair of Mad Dogs I use at home, and Sennheiser HD598, which would be perfect except they're open-backed. 

Suggestions?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4563 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 13:27:14 »
I need a new pair of headphones to use at work.  Currently I use the ATH-M50 driven by a Little Dot MkIII, which are perfectly adequate for commuter headphones, but a bit flat in overall sound quality.  Any recommendations for over-ear closed-back headphones in the sub-$250 range? 

Looking for relatively normal frequency response, I really don't like high or low-end boost.  I have a pair of Mad Dogs I use at home, and Sennheiser HD598, which would be perfect except they're open-backed. 

Suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Cs-Headphone/dp/B01JP436TS

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4564 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 14:56:07 »

Suggestions?

You're gonna laugh but get some VE Monks. The $5 earbud, yup. Run em out of your little dot. I'm not joking. Earbuds have come a long long way my man.

Good closed back with flat FR,huh? The Technics DJ1250 can take up to 3mW of power and has an almost ruler flat FR. They are great and you can do anything with them with EQ. insanely honest and versatile.

Guess I wont suggest JVC SZ1000 if you want no low end....

Sony MDR CD900ST are also phenomenal btw. That is a japan market only Sony though. this ain't anything like the MDR V6 you may know.

I personally like Sennheiser HD25 which Superlux makes a clone of that is almost as good. But it might be too forward mids for you...

Have you considered the B&W closed backs?

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #4565 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 15:40:02 »
You're gonna laugh but get some VE Monks. The $5 earbud, yup. Run em out of your little dot. I'm not joking. Earbuds have come a long long way my man.

Good closed back with flat FR,huh? The Technics DJ1250 can take up to 3mW of power and has an almost ruler flat FR. They are great and you can do anything with them with EQ. insanely honest and versatile.

Guess I wont suggest JVC SZ1000 if you want no low end....

Sony MDR CD900ST are also phenomenal btw. That is a japan market only Sony though. this ain't anything like the MDR V6 you may know.

I personally like Sennheiser HD25 which Superlux makes a clone of that is almost as good. But it might be too forward mids for you...

Have you considered the B&W closed backs?

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Cs-Headphone/dp/B01JP436TS

Thanks for the suggestions!  The Sony MDR CD900ST looks really nice, and I didn't even know Sennheiser made a closed-back version of the 598!  Definitely two I'm going to evaluate!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4566 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 12:50:44 »
god damn TJ got me wanting a jotunheim
I love Elzy

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4567 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 17:23:08 »
god damn TJ got me wanting a jotunheim

Bro unless you need a balanced amp - which you could get a better one separately - there are a ton of other DAC using the AK4490 that sound just as good. I mean schiit even makes one that is under 100 bucks. then you could spend the other 200ish on a dedicated balanced amp that kicks the jotunheims butt.

Offline mauri

« Reply #4568 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 08:11:35 »
Have any of you guys tried changing the cable on akg 701s. The web's full of tutorials but for some reason the cup that I'm supposed to remove is glued on or some ****, already scratched it to **** but it just won't budge.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4569 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 18:56:40 »
Have any of you guys tried changing the cable on akg 701s. The web's full of tutorials but for some reason the cup that I'm supposed to remove is glued on or some ****, already scratched it to **** but it just won't budge.

Yeah blast that **** with a heat gun, there is glue for sure.

I just dropped 355 dollars on some Rose cappuccino mk2 IEMs, 2 dynamic and 2 balanced armatures. They sound crazy.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #4570 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:07:19 »
I like my Massdrop TH-X00's and paired with the ifi iDSD-Micro... legit.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #4571 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 11:55:44 »
I currently use the Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver for both work and gaming.

Offline mauri

« Reply #4572 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 15:36:20 »

Yeah blast that **** with a heat gun, there is glue for sure.

I just dropped 355 dollars on some Rose cappuccino mk2 IEMs, 2 dynamic and 2 balanced armatures. They sound crazy.

Hmm gotta try that. I already got myself a pair of k712s but I still want to fix the 701s since I already have a new cable and pads for it.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline m3ll3n

« Reply #4573 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 17:34:17 »
modded t-50rp's here, they sound oh so good  :thumb:

Offline northpark

« Reply #4574 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 00:51:26 »
I'm wondering if somewhere in these 90 pages, someone has complained about their ear cartilage being irreparably damaged by Grado's. Checking in if it hasn't been said yet...

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4575 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 07:28:29 »
I'm wondering if somewhere in these 90 pages, someone has complained about their ear cartilage being irreparably damaged by Grado's. Checking in if it hasn't been said yet...

not grado but my ears have been ringing a lot more since i bought dt990s lol

Offline northpark

« Reply #4576 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 08:02:41 »

not grado but my ears have been ringing a lot more since i bought dt990s lol

Friend of mine down south has those and absolutely loves them!  You're in good company. 

Offline Jhors2

« Reply #4577 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 17:29:23 »
Currently using HD598s as my gaming headphones, they are really good for positional audio.

My "audiophile" setup is:
Audeze LCD-X
Woo Audio WA22 Amp
Schiit Yggdrasil DAC
All Wywires platinum/silver interconnects.
Duck Blackbird | Duck LSv3 | Duck Unicorn X Legend |  TX-75 | Mira SE | LZ-CP | LZ Iron | LZ Ergo | Duck Jet Fire | OTD 360 Corsa Apple Silver | TGR-910 CE

Incoming: Zeal Zephyr | Duck TC-V3 | Singa R2 | LZ GH v2 | Noxary 280 S | Noxary 220 S

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4578 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 12:58:00 »
Currently using HD598s as my gaming headphones, they are really good for positional audio.

My "audiophile" setup is:
Audeze LCD-X
Woo Audio WA22 Amp
Schiit Yggdrasil DAC
All Wywires platinum/silver interconnects.

You mean stereo to see where you should shoot 'm ****ers?

Coz my headphones are great but stereo not so much. I never know where they coming from.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4579 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 20:06:29 »
Has anyone tried the Monoprice Monolith 1060m? Rev 2 is out now

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #4580 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 01:12:18 »
Been using the Sennheiser HD598Cs + FiiO E10 for about a month now - consistently 2-3 hours/day, maximum of 7 hrs/day, varying from electronic or classical music to recorded school lectures and videos. The FiiO is probably not necessary considering the low impedance of the the HD598Cs (23U) in combination with output from a Macbook Pro, but should be noted.

Overall these headphones are very accurate, in my opinion, to what the recorded sound was intended to sound like. The sound is crisp, sharp, fast. Full disclosure, these are my first high(er) end headphones so keep that in mind. That being said, I really enjoy the sound and the overall comfort. At first I found them to be a bit finicky in terms of position on my head creating equal sounds in both ears. However, I've gotten used to how to adjust them to create equal sound bilaterally.

"But why did you by the closed-back version of the ever-so-popular 598??"
I work from home most of the time, and my fiance recently had a shoulder surgery and has also been home. In order for me to get through the 8+ hours of boring-ass lectures, my headphones have to be silent for those in my immediate surrounding. From my fiance, "I can just barely hear your music" when I'm listening to music waaaaaaaaay louder than I should be.

In terms of comfort you really cant go wrong with the HD 598's, open or closed as I hear the ear cups are identical. Once these puppies are one, they melt into your skull and eventually you forget they are even there.

In summary, if you are considering a new pair of sub $150 closed-back headphones, I would highly suggest Sennheiser 598Cs. My god, get these cans and listen to Yo Yo Ma perform Bach on the cello. Take a second to think about how amazing it is to experience the emotion that is invoked when music created hundreds of years ago is performed today. Cheers, B

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4581 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 19:13:26 »
I'm looking to get a dac and amp soon.. trying to decide between Schiit Johtunheim w/ DAC module and getting a Modi Multi-bit dac to pair with Johtunheim without dac

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4582 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 08:34:33 »
I'm looking to get a dac and amp soon.. trying to decide between Schiit Johtunheim w/ DAC module and getting a Modi Multi-bit dac to pair with Johtunheim without dac

Myself I would save the desktop space and get it the Jotunheim with the DAC module. Mainly because you get the balanced headphone jack and balanced outputs in the back you could use for an amplifier and speakers in the future.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #4583 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 10:21:20 »
My headphones are the Grado SR 225i. I've enjoyed them for some years, because before I was using my computer in a different place. Now, however, I can use my speakers at high volumen because nobody will complain. Therefore, my headphones are rarely used anymore. It's a pity, because they are amazing for Heavy Metal.

Offline diiiP

« Reply #4584 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:24:36 »
I am using the Philips Fidelio X2 since two years now and could not be happier.
Comfort and buildquality is a 10/10, and the sound is more on the "fun".

Offline jcc04

« Reply #4585 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 16:45:29 »
I've now gone through buying and selling two 598's and just recently my 6XX's, I love them but I just need a solid closed back pair and invest in some at home speakers.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4586 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 18:09:32 »
I've now gone through buying and selling two 598's and just recently my 6XX's, I love them but I just need a solid closed back pair and invest in some at home speakers.

The Sennheiser 598cs are a solid closed back headphone but if you're looking for something more high end the Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 are incredible. I don't own them but had the opportunity to use them for a week and will be getting a pair....one day.

What budget range for home speakers are you looking at? Also are you getting some nice bookshelfs with sub or a full 5.1/7.1 setup?

Offline mrduul

« Reply #4587 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 08:53:12 »
Honestly any Sennheiser has been an amazing experience.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4588 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 17:57:54 »
finally bought m2/m2 stack lol
I love Elzy

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4589 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 17:38:53 »
How is it?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4590 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 17:40:11 »
getting proxied, won't have it for a while
I love Elzy

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4591 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 16:02:25 »
Nice, I need a new dac/amp. Been using a Schiit fulla for the past year since it drives my fidelio x2s fine. Used to have a M/M stack but got rid of it last year. Unfortunately with my new motherboard there is a lot of background noise with the fulla so I think I will have to look at alternatives.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4592 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 20:42:49 »
Nice, I need a new dac/amp. Been using a Schiit fulla for the past year since it drives my fidelio x2s fine. Used to have a M/M stack but got rid of it last year. Unfortunately with my new motherboard there is a lot of background noise with the fulla so I think I will have to look at alternatives.

I use optical TOSLINK from my PC to DAC so there is no way interference from the motherboard can travel along the cable. I also plug all of the audio devices in my chain into a power conditioner to filter noise from the grid. It works quite well and I get perfectly black backgrounds with everything from IEMs to the HD800.

My DAC/amp is Bifrost 4490 and Lake People Violectric V200.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4593 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:34:59 »
Just ordered a pair of the Fostex T-X0's. Unfortunately they won't be here until around October. :(

Offline mrduul

« Reply #4594 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 01:59:16 »
Mannnn anything sennheiser

Offline Blanched_Almond

« Reply #4595 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 08:02:18 »
Now this thread game me an idea which to choose from.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4596 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 13:17:35 »
bee stole my Schiit stack
I love Elzy

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4597 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 15:09:15 »
I have the HD 700's now and they are great for gaming. Their ability for positional audio is fantastic (depending on the game of course).

Music still sounds incredible but I do notice a huge difference between them and the HD 600. Thinking the 650's would be the just right in between. Gonna be selling my HD 700's though and take a chance on the Monolith M1060's.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #4598 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 15:22:02 »
I just use a pair of senal SMH-1000's studio monitor headphones.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4599 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 19:20:22 »
I have the HD 700's now and they are great for gaming. Their ability for positional audio is fantastic (depending on the game of course).

Music still sounds incredible but I do notice a huge difference between them and the HD 600. Thinking the 650's would be the just right in between. Gonna be selling my HD 700's though and take a chance on the Monolith M1060's.

I'd say the HD600 is probably more of an in-between for the HD650 and HD700. The HD650 is a bit darker sounding than the HD600.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S