Author Topic: CST 2545-5xw-rc 3200dpi owners  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Max

CST 2545-5xw-rc 3200dpi owners
« on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 17:34:47 »
Hi, I'm new here and was wanting to know where I can get some button switches, for this trackball. Saw some pics of these and would like to get a couple, just don't know where to look. One more thing, I'm guessing these just plug in then I can program them via CST's software. Thanks for any help. Max

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 18:45:18 »
Right now they are strictly "build your own", and you will find some examples on this site.  CST has been working on providing this add-on, as well as a wrist rest, for some time, but neither have surfaced yet.  Keeping fingers crossed.

Good luck............

PS......Welcome to Geekhack!

Offline Max

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 19:00:09 »
Ok Thanks alot, trying to get this ready for BF3.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 21:20:46 »
Yeah, you can use any type of switches you want. I made mine out of some old complicated ALPs switches I had laying around, and Ripster I think used some Sanwa arcade switches.

Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Max

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 04:01:54 »
Thanks all for input. When I got this mouse I emailed CST about switches, Robert Rolling replied, saying they were a long way out on production. He sent this link for switches, http://www.enablemart.com/, thinking I may find one there. I came across a switch called a spec switch, 1 3/8 in dia. and a 1/8 in. 3.5mm plug, do you think this would work. I am not good at wiring stuff so this is why I am looking at something like this. http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/General-Switches/Specs-Switch#   Thanks again. Max

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 09:08:40 »
Those switches would work, but they are really designed for assistive needs, more for use as activation points (head, elbow, knee, foot, etc.).  The 6 ft long cord could come in handy if you were wanting to use them in that manner, but they might prove too big to mount close enough to your mouse to make finger stretch comfortable.

Good luck, and keep the list informed on your solution..............later...

Offline ironman31

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 23:08:21 »
Quote from: Max;369328
Thanks all for input. When I got this mouse I emailed CST about switches, Robert Rolling replied, saying they were a long way out on production. He sent this link for switches, http://www.enablemart.com/, thinking I may find one there. I came across a switch called a spec switch, 1 3/8 in dia. and a 1/8 in. 3.5mm plug, do you think this would work. I am not good at wiring stuff so this is why I am looking at something like this. http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/General-Switches/Specs-Switch#   Thanks again. Max

Maybe if you rolled up the cable and taped it on the side of the trackball. But I don't think that's your best option. If you've never done any soldering before, this is a really good introduction project you could work on. Just get a cheap iron and solder from Radio shack along with some stranded wire. If you can find a cheap board with any types of switches, you can get one and have plenty of switches to mess up on if you end up destroying them while soldering.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Max

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 03:38:30 »
I have done a fair amount of soldering, that's not what worries me, I'm not crazy about getting inside this thing and voiding the warranty. I did tear apart a very old Gravis game pad that has been around for years and salvaged some nice small buttons, then I dissected an old Cyborg joystick and got a couple switches, mounted on a small circuit board. These switches have four feet soldered to the board, This is where my knowledge of wiring is weak. Where would I solder the two wires for the switch to the trackball? I was thinking any two of the legs, but not sure, I would like to solder the wires the the switch, then to a new 1/8 in. plug so I could just plug it in, rather than opening up the trackball. This is one option I have thought about, or If anyone could paste a link to parts I could use, ie.. wire size, the correct type of switch and so on, I would really appreciate it. Sorry to be so long winded, I have been working Google to death but still can't find anything I think I could use, in part I think to not knowing what would really work. I'm not giving up on this I know I can do it, just needing some guidance. Thanks for any help. Max

Offline ironman31

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 11:38:13 »
I used ripster's tutorial to do mine, not sure if you've seen it yet. http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:8810
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices: