Author Topic: Cypress sensor/Ikari  (Read 3434 times)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

Cypress sensor/Ikari
« on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 05:30:29 »
Interested in the Ikari Laser because of the shape (and laser because of hard pad/dpi, I can't use a large and heavy mouse comfortably at 1600 or so, must generally be above 2000, at least when palming). Max dpi a bit low but enough, probably not going to use all. The sensor seems to be Cypress Ovation ONS I, which tells me nothing. It's not only Ikari using it but it's rare anyway. Where does it stand in terms of accel and prediction/correction/snapping? Any noticeable problems with tracking on hard pads (4HD)?

I'm hesitant to pay for 2007 tech and an old sensor but heh, I suppose good old optical Avago 3080 is older than that, so I as well might.

For the record, while it's hard to compare optical and laser sensors, how would that sensor compare to Avago 3080 (what I have), Avago 9500 (laser sensor from Xai/Sensei/G9X, I have a G9X but it may've died), the newest optical Avago from g400 (which I'm vaguely interested in and understand to be an improvement from Avago 3080)?

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Re: Cypress sensor/Ikari
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 15:35:29 »
From what I know the laser sensors that are on Steelseries mouse aren't that great and their optical sensors only have one flaw and that's the acceleration. I've used the Ikari laser and switched out for the optical and I found that the laser felt like any cheap mouse as to the optical was more accurate but allot of acceleration. Keep in mind that it is a very comfortable but big mouse.

I tried both on a saitek cyborg v.5 hard mousepad and a qck mini and on the hard surface the laser was a bit better but overall did not make that much difference.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 July 2012, 15:39:25 by Lmnr »
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 10:46:01 »
Thanks. I'm basically looking for something to replace a dead G9X with, not necessarily another unit of the same. Gotta be either big and comfy enough for palming or smaller and comfy enough to swipe (fingertip grip)/claw for extended periods of time, where I already have RSI/CTS. It's difficult here to go and check out a unit hands-on in the shop unless you're lucky and they're exhibited by a huge electronics retailer. Actually pawing the mice tends to prove that cheap office mice generally have better ergonomics than "gaming" models anyway.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 July 2012, 10:49:10 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 12:03:25 »
Yea only the simple looking gaming mouse seem to work the best with a few exceptions like the Ikari but from what I know any of the cheap dell mouse are more than enough for simple stuff like that. I currently have a sidewinder x3 that I paid 15$ for and soon getting a Zowie am which so far is the only "gaming" mouse worth getting other than the standard xai or deathadder.

By the way if you want a replacement for the g9x the cm storm spawn has somewhat of the same shape.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 July 2012, 12:05:15 by Lmnr »
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 19:34:10 »
Yea only the simple looking gaming mouse seem to work the best with a few exceptions like the Ikari but from what I know any of the cheap dell mouse are more than enough for simple stuff like that. I currently have a sidewinder x3 that I paid 15$ for and soon getting a Zowie am which so far is the only "gaming" mouse worth getting other than the standard xai or deathadder.

By the way if you want a replacement for the g9x the cm storm spawn has somewhat of the same shape.

Thanks, and yeah, considered the Spawn too. Should have a great optical sensor (Avago 3090), has Omron switches, problem being the 142 grams of weight. It's probably not a problem if you slap enough teflon at the bottom and especially if you're clawing to begin with but I can generally feel even small differences in weight among various mice and G9X's weight even without the weights was way too much (in turn, lighter mice can kill your hands too if they're small and you need to bend your fingers at uncomfortable angles). On the other hand, G9X without any grip at all turns into some sort of high-DPI laser Kinzu (only a bit narrow). It is usable (and for a big bonus, you can finally forget about side buttons getting in the way of your fingers) but I haven't played a serious game like that yet. It might be kinda logical to get another G9X since I already have the custom ID grip I've spent some money on, plus I could expirement with the other grips like stick some teflon on the rim and some grip-assisting rubber stickers on top. But I'm not sure really if I want to go there again. Might be a good idea to try something new.

That one Zowie AM has 2300 dpi and that's close to ideal for me with a larger optical mouse. Somewhat worried that the 3090 sensor (same as in the Spawn) is generally more of a native 1800/3600 dpi sensor, while the 2300 seems to result from Zowie's experimenting with the lens. Not as bad as interpolation but I wouldn't be too enthusiastic, I think. On the other hand, the other available resolutions are 450 and 1150 and I guess they wouldn't run a serious gaming mouse on three non-native resolutions, so whatever they do with the lens must be pretty much solid stuff. Also looked at Mico but not sure about that one. 1600 DPI isn't much but with a smaller mouse it's better than with a big one, even 1200 would be manageable with something so small. I like the small size and weight and absence of side buttons but 58 mm width is steep (IMHO 80 mm would be cool to have on a mouse). Anyway, looking forward to hearing what you think about the AM when you get it! It costs almost as much as Sensei, it'd better be worth it.

Incidentally, prices of Raze Spectre seem to have fallen where I live (EUR 39/USD 47 shipment included) and for all the reported trouble with the sensor (same as in R.A.T. 7 & 9) and other stuff the shape of the mouse seems to be ideal from my point of view. For the record, the G9X also seems to cost like half of what it used to. But I generally boycott Razer ever since that 'Cult of Razer' thing. If they want to act like a sect, they can do so without me. Besides, Zowie Mico has almost the exact same size and weight, while Azurues Mini from TT esports is similar. I'm generally somewhat tempted by TT products, especially the Azurues line and the Saphira. But Azurues has the same Avago 3080 that I have in my A4tech mouse (X-478K). As for Saphira, the fact that WhiteRa is a cool guy and probably wouldn't fool you about having participated in the design process of a mouse he'd never looked at, is contributing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 July 2012, 20:00:36 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 00:13:05 »
As far as I know Thermaltake excels in keyboards and cases, mouses? not so much. In terms of quality their mice aren't anything different that you would get from any other game company such as Roccat. There is one exception though, The Level 10 mouse that's in the works. As for the Zowie am I normally play around 400-800 dpi with my sidewinder and from other players that I know that play quake and such recommend it. Since you require fast yet accurate response that says allot for the mouse and almost every where I find information about it brag that it is supposedly the new intellimouse. Anyways I am sure that using it on decently high dpi would not make that much different.

From what I've read Zowie's solid mice are the EC1, EC2 and the am.
Razer's spectre's issue I think is the way they put the two sensors for one mouse work so for now don't get it unless it is practically free.

Really wish that the Zowie am looked nicer though.. I wanted to get the sensei so bad but I weighed looking nice vs performance and since the sensei's sensor has significant acceleration that's something that can't be removed kinda killed my urge to get it. :(

I don't know if my style is considered claw or fingertip but I use my thumb and pinky to move the mouse and index finger for left click and middle for right and never use the ring finger except for buttons like speaking on my headset and such.
Peripherals:

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 19:19:26 »
In terms of quality their mice aren't anything different that you would get from any other game company such as Roccat.

If I could pick only one thing, I think I'd still pick design over execution. I can put up with some imperfections as long as the mouse fits well and tracks well.

There is one exception though, The Level 10 mouse that's in the works.

BMW, lol.

As for the Zowie am I normally play around 400-800 dpi with my sidewinder and from other players that I know that play quake and such recommend it.

Low-sens then... Can't really do that, I mean at least not 400 dpi in full HD RTS games, I think. I know the benefits of low-sensing but with 800 dpi I couldn't ever make it in time. 1000 was taxing. Maybe because I'm lazy and unfit, so moving my arms around fast and consistently is too much of an effort.

Since you require fast yet accurate response that says allot for the mouse and almost every where I find information about it brag that it is supposedly the new intellimouse.

The problem is pretty much everybody makes or can make the same claim. :/ I've actually thought about getting an Intellimouse and just cranking up the speed in windows.

Razer's spectre's issue I think is the way they put the two sensors for one mouse work so for now don't get it unless it is practically free.

I think Spectre only has the Philips TwinEye laser, it was the Imperator and maybe one or two more that got a combo.

Really wish that the Zowie am looked nicer though..

It does totally not look it. ;)

I wanted to get the sensei so bad but I weighed looking nice vs performance and since the sensei's sensor has significant acceleration that's something that can't be removed kinda killed my urge to get it. :(

5% remaining accel after turning it off in the drivers or something along those lines?

I don't know if my style is considered claw or fingertip but I use my thumb and pinky to move the mouse and index finger for left click and middle for right and never use the ring finger except for buttons like speaking on my headset and such.

That'd be fingertip unless you bend your fingers much, I guess.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 10:43:38 »
Well in RTS gaming you could prob get away with 1000 dpi or even 800 but I see your point.

The Razer mouse I got confused with is their Taipan model, sorry haha.

As for the Sensei I might look information on its acceleration to see if anyone has modded their sensei to remove it.

Btw Only RTS games I played pretty well are the c&c games and their Red Alert games
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 July 2012, 10:48:06 by Lmnr »
Peripherals: