Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3505363 times)

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #16050 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 20:07:10 »
yeah way too expensive unfortunately.
How much are you looking to spend per switch? Do you need plate or pcb mount??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I found this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/61-87-104-108-PCs-Cherry-White-Milky-3-Pin-MX-Series-Mechanical-Switch-DIY/282695556254?var=581923798064&hash=item41d1f7dc9e:m:md3VOpbEqvwXoB94kVfHuww

but idk how legit this is :O

He's legit, runs group buys on here sometimes. And I'm pretty sure people have bought whites from him and they click properly.

Wish me luck

Sennin32 is very legit. Bought parts from him several times, and so have some of my friends. The Whites he sells are also the new retooled ones, so they do not have the inconsistency issues they had in the past.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #16051 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 21:40:43 »
Wasn't sure where best to ask this, and I'm not even sure if this is the best place.

So for about a year I've been wanting to track down a specific Bro Bot to put on a Realforce RGB. Well I didn't know that Bro Bots have square MX stems. Realforce RGB has MX sliders which have a round cup with the MX cross in the middle. So I'm thinking I'll just need to cut the cup out. Has anyone done this before? Any recommendations?
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16052 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 22:02:35 »
Wasn't sure where best to ask this, and I'm not even sure if this is the best place.

So for about a year I've been wanting to track down a specific Bro Bot to put on a Realforce RGB. Well I didn't know that Bro Bots have square MX stems. Realforce RGB has MX sliders which have a round cup with the MX cross in the middle. So I'm thinking I'll just need to cut the cup out. Has anyone done this before? Any recommendations?

probably better off swapping the slider and finding a topre version of the bot?
I love Elzy

Offline Koatl

« Reply #16053 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 22:08:21 »

If so, that could be soul-crushing news haha. It's the Celestial Pink BBv2. Though assuming they even exist in Topre, I bet someone would be willing to trade for my MX.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep that in mind. Gonna experiment with an extra slider first.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2017, 22:10:49 by Koatl »
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #16054 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 09:08:15 »

If so, that could be soul-crushing news haha. It's the Celestial Pink BBv2. Though assuming they even exist in Topre, I bet someone would be willing to trade for my MX.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep that in mind. Gonna experiment with an extra slider first.

Don't worry about cutting anything up or giving up your dreams. Get your hands on a novatouch or JTK slider for the BB. I can't speak for he JTK slide feel, but it will certainly solve your issue.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16055 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 09:41:31 »

They definitely exist in topre as I've had one (probably rarer than MX so good luck).

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16056 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 05:30:01 »

if you don't mind shipping to australia, i can trade you mine. it's been sitting in its baggy for too long, would much rather let it be in the hands of someone who's gonna use it

shoot me a pm

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #16057 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 07:07:15 »
Not necessarily a question but rather an answer if people ever needed it. I had a screw in stabilizer wire come loose on a keeb. Not wanting to desolder the whole thing to hook it back in, I used a crochet hook to get in between the pcb and plate and pull it back in place. Worked like a charm.

pls gief bbv2

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16058 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 07:49:06 »
Good tip. I really hate those cases where the stab wire gets between the plate and the PCB and there is near to nothing to do, but taking apart the full thing.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #16059 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 07:51:37 »
Good tip. I really hate those cases where the stab wire gets between the plate and the PCB and there is near to nothing to do, but taking apart the full thing.

Tell me about it.. That's the reason I use costar exclusively from now on.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Vlada011

« Reply #16060 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 09:59:06 »
I have question about Tex Aluminum case for TKL keyboards.
My keyboard Deck Francium Pro have not removable power cable, same as Filco TKL keyboards.
Most of Aluminum cases Vortex and Tex and compatible with Filco keyboards.
Maybe someone know how much is different PCB od Deck Francium Pro and Filco Majestouch 2?
Is there any chance to put Francium Pro In same case as Filco.
I saw on internet some pictures but I didn't notice how they resolved not removable power cable.

Another question is how much is difference between Tex and Vortex Aluminium cases for TKL keyboards?

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #16061 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 10:04:56 »

I'm the other way around, I have a couple boards with plate mounted stabs and I dislike them a lot. I prefer pcb mounted stabs... I've never had issues with wires coming loose except with these zeal stabs, which he acknowledged was an issue.
pls gief bbv2

Offline te_dulce

« Reply #16062 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 04:06:15 »
Do newer/ retooled Matias Quiet Clicks still have the faint click sound on off-center presses? Most notably on the 'top' of the switch (the side where the pins are). I'm seeing a few 'supposedly's but can someone with new quiet clicks vouch for this?

Offline Koatl

« Reply #16063 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 19:43:40 »
Don't worry about cutting anything up or giving up your dreams. Get your hands on a novatouch or JTK slider for the BB. I can't speak for he JTK slide feel, but it will certainly solve your issue.

Realforce RGB has sliders, but their circular part prevents the square part of the BBv2 from being inserted into it. Looks like the TJK sliders would present the same problem. Sucks. Thanks though!

if you don't mind shipping to australia, i can trade you mine. it's been sitting in its baggy for too long, would much rather let it be in the hands of someone who's gonna use it

shoot me a pm

Oh dude, thank you! Normally I wouldn't mind at all and would be eager to do the trade, but my cousin bought me this cap. There's nothing in the world i would trade or sell this thing for, unless he wanted it for some reason. Seriously though, thank you for being willing to do that.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #16064 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 21:57:11 »
With these Leeku TX87 PCB's do you have to define which spacebar spacing that you are using for it to work properly? Every key on the board besides space is working. I had it at 6.25 earlier and it was working but it isn't on 7...

Nvm it looks like one of the pads for the different spacebar widths came up. The trace goes through all of the pads before it gets to the diode.

What gauge wire should I use to fix this?

Nvm that theory was wrong. idk what the **** is wrong now I don't see any broken traces :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 November 2017, 23:04:44 by MKULTRA »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #16065 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 00:02:20 »
UNsoldered the spacebar and cleaned it up heres what the pads look like. As you can see the ones on the right are damaged. But I'm used the 7x holes to the left which look good and I don't see broken traces...

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16066 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 23:29:18 »
Geekhack meta question: why do IC OPs post 'Reserved' in the first comment? Is that to save the top comment stop in case they need to use it for updates etc? Why not just update the original post.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16067 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 23:34:40 »
Geekhack meta question: why do IC OPs post 'Reserved' in the first comment? Is that to save the top comment stop in case they need to use it for updates etc? Why not just update the original post.

I used my 'reserved' post for a todo list. Other people do different things with the additional post. Depends on the intention of the individual I guess.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16068 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 23:36:19 »

I used my 'reserved' post for a todo list. Other people do different things with the additional post. Depends on the intention of the individual I guess.

But overall it's just to save the top comment for later use. Makes sense. Thanks!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16069 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 23:50:14 »

But overall it's just to save the top comment for later use. Makes sense. Thanks!

Sure thing :thumb:

Offline Doofy

• I'm from Scotland and I like Keyboards.
« Reply #16070 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 18:48:25 »
Hello guys! First post ever here!

So I'm about to purchase a Outemu Blue Magicforece keyboard, I am wanting to put 80g springs in it, now I'm pretty sure a cheap Outemu board will end up being PCB mounted so it'll be an easy job. I am wanting to know, if the keyboard has LEDs on the board, is it still as simple as popping off the top and replacing the spring or will this require desolder? Also will it take cherry keycaps and springs in the first place? thanks guys!
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 November 2017, 18:56:23 by Doofy »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16071 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 19:11:15 »

So I'm about to purchase a Outemu Blue Magicforece keyboard, I am wanting to put 80g springs in it, now I'm pretty sure a cheap Outemu board will end up being PCB mounted so it'll be an easy job. I am wanting to know, if the keyboard has LEDs on the board, is it still as simple as popping off the top and replacing the spring or will this require desolder? Also will it take cherry keycaps and springs in the first place? thanks guys!

Magicforce is plate mounted, so you'd need to desolder.

You'd need switch holes in this approximate shape to take the tops of without desoldering:

« Last Edit: Sun, 12 November 2017, 19:13:01 by xondat »

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #16072 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 19:21:47 »

Xondat is correct - you need to desolder it. Bit since you're basically gutting the case, you might as well have a MF68 PCB made (http://www.40percent.club/2016/11/mf68-revised-pcb.html) and put that in. There are also older versions of the Outemu Teal (like a Blue but heavier) switch that have 80g springs already in them: https://mehkee.com/products/outemu-switches-purple-teal?variant=48787381391 Make sure you buy from that link because the new ones are 68g, not 80.

Offline Doofy

« Reply #16073 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 20:11:59 »
Thanks for the info guys! I was actually crushing on Cherry Blacks for a long time till I found out they were scratchy and apparently felt horrible. I've recently been hearing of "new" blacks that have just came out, any info on that and if its true, how I could find a board with the improved ones?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16074 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 20:19:48 »
Thanks for the info guys! I was actually crushing on Cherry Blacks for a long time till I found out they were scratchy and apparently felt horrible. I've recently been hearing of "new" blacks that have just came out, any info on that and if its true, how I could find a board with the improved ones?

The molds have been altered/redesigned or something. The end effect is that they're really smooth compared to the past.

Not sure about finding a stock board with the new ones in as they aren't sorted separately. Best bet would be building your own board.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16075 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 21:22:32 »

Probably best to piece together a custom keyboard rather than strip apart a Magicforce. Although, it would make a decent practice board for that sort of thing. And yes, desoldering 100%.

Offline Doofy

« Reply #16076 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 21:38:49 »
I cant solder so thats going to be an issue to build my own, unless you can get stuff that is partly done or something? I think budget would be too low anyway, I cant spend anymore than 100 on the full thing. I will someday though.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16077 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 19:11:10 »

There is also a max character count for posts (can't remember what it is), so reserving helps just in case you might reach that limit.  But mostly it's to separate content into different logical groupings, as csmertx said.  :thumb:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16078 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 19:28:06 »

There is also a max character count for posts (can't remember what it is),

I think that I hit it once (maybe on my ebay dissertation) and it was driving me crazy until I realized that there was a limit.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline schiorean

« Reply #16079 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 01:37:06 »
Hi,

I want to sell my mech kb, is there a reason why I can't post to classifieds? Or where can I post a sell topic?

Thank you.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #16080 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 02:03:04 »
Hi,

I want to sell my mech kb, is there a reason why I can't post to classifieds? Or where can I post a sell topic?

Thank you.

Your thread has to be approved by a Moderator first I believe.
-Dana

Offline schiorean

« Reply #16081 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 02:29:41 »
Your thread has to be approved by a Moderator first I believe.

The problem is that I don't even see "new topic" button inside classifieds forum.

Offline J-Bird

« Reply #16082 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 03:24:15 »
The problem is that I don't even see "new topic" button inside classifieds forum.
The reason:
TL;DR YOU NEED AT LEAST 25 POSTS AND 60 DAYS OF MEMBERSHIP TO POST NEW TOPICS IN CLASSIFIEDS & GROUP BUYS  :-*

Offline menuhin

« Reply #16083 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 12:36:09 »
GH Oracles,

Is there any 40% or 60% Bluetooth keyboard kit out there?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16084 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 12:54:09 »
GH Oracles,

Is there any 40% or 60% Bluetooth keyboard kit out there?

I'm not the guy you want to save after you collect all the keys but I've read of Bluefruit. Seems to be a relatively decent solution for 'diy' bluetooth hid. Not exactly a kit. If you can contact a local Adafruit representative maybe they can guide you through what you need to complete the project.

Offline Floofs

« Reply #16085 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 14:28:37 »
Does the Northgate Omnikey 102 have a non-mechanical version? Are they only either white or blue alps? First post here also. Hope I didn't do it wrong! Thanks

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16086 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 15:34:06 »
Does the Northgate Omnikey 102 have a non-mechanical version?

Are they only either white or blue alps?

I am pretty sure that Omnikeys only came with Alps, although there are complicated and simplified versions out there, depending on date.

Here is everything that you need to know on the subject:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45456.0
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline goose114

« Reply #16087 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 20:25:16 »
I've done some searching, but haven't found anything promising so maybe someone knows. Is there any such thing as a layout that is tenkeyless, removes the nav cluster, but keeps the grouped function keys (and uses a layer for navigation)? Basically, a standard US101/104 layout minus everything to the right of F12/Backspace/Enter/etc. The 75% layout seems kind of close, but all of those seem to have function keys in one continuous row. Would it be feasible to build such a thing?

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #16088 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 21:26:28 »
I've done some searching, but haven't found anything promising so maybe someone knows. Is there any such thing as a layout that is tenkeyless, removes the nav cluster, but keeps the grouped function keys (and uses a layer for navigation)? Basically, a standard US101/104 layout minus everything to the right of F12/Backspace/Enter/etc. The 75% layout seems kind of close, but all of those seem to have function keys in one continuous row. Would it be feasible to build such a thing?

Sure definitely!
There have been a few builds similar to what you described.

Check out Talking Tree’s Project Toad for example =)

Offline goose114

« Reply #16089 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 21:33:55 »
Sure definitely!
There have been a few builds similar to what you described.

Check out Talking Tree’s Project Toad for example =)

Yes, that's almost exactly what I've been hoping to find! This gives me some hope. Thank you.

Offline foisoter

« Reply #16090 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 11:42:14 »
Hi guys :-) Could you please help me with a recommendation. I would like to buy a mechanical keyboard that:
* is silent
* 75% form factor (i need dedicated keys for arrows)
* has backlight
* is black

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #16091 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 11:45:32 »
Hi guys :-) Could you please help me with a recommendation. I would like to buy a mechanical keyboard that:
* is black

Now THAT is racist. :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16092 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 11:47:52 »
* is black

Well he said black and silent,  can't argue with that.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #16093 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 11:48:40 »
* is black

Well he said black and silent,  can't argue with that.

:))

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #16094 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 11:58:34 »
The reason:
TL;DR YOU NEED AT LEAST 25 POSTS AND 60 DAYS OF MEMBERSHIP TO POST NEW TOPICS IN CLASSIFIEDS & GROUP BUYS  :-*

Good to know.

Offline Doofy

« Reply #16095 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 13:45:01 »
* is silent
* has backlight
* is black

You may want to look around at Chinese boards, you'll find one in that market easily. Something with Gateron Clears could probably be found in a 75% form factor.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #16096 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 01:05:46 »
Hi guys. I have a question. Do Alps have the same distance between mount plate and PCB like cherrys, which is 3.5 mm?

Offline foisoter

« Reply #16097 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 12:37:27 »
* is silent
* has backlight
* is black

Ok, so there aren't that many options for 75%. How about a tenkeyless, what would you recommend?

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #16098 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 12:42:29 »
* is silent
* has backlight
* is black

Ok, so there aren't that many options for 75%. How about a tenkeyless, what would you recommend?

Any switch preference? and how much are you willing to spend? :))

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline foisoter

« Reply #16099 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 14:42:40 »
No and like 100$