Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2435722 times)

Offline xixihaha2008

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 19:35:20 »
NEC PK-KB015 ALPS SKCL yellow switch[NIB] :p

That is one wonky looking board.  Love it.  How do you like the Yellow Alps?

New Alps board is trustworthy, this yellow board is very very smooth.
I want to get a ALPS blue board, but it's a pity that I couldn't find it. :(

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 September 2014, 20:42:06 by xixihaha2008 »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 04:26:35 »
OMG, I would love to have one of these. Lucky Japanese people get all the good stuff. In the west the people making decisions about keyboard design for big computer companies are lazy and cheap.

If you know of any others, I’m sure Jesse (Obra) of keyboard.io would love to buy one.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 September 2014, 04:29:07 by jacobolus »

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #202 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 02:28:47 »
:eek: magnefecent, i interest get one sym sgg vers. like hasu have :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 October 2014, 02:32:51 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline xixihaha2008

« Reply #203 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 22:21:39 »
New ALPS board!!!
All swithes are ALPS SKCL grey  with LED in entire PCB
 ^-^

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 22:28:32 »
New ALPS board!!!
All swithes are ALPS SKCL grey  with LED in entire PCB
 ^-^

Not gonna lie, that's badass and I'm jealous.  What board is that?  And how do the Greys compare to Green and Yellow Alps?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #205 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 22:59:07 »
About to add switches with orange springs and leafs and tall APC black sliders to my omnikey once I get my lube from CTRL ALT. I'll make sure to post pics here :thumb:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline xixihaha2008

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:20:41 »
Slightly heavier than the Yellow switch
short white switchplate,no logo,slits

The board on the back of  was printed "ALPS 56AAA1165F SP-80"

=====
sry, I made a mistake. All switches have a logo

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 December 2014, 18:46:10 by xixihaha2008 »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:43:40 »
A variant of IBM LPFK?
Looks really nice.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 00:05:04 »
I've got an M0116, you guys want some pics?

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 10:42:59 »
Slightly heavier than the Yellow switch

When you say "slightly heavier", it should be 50% heavier (88 cN vs 59 cN according to the 1994 catalogue) — does that seem correct to you?

I've yet to see anyone report that the grey one feels as heavy as the catalogue says that it should, but I don't think anyone's even estimated the weight yet (stacking coins is enough to get a ball park estimate). I don't know that there isn't more than one linear grey, either :-)

Also, you say "no logo" — some definitely have a logo. Are the some with a logo and some without? I can't tell from the photos.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Zoli

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread - My new-old keyboard :)
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 06:21:47 »
Well, here is my new-old Dell :)
Had it around, took it out , cleaned it, now it is back serving, fully functioning. All keys working. It feels good to type on it :)
The only problem seemed to be the Space key sometimes not working, took a look and found out that it was actually a fabrication defect. One pin was superficially flooded with solder, it loosened (center of image, pin on the right).

110852-0110854-1110856-2
110858-3110860-4110862-5
 Soldered it, now it is perfect.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #211 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 08:21:07 »

Well, here is my new-old Dell

The yellowed space bar leads me to believe that you probably have the PBT caps. If so, they are quite desirable by themselves.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #212 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 08:39:24 »
The best AT101 version! :D the caps on that one are really nice :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Zoli

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 08:58:36 »

Well, here is my new-old Dell

The yellowed space bar leads me to believe that you probably have the PBT caps. If so, they are quite desirable by themselves.

They are PBT caps indeed :) The whole thing feels massive as a tank and works just fine.
The layout is unusual though, I can not make it work. Not much of annoyance, Dvorak layout works as expected. If anyone of you have an idea about the layout settings needed for English on Debian (I'm on Wheezy), let me know please, thanks!

Offline Bucake

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 01:45:47 »
been searching the webs for hours searching a linear complicated alps board, but can't anything.
were so few made? or are they just so unpopular? because boards with tactile alps pop up everywhere..
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Zoli

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 02:20:32 »
What is a linear complicated alps board like?
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 02:24:12 by Zoli »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 08:03:46 »
been searching the webs for hours searching a linear complicated alps board,

Searches for ancient obscure Alps boards take weeks or months, not hours.

I think that a lot of early Zeniths had linear greens, which are highly prized.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 16:46:45 »
There are a at least a couple of green Alps boards currently on US ebay, but they’re pretty steep in price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121747977710
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111761904156

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:32:59 »
One of these days I'm going to decide if I want to sell, cannibalize, or keep my three green alps boards.  It is hard to pin down a fair price on the ZKB-2.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:40:07 »
This may be a dumb question, but what makes a linear switch better/worse than the others? I mean, it's linear. Smoothness, maybe?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #220 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:48:44 »
There are a at least a couple of green Alps boards currently on US ebay, but they’re pretty steep in price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121747977710
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111761904156

ZKB-5s came in Yellow and Green Alps (I've only seen Yellow).  Did they pull a key for you?  It would suck for someone to buy it and get Yellow instead of Green, especially at that price.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:36:33 »
This may be a dumb question, but what makes a linear switch better/worse than the others? I mean, it's linear. Smoothness, maybe?

As a huge broad oversimplification, typists like tactility so that they know when they have activated their character.

Gamers like linear switches because they can be faster when pressing multiple times in quick succession.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:38:05 »

As a huge broad oversimplification, typists like tactility so that they know when they have activated their character.

Gamers like linear switches because they can be faster when pressing multiple times in quick succession.

Sorry, my question wasn't clear. What makes one type of linear switch (say, green Alps) better than another linear switch (e.g., MX Blacks)?

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 20:10:24 »

Sorry, my question wasn't clear. What makes one type of linear switch (say, green Alps) better than another linear switch (e.g., MX Blacks)?

Green Alps, to me at least, are smoother and are less wobbly through the throw than MX Black.  They also have a more pleasant weight.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 20:41:09 »
Totally agree with nubbinator. I'd rather have Green Alps over any MX-mount switch. Although Gateron Blacks is making me think twice before saying that

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 20:49:59 »
Totally agree with nubbinator. I'd rather have Green Alps over any MX-mount switch. Although Gateron Blacks is making me think twice before saying that

I've got a board arriving tomorrow with Gateron Blacks. If I don't like them, I'm writing off linears for good.

My boards:
More

Offline Bucake

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 20:56:56 »
Green Alps, to me at least, are smoother and are less wobbly through the throw than MX Black.  They also have a more pleasant weight.

right!
i used to own a zenith with green alps, and cherry mx switches have never felt as satisfying to me. they feel somewhat scratchy and plastic-y, in comparison.

One of these days I'm going to decide if I want to sell, cannibalize, or keep my three green alps boards.  It is hard to pin down a fair price on the ZKB-2.

are all three ZKB2 boards? :-X
if you ever decide to sell one, i'd like to know! :p
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 22:15:20 »

right!
i used to own a zenith with green alps, and cherry mx switches have never felt as satisfying to me. they feel somewhat scratchy and plastic-y, in comparison.

are all three ZKB2 boards? :-X
if you ever decide to sell one, i'd like to know! :p

Yeah.  They were used by some old equipment that my lab was throwing away, so they sort of disappeared on the way to the dumpster.  Funny how that happens.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 22:16:37 »
I think I am about to begin my journey into the world of Alps.  I'll be sure to bug you experts with all of my questions in the future.  For now, it's time to start up the research.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 22:33:01 »
I think I am about to begin my journey into the world of Alps.  I'll be sure to bug you experts with all of my questions in the future.  For now, it's time to start up the research.

We discussed switch comparisons in the Alps 60% thread the other day if you want to know more.  I compiled a list of Chyros' Alps reviews, CPTBadass linked his reviews, and Chyros himself offered some succinct opinions.  You might find it interesting/useful.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 03:53:40 »

We discussed switch comparisons in the Alps 60% thread the other day if you want to know more.  I compiled a list of Chyros' Alps reviews, CPTBadass linked his reviews, and Chyros himself offered some succinct opinions.  You might find it interesting/useful.
Thanks man. I'll check it out.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #231 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 15:19:31 »
I've been afk for like six months, what Alps projects have rolled out recently?

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #232 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 15:34:46 »
I entered the world of ALPS with KBP V60 with Matias quiet switches. I totally love it! I find its tactile feedback more appealing to me than Cherry. It's my favorite switch so far. I might try some vintage ALPS in the future but I feel ambivalent on that. Original ALPS are about 20 years old in average and switches do wear out over time. If my favorite switches die and I can't find replacement for it, that will be very sad...
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 16:01:18 »
I've been afk for like six months, what Alps projects have rolled out recently?
The Alps Party 60% GB by BlueNalgene with hasu's PCBs, Matias switches and stabilizers, plates designed by Blue and me.

njbair's Alpine Winter DCS keycap group buy.
I entered the world of ALPS with KBP V60 with Matias quiet switches. I totally love it! I find its tactile feedback more appealing to me than Cherry. It's my favorite switch so far. I might try some vintage ALPS in the future but I feel ambivalent on that. Original ALPS are about 20 years old in average and switches do wear out over time. If my favorite switches die and I can't find replacement for it, that will be very sad...
I'm right there with you. I've tried several kinds of vintage Alps, and I like my Quiet Clicks as much or more than any of them.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 19:29:09 »
In addition to what's been mentioned, check out badwrench's Infinity modifier set (the first ever successful Alps GB, and my inspiration for Alpine Winter) and koalapear's Monarch LHTK custom. And Massdrop has had two successful buys for Tai Hao Alps keycaps in WoB, Dolch, and Olivetti colorways. Also, Matias is very close to offering thick PBT dyesub replacement sets.

So lots, really.

My boards:
More

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 20:07:08 »
In addition to what's been mentioned, check out badwrench's Infinity modifier set (the first ever successful Alps GB, and my inspiration for Alpine Winter) and koalapear's Monarch LHTK custom. And Massdrop has had two successful buys for Tai Hao Alps keycaps in WoB, Dolch, and Olivetti colorways. Also, Matias is very close to offering thick PBT dyesub replacement sets.

So lots, really.
I am really excited about Matias's PBT. I check that thread like once a day  :cool:
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 04:07:07 »
Hello brother can i ask you what custom tkl that support alps other than kingsaver and orion v2?. Gonna sell my hhkb and 55g topre because that great SKCM Blue

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #237 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 04:43:37 »
Hello brother can i ask you what custom tkl that support alps other than kingsaver and orion v2?. Gonna sell my hhkb and 55g topre because that great SKCM Blue

Give this a check
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77084.0

Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #238 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 05:13:25 »

Give this a check
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77084.0
nah man not so interested in that style but thanks for the reply man

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #239 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 07:42:57 »
Can't believe I only just now found this thread. Nearly all of my keyboards use Alps, including a new-old French ANSI layout NeXT, KBP V60, Apple M0116, another M0116...

I've also got an IBM with SKCC Greens and an Apple M0110 with SKCC Cream.

You're probably looking for the KBP V80.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #240 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 10:07:04 »
Can't believe I only just now found this thread. Nearly all of my keyboards use Alps, including a new-old French ANSI layout NeXT, KBP V60, Apple M0116, another M0116...

He's looking for an Aluminum custom. I can't think of any others, but I've heard murmurs about an Orion v3 coming soon.

My boards:
More

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 01:06:43 »

I came across your eBay store looking for Alps boards. You wouldn't happen to have any spare ADB to USB cables, would you? I'm looking for one so I can test out my M0116! :thumb:

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 02:05:17 »
I'm just hooked when i hear the sound of complicated blue and green and i just know that i need to sell my hhkb and 55g realforce. Wish me luck on getting kingsaver bro

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #243 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 07:01:31 »

I came across your eBay store looking for Alps boards. You wouldn't happen to have any spare ADB to USB cables, would you? I'm looking for one so I can test out my M0116! :thumb:

I do have one that I'm not really looking to part with, though I'll probably be making some arduino based converters soon. I already have one flashed, I just have to cut down one of my ADB cables or solder on an ADB port.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 07:55:42 »
You wouldn't happen to have any spare ADB to USB cables, would you?

If you like old Apple gear, you should have one of these lying around for testing purposes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Griffin-2001-ADB-iMate-Universal-ADB-to-USB-adapter-for-Apple-Mac-/181936558619?hash=item2a5c43921b:g:t78AAOSwLzdWTfWa
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:34:30 »
You wouldn't happen to have any spare ADB to USB cables, would you?

If you like old Apple gear, you should have one of these lying around for testing purposes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Griffin-2001-ADB-iMate-Universal-ADB-to-USB-adapter-for-Apple-Mac-/181936558619?hash=item2a5c43921b:g:t78AAOSwLzdWTfWa
Thanks! I must've missed this one. I've been looking for a used one.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 22:27:27 »
Just tried alps for the first time today. it's white alps, and now I can understand why more and more people prefer alps.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 02:55:42 »
how do i start searching for alps? im new to this alps game

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:14:44 »
If you like clicky switches, start with a board with white Alps in it, they're pretty good and easy to get. Just make sure to ask for a shot with a cap off because many Alps boards could come with several types of switch.

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:18:38 »
If you like clicky switches, start with a board with white Alps in it, they're pretty good and easy to get. Just make sure to ask for a shot with a cap off because many Alps boards could come with several types of switch.
thats the problem im searching for the best and that is the blue alps how much do you think for a donor board?