Author Topic: Cherry low profile doubleshot caps? (from MY board)  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Conus

Cherry low profile doubleshot caps? (from MY board)
« on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 23:19:50 »
Hey yall,

I put some doubleshot caps I got from a cherry pos board by happinstance on my keyboard and noticed that the doubleshot keys were ever so slightly shorter across the board than their corresponding lasered caps that were already on it. It's kind of irritating that my capslock and right shift are exactly 1mm higher than the rest of the keys in the row.

wtf is the deal with this? Does anyone even sell keycaps in this profile if I wanted to create some kind of moogle kit? Why would they make keys like this in the first place?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Cherry low profile doubleshot caps? (from MY board)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 23:21:33 »
Hey yall,

I put some doubleshot caps I got from a cherry pos board by happinstance on my keyboard and noticed that the doubleshot keys were ever so slightly shorter across the board than their corresponding lasered caps that were already on it. It's kind of irritating that my capslock and right shift are exactly 1mm higher than the rest of the keys in the row.

wtf is the deal with this? Does anyone even sell keycaps in this profile if I wanted to create some kind of moogle kit? Why would they make keys like this in the first place?

Normal.

The original keycaps are OEM, which are generally a bit taller.

The replacements sound like Cherry profile, which is lower.

Generally you would not mix and match, due to the height difference, as you have discovered.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Conus

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 23:26:15 »
Well that's balls. So are all cherry keycaps made in this profile?

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 00:35:43 »

Should be. Could you post some pictures?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 03:50:29 »

Keycaps manufactured by the company Cherry (or GMK, who purchased their molds) are in the Cherry profile.

Want to guess why it is called the Cherry profile ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Conus

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 17:09:40 »
Should be. Could you post some pictures?

Sure. I replaced all the keys but the spacebar row, caps lock, and right shift with doubleshots. The height difference is most noticeable on the caps lock.

Keycaps manufactured by the company Cherry (or GMK, who purchased their molds) are in the Cherry profile.

Want to guess why it is called the Cherry profile ...

No need to be condescending, dude. I was asking if they made OEM caps at some point too, not being slow. Maybe it was just Cherry boards prior to 1994 that used their weirdo profile caps for all I know.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 17:11:46 »
Those are Cherry profile doubleshot keycaps. Same as GMK. Very nice keycaps - enjoy!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 17:12:46 »
I find (and many others as well) the lower profile nicer to type on. I've got two boards with full sets and I'm very happy with them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 17:20:55 »
No need to be condescending, dude. I was asking if they made OEM caps at some point too, not being slow. Maybe it was just Cherry boards prior to 1994 that used their weirdo profile caps for all I know.

Sorry, I have misunderstood the question then.

As there is considerable cost in making the molds (tens of thousands of dollars, if not more), it is unlikely that they would try different profiles.

I would imagine they made the molds for their original Cherry profile keycaps, naming the profile after their company, and just maintained those molds until the eventually sold them to GMK.

Offline Conus

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 19:00:17 »
I find (and many others as well) the lower profile nicer to type on. I've got two boards with full sets and I'm very happy with them.

I can't say if the lower profile is definitively better or worse myself. I immediately noticed that they sound very different compared to the other ones. I do love that the F and J keys in the home row are more concave instead of having the little nubs though.

Sorry, I have misunderstood the question then.

As there is considerable cost in making the molds (tens of thousands of dollars, if not more), it is unlikely that they would try different profiles.

I would imagine they made the molds for their original Cherry profile keycaps, naming the profile after their company, and just maintained those molds until the eventually sold them to GMK.

I'm sure the cost of molds is not cheap, but still to a multinational corporation like Cherry I find it hard to believe cost was the main factor. I'll bet there probably wasn't much incentive to change. People pulling and swapping keycaps all the time is a fairly new phenomenon.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 21:31:07 »
If you don't mind purple I have some caps lock and might have a couple of 1.25 bottom row keys left over from the groupbuy. You can get Control and Alt keys from EK too. Otherwise if you want black keep an eye out for cheap G80-8113H**US/8200H**US since they are one of few models that is still easy to find used with fulltouch caps lock and 1.25 modifiers.

Offline jimmy325

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 22:59:34 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 23:53:47 »

Plagiarism!

And welcome to Geekhack!

Offline Conus

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 02:22:15 »
If you don't mind purple I have some caps lock and might have a couple of 1.25 bottom row keys left over from the groupbuy. You can get Control and Alt keys from EK too. Otherwise if you want black keep an eye out for cheap G80-8113H**US/8200H**US since they are one of few models that is still easy to find used with fulltouch caps lock and 1.25 modifiers.

I don't mind colors at all. I think it's characterful to have a hodge-podge of keys. I was going to get some blank keys from the dregs of Signature Plastics inventory and perhaps a few from EK, but if you have leftovers you'd like to get rid of perhaps that will work as well.