Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 611747 times)

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1650 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 13:53:35 »
I use CentOS at work (typically just SSH'd in from Win10) and Rasbian on my Pi.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1651 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:41:45 »
I use CentOS at work (typically just SSH'd in from Win10) and Rasbian on my Pi.

WHY CENTOS. Why not Ubuntu LTS.

Seriously.. I'm about to reinstall my server do everything properly (I did some nasty stuff to it to get some services working properly). I don't get why people would choose CENTOS because in my experience yum sucks. Is that fixed? Is there a good package manager on redhat/centos nowadays?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #1652 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:13:01 »
no yum still sucks

Offline Abstractions

« Reply #1653 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:51:18 »
Debian user reporting in.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1654 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 04:01:38 »
in my experience yum sucks. Is that fixed? Is there a good package manager on redhat/centos nowadays?
DNF isn't even new.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1655 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 04:02:40 »
no yum still sucks

Respectfully, for the love of god why do SYSADMINS use CentOS if the thing that you are doing very often sucks the most, which is the package manager 'yum'.

Is it like... a religion? Like CentOS is based off of the "most widely used red hat distro in the whole industry". And people are like "shiiiit i must have this yo" amongst sysadmins?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1656 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 04:03:20 »
Debian user reporting in.

Plain vanilla debian?

I used it for sooo long until I switched to Arch then Ubuntu

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1657 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 04:35:05 »
From Arch to Ubuntu? That's odd

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1658 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 04:40:42 »
From Arch to Ubuntu? That's odd

Arch broke to often for me. It was fast, but also to bleeding. And I found pacman very slow with increased dependency resolution complexity.

I had to fix my xorg config so many times, and losing my apache config because arch overwrote it that I had enough of it. Combined with unresolved package conflicts. I even had it once that I couldn't use my mouse because xf86 mouse package was conflicting with the rest of xorg. Turned out arch maintainers were in between uploading the new version, but I was updating in the middle of their uploading. So my system was borked. So yeah..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1659 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 06:26:55 »
Is it like... a religion? Like CentOS is based off of the "most widely used red hat distro in the whole industry". And people are like "shiiiit i must have this yo" amongst sysadmins?
Support.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1660 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 06:58:05 »
Support.

Community or paid? Is corporate support from red hat really that better than from canonical?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1661 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 07:52:35 »
Support.

Community or paid? Is corporate support from red hat really that better than from canonical?
It's an entirely different league, if you're running something critical enough. It's the whole ecosystem, though, with standardized admin certifications and what not. Only SUSE comes close.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1662 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 08:06:38 »
Support.

It's an entirely different league, if you're running something critical enough. It's the whole ecosystem, though, with standardized admin certifications and what not. Only SUSE comes close.

I can see that yes. I've been doing everything myself, including for my own business. I never had the money for corporate support but then I know what I need to do as sysadmin myself and I don't have 24/7 production systems.

Even though red hat is the standard, I never liked to use it on servers, including centos. It just didn't click for me. Everything debian-like is fine.

For me, Ubuntu LTS has been very stable. On my home server I have been running LTS since 2013, never an issue. But it was mostly a file server and an dev integration / test server, so nothing exciting nor mission critical (well except for losing files.. but you know.. not like 1 min outage is a million USD damage for my business).

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #1663 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 08:44:26 »
I like CentOS, guess I'm just used to it. Personally don't have a problem with yum.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline Jaymanlp

« Reply #1664 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:04:13 »
Got my grandma to use Ubuntu since her laptop was so old Windows 7 was too demanding for it.
Her time with Ubuntu has proven to me that end users can definitely use Linux perfectly fine. She's been using Ubuntu for months and has had no issues performing day to day activities on it. She also enjoys the overall look and feel of Ubuntu more than Windows 7.
Lesson to be learned here: If my grandma can learn to use Linux then so can you.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1665 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:53:56 »
Got my grandma to use Ubuntu since her laptop was so old Windows 7 was too demanding for it.
Her time with Ubuntu has proven to me that end users can definitely use Linux perfectly fine. She's been using Ubuntu for months and has had no issues performing day to day activities on it. She also enjoys the overall look and feel of Ubuntu more than Windows 7.
Lesson to be learned here: If my grandma can learn to use Linux then so can you.
I found the same with my mom.
Put her on Linux Mint, and no problems other than a sound issue, it was FAR less problematic than I expected.

However, handing her an Ipad. Oh god...
Apple has seriously lost touch with their old ethos of being easy to use.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1666 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:53:35 »

This was 7 years ago, but my experience is just the opposite. I had an ubuntu linux box for my mom. But somehow she managed to always just break something (she didn't had root access). Stuff just almost did not work: not unmounting an usb stick, firefox crashing after update.

And it all lay in the fact that we have this routine (close firefox after update because libraries updated, quickly fix 1 2 things in terminal and you are all set) that you forget about.

But perhaps nowadays it is much better.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1667 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:56:00 »
I found the same with my mom.
Put her on Linux Mint, and no problems other than a sound issue, it was FAR less problematic than I expected.

However, handing her an Ipad. Oh god...
Apple has seriously lost touch with their old ethos of being easy to use.

Well.. you know... even though I bailed on Apple on the desktop, i still think they are king mobile. Because an iPhone is a small iPad. It works exactly the same. I tried an Android phone today and I just couldn't intuitively figure out where **** was. And mind you, I am used to a lot of desktops and manual config: fluxbox, i3wm, xfce, gnome, kde, /etc/*, lxde, openstep, etc.

It was one big graphical mess for me, stuff littered all over the place. I was appalled by iOS 7 initially, but then I took a look at Android and no way I want to switch.

Perhaps premium android is different..

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1668 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:57:46 »
sysadmins are really not installing packages all the time. occasionally, sure, but yum is Good Enough given the other advantages.

there's really no reason to be so flabbergasted that some people have different vendor requirements when it comes to their distro of choice!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1669 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 17:00:42 »
sysadmins are really not installing packages all the time. occasionally, sure, but yum is Good Enough given the other advantages.

there's really no reason to be so flabbergasted that some people have different vendor requirements when it comes to their distro of choice!

I respect all that. But my memories of yum are SO SO BAD that I cannot imagine people PREFERRING it over alternatives.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1670 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 17:09:17 »
It's come a long ways in the last few years.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1671 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 17:09:32 »

I respect all that. But my memories of yum are SO SO BAD that I cannot imagine people PREFERRING it over alternatives.

yeah i don't have any love for yum, but i dont think there are too many people out there touting it as THE reason to use an rhel-based distro.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1672 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 17:12:22 »
It's come a long ways in the last few years.

Good, perhaps I'll try CentOS on my server reinstall. Although I find it scary to change a winning recipe (Ubuntu LTS).

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1673 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 17:12:56 »
CentOS

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1674 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 02:10:16 »
I have some really cheap clients, ubuntu was perfect for them.
They had to compromise on some things (she used some edu site that didn't work on anything but win) but all in all they're satisfied.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1675 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 04:39:47 »
I have some really cheap clients, ubuntu was perfect for them.
They had to compromise on some things (she used some edu site that didn't work on anything but win) but all in all they're satisfied.

Fingers crossed now Canonical is taken Shuttleworth back as CEO, the employee firing, and the ditching of unity in favor of gnome (like that's progress imho unity sucks as much as modern gnome, but ok).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1676 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 05:36:38 »
Still on Manjaro i3 as I config Arch i3 in VM. The Vanilla only uses 90mb of ram (100mb < Manjaro i3). That's nice.

Offline iri

« Reply #1677 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 05:41:58 »
But Manjaro doesn't use systemd :P
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1678 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 06:00:46 »

Lol, write to the Ubuntu people and they can use it as a testimonial.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1679 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 06:47:45 »
Still on Manjaro i3 as I config Arch i3 in VM. The Vanilla only uses 90mb of ram (100mb < Manjaro i3). That's nice.

But Manjaro doesn't use systemd :P

I'm fine with systemd. As it turns out, my Manjaro i3 utilizes systemd. I'm not fine with lightdm and other things I don't need that come bundled with Manjaro. I don't need a GDM. I'm fine with startx. If I need to expand what I do, I want a system I can clone without spending tons on RAM/energy for each node. I'm cheap; and slightly masochistic.

For me, an OpenRC install would lead to a full Gentoo install. Arch Wiki provides me with all the juice I need atm :eek:

Offline Jaymanlp

« Reply #1680 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 08:29:57 »

Lol, write to the Ubuntu people and they can use it as a testimonial.
Grandma approved

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #1681 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 11:50:18 »
no yum still sucks

Respectfully, for the love of god why do SYSADMINS use CentOS if the thing that you are doing very often sucks the most, which is the package manager 'yum'.

It's just like the windows kids ... They want someone there to hold their hand while they venture into computerland and will give them support when things go TU

Our manager tried to get us to standardize on CentOS because "everyone" in the industry is using RHEL... but we just told him to shove it and ran ubuntu lts  :p

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1682 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 17:16:04 »
no yum still sucks

It's just like the windows kids ... They want someone there to hold their hand while they venture into computerland and will give them support when things go TU

Our manager tried to get us to standardize on CentOS because "everyone" in the industry is using RHEL... but we just told him to shove it and ran ubuntu lts  :p

Yeah... niceeeee. I like Ubuntu LTS very much. Never a hiccup so far **knock on my wood**

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1683 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 00:55:31 »
Yeah... niceeeee. I like Ubuntu LTS very much. Never a hiccup so far **knock on my wood**
Yeah I haven't had a single error so far with my Ubuntu LTS server install.
Usually clone it each month so I can always go back if I need to. So far I haven't.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1684 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 04:29:54 »
Usually clone it each month so I can always go back if I need to. So far I haven't.

Tell me about cloning... you clone the partitions? And then set them back if things go haywire?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1685 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 05:42:13 »

Tell me about cloning... you clone the partitions? And then set them back if things go haywire?
Basically yes.
I clone the entire drive where the install is (120gb ssd) to a storage drive.
Then if I **** something up I just go back a month. :P

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1686 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 05:45:32 »

Basically yes.

Do you use dd? How do you put it back? live cd --> mount internal volume --> mount external volume --> dd from external to internal --> run grub-install --> reboot?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1687 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 05:49:38 »

Basically yes.

Do you use dd? How do you put it back? live cd --> mount internal volume --> mount external volume --> dd from external to internal --> run grub-install --> reboot?
I use CloneZilla. I've found it to be the easiest method for me.
I'm around the server a lot so the fact I have to be physically present isn't an issue at the moment.

Offline mnmlisme

« Reply #1688 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 00:09:43 »
ABOUT to use linux mint. complete noob.
XD60 (gat.black) | SABER68 (gat.blue) | VORTEX Core (cherry blue) | YD40 (gatistotle)

Offline G-Dubs

« Reply #1689 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 15:01:47 »
I gave Fedora another chance on my Lenovo T420, which I'm really liking. I'm not a fan at all of Unity, so I can't wait until Ubuntu goes back to Gnome as its default DE, which will also probably be around the time I'll be in the market for a new desktop.
KUL ES-87 MX Red || KBP V60 Matias Linear || KBP V60 Matias Quiet Click || Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Black || Leopold FC210P MX Black

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1690 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 15:30:34 »
I gave Fedora another chance on my Lenovo T420, which I'm really liking. I'm not a fan at all of Unity, so I can't wait until Ubuntu goes back to Gnome as its default DE, which will also probably be around the time I'll be in the market for a new desktop.

You know you can just install another desktop environment anytime right? Whatever you like. Ubuntu, Fedora, every gnu/linux distro.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1691 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 15:36:21 »
even though i'm probably being monitored by the chinese government, deepin linux is preeeeeeeeetty slick if you can forgive the lack of english language 'polish'. it's like what elementary has been trying to do all along but nicer.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1692 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 15:41:17 »
even though i'm probably being monitored by the chinese government, deepin linux is preeeeeeeeetty slick if you can forgive the lack of english language 'polish'. it's like what elementary has been trying to do all along but nicer.

i just bought a Lenovo X1 Carbon... so I guess I'm gonna be monitored as well.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1693 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 17:35:04 »

You know you can just install another desktop environment anytime right? Whatever you like. Ubuntu, Fedora, every gnu/linux distro.

Just a side not here...
You kind of have to be careful switching between Budgie, Cinnamon, Unity and Gnome, since all are based on Gnome 3 (Budgie may no longer be), each can and often will overwrite key files wrecking one or all of the desktop environments.

Oh, and there is an official Gnome edition of Ubuntu that is available.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1694 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 17:54:33 »

Just a side not here...
You kind of have to be careful switching between Budgie, Cinnamon, Unity and Gnome, since all are based on Gnome 3 (Budgie may no longer be), each can and often will overwrite key files wrecking one or all of the desktop environments.

I've nothing but good experiences with Gnome 3 and laptop touchpads. I think I tried Unity a few years ago and switched to Linux Mint shortly after because of reasons. Be sure not to install the current (unofficial) Ubuntu Gnome as your primary (if you decide to check out the ISO..). That project is going to be abandoned in the wake of the official Ubuntu Gnome release.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1695 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 23:24:12 »

Just a side not here...

I've nothing but good experiences with Gnome 3 and laptop touchpads. I think I tried Unity a few years ago and switched to Linux Mint shortly after because of reasons. Be sure not to install the current (unofficial) Ubuntu Gnome as your primary (if you decide to check out the ISO..). That project is going to be abandoned in the wake of the official Ubuntu Gnome release.
Since it's an official release, it would probably be rolled right into the next update, so support and updates shouldn't be a problem.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1696 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 00:13:38 »
lol deepin was cute but it lasted about a day. back to void + cwm + lemonbar. i'm using the musl version now!! i don't know what difference it's making but hey there you go.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #1697 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 00:39:18 »
Never heard from Void, as I read a little bit now it sounds interesting!
... ...

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1698 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 01:11:28 »
Never heard from Void, as I read a little bit now it sounds interesting!

i always come back to void. it's just the best for me!

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #1699 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 04:03:28 »
New Linux user

Decided to start with Antergos and using it as my main OS. Haven't done much aside bumble around; I'm loving the speed and stability, but it's got me looking forward to building an Archlinux box eventually which I can already feel is going to be time consuming the first time around, haha.