Author Topic: NOW OPEN SOURCE!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]  (Read 3053223 times)

Offline HeroXLazer

Re: ORDER NOW!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]
« Reply #1950 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 10:06:49 »
I noticed that you can put the diameter in, but for Lasergist the hole diameter minimum is 2.5mm for 1mm thickness, 3mm for 1.5mm, etc.
http://lasergist.com/design-guidelines/

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #1951 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 18:42:39 »
Hi all. Trying to design a custom plate and am overwhelmed. Grateful for this tool, but overwhelmed otherwise. :)

When designing for a plate that supports both cherry and alps, do I need to design it so that it takes both cherry and alps stabs? This may seem trivial to someone who has done this before, but I'm just confused because I understand there are many kinds of stabs and is there no latter way to convert a plate made for cherry stabs so that it could support alps?

Aside from the obvious PCB limitations, are there any limitations that I otherwise should consider with regards to trying to fit both designs into a single plate?

Is there any way in the tool to allow for non-rectangular borders, or do I need to download the .dxf and edit it in illustrator so that a new line is included as the border I intend?

When sending the .dxf to a cutter, what thickness should my plate be requested as? I've heard both 3mm and 1.5mm. This would be going into a VE.A.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #1952 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 19:25:05 »
Hi all. Trying to design a custom plate and am overwhelmed. Grateful for this tool, but overwhelmed otherwise. :)

When designing for a plate that supports both cherry and alps, do I need to design it so that it takes both cherry and alps stabs? This may seem trivial to someone who has done this before, but I'm just confused because I understand there are many kinds of stabs and is there no latter way to convert a plate made for cherry stabs so that it could support alps?

Aside from the obvious PCB limitations, are there any limitations that I otherwise should consider with regards to trying to fit both designs into a single plate?

Is there any way in the tool to allow for non-rectangular borders, or do I need to download the .dxf and edit it in illustrator so that a new line is included as the border I intend?

When sending the .dxf to a cutter, what thickness should my plate be requested as? I've heard both 3mm and 1.5mm. This would be going into a VE.A.

For MX, 1.5mm, for Alps, 1.2mm. There's no easy way to have both Cherry and Alps stabs. You're better off making separate plates with each type of stabiliser cutouts.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #1953 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 07:38:34 »
hey swill - where is the github repo for the *current* backend to your keyboard plate tool?

I want to add some profiles to support XMIT Hall Effect boards for folks looking to cut their own cases. I'm happy to write the code myself and shoot you a pull request but I need to know where to hack! This seems out of date:

https://github.com/swill/kb_builder

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1954 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 08:56:41 »
hey swill - where is the github repo for the *current* backend to your keyboard plate tool?

I want to add some profiles to support XMIT Hall Effect boards for folks looking to cut their own cases. I'm happy to write the code myself and shoot you a pull request but I need to know where to hack! This seems out of date:

It is currently not open source because I didn't have enough time to dedicate to working on this AND managing it as an open source project.  PM me and we can work out a way for you to contribute, but with my current workload and the fact that I have the guts open right now makes it a little hard for me to open source it at this point.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #1955 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 09:02:46 »

It is currently not open source because I didn't have enough time to dedicate to working on this AND managing it as an open source project.  PM me and we can work out a way for you to contribute, but with my current workload and the fact that I have the guts open right now makes it a little hard for me to open source it at this point.

That's more than fair, thanks for the response! :thumb:

Lots of folks have been asking about custom plates for the XMIT boards. I had the idea a while back to help contribute to your tool.

Okay, I'll work on documenting the plate dimensional requirements and we can go from there. I'll send you a PM once I have something to share.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1956 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 09:05:25 »

That's more than fair, thanks for the response! :thumb:

Lots of folks have been asking about custom plates for the XMIT boards. I had the idea a while back to help contribute to your tool.

Okay, I'll work on documenting the plate dimensional requirements and we can go from there. I'll send you a PM once I have something to share.
Perfect. I need to get this set of features wrapped up because I have had the guts open for over a month trying to get these features finished. I work full time and have my own company which I run on evenings and weekends, so this project competes for my very small amount of free time. :)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #1957 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 11:23:47 »
That sounds familiar. Day job during the day, anything related to XMIT Keyboards night and weekends., oh and kids. :eek:

Don't hold your breath but I'll try to get some measurements drawn up for everyone interested. :thumb:

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1958 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 12:21:40 »
That sounds familiar. Day job during the day, anything related to XMIT Keyboards night and weekends., oh and kids. :eek:

Don't hold your breath but I'll try to get some measurements drawn up for everyone interested. :thumb:
Ya exactly. Wife, kids, startup, side projects = no free time. Haha.

I will make an effort over the holidays to get the new builder features launched so I can get on your use case once you have the details together.

Thanks for the interest and supporting the builder project. This thing is starting to take a life of its own.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #1959 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 05:20:42 »
Just jumping in here with a question. I am playing around with a 60% plate with ALPS switches and stabilisers, because that's where I'm sourcing the parts for a couple of Hasu 60% ALPS PCB builds.

I can't get the space bar switch position centred with the stabilisers. I have tried messing around myself but this is the only roadblock left.
Below is the raw data from the layout editor along with a couple of images, is it me or is the space bar switch not aligned with the stabilisers on the back plate?

Code: [Select]
["ESC","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=","|\n\\","Back Space"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"Reserved"],
[{w:1.75},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25},"Enter"],
[{w:1.25},"Shift","|\n\\","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75},"Shift"],
[{w:1.5},"Ctrl",{w:1},"Win",{w:1.5},"Alt",{w:6},"",{w:1.5},"Alt",{w:1},"Win",{w:1},"Menu",{w:1.5},"Ctrl"]

Settings in the plate builder: Poker case, 5mm diameter holes, 2mm radius edges, ALPS stabalizers and switches...

This tool is incredible for anyone who is piecing a custom or strange layout together, I'm very grateful to use it, thank you Swill.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1960 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 07:25:17 »
Yes. You are right. Currently the tool is focused on MX layouts. Because of that, the 6u spacebar defaults to off center. I need to make it so when alps switches are selected, that goes back to center stem.

For now the only way to fix it is to add an addition key and use a -x position to put it in the right place over top of the other cutout and the tool will know what you want and will union the cutout. I am not sure how it will clip into the plate, being alps, but if you are using a PCB, it should be fine.

Let me know if you have questions.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #1961 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 09:03:44 »
Yes. You are right. Currently the tool is focused on MX layouts. Because of that, the 6u spacebar defaults to off center. I need to make it so when alps switches are selected, that goes back to center stem.

For now the only way to fix it is to add an addition key and use a -x position to put it in the right place over top of the other cutout and the tool will know what you want and will union the cutout. I am not sure how it will clip into the plate, being alps, but if you are using a PCB, it should be fine.

Let me know if you have questions.

BEFORE EDIT: Hey thanks for the help already. I tried the -x pos but in addition to the space bar also moved the left stabiliser mount which then cover over the left alt key. I also tried to manually change the switch for the space bar to MX but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the switch type but more the space bar length as you previously mentioned. If I change the bar to 6.25 it works fine, I'll go with this funky non-modifier layout seeming as the only one I use frequently is the CTRL which I can map to CAPS LOCK and then remap another key that I don't use that often to something like ALT or WINDOWS keys.

EDIT: WAIT a minute! I get what you mean. If 6.25 works fine then I need to apply the 6.25 to the space bar with a -x of 0.25 like so: {x:-0.25,w:6.25} then it will work as I needed with the 6u space bar!

That's right then?
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 December 2016, 09:12:01 by RealLaugh »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1962 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 09:37:14 »
No. You leave the 6u key there so you have the correct stab holes, but the switch hole is in the wrong place for alps. So you have to add an Additional key that is just a 1x1 key that you absolute position where you want at the center of the space bar. It would be something like a key after the spacebar with like a x:-3 or x:-3.5 (I can't remember and I am on my phone).

This will draw an additional cutout for the switch in the correct position without messing with the stabilizer holes.

Is that clearer? I have a post about this in the thread, but having a hard time finding it on my phone. Does this make sense?

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 December 2016, 09:41:13 by swill »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1963 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 09:40:33 »
Found it: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65189.msg2237318.msg#2237318

Review this and let me know if this clears things up.

If you put the key after and position with negative X, you can see it in KLE. If you put it before and position right, then you won't see it in KLE because the next key will be drawn over it. Both work just fine from the tools perspective.

Let me know if this clears things up.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #1964 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 09:41:54 »

If you put the key after and position with negative X, you can see it in KLE. If you put it before and position right, then you won't see it in KLE because the next key will be drawn over it. Both work just fine from the tools perspective.

Thanks for all this, I will read up on it all and check it out.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #1965 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 10:14:08 »

So based on what you did with the MX example I was able to play around with the builder again and come up with the below layout which seems to do the trick!  :thumb:

Code: [Select]
["ESC","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=","|\n\\","Back Space"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"Reserved"],
[{w:1.75},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25},"Enter"],
[{w:1.25},"Shift","|\n\\","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75},"Shift"],[{w:1.5},"Ctrl",{w:1},"Win",{w:1.5},"Alt",{x:2.25},"manual",{x:-3.25,w:6},"",{w:1.5},"Alt",{w:1},"Win",{w:1},"Menu",{w:1.5},"Ctrl"]

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1966 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 10:40:08 »
Awesome. Looking good. :)

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #1967 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 19:23:29 »
Awesome. Looking good. :)

Thanks for the help! Submitted it to the 3D printers a day or so ago let's see how that turns out (in terms or precision and quality).

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: HOLIDAY GIFT!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]
« Reply #1968 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 22:24:54 »
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!

I present to you, Custom Polygons!!!

Wow, these features have taken forever.  It has been about 4 months in the making, delayed by life and renos, but I have finally finished the Custom Polygons feature which I have been working on.  I am sure there are still bugs, so please be gentle, but I have done quite a bit of testing.

Alright, so what does this mean?

Now you have another set of options which allow you to both Add and Remove different polygons from any/every layer of a case.  There are 3 built in polygons; Circle, Rectangle, and Rounded Rectangle.  In addition to these, there is the Custom Polygon option which lets you define your own polygon and apply it.  If you define your own polygon, you must define the path points in a clockwise order.

In addition, I have built in a coordinate system and an expression handler for the points.  x and y are valid values, and they represent 1/2 the width and 1/2 the height respectfully.  The center of the case is defined as [0,0], so the top left is [-x,-y], top right is [x,-y], bottom right is [x,y], and bottom left is [-x,y].  Each value of a coordinate can be an arithmetic expression, so this is a valid coordinate; [(x-6)/2,-y].  In a list, coordinates are separated by the ';', so for example: [0,0]; [5,-5]; [25,-5]; [30,0]; [25,5]; [5,5].

Here is an example of adding a Custom Polygon (the tabs) at 4 different coordinate points, and then cutting a circle in the tab for something like screw holes.

156419-0

Which results in the following.

156421-1

Many of the things that have been requested recently can be solved with this feature.  Such as, supporting PCB mounted Cherry stabilizers with 3mm switch plates.

Let me know if you have problems.  Also, let me know if there are fixes you are waiting for.  I have been absorbed in this, so I have not gotten to fixing some of the bugs people have reported.

Happy Holidays everyone.  Enjoy...
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 December 2016, 22:27:46 by swill »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1969 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 23:40:27 »
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!

I present to you, Custom Polygons!!!

Wow, these features have taken forever.  It has been about 4 months in the making, delayed by life and renos, but I have finally finished the Custom Polygons feature which I have been working on.  I am sure there are still bugs, so please be gentle, but I have done quite a bit of testing.

Alright, so what does this mean?

Now you have another set of options which allow you to both Add and Remove different polygons from any/every layer of a case.  There are 3 built in polygons; Circle, Rectangle, and Rounded Rectangle.  In addition to these, there is the Custom Polygon option which lets you define your own polygon and apply it.  If you define your own polygon, you must define the path points in a clockwise order.

In addition, I have built in a coordinate system and an expression handler for the points.  x and y are valid values, and they represent 1/2 the width and 1/2 the height respectfully.  The center of the case is defined as [0,0], so the top left is [-x,-y], top right is [x,-y], bottom right is [x,y], and bottom left is [-x,y].  Each value of a coordinate can be an arithmetic expression, so this is a valid coordinate; [(x-6)/2,-y].  In a list, coordinates are separated by the ';', so for example: [0,0]; [5,-5]; [25,-5]; [30,0]; [25,5]; [5,5].

Here is an example of adding a Custom Polygon (the tabs) at 4 different coordinate points, and then cutting a circle in the tab for something like screw holes.

(Attachment Link)

Which results in the following.

(Attachment Link)

Many of the things that have been requested recently can be solved with this feature.  Such as, supporting PCB mounted Cherry stabilizers with 3mm switch plates.

Let me know if you have problems.  Also, let me know if there are fixes you are waiting for.  I have been absorbed in this, so I have not gotten to fixing some of the bugs people have reported.

Happy Holidays everyone.  Enjoy...

Very cool! Happy holidays swill!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1970 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 23:53:58 »

Thanks Nathan.  I hope you are having a nice holiday as well.  I know there has been some talk about getting together again in MTL, would be good to catch up.  :)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1971 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 00:04:10 »

Thanks Nathan.  I hope you are having a nice holiday as well.  I know there has been some talk about getting together again in MTL, would be good to catch up.  :)

It's been a well needed break, cheers! I will definitely get involved in the next meetup, I managed to pick quite a lot of new things since the last one :thumb:

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: NEW DOCS!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]
« Reply #1972 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 22:02:48 »
NEW Documentation Site!!!

The builder now has an assistant, or at least a new friend.  builder-docs.swillkb.com will guide you through the different features of the builder and answer a lot of the questions you didn't realize you had.  :)

If there are topics you would like covered in the Docs which are not currently covered, please either write a post here, or create a pull request to contribute to the documentation.

Let me know if you have any outstanding questions...  Cheers...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1973 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 17:07:02 »
Small Update

I added the ability to specify the Line Weight for the resulting CAD files.  This feature is to help conform the output of the tool to be consistent with the requirements of different fabrication shops.

So the settings for Ponoko, for example, would be Line Color = blue, Line Weight = 0.01

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1974 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 05:05:09 »
Hello,
How do I do MX/Alps stabs using doubled Alps-style plate-mount stabs? Like this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60268.msg1486047#msg1486047

I get that I can use the custom polygon tool for it, but how will I know what numbers to put in the boxes?
thx!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1975 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 06:49:16 »
Hello,
How do I do MX/Alps stabs using doubled Alps-style plate-mount stabs? Like this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60268.msg1486047#msg1486047

I get that I can use the custom polygon tool for it, but how will I know what numbers to put in the boxes?
thx!
Why are they different heights? Is that part of the design?

So you could draw two different stab cutouts by drawing two keys in the same location with two different sizes and it will draw two different stabs.

I will tests on my way to work and see if I can show you.

Offline wodan

« Reply #1976 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 06:58:00 »
Never a bad time to re-confirm this is one of the best and most helpful tools in the keyboard community. You keep the improvements flowing and even added proper documentation. Doesn't stop to amaze me.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1977 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 08:06:33 »
Hello,

thx!

Sorry, I didn't get to giving you an example of the overlapping keys on my train ride this morning.  Instead I worked on a feature that will help solve this problem (and all similar problems) in a much more elegant way.  I should be able to finish it on the train ride home tonight and should have it launched later tonight with documentation for how to use it.

My first suggestion uses this technique.  It may help, but won't let you offset the stabilizers so they can be different heights.  http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/pro-tips/#support-multiple-layouts

I am working on a better way to handle overrides per key right now.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1978 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 08:29:27 »

The builder now has an assistant, or at least a new friend.  builder-docs.swillkb.com will guide you through the different features of the builder and answer a lot of the questions you didn't realize you had.  :)

If there are topics you would like covered in the Docs which are not currently covered, please either write a post here, or create a pull request to contribute to the documentation.

Some minor feedback on the documention; it would be nice to have some kind of boarder/drop shadow around the images on the front page. As the images are of the actual UI interface it's a bit confusing to see HTML buttons that are not clickable.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1979 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 08:42:27 »
Never a bad time to re-confirm this is one of the best and most helpful tools in the keyboard community. You keep the improvements flowing and even added proper documentation. Doesn't stop to amaze me.

Thank you.  I try to keep adding useful features.  Gotta support the builders.  :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1980 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 08:43:59 »

Some minor feedback on the documentation; it would be nice to have some kind of boarder/drop shadow around the images on the front page. As the images are of the actual UI interface it's a bit confusing to see HTML buttons that are not clickable.

Haha.  Thanks Nathan, I had not thought of that.  I will look into it and see what I can come up with to make that clearer.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1981 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 22:43:17 »
Custom Polygons Update

Tonight I launched a new addition to the custom polygons feature which will make a bunch of common tasks easier.

Some examples:
- Supporting cherry stabilizers for 3mm plates by adding an additional cutout for the stabilizer wire to fit.
- Supporting the use case that @zombimuncha mentioned in the below quote.

So whats the feature???

I have added the ability to draw custom polygons based on the center point of a switch by adding the new {_c:"<index>[,<index>,...]"} details object for a specific key.  So for example, if you have two custom polygons defined with index values of 0 and 1, then you can draw both of those custom polygons based on a center of a switch using the code {_c:"0,1"}.

Here is an example based on @zombimuncha's request.

In the Plate Layout section, add the object detail to a key (Backspace in this example): {w:2,_c:"0,1"},"Backspace"

Then in the Custom Polygons section, add the polygons as shown in the below image.
NOTE: The values of [10.5-1.333,8-2.6];[10.5+1.333,8-2.6];[10.5+1.333,8+2.6];[10.5-1.333,8+2.6] and [-10.5-1.333,8-2.6];[-10.5+1.333,8-2.6];[-10.5+1.333,8+2.6];[-10.5-1.333,8+2.6] are entirely untested, I just threw in some numbers to make it look something like the linked example.  The main reason I am showing these details is to get @zombimuncha started with his usecase.  The important thing to note here is that the Alps Stabilizer cutout is 5.2mm tall and 2.666mm wide.  In this case, I am using equations to do the placement so it is easier to modify placement without having to actually do math.  So if you wanted to move the placement up by 1mm you can just change the 8 to a 7.  I hope that makes sense...

159956-0

The Builder Docs have been updated to reflect these changes as well, so check the docs if you have questions.  Let me know if the docs are not clear on anything...

Enjoy...  :)

Hello,

thx!
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2017, 22:51:05 by swill »

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1982 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 01:17:14 »
rockstar!

One more Q - is MX/Alps + hand wiring a bad idea? Like would either of the switch types be wobbly or unstable without a pcb?
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 February 2017, 01:41:07 by zombimuncha »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1983 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 10:06:29 »
rockstar!

One more Q - is MX/Alps + hand wiring a bad idea? Like would either of the switch types be wobbly or unstable without a pcb?

If your plate is the right thickness, MX switches will lock into the plate very securely as theres a latching mechanism on the switch casing.

Alps don't seem to hold as well with just a plate. It's more of a friction fit (at least with the Matias switches I've used). Still possible!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1984 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 10:30:00 »
rockstar!

So the MX + Alps cutout is the least stable of all of the cutouts.  The MX switches will clip in, but I have found that they can slide back and forth a little bit (maybe 1/2 a mm in play?).  Usually, when people hand wire, they just go with the standard square MX cutout or the rectangular Alps cutout because they are the most stable.  Since you don't have a PCB, you can just pop the switch out if the plate if you need to open them, so you are still able to open them if you want to.  Does that make sense?

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1985 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 15:10:02 »
OK, I was thinking of making two identical boards, one with Alps and one with ErgoClears, but it seems like if I'm gonna do that I should first learn how to design a PCB. Or just pick one switch and do one thing at a time ;-)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1986 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 15:12:13 »
OK, I was thinking of making two identical boards, one with Alps and one with ErgoClears, but it seems like if I'm gonna do that I should first learn how to design a PCB. Or just pick one switch and do one thing at a time ;-)

Why not just hand wire both and get one cut with square MX cutouts and the other with Alps cutouts?  It won't change the fabrication costs.  If anything it will make them lower because both boards will be simpler to cut.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1987 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 03:12:17 »
It won't change the fabrication costs.  If anything it will make them lower because both boards will be simpler to cut.

Interesting. Will look into it.
cheers!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1988 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 17:08:37 »
FEEDBACK REQUESTED!!!

Hey all.  So the integration with lasergist is going well.  I see a lot of people using the integration, so that is good.  The obvious missing piece is a supplier to offers a less expensive service cutting materials like acrylic.  I am looking for suggestions for who to contact to potentially integrate with to give us acrylic cutting support as well.

I have been back and forth with Ponoko, but they are not willing to give me access to their API without me jumping through a ****load of stupid hoops, which I have no time or energy to do just to prove there is a demand.

I found Outfab online who looks promising, so I have emailed them (have not heard back yet).

I have not yet contacted BigBlueSaw, but they are another contender for acrylic cutting (but last I checked their pricing was pretty steep on acrylic).

So the question remains.  Which laser cutting suppliers do you think are setup with a modern enough system that I could potentially create an integration with, who offer laser cutting at a competitive price?  Ideas? 

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1989 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 20:59:37 »
Also, speak up if you have used any acrylic laser cutter and let me know who you used.  Was it a good experience?

Offline tobsn

« Reply #1990 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 07:01:47 »
Ponoko in the US and then for the EU they have a partner that uses the same system as Ponoko called http://formulor.de/ - that would make integration easier ;)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1991 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 09:19:34 »
Ponoko in the US and then for the EU they have a partner that uses the same system as Ponoko called http://formulor.de/ - that would make integration easier ;)

Yes, if I am able to do an integration with Ponoko.  They want me to go crazy and implement a shopping cart and a payment gateway and an ordering system just to prove the demand.  After that they will consider giving me API access.  Which is bull**** because I don't need any of that IF we do an API integration, so it makes no sense...  :(

Offline tobsn

« Reply #1992 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 09:22:58 »
Yes, if I am able to do an integration with Ponoko.  They want me to go crazy and implement a shopping cart and a payment gateway and an ordering system just to prove the demand.  After that they will consider giving me API access.  Which is bull**** because I don't need any of that IF we do an API integration, so it makes no sense...  :(

ouch... well... you could reverse it and say an API would enable more sales and they can start right away with you implementing it - just show them stats from laser gist plus maybe explain that this API would also affect formulator since they use Ponokos system they would automatically also have the API and could be implemented within minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1993 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 10:03:42 »

ouch... well... you could reverse it and say an API would enable more sales and they can start right away with you implementing it - just show them stats from laser gist plus maybe explain that this API would also affect formulator since they use Ponokos system they would automatically also have the API and could be implemented within minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, that is how I started the conversation.  The irony is that if I integrate with a different service, they will then realize the demand because they will likely lose a lot of business from my tool which they currently have.  I will talk to formulator and see if that conversation goes better.  I get the feeling that Ponoko thinks they have the market cornered and they don't have to work with anyone and they can just dictate the industry.  I guess we will see... 

Offline tobsn

« Reply #1994 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:06:47 »
Ya, that is how I started the conversation.  The irony is that if I integrate with a different service, they will then realize the demand because they will likely lose a lot of business from my tool which they currently have.  I will talk to formulator and see if that conversation goes better.  I get the feeling that Ponoko thinks they have the market cornered and they don't have to work with anyone and they can just dictate the industry.  I guess we will see... 

Dictating the market seems to be the theme in this industry haha... well, just be careful with formulator, they're more expensive then Ponoko and they ship only to a few countries in the EU, last time I checked.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1995 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:26:40 »

Dictating the market seems to be the theme in this industry haha... well, just be careful with formulator, they're more expensive then Ponoko and they ship only to a few countries in the EU, last time I checked.

Ya, that is not really a good fit.  I am hopeful that Outfab will pan out.  They seem to be pretty well setup with the technology side and hopefully they are competitive price wise.

Edit: Thank you for the feedback btw...  :)

Offline tobsn

« Reply #1996 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 16:24:14 »
Ya, that is not really a good fit.  I am hopeful that Outfab will pan out.  They seem to be pretty well setup with the technology side and hopefully they are competitive price wise.

You should definitely find someone for the EU, would be nice to have someone available besides lasergist that is also "local".

No problem, since it benefits my future projects and the first mechanical keyboard I owned was built via your tool... let me know if you need translation help with ze Germans ;)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1997 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 16:36:36 »

You should definitely find someone for the EU, would be nice to have someone available besides lasergist that is also "local".

No problem, since it benefits my future projects and the first mechanical keyboard I owned was built via your tool... let me know if you need translation help with ze Germans ;)

Yes, having options for different regions is awesome.  Being able to be competitive in price has to be high on the list though otherwise an integration doesn't really make sense.

Offline twelvebore

« Reply #1998 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 10:54:01 »
Lasergist are now offering a new bead-blasted finish, which looks pretty awesome. Any chance that that could be added to the drop-down when purchasing through your site?

Awesome tool by the way :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1999 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 12:26:58 »
Lasergist are now offering a new bead-blasted finish, which looks pretty awesome. Any chance that that could be added to the drop-down when purchasing through your site?

Awesome tool by the way :)
I will check with them.  Thanks for the heads up.  Is it a different price?