Author Topic: Key cap modding (no glow effect?)  (Read 11740 times)

Offline Hellcatz

Key cap modding (no glow effect?)
« on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 18:55:29 »
I recently bought kbp double shot key caps and added leds to my poker 2 keyboard. Since my keycaps are white The light shines through em and gives a yellow tinge to the key caps (NOT BACKLIT KEY CAPS).
This was not the desired effect I was looking for and was looking for a way to get rid of that. Thought of spray painting the underside of my key cap in silver but don't know if they will darken the white key caps?
Thoughts
83883-083881-1?

Offline tankfulloffoxes

Re: Key cap modding (no glow effect?)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 22:27:18 »
So it's my understanding that you want the light from the switches to shine through the keys more so than it currently is?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 22:31:29 »
So it's my understanding that you want the light from the switches to shine through the keys more so than it currently is?
He actually doesn't want them to shine through at all.

You would need to seal off the top and outer sides of the keycap with something like play dough in order to prevent the spray paint from getting there.
It would also be recommended to pop in a stem (just the stem, not an entire switch) into that hole to plug it up. Silly putty would probably just get stuck there.
This would prevent paint from getting inside the hole which wouldn't be the end of the world but it would rub off onto the stems of your actual keyboard.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 23:16:47 »
You'd also want to make sure whatever paint you select will not damage or melt the keycaps!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 23:42:07 »
Maybe something like black acrylic paint.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 18:04:36 »

the thing is the black will darken the key caps

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 18:06:23 »

the thing is the black will darken the key caps

Perhaps some white plastidip or whatever.
I honestly have no clue what I am taking about.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 18:14:12 »
plastidip might actually work in a way where it wont kill the value of my keycaps after I mod it (Not like mine are all that expensive in the first place but perhaps in the future)
thinking adding a layer of light silver where it wont darken it but to reflect some of the light away

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:09:36 »
If you are willing to use mask off the caps and use spray paint I would recommend as high of a gloss as you can get in white or possibly chrome but that usually comes out looking just gray.  The reason is the paint with the high gloss should reflect the light back down to the plate and should give a stronger underglow effect instead of the bleed.  Fair warning this advice is untested so YMMV.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 18:04:49 »
I will try it on my numpad keys since i have some extra and will post a tutorial if it proves worthy of back light 

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 18:08:06 »
Just get a pack of gum, chew it and infill the keys.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 18:10:53 »
Sure you can do that but the only down side is that it will affect the overall feel of the keyboard and thats kinda gross

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 18:42:08 »
You could dimm the LEDs

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 18:57:12 »
You could dimm the LEDs

The funny thing would you not think that i would have thought of that before I made this post?
I would have to dim the leds to the point where I could't even tell they are on due to thin walls on the keycaps

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 16:10:11 »
I was going to make some terrible joke suggestion, but it occurred to me that my terrible joke suggestion might not actually be terrible...

Aluminum Foil Hats.
More

I'm not kidding!  Little circles of aluminum foil attached to the switches (not the caps) just above the LEDs.  They would block and reflect the light that would be going straight up into the cap back down towards the PCB instead.
RK9000RE w/ Raindrop & DDR arrow keys
Cherry G80-11900LUMEU-2 w/ Red/Black SA keys

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 23:26:12 »
Try one of those posterpaint sharpies?
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 15:05:36 »
Electrical tape/ any thick tape around the inside of a cap might also work pretty well.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 03:41:44 »
Buy thicker, dark coloured doubleshots? Turn off the backlighting?

Even thick white PBT caps allow light to bleed through.

Best bet is probably some black electric tape. It'll block a lot more of the light, but it may also make the caps seem a bit darker due to how thin they are. Just gonna have to decide which is worse or buy some thicker caps.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 13:26:55 »
Going to use tinfoil tape! Stuff they use on ducts and such

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 13:56:11 »
Please be careful with that tape.  I will slice your finger right up if you aren't paying attention.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:42:59 »
So the modding has begun!!!! Let me know if you peeps want a full tutorial!

ctrl key is modded

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:39:29 »
Improved underglow, so it seems.

But it's going to take a very long time to do all the keycaps :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:41:57 »
Indeed but a dad will do anything for his baby XD

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 10:56:31 »
Nice  :)
Is this tinfoil? How did you get it to stick under the keycaps?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:05:38 »
Nice  :)
Is this tinfoil? How did you get it to stick under the keycaps?

I believe it is aluminum tape for duct work repairs.  Extremely good glue and probably twice or three times thicker than your kitchen aluminum foil.  I have yet to take my micrometer to check though.  It is pretty stout stuff.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 18:24:44 »
Here is the finished product and pictures of what I used and roughly how thick it is (thinner then tinfoil for sure)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 18:31:03 »
That was done surprisingly quickly!

The results seem to be what you were aimng for - congratulations, and nice job :)

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 18:36:50 »
had a day off so I stayed up late to finish this puppy. Once you get a rhythm going its not that bad. 

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 18:54:51 »
I'd like a how to about adding LED's to a poker II :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 19:05:08 »
had a day off so I stayed up late to finish this puppy. Once you get a rhythm going its not that bad. 

No slashed fingers, we hope!

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 19:44:08 »
I'd like a how to about adding LED's to a poker II :)

Here is the guide I used for my keyboard
http://imgur.com/a/Y2Yyn

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 06:10:56 »
This is a nice solution (aluminium tape) :)

I think I'll be modding the orange caps of my Nostalgia set like this, they allow too much of the backlighht to glow through and it's especially noticable because the black ones block the light completely.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 03:05:43 »
How did the mod affected the sound of the bottoming out?

Offline E3E

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:35:49 »
One hell of a bump, but it did bring this awesome mod to my attention, so thank you for that! When I have had issues like this I've wanted to eliminate, I've used paint to paint the insides of the cap.

This is much easier with no dry time, and it's not permanent! Definitely noted down in my tips and tricks book. I'll have to keep this in mind. The fact that it improves the underglow is really cool as well!

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:38:55 »

One hell of a bump, but it did bring this awesome mod to my attention, so thank you for that! When I have had issues like this I've wanted to eliminate, I've used paint to paint the insides of the cap.

This is much easier with no dry time, and it's not permanent! Definitely noted down in my tips and tricks book. I'll have to keep this in mind. The fact that it improves the underglow is really cool as well!

Yeah, felt ashamed to bring it back up.

Offline E3E

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:43:25 »

Yeah, felt ashamed to bring it back up.

Well, the upside is definitely that more people might brush past it and be thankful for seeing it. I honestly never would have guessed doing this to cover up any light bleed issues.

Offline rawrjau

• Stop making nice things so I can stop spending
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 20:36:05 »
Requesting that tutorial!

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 01:14:58 »
Requesting that tutorial!
Didnt expect such an old post of mine would ever see the light of day in 2017
Ill do a semi small tutorial in the morning and after i find my foil tape

« Last Edit: Thu, 23 February 2017, 01:17:23 by Hellcatz »

Offline Wylte

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 12:55:00 »
Well shoot, there's one more thing I want to do when I have time!  Looking forward to the tutorial, gotta know what your method was to get it done so fast.
JunkDrawer KeyCaps - Blank Experimentalist