Author Topic: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!  (Read 150582 times)

Offline E3E

Re: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 19:17:28 »

The pcb supports pcb mounted stabs but the plates that are shipping don't (only support costar stabs ala KC60).

If I were to make a plate it would be GON style supporting all the layouts and pcb mount stabs only

Ahh, I see that now! I should've looked at a damn picture of the PCB, haha. Yeah, a universal plate would be a good idea, imo.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 19:29:13 »

The pcb supports pcb mounted stabs but the plates that are shipping don't (only support costar stabs ala KC60).

If I were to make a plate it would be GON style supporting all the layouts and pcb mount stabs only

Ahh, I see that now! I should've looked at a damn picture of the PCB, haha. Yeah, a universal plate would be a good idea, imo.

PCB stabilizers are great.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 20:44:07 »
I offer a keyboard assembly service with pretty good track record but I constantly ruin my own keyboards ^^
I love Elzy

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 21:22:56 »
I offer a keyboard assembly service with pretty good track record but I constantly ruin my own keyboards ^^

Same, except without the keyboard assembly and good track record parts.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 03:59:02 »
I like Costar AND Cherry stabilisers.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #255 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 04:36:01 »

Its bad that there is almost no support for costar on customs.

Offline E3E

« Reply #256 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 06:21:46 »

Its bad that there is almost no support for costar on customs.

Agreed. Cherry is the highly favored stab style, for sure.

Offline E3E

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:09:09 »
I am starting to prefer my Hammer-cased Alps board to my Octagon. I'm not sure if this is because of the investment I have in the board, or because of the shorter throw and feel of Alps and what not... or if it's the lower incline on the Hammer case, or the SA caps vs Alps caps. I don't think it's the 60% layout alone, but it has turned into one of my favorite boards to type on, hands down. :) 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #258 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:12:30 »
I am starting to prefer my Hammer-cased Alps board to my Octagon. I'm not sure if this is because of the investment I have in the board, or because of the shorter throw and feel of Alps and what not... or if it's the lower incline on the Hammer case, or the SA caps vs Alps caps. I don't think it's the 60% layout alone, but it has turned into one of my favorite boards to type on, hands down. :) 

It looks like your entire keyboard experience is a big incognita.

Offline E3E

« Reply #259 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:16:49 »

It looks like your entire keyboard experience is a big incognita.

It's super relative, I think. I absolutely loved my Octagon when it was the main contender for a daily driver. The Infinity was nice, but didn't really compete with my Octagon for love. :P

It isn't until now that I'm starting to question my affinities! I'm still going to get a second Octagon though! I have been very tempted to modify it for Alps if an Alps PCB isn't offered.  :eek:

TBH, it could be the wooden wrist rest digging into my palm that's annoying me about the Octagon. I've never had it bother me before, but it's beginning to now! I admittedly use a soft Grifiti rest on my Hammer, and it's comfy.

I started with that one, but then I moved to the Royal Glam for the Octagon.

I still blame my RSI! Ugh, I hate this stupid injury.

Offline E3E

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 00:32:45 »
I am beginning to love my Octagon less and less every time I use it.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #261 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 03:11:48 »
Not hard to see why looking at your signature.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 03:37:30 »

Stop lying. And sell it to me?

Sad to hear though, one of the best boards of last year.

Offline E3E

« Reply #263 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 21:36:17 »

Stop lying. And sell it to me?

Sad to hear though, one of the best boards of last year.

It is a fantastic board and it's also in my favorite color (I'm the weird one that loved red and blue anodized aluminum cases)! Well, it's not so bad, but maybe I'm just growing out of SA-profile caps after using Alps so much, which have more traditional caps that are closer to Cherry profile.

If insanity ever strikes me at the right opportunity, I might just give it a shot and modify it for Alps switches. We shall see. :P

EDIT: On second thought, a b.miniX2 PCB might be a better idea to experiment on. :P

Er, but it has different mounting points, I think, as well as a USB connector in a position that'd make it incompatible with the Octagon unless I shifted it or improvised, hmm.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 23:07:19 by E3E »

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #264 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 07:53:59 »
I use my realforce as a beater board ^-^

Offline axtran

« Reply #265 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 07:53:15 »

I use mine as a beater too. It's nice to reserve for when I need more silence (I have a lubed and silenced RF87U 55g Uniform), however it doesn't get much desk time since I got my Orion v2.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline lootbag

« Reply #266 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 17:35:41 »

I have a few confessions regarding my HHKB:
- It is my beater board.
- It's been with me for 5 years, flown around the world.
- I haven't legitimately cleaned it in 2 years.
- It has battle scars from being dropped on the ground numerous times.
- I don't think I could ever sell it.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 17:39:11 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:06:31 by alienman82 »

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 18:00:17 »
I've replaced my work daily driver (Realforce) with a $34 Microsoft scissor-switch keyboard. Ain't even mad.  ^-^

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 18:04:31 »
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 19:06:14 »
i like mx greens.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 19:13:57 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:06:25 by alienman82 »

Offline luke-nukem

« Reply #272 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 19:26:34 »
Mine? I absolutely hate the "Windows" and "Menu" keys with a passion. I used to pop them right off the keyboard whenever I encountered them.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #273 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 19:36:03 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:06:22 by alienman82 »

Offline luke-nukem

« Reply #274 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 19:47:33 »
Mine? I absolutely hate the "Windows" and "Menu" keys with a passion. I used to pop them right off the keyboard whenever I encountered them.

get a winkeyless cherry board ^-^

You know, I would love to get some hints here. I did start another thread asking for info too :)

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #275 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 21:11:46 »
I impulse bought a HHKB while I was in Tokyo, because I wanted to try topre and it was very cheap.

I brought it to work and immediately didn't like the feel of the switches, but kept on using it because of the investment and the status it has here. Even dental band modded it.

I stopped using it as my daily driver because of the nature of my work (Visual Studio based programming), but it's now my favourite board. I find myself taking it out of my drawer just to press the keys. The thing is though, I don't know if I truly love it, or I've somehow managed to deeply brainwash myself into liking it over time...

Don't mean to grave dig but used to do Visual Studio based programming but now do WebApps in different languages but similar to .Net. What are the disadvantages of having a HHK in this field?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 21:17:10 »
I impulse bought a HHKB while I was in Tokyo, because I wanted to try topre and it was very cheap.

I brought it to work and immediately didn't like the feel of the switches, but kept on using it because of the investment and the status it has here. Even dental band modded it.

I stopped using it as my daily driver because of the nature of my work (Visual Studio based programming), but it's now my favourite board. I find myself taking it out of my drawer just to press the keys. The thing is though, I don't know if I truly love it, or I've somehow managed to deeply brainwash myself into liking it over time...

Don't mean to grave dig but used to do Visual Studio based programming but now do WebApps in different languages but similar to .Net. What are the disadvantages of having a HHK in this field?

Visual studio is very heavy on the function row, and navigation key usage. it's really a hassle because I find that I would be holding the fn key down a LOT.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #277 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 21:23:00 »

Visual studio is very heavy on the function row, and navigation key usage. it's really a hassle because I find that I would be holding the fn key down a LOT.

I use Netbeans and such I need to keep this in mind as I really use them a lot too...Why I have yet to pull the trigger on the HHK and looking for other full size options. Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 21:25:37 by DuckNorris »

Offline Bucake

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:09:10 »
confession...?
i hate it when i damage anything. even when it's not visible.
breaking a small piece of plastic off of the bottom of the case, or even scratching the inside of the case..
every single second i type on a keyboard that i've personally damaged, i think about the damage i've caused.
god damnit.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #279 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:20:12 »
I sold my 45g realforce 87U black to buy a cherry board  :'( please absolve me of my sins

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:22:50 »
I sold my 45g realforce 87U black to buy a cherry board  :'( please absolve me of my sins

Cherry is best. You have absolved yourself of your Topre sins.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:25:34 »

Cherry is best. You have absolved yourself of your Topre sins.

nah 45g on a rf board was kinda poopy

Offline Otesanek

« Reply #282 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 17:25:27 »
confession...?
i hate it when i damage anything. even when it's not visible.
breaking a small piece of plastic off of the bottom of the case, or even scratching the inside of the case..
every single second i type on a keyboard that i've personally damaged, i think about the damage i've caused.
god damnit.

I'm exactly the same way, even with non-keyboard related things. I just can't not think about it, even if everything is still %100 percent functional.

Offline Altis

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 18:15:28 »
I must confess that I'm not crazy about 55g Topre as it fatigues me and causes mistypes.

I also confess that I'm slowly moving away from most mechanical keyboards and find myself opting for Topre more and more. I still like the others in their own way, but on a daily basis I find myself opting for the Topre keyboards.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #284 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 18:25:51 »
ive named my keyboard jessica ;-;

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #285 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 18:26:31 »

Which one? What was the name of the one I violated a few days ago?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #286 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 18:28:53 »

no this one. that other one is named maria. she gets around.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #287 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 18:30:08 »

Maria! I've just met a girl named Maria!

I'll name mine "Tony" in her honor.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #288 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 18:31:38 »

That's not a nice thing to say about the mother of Jesús.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #289 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 18:32:08 »

funny enough, she's still a virgin.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #290 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 18:32:44 »

That's not the Jesús he was talking about.  :))

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #291 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 18:34:06 »

That's not the Jesús he was talking about.  :))

ಠ_ಠ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #292 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 23:27:19 »
i like mx greens.

TIL demik has a hidden side we don't usually get to see.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline axtran

« Reply #293 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 01:11:05 »

still haven't tried 55g topre!

Trade you a RF87U 55g silenced for your CPSQ? ;)

Offline thatllbeme

« Reply #294 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 05:39:18 »
Now that I've used Topre for an extended period of time, MX blues just feel sticky and rough. I still love Gateron clears but I think I've been completely turned off from MX tactiles. Sigh. Totally worth it though, for that sweet, sweet dome feeling.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #295 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 06:48:21 »
I was a part of CPTBadAss' Novatouch tour and I after my turn was done I decided to pick one up. After having it for about a month 45g feels way too light for me.

I sold it within a month. :-[

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #296 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 09:39:23 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:04:18 by alienman82 »

Offline axtran

« Reply #297 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 12:47:09 »
No way--silencing is epic Topre! ;)

Offline AwSmCreator

« Reply #298 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 02:58:17 »
I've got zero DIY skills :(

Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is throwing money at things.

I can DIY but I choose to just throw money at things. :(

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #299 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 03:38:05 »
i have too much keyboard related things, please help!