Author Topic: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!  (Read 151380 times)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!
« Reply #400 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 09:10:24 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:22:53 by alienman82 »

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #403 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 10:46:25 »
I'll go full retard with her :D

quote of the day

Quote of the week...at least ;)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #404 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 04:13:39 »
I will be trashing about 1 cubic meter of keyboards, PCBs, parts, casings, whatevers tomorrow night. We're going to target certain construction site dumpsters and do a commando dumping raid so that we don't have to pay anyone to move these to the incinerator.

And I recommend that jdcarpe, SpamRay, and whoever has collected way more boards than he needs, do the same.

As perverse as it sounds, the thought of dumping 1 cubic meter makes me feel really empowered. I feel that my keyboarding has finally come full circle. I have all the boards that I want or need. I have the skills to mod the boards that I want. That is enough.

I am content.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #405 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 04:20:45 »
I must've killed close to a hundred keyboards by now. I've dumped a bunch of metal plates before that was so heavy I could barely carry it xD .

(mind you, most of them were rubber dome)
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #406 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 05:44:58 »
I will be trashing about 1 cubic meter of keyboards, PCBs, parts, casings, whatevers tomorrow night. We're going to target certain construction site dumpsters and do a commando dumping raid so that we don't have to pay anyone to move these to the incinerator.

And I recommend that jdcarpe, SpamRay, and whoever has collected way more boards than he needs, do the same.

As perverse as it sounds, the thought of dumping 1 cubic meter makes me feel really empowered. I feel that my keyboarding has finally come full circle. I have all the boards that I want or need. I have the skills to mod the boards that I want. That is enough.

I am content.

That's awesome!  Congratulations :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #407 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 09:17:07 »
i think i have too many keycaps..
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #408 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:16:30 »

"too many keycaps" - what does that mean?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #409 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:41:15 »

what's your definition of someone that have (IIRC) around 7 or 8 (full104)set of keycaps for just only one (TKL) keyboard?
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #410 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:51:34 »

what's your definition of someone that have (IIRC) around 7 or 8 (full104)set of keycaps for just only one (TKL) keyboard?
Yea not sure what "too many keycaps" means.

I may have 19 non-stock keysets(5 being made/on the way to me) and 5 boards... :p

edit: I still need to have one of those boards build so 4 usable.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #411 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:58:39 »

"Normal" (around here, at least).

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #412 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 02:12:27 »
artisians are stupid

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 02:31:30 »

"Normal" (around here, at least).

Yea not sure what "too many keycaps" means.

I may have 19 non-stock keysets(5 being made/on the way to me) and 5 boards... :p

edit: I still need to have one of those boards build so 4 usable.

:)) :))
thanks, both of you. at least i didn't think myself as a weird guy again  :))

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #414 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 02:38:43 »
I hate clicky switches.

Why would someone want more noise from a keyboard?
Mechanical keyboards are usually already louder than regular keyboards..

Offline S1llyC0ne

« Reply #415 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 03:22:58 »
I hate clicky switches.

Why would someone want more noise from a keyboard?
Mechanical keyboards are usually already louder than regular keyboards..
^This !

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline Elven

• Steam Profile
« Reply #416 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 04:57:27 »
I've been using a Steelseries Apex (350) for years thinking it was the best keyboard I ever had because it lit up real pretty didnt have ****in lasers and sirens but enough bells and whistles to impress my 5 year old detective cousin.  She chewed off a corner of the thing exposing a silicon dome and I screamed. I had thought it was mechanical for 2 years... Then I suddenly had the urge to make my own after a quick google into my keyboard discovered massive problems with -key rollover. For example, the test I use is holding both shift keys and typing the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. I also managed to break the plastic holder for my stabilizer on my space bar and half the things I type now have a random double space or are missing a few.
So here I am. RIP wallet.

P.S. Don't read this if you don't want to be disappointed or if you feel like beating me up over it, I've had the earful from my mates :P
H UCK BON FOX JUMPD OV H LAZY DOG
As you can see, none of the USEFUL keys show up =_= WSERQIPT basically.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #417 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 12:03:05 »

I am content.

I think I can kind of relate to this...

I don't have anywhere near that much stuff, and I'm not done adding to my collection, but I still find my thoughts turning on occasion to the subject of a purge. Everything I have seems to have some kind of problem, though the severity varies (ironically, the one Kailh keyboard I have is probably the closest to working properly). I kind of feel like I should just trash 4-6 of the boards with more serious issues, since I just wind up getting frustrated with them when I swap them in anyway.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #418 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 15:02:18 »
Much as i love my HHKB and Topre i have to admit i miss MX blues now and then...and currently use each switch about the same amount of time.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #419 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 18:20:34 »
Much as i love my HHKB and Topre i have to admit i miss MX blues now and then...and currently use each switch about the same amount of time.
[/quote

I'm using Buckling Springs and I miss my MX Blues sometimes. I used them very heavily so they were very worn in and consequently very smooth.

Typing on them felt very light and effortless, Buckling Springs are superior in almost every way but they feel like walking up stairs.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #420 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 22:57:53 »
i haven't fixed my rf87u yet

its been broken for 4 months now

it has a stripped screw and i cant be ****ed drilling it out

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #421 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 23:12:00 »

k

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #422 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 23:16:46 »

k

mean

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #423 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 01:51:07 »
Too many impulse buys, there are just way too many temptations for me to handle after discovering this hobby (addiction?)
I've held back so far this month but we're only at the 9th and I just pray to the gods that nothing extremely interesting drops this month.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #424 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 02:20:23 »
i accidentally bid on hhkb2 and won  :'(

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #425 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 02:39:09 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:16:36 by alienman82 »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #426 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 02:59:09 »
Too many impulse buys, there are just way too many temptations for me to handle after discovering this hobby (addiction?)
I've held back so far this month but we're only at the 9th and I just pray to the gods that nothing extremely interesting drops this month.

takes time, but you will learn what you like and what is worth spending on
I like this!
Hopefully I'll get better at seeing what looks good to combine after a few tries, but I'm sure you're right I need some experience first.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #427 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 04:44:16 »
Well, here's my confession: The fastest score I've ever got in a speed-typing test has been on a cheap IBM rubber-dome keyboard. Probably the only >100 wpm score I've ever managed to get. Probably faster on scissors than mech boards too.

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #428 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 05:02:46 »
I bought a brand new still in original IBM box 1985 Model M 1390131 and within 10 minutes of using it on my computer, spilt my cup of orange juice on it and about 15 keys stopped working. Tried my best to drain it and fix it but had little experience with soldering, etc so its just collecting dust.  >:D

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #429 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 05:33:15 »
I bought a brand new still in original IBM box 1985 Model M 1390131 and within 10 minutes of using it on my computer, spilt my cup of orange juice on it and about 15 keys stopped working. Tried my best to drain it and fix it but had little experience with soldering, etc so its just collecting dust.  >:D

now this... this is the true enemy

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #430 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 05:38:11 »
Argh my heart! It hurts! So sorry that happened to you.

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #431 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 05:57:21 »
Argh my heart! It hurts! So sorry that happened to you.

now this... this is the true enemy

Yeah... I kinda just stared at the keyboard after the orange juice spilt all over it and I knew it was over. It was from 1avid_collector and cost $429 + shipping... The most I've ever spent on a board ever. Look on the bright side, I found about the Model F AT and ANSI modded it and its so much better so yay :D

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #432 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 09:26:14 »
I have a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ key on the symbol layer of my ErgoDox. The longest macro I have in the firmware.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #433 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 09:30:36 »
I have a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ key on the symbol layer of my ErgoDox. The longest macro I have in the firmware.

Thats amazing, not gonna lie.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #434 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 10:48:01 »

More efficient than having to google "shruggie" any time you want to use it...

Offline mind_funeral

• savior of lost fortunes
« Reply #435 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 15:55:33 »
I have ctrl+\ bound to ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Poker II.3 with Gateron Browns and SIP sockets,  Midnight/Twilight DCS
KBP V60 with Gateron Clears, EnjoyPBT Cyrillics
Topre Type Heaven

Offline mind_funeral

« Reply #436 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 15:56:34 »
I have spent $572 since getting into mechanical keyboards last month.
Topre Type Heaven

Offline Keycap

« Reply #437 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:02:16 »
1. I am a huge fan (and seriously a really huge fan) of various rubber dome boards. And no, they're not Topre. I actually prefer them to many mechanical keyboards that I've tried.

2. I prefer Black Alps to White Alps.

3. I prefer ABS to PBT, especially the kind of keycaps used on backlit keyboards AKA "grip-coated ABS", I love the texture for some reason.

4. I prefer light linear switches for typing.

5. I have snapped some Alps keycaps due to my ignorance in the past. And they were really good double-shots, not the super common Tai-Hao double-shots :(

6. I thought that ghosting was the same as blocking up until last year.

7. I gutted the stems from a G80-11900 and forgot to put the switch tops back on, so I put it in storage for a while with something on top of it, and now many of the copper leafs are bent beyond repair.

8. A few years ago, I was legitimately convinced that the Corsair K70 was the best keyboard of all time in terms of looks and functionality. Oh, how times have changed...

I predict that my next keyboard guilt will be buying a Topre board. When I can afford one, of course. As a high school student, I rarely ever have $250 on hand.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #438 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:06:43 »
Youve also saved one of a kind clacks, and pretty much someones whole collection, so you really deserve a 572$ collection :))

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #439 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:11:25 »
I predict that my next keyboard guilt will be buying a Topre board. When I can afford one, of course. As a high school student, I rarely ever have $250 on hand.

I feel you man! fellow hs student here and its hard to afford this hobby.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #440 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:12:08 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:16:13 by alienman82 »

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #441 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 18:27:59 »

better than I, spending 10,000 in a year.

i'm not quite that high, but i've probably dropped close to 1.5k in the past year on keyboards and (mostly) artisans. the nice thing is that items retain value so well in this hobby that reselling at what you paid really isn't an issue.

Offline ineph

• nostalgic procrastinator
  • Do you know the Venus Project??
« Reply #442 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 19:59:10 »

haha nice!

Bla bla bla Stealthbla bla Blue

Offline mind_funeral

« Reply #443 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 20:44:42 »
i'm not quite that high, but i've probably dropped close to 1.5k in the past year on keyboards and (mostly) artisans. the nice thing is that items retain value so well in this hobby that reselling at what you paid really isn't an issue.

You're not fooling anyone...  You're never going to sell out lol
Topre Type Heaven

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #444 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 20:55:25 »

+1 yeah, buying for trying out is part of the searching process you should do to find out what do you really like about keyboards.

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #445 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 17:31:26 »

+1 yeah, buying for trying out is part of the searching process you should do to find out what do you really like about keyboards.

It really is, it'd be great if all the switches were available in a store near me but the reality is they aren't. But it's nice that you can try a board, and if you don't like it you can offload with relative ease

Offline rurushu

« Reply #446 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 00:47:35 »
I have 2 korean customs, but I don't use them, only for collection (collecting dust)

I like artisans and I spend quite an amount on them.
Ever since I returned to the keyboarding game this year, I have so far managed to control myself to only join official sales/ raffles instead of succumb to my darkest desire and spend $$$$ on aftermarket.

I hope I can continue with this and only join official ones as it helps both supporting the artists and also my finance.

Also, it feels good coming back to a hobby that I once left  :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #447 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:27:25 »
i uh.. i want a razer blackwidow tournament edition. i've always wanted one. and i finally got to see one at dreamhack and now i want it even more. it's so nice and heavy. i feel so dirty OnO
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #448 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:31:30 »
i uh.. i want a razer blackwidow tournament edition. i've always wanted one. and i finally got to see one at dreamhack and now i want it even more. it's so nice and heavy. i feel so dirty OnO
Just use a rubber. I hear you have enough to spare.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #449 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:32:37 »
Just use a rubber. I hear you have enough to spare.

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.