Author Topic: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!  (Read 151373 times)

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
Re: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!
« Reply #450 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:33:50 »
i uh.. i want a razer blackwidow tournament edition. i've always wanted one. and i finally got to see one at dreamhack and now i want it even more. it's so nice and heavy. i feel so dirty OnO
Just use a rubber. I hear you have enough to spare.

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

Offline JigsawSaint

« Reply #451 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 04:04:43 »
I've stopped counting how much I've spent on keyboards a few months ago because I didn't want to see how big the number was anymore

I've had to stop counting how much I've spent as well.  I'm sure there is a retirement fund and a half hidden in those costs somewhere.  I regret nothing, though.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #452 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 05:05:34 »
I've stopped counting how much I've spent on keyboards a few months ago because I didn't want to see how big the number was anymore

I've had to stop counting how much I've spent as well.  I'm sure there is a retirement fund and a half hidden in those costs somewhere.  I regret nothing, though.
Oh right, retirement. Forgot about that. Oh well I'll live on the streets with my kickass mechs.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #453 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 05:31:07 »

Oh right, retirement. Forgot about that. Oh well I'll live on the streets with my kickass mechs.

you can busk by challenging people in type racer and having them pay you if they lose

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #454 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 06:03:37 »

you can busk by challenging people in type racer and having them pay you if they lose

I'll just mug people with my Model M

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #455 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 06:33:28 »

I best get to work familiarizing myself with this ANSI board so I'll be a typing master!
Going from ISO to ANSI wasn't that big of a deal tbh, and I prefer ANSI now.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #456 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 07:01:45 »
I don't like ANSI at all. The thing about my KB-101A that everyone likes the most is the thing I like the least xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #457 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 10:40:07 »
valiendo ver, me esta empenzando a gustar los mx azules. Para tipiar estan suavez, pero hacen tanto pinche escandalo. Me retuenan los oidos cuando tipeo.

Offline Reigning Hell

• Forever Fiending 4 a V2
« Reply #458 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 10:49:58 »
valiendo ver, me esta empenzando a gustar los mx azules. Para tipiar estan suavez, pero hacen tanto pinche escandalo. Me retuenan los oidos cuando tipeo.
Si no gustas el ruido, porque no los MX transparentes?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #459 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 10:54:25 »

Por que los azules son las uniquas cerezas que valen. To do lo demas es pura pendejada.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #460 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 10:56:33 »

Tengo quatro teclas con mx transparente. Hay una gran differencia en el sentido comparando a mx azules. Cuando oprimes el boto se siente mas la tactilidad. Yo creo es por que todos mis mx transparente tienen resorte 62 gramos.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #461 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 11:20:47 »
I still believe, at least at a theoretical level, in the idea of a "gaming keyboard." The arguments against it just seem, to me, to misunderstand why at least some kinds of gamers might want such a thing, and more generally not to make very much sense.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline murkey

• murkey's alpaca farm
« Reply #462 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 00:41:53 »
I'm only into about 0.2% of artisan keycaps, and I like Topres less over time.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #463 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 00:47:14 »

that's a very specific percentage. how'd you come to it? and why do you dislike topre over time?

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #464 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 01:09:56 »
I don't think I could round out how much I dislike/like something to the proximity that you're able to.

Offline murkey

• murkey's alpaca farm
« Reply #465 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 02:17:55 »

that's a very specific percentage. how'd you come to it? and why do you dislike topre over time?

I don't think I could round out how much I dislike/like something to the proximity that you're able to.

It was a very scientific process, involving Pinckney Bend casked gin mixed with Punt e Mes and a dash of Peychaud's bitters (I hope there are some cocktail geeks around).

As for Topre... I'm using Clears in my main board, and I'm finding the Topre 45g's feel very light and a bit mushy in comparison. Also, the novelty of the "thock" sound has worn off, although I still enjoy it just as much as other clacks. I still like them better than Browns or chicklets, but 55g's might be better for me :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #466 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 03:24:03 »
Cocktail geeks? You mean alcoholics? Yeah we are around.

Well, tbh, anything is bette than Browns. Also what keyboard are you using that has 45g? If it's RF I completely understand. I find 45g RF to be incredibly light. It feels way lighter than hhkb 45g. But I think you'd love 55g. It's personally my favorite switch. Just the perfect weight IMO.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #467 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 03:35:27 »

Well, tbh, anything is bette than Browns. Also what keyboard are you using that has 45g? If it's RF I completely understand. I find 45g RF to be incredibly light. It feels way lighter than hhkb 45g. But I think you'd love 55g. It's personally my favorite switch. Just the perfect weight IMO.

Browns are reds with dirt in them

Offline murkey

• murkey's alpaca farm
« Reply #468 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 04:12:18 »

Heh. And yeah, I'll confess I haven't used my Browns since I got Clears as well. I actually am using an HHKB and getting tons of accidental keypresses when I'm not actively typing. Maybe my fingers are getting heavier. I'm actually starting to like how Greens feel :eek:

Browns are reds with dirt in them

Yeah, yeah. I like it dirty.

Offline zcmy

• I really should be working... not "working"
« Reply #469 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 21:46:37 »
I have a very heavily beat up IBM Rubber-dome Board (broken) that's my go to "Cheeto board/dinner plate" for when i'm too lazy to wash dishes.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #470 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 22:49:03 »
I have a very heavily beat up IBM Rubber-dome Board (broken) that's my go to "Cheeto board/dinner plate" for when i'm too lazy to wash dishes.
Rofl never thought of that, what a novel idea.

Offline zcmy

• I really should be working... not "working"
« Reply #471 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 23:11:55 »
Rofl never thought of that, what a novel idea.

It only works well when the items are mostly flat. Pitas, Pizza, naan. I haven't tried anything else besides cheetos since holy crap everything else slightly watery goes into the cracks and it ends up smelling like death. I dunk it in a medical alcohol mixture to sanitize.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #472 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 23:34:55 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:11:04 by alienman82 »

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #473 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 02:51:48 »
The appeal of in-switch LEDs is rapidly dying on me

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #474 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 08:43:41 »
I don't like ANSI at all...

I forgive you, C. After all, not everyone can appreciate the advantages of not having to move one's hand considerably to the right to avoid pressing ~ or @ rather than Enter. Plus, ISO has the whole European-charm thing going. It's the reason we Westerners spend thousands of bucks and/or a bunch of our accumulated air miles to hang out with people who don't realize how smaller, scarcer and more expensive everything is, just because good wine and cheese are a bit more reasonable and it's easier to find live accordion music and donkey wearing flowered hats, and so on. Sometimes less is more—but other times, less is just less, but it's marketably less. (This, entirely coincidentally, is my Keyboard Confession.)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #475 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 16:28:41 »
I use caps lock instead of shift to capitalize my letters.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #476 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 03:26:07 »

my condolences

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #477 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 03:43:14 »

Good to see I'm not the only one around here to do something similar. :)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #478 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 03:52:28 »

Even if its just for one letter, at the beginning of a sentence etc?

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #479 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 03:59:57 »

Even if its just for one letter, at the beginning of a sentence etc?

Yes. I hate chords. But I turned my shift into a one-shot modifier: tap it once, and the next key pressed within 3 seconds will be shifted, and only that one. Tap it twice, and shift will remain pressed until toggled off. Holding works as usual, but I don't use that behaviour. But even before I arrived to this setup, my Shift was sticky, and I loved it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #480 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 01:37:48 »

A surprising number of people do!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Nafs_asp

« Reply #481 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:09:39 »
When I get lazy working from home I sit and use my Dell XPS 13 on the couch instead of one of my endgame-adjacent 60% boards/multiple monitor desk setup.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #482 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 21:40:37 »
When I get lazy working from home I sit and use my Dell XPS 13 on the couch instead of one of my endgame-adjacent 60% boards/multiple monitor desk setup.
Yeah sometimes I can't be bothered to sit at the battlestation so I just grab a laptop or tablet and sit on the couch.
Sometimes I'll spend weeks like that not touching the pc. Comes and goes. I do feel bad for not typing on my mechs though. About the only thing that's hard about the whole scenario.

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #483 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 22:16:15 »
Three years ago I bought this keyboard because I thought it was mechanical, lmao.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #484 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 22:47:27 »
Three years ago I bought this keyboard because I thought it was mechanical, lmao.

Lol, I have a friend that similarly asserted that his Dell SK-8115s were mechanical up until about four months ago when I proved him wrong by pulling up one of the keycaps. He bought several under that assumption :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2016, 23:10:27 by Wingpad »

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #485 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 22:48:36 »

Show Image

This made my day hah

Offline emdude

« Reply #486 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 23:18:10 »

Show Image

Ouch.  And even as far as rubber domes go, those keyboards kinda sucked IMO.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 02:36:20 »
I don't like ANSI at all...

I forgive you, C. After all, not everyone can appreciate the advantages of not having to move one's hand considerably to the right to avoid pressing ~ or @ rather than Enter. Plus, ISO has the whole European-charm thing going. It's the reason we Westerners spend thousands of bucks and/or a bunch of our accumulated air miles to hang out with people who don't realize how smaller, scarcer and more expensive everything is, just because good wine and cheese are a bit more reasonable and it's easier to find live accordion music and donkey wearing flowered hats, and so on. Sometimes less is more—but other times, less is just less, but it's marketably less. (This, entirely coincidentally, is my Keyboard Confession.)
Actually, although I think ISO is great, most of my boards are BAE xD . So I don't even have to move my hand more :P . I like BAE a lot as well. It's just ANSI that I don't like as I think it's wasteful of space and the enter key is both annoying and ugly to me.

Offline emdude

« Reply #488 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 02:41:22 »
You think ANSI wastes a lot of space yet you like BAEs? :eek:

Please explain!
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #489 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 02:49:03 »
You think ANSI wastes a lot of space yet you like BAEs? :eek:

Please explain!
Well ANSI has fewer keys than ISO and gains nothing useful in return, the way I see it. BAE layouts vary of course, but they get the same amount of keys as ANSI, and at least they get what's pretty much objectively the best enter key shape. And like I said, ANSI just looks ugly to me. It doesn't look the way a keyboard should look. If you look at abstract or cultural depictions of enter keys, you'll see most of the time it's shaped like a BAE.

And before you blame that on having grown up on ISO, in my country ANSI is standard :P .

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #490 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 02:17:42 »
I never actually bought a GH60
I love Elzy

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #491 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 04:15:36 »
I thought the pok3r was really cool the first month I had it.
Then i started seeing what other people had. That's what made me take the jump away from the limited choices of ISO and on the very many choices of ANSI.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #492 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 00:22:40 »

Show Image

These collect dirt and dust really well, and the transparent case shows it off beautifully!

I have one of these somewhere too.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #493 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 23:18:51 »
Some funny ones I read.

I personally don't have too many, but I DID get my first mech keyboard not so long ago, thinking all of them are hotswappable and almost spoilt my 2nd mech keyboard, a VA87M trying to pull the switches out.

:)) :)) :)) :))

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #494 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 23:27:13 »
I basically destroyed my V60 MTS PCB. The keyboard still works w/ the SKCL Greens but its so damaged and wired up, the win keys are dead as a result also. No backlight either since its so messed up I didn't install the resistors. Wish I could start over with all the soldering knowledge I have now. It would be a beautiful sight to have a proper backlight Alps board :(
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #495 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 23:43:30 »
I keep getting OEM and Cherry confused and it's solely because of their names.

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #496 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 03:43:58 »
I didn't read any advice on how to take my Novatouch apart to add hyperpheres.  After dumping 1/2 the conical springs on patterned carpet, taking 5 attempts to get all the domes lined up properly, and reassembling the board, I found that none of the sliders lined up properly.  In addition, I also found that after removing the sliders the wrong way, a small amount of pressure will cause the slider to now pop out of place and require a disassembling of the board.

It's still sitting at work, rings on, with me not being able to get the $90 PMK Dye Sublimated DSAs I bought for it.  It will likely die there as I am not going to ask anybody to help me with that.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #497 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 04:12:13 »
im drunk and just destroyed that packard bell

sirry

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #498 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 04:15:55 »
I didn't read any advice on how to take my Novatouch apart to add hyperpheres.  After dumping 1/2 the conical springs on patterned carpet, taking 5 attempts to get all the domes lined up properly, and reassembling the board, I found that none of the sliders lined up properly.  In addition, I also found that after removing the sliders the wrong way, a small amount of pressure will cause the slider to now pop out of place and require a disassembling of the board.

It's still sitting at work, rings on, with me not being able to get the $90 PMK Dye Sublimated DSAs I bought for it.  It will likely die there as I am not going to ask anybody to help me with that.

send it to me and ill make a grave for it  :thumb:

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #499 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 12:26:15 »

send it to me and ill make a grave for it  :thumb:

If I was smart, I would disassemble it and offer parts to people as they need them, it never hurts to have extra conical springs and domes, and I could certainly offer the hyperspheres to somebody or even try it again with a barebones Novatouch getting either helpful advice or actual help with the installation.

I'm sure it will sit there until I switch jobs, not to be completed due to a combination of stubbornness and ignorance  :-[
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60