Author Topic: Stepping Away from the Sidelines  (Read 7117 times)

Offline Matsilainen

Stepping Away from the Sidelines
« on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:04:08 »
Hi there. I have been a mechanical keyboard owner and user for a little over two years now, and have probably read hundreds of posts on various threads here on GH. Thought it might be time to actually join the forum.

I do word processing for a living, and have always tried to find the best “common market” keyboards until I discovered mechanicals. Before mechanicals, I managed to find a KeyTronic and some scissor switch and Apple keyboards that I actually enjoyed — at least at the time. But after discovering mechanicals, there’s no going back. My first mech was a Das Keyboard 3rd gen (MX Brown), which I still have, and later I have acquired a Pok3r (MX Clear), a Topre Realforce 87UB (55 g) and a Leopold FC660C Dye-Sub.

Can’t think of much else to say by way of an introduction, but I’d like to thank everyone who has already been posting useful information here (for several years, in many cases), helping me find answers to many of the questions I have already had along my relatively short way. From time to time I’ve also enjoyed some geeky humor on this site, which is a bonus.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Stepping Away from the Sidelines
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:05:16 »
Welcome to GH. May you always keep Spongebob as your avatar.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 15:59:30 »
Your location is "EU/USA." Did they merge?

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 05:18:09 »
Your location is "EU/USA." Did they merge?

Welcome to GH. May you always keep Spongebob as your avatar.

Thanks for the welcome, CPTBadAss! I won’t make any definite SpongeBob promises, but for the moment, Squarepants it is!

bcredbottle, yes, maybe I should change that. I seem to split my time between the two continents, that’s what I was trying to indicate. No merger as far as I know.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 05:28:41 »
I heard they merged.

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 07:32:21 »
I heard they merged.

Clearly I need to start following some news outlet other than The Onion.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 08:51:38 »
cheerful avatar, can continue a joke without being tryhard.. what a loser

hope you enjoy your stay  :-*

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:07:16 »
Thanks, whentheclouds, I appreciate it! Feel like my learning on Geekhack has already been further elevated after joining the forums as a member. And that is no joke.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:57:45 »
good for you! some social interaction goes a long way, i know i learned much faster by asking questions than trying to search and read up by myself.

also that spongebob avatar is very pleasant to look at.. the background color, the smile, the wacky stache and the totally random mini guitar.. i wish gh had a quick reply option, so i can continue to look at it while i type out this reply  ^-^

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 10:24:35 »
Love the SpongeBob avatar, too. The cell doesn't look familiar; is that from a recent episode? Haven't really watched the show since the first movie came out--what? A decade ago?

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 10:31:42 »
i googled spongebob beard and spongebob caveman to no avail, but it does look pretty recent. old spongebob (first 3 season) didn't have that polished look iirc

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 15:09:12 »
Whentheclouds and romevi, I must confess that the SpongeBob avatar is shamelessly borrowed. Just like you, I thought it was just so cool, and seeing it always makes me happy.

A fan of the Swedish band In Flames made the piece of art for guitarist Björn Gelotte. I guess it bears a certain resemblance to him. It’s called “SpongeBjörn Guitarpants,” and you should be able to see a bigger version here:
https://www.facebook.com/GelotteOfficial/posts/802658126431315

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 00:14:26 »
Welcome to geekhack! It seems like you've made pretty great purchases along the way!
So fancy!

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 02:35:34 »
googled In Flames, saw "melodic death metal". i must be listening to the only three nonmetal artists you guys have

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 03:21:43 »
Welcome to geekhack! It seems like you've made pretty great purchases along the way!

Thanks, captaineleven! Yes, I think I’ve found some solid keyboards; tend to research my purchases quite a bit, maybe even too much… Right now I’m not interested in keeping a lot of gear, so I’ll probably be selling a couple of boards soon. Good to be on a forum where people understand this somewhat strange hobby.  :)

googled In Flames, saw "melodic death metal". i must be listening to the only three nonmetal artists you guys have

Metal is definitely big especially in Northern Europe, and some of it isn’t very accessible (meaning it’s definitely not for everyone). Variety in music is good! Lots of good music and bad metal in the world, just have to try discover the stuff that resonates with you:thumb:

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 18:34:01 »

Thanks, captaineleven! Yes, I think I’ve found some solid keyboards; tend to research my purchases quite a bit, maybe even too much… Right now I’m not interested in keeping a lot of gear, so I’ll probably be selling a couple of boards soon. Good to be on a forum where people understand this somewhat strange hobby.  :)

No problem! I think the research is good! Better over-research than impulse buy and not know what you're getting yourself into. I feel like with the quality of the boards you've bought, reselling them shouldn't be all too difficult.
So fancy!

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 11:50:14 »
Well, and I suppose that when you begin to regard something as a hobby, or at least an interest, then the research becomes not only a necessary but also fun part of your endavors.

Offline chroness

• HHKB Fanboy
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:30:51 »
That's quite the start you have. Welcome!
Cup is love, Cup is life

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:41:50 »
In Flames ftw. Clayman and Soundtrack to Your Escape are amazing albums, played the hell out of them back in High School. I need to start listening again.

Welcome!

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 15:41:50 »
That's quite the start you have. Welcome!

Thanks, chroness! You seem to have a couple of superb boards, too.

In Flames ftw. Clayman and Soundtrack to Your Escape are amazing albums, played the hell out of them back in High School. I need to start listening again.

Welcome!

Thanks, dgneo! Clayman is my favorite In Flames album. Can’t believe that album is already 15 years old! If it’s been a while, you should definitely give those albums a spin. I like their more recent stuff, as well.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 04:09:53 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice collection you've started.  Which did you get first - MX or Topre?

Which do you prefer now?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 05:00:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice collection you've started.  Which did you get first - MX or Topre?

Which do you prefer now?

Rowdy, that's a good question, and I've been thinking of either finding a thread to post on — or starting my own — about all the characteristics I have observed on my journey so far.

But in short, my first mechanical keyboard has MX Browns, which are quite nice but a bit unrefined. I like MX Clears a little more. Since so many people rave about the Topre 55 gram switches, I got a Realforce with those. The build and material quality on the Realforce is amazing, but I found that the 55 gram switch doesn't suit the way I like to type.

Currently I'm using the Leopold FC660C (45 gram Topre; the "orange keyboard," as you like to call it), and I can honestly say that this is the best keyboard I have used so far. Just pure typing bliss! So I'm definitely in the Topre camp for now, although I do like MX Clears and the new WhiteFox looks like an absolutely brilliant keyboard. (There are always temptations in Keyboardland…)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 04:04:07 »
Could be a review - your comparison of several keyboards.

You know why I call it the orange keyboard?  HTML colour #FC660C is a nice deep shade of orange :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 09:06:33 »
Thanks, rowdy! Several very interesting threads in the review section. Perhaps I'll post my own observations at some point.

I saw your explanation for the color fc660c a few weeks ago, when I was browsing some thread here. It really is a very nice shade of orange, which is a great color in general! (Thanks for the link and the reminder.)  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 03:49:59 »
Thanks, rowdy! Several very interesting threads in the review section. Perhaps I'll post my own observations at some point.

I saw your explanation for the color fc660c a few weeks ago, when I was browsing some thread here. It really is a very nice shade of orange, which is a great color in general! (Thanks for the link and the reminder.)  :thumb:

Most welcome :)

Actually it happened because when the keyboard was new I tried to search on it, and there were very few links pointing to the actual keyboard, and the first link was to one of the hTML colour web sites.

These days searching for FC660C will get you dozens of keyboard links ;D

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 02:32:47 »
Sounds like you were searching very early on for the FC660C. Still not the easiest keyboard to find information on, but there are some really good threads here on GH, and the wiki on Deskthority is very informative.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 05:00:09 »
Sounds like you were searching very early on for the FC660C. Still not the easiest keyboard to find information on, but there are some really good threads here on GH, and the wiki on Deskthority is very informative.

Yep, I wanted a Topre board and if the FC660C had been available in white from the go I probably wouldn't have got my white HHKB.

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 05:50:47 »
Rowdy, that new avatar is pure gold!

Are you used to the HHKB layout? I have a Pok3r (MX Clear), and programmed one of its layers to be a close copy to the HHKB layout. I really love that keyboard of mine, but even after a few months of use, performing navigation and selection without the arrow keys can be a bit frustrating.

Yes, the FC660C also has a function layer, but thanks to the dedicated arrow keys, it is much easier to use than the Pok3r. I guess it all depends on the use. A lot of coders seem to love the HHKB, but for someone like me who does tons of word processing, it may not be quite ideal.

A more compact form factor I think is very nice, though, which is why it is cool to see keyboards like the WhiteFox come out.

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:47:31 »
Welcome! It is a great place but I am afraid your financials are just going to go down hill from now on
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 08:40:03 »

Welcome!

Thanks, dgneo! Clayman is my favorite In Flames album. Can’t believe that album is already 15 years old! If it’s been a while, you should definitely give those albums a spin. I like their more recent stuff, as well.

I re-bought 'The Jester Race' just two weeks ago and still own 'Clayman' and 'Colony' from many years ago.  In Flames was one of the bands that got me into metal initially and they still are putting stuff out, although I am admittedly not as big of a fan of the last two albums.

Nice boards btw, I keep hearing good things about the Leopold but have yet to try it :(
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2015, 10:11:51 by Waateva »
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 04:07:45 »
Rowdy, that new avatar is pure gold!

Are you used to the HHKB layout? I have a Pok3r (MX Clear), and programmed one of its layers to be a close copy to the HHKB layout. I really love that keyboard of mine, but even after a few months of use, performing navigation and selection without the arrow keys can be a bit frustrating.

Yes, the FC660C also has a function layer, but thanks to the dedicated arrow keys, it is much easier to use than the Pok3r. I guess it all depends on the use. A lot of coders seem to love the HHKB, but for someone like me who does tons of word processing, it may not be quite ideal.

A more compact form factor I think is very nice, though, which is why it is cool to see keyboards like the WhiteFox come out.

I know where the arrow keys are, and that's about it.  I tried using my HHKB under Windows at work when I first got it, but couldn't cope without dedicated arrows, home, end, pg up, pg down and function keys (the editors I use make heavy use of function keys).  So I brought it home and use it on my Mac, where traditional control sequences work much better (Ctrl-A for beginning of line, Ctrl-E for end of line, Ctrl-D for delete character and so on).  This makes even more sense with the placement of the Control key on the HHKB!

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 02:31:29 »
Welcome! It is a great place but I am afraid your financials are just going to go down hill from now on

Thanks, mrlooolz. I'm actually looking to sell a couple of boards, and am not interested in any new ones right now. Wallet is safe — for the time being! That could of course change at any given moment…

I re-bought 'The Jester Race' just two weeks ago and still own 'Clayman' and 'Colony' from many years ago.  In Flames was one of the bands that got me into metal initially and they still are putting stuff out, although I am admittedly not as big of a fan of the last two albums.

Nice boards btw, I keep hearing good things about the Leopold but have yet to try it :(

I have a lot of respect for older bands that release new material instead of just riding on old glory, so props go out to In Flames on that front. I also understand that playing the same stuff all the time can get tiring, so I think it's OK to experiment, to try some new approaches. Newer In Flames music may not be the same as their stuff from 15 years ago, but at least they haven't pulled a complete 360°.  :-\

If you ever have a chance to try the Leopold FC660C, I don't think you would be disappointed. I really like it a lot.

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 02:38:30 »

I know where the arrow keys are, and that's about it.  I tried using my HHKB under Windows at work when I first got it, but couldn't cope without dedicated arrows, home, end, pg up, pg down and function keys (the editors I use make heavy use of function keys).  So I brought it home and use it on my Mac, where traditional control sequences work much better (Ctrl-A for beginning of line, Ctrl-E for end of line, Ctrl-D for delete character and so on).  This makes even more sense with the placement of the Control key on the HHKB!

You know, I've always thought the HHKB might be better suited for a Mac environment, and your experience helps illustrate why that could be the case. Thanks for sharing!

I've started to remap my "Control"/"CapsLock" and "Backspace"/"/"\|" keys like they are on the HHKB; ergonomically it just makes more sense than the standard layout.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 December 2015, 22:50:48 by Matsilainen »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 19:06:04 »

You know, I've always thought the HHKB might be better suited for a Mac environment, and your experience helps illustrate why that could be the case. Thanks for sharing!

I've started to remap my "Control"/"CapsLock" and "Backspace"/"\|" keys like they are on the HHKB; ergonomically it just makes more sense than the standard layout.

Definitely more suited to a Mac/Unix environment!