Author Topic: Greetings from Malaysia  (Read 2480 times)

Offline codywanks

Greetings from Malaysia
« on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 10:48:10 »
Hello everybody, I'm an enthusiast from Malaysia  ;D

I started out three years ago with a Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue). At that time I didn't really care too much about mechanical keyboards, I just wanted something marketed towards gaming and I thought the clicky noise sounded cool. I didn't even realize the keycaps could be pulled.

Last September, I built a new PC and started looking around for a mech to go with it. That was when the bug bit me hard. In less than 4 months I've somehow managed to accumulate over 10 keyboards (mostly mass-market stuff e.g. Filco, V60, QFR-i...) Right now I'm typing this on a Novatouch with Originative Carbon Black ABS caps.

...and yes, I'm aware that Originative doesn't really have a good reputation round these parts. That's how much reading / research / lurking / immersement I've been doing in the 4 months, it's like an addiction.

Anyway, I thought it'd be a good time to become more active on GH  :) I'm looking forward to participating in discussions and I have a list of [WTB's] for when my post count hits 25. Cheers and nice meeting you guys!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Greetings from Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 10:54:08 »
Welcome to the club! You sure have a lot of keyboards. Where are you keeping them all?

Offline codywanks

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:03:54 »
Welcome to the club! You sure have a lot of keyboards. Where are you keeping them all?

Thanks!

Surprisingly storage hasn't yet become an issue for me. Most of them are permanently attached to some type of computer (gaming rig, home media PC, office desktop, office laptop...) while the others lie inside Grifiti neoprene sleeves in a neat bundle on my bedroom floor.

Having said that, I am on the lookout for more Grifiti sleeves but kinda reluctant to pay the $15 it takes to send them to my neck of the woods. Guess I'll just have to wait for the next round on Massdrop....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 03:27:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Originative has a bad reputation here, but he seems to be pulling his act together and AFAIK all orders made recently, including those via Massdrop, have been shipped promptly.

So what other keyboards have you got?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Belfong

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 03:33:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack. My advice is stay away from artisans!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 03:51:51 »

Yes!  Moar for the rest of us!!1!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline codywanks

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 04:32:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Originative has a bad reputation here, but he seems to be pulling his act together and AFAIK all orders made recently, including those via Massdrop, have been shipped promptly.

So what other keyboards have you got?

Yeah, he seems changed for the better (otherwise MD wouldn't have him as an approved vendor) but I do wonder if he managed to fulfill / refund all the orders from 2013? It would be sh*tty if my GMK Dolch came within a month while some poor sap still hasn't gotten theirs after two years...

What other keyboards do I have? Glad you asked  ;D

Home gaming rig - CM Storm QFR-i with black Vortex PBT/POM backlit caps (I also have a Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma plugged in just for the light show)
Home media PC - Filco MJ2 convertible
Office desktop - Filco MJ2 fullsize with Vortex side-printed PBT Cherry-profile caps
Office laptop - KBP v60 with TEX acrylic case & cheapo Tai-Hao ABS caps
With my girlfriend - KBP v60 with Vortex CNC case & NPKC PBT blanks, CM Storm Novatouch
On the way from Massdrop - Magicforce 68%, WhiteFox Aria
In my cupboard at home - First generation Razer Blackwidow TE, 2x IBM Model M

All of them have clicky switches except the Novatouch :-)

Offline codywanks

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 04:37:07 »

Thanks bro!

This is my view of artisans. Sorry if the post sounds like a rant  :p

Offline Belfong

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 05:03:22 »
Ha ha! Good that you can control yourself. Nice first post too. Actually, Click Clacks are in the correct profile so it doesn't stand out and look really good on a keyboard. What have I done?

Offline codywanks

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 05:14:27 »
Ha ha! Good that you can control yourself. Nice first post too. Actually, Click Clacks are in the correct profile so it doesn't stand out and look really good on a keyboard. What have I done?

Click Clacks? Google here I come  :D

I might thank you later  :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 03:38:14 »

Click Clacks? Google here I come  :D

I might thank you later  :D

And there again you might not ;)

Nice range of keyboards, nice choice of clicky switches :)

Offline codywanks

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 07:41:33 »

Thanks  :D

Read this a few days ago and they didn't really appeal to me tbh, except maybe the translucent ones & Oktoberfest

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 19:22:01 »

Thanks  :D

Read this a few days ago and they didn't really appeal to me tbh, except maybe the translucent ones & Oktoberfest

That's fine - not every keycap appeals to everyone.

If you like transparent/translucent keycaps, there are quite a few artisans making various designs now.  CC was one of the first, if not THE first artisan keycap maker, which explains why his are so desirable.