Author Topic: Any modern 101 button keyboards?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline luke-nukem

Any modern 101 button keyboards?
« on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 19:42:33 »
I have yet to find a decent 101 button keyboard that doesn't have either the "Windows", "Menu", or extra useless (to me) buttons.
Which is ALSO a modern keyboard with back-lighting and perhaps macros. Is there any such thing?
Oh, and it must also have the ability to switch Caps with L-Ctrl (I use VIM a lot)

For now I use a Ducky Shine 4, which is a step up from my old AT keyboard. But I've also desoldered the LED's of buttons I don't want (as above), and blocked their input plus covered with blanks.

This is what I was using;

And this is my Ducky;

It's a shame that the two boards are slightly different widths, otherwise the Ducky gear would be getting jammed in the AT housing.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Any modern 101 button keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 19:56:44 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:06:19 by alienman82 »

Offline luke-nukem

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:03:40 »
Interesting. What brand is that?

I do prefer full sized traditional keyboards where possible though.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:06:01 »
Closest thing you can get is a Leeku 3000 PCB and then pair it with a vintage cherry case.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Magna224

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 23:58:51 »

The previous post is a Cherry G80-1800.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline luke-nukem

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 00:16:35 »

The previous post is a Cherry G80-1800.

Got that.

But!!!

Are there any at all that are modern? I.e, with backlighting, macros etc?

Offline Magna224

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 00:33:50 »
None stock that I know of. I believe you would have to do it custom.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 01:01:50 »
Any modern winkeyless keyboards? Zero.
The closest thing you can have is a tenkeyless keyboard with a keypad.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline luke-nukem

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 02:52:42 »
Okay thanks everyone. I've decided to keep the Ducky, and 3D print a few bit's (the blanks) a bit better to make it look nicer and closer to stock.

Where the media keys were, I'll remove the switches and clip this in. It should fill most of that area;

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 18:15:15 »
Okay thanks everyone. I've decided to keep the Ducky, and 3D print a few bit's (the blanks) a bit better to make it look nicer and closer to stock.

Where the media keys were, I'll remove the switches and clip this in. It should fill most of that area;
Show Image

Good luck! I too think the 101 key format is arguably the pinnacle of keyboard design. We might be in the minority, though.  :))

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 19:16:14 »
Unicomp offers 101 buckling spring keyboards. They have native USB interface, and you can swap ctrl and caps lock if you choose "US Linux" layout. Unicomp even has Ctrl legend 1.75 unit caps. No backlit or macro though. I don't know of any 101-key boards with backlit, but if you want macro you can get 101-key board and use Hasu's converter, which also allows you to swap ctrl and caps lock or even have dual role ctrl. (I also use Vim and I enjoy having "caps lock" as dual role ctrl/esc).
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 February 2016, 19:26:38 by ctm »
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline luke-nukem

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 15:52:56 »
Unicomp offers 101 buckling spring keyboards. They have native USB interface, and you can swap ctrl and caps lock if you choose "US Linux" layout. Unicomp even has Ctrl legend 1.75 unit caps. No backlit or macro though. I don't know of any 101-key boards with backlit, but if you want macro you can get 101-key board and use Hasu's converter, which also allows you to swap ctrl and caps lock or even have dual role ctrl. (I also use Vim and I enjoy having "caps lock" as dual role ctrl/esc).
I did look at the Unicomp, and almost bought one. But, it's just a little too oldschool for me, and I've heard that construction isn't always great.
Intersting, I didn't know about the Hasu converter. I may at some point convert my old 101 to MX-Blues, and that may be a good option.

Good luck! I too think the 101 key format is arguably the pinnacle of keyboard design. We might be in the minority, though.  :))

That's a complete shame! Don't people know that playing DOS games with a 104-105 keyboard is crap?  :eek: Need that blank spot to rest your middle finger in.

Offline Red October

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 00:36:01 »
That's a complete shame! Don't people know that playing DOS games with a 104-105 keyboard is crap?  :eek: Need that blank spot to rest your middle finger in.

Moreover accidentally pressing the start key could crash many games.  Even though I normally am in favor of extra keys on a keyboard I just can't stand the Windows key because Microsoft decided to put a "lose the game" button between "shoot" and "strafe".  The fact that it's a software company logo on hardware belonging to a platform that gained dominance by being relatively open also rubs the wrong way...

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 01:39:51 »
I did look at the Unicomp, and almost bought one. But, it's just a little too oldschool for me, and I've heard that construction isn't always great.

What would you consider if a Unicomp 101 or an IBM 101 was "Oldschool"?

I suppose you answered your own question.

Good luck with whatever you find.  I'll stick with my keyboard.