Author Topic: KeyForge - The Forge Casting Thread  (Read 72644 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: KeyForge - The Forge Casting Thread
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 21:03:28 »
144500-0

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 09:42:25 »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 14:19:27 »
Been gone for a while, but love coming back and seeing all the dope stuff you are up to!  Keep it up!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Raenbo

• IG: @aero_keys
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 15:21:35 »
Show Image

That's pretty hype. Can't wait to see how you do kintsugi-themed caps. Need me that shishi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 01:18:15 »
have we seen the saber logo before? It looks really good man, I'd love some stickers with that logo :)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 11:31:05 »
have we seen the saber logo before? It looks really good man, I'd love some stickers with that logo :)

Not a bad idea. I'll have to look into it.

Show Image

That's pretty hype. Can't wait to see how you do kintsugi-themed caps. Need me that shishi

Thanks man. Shishi will not be a part of this sale, as it's still under development (along with a few other sculpts). The Kintsugi sale will be small and limited, but kintsugi colors will be available for all future sculpts as part of limited edition sales. I'll be giving you guys a sneak peek of the sculpts after the sale ends.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 23:27:13 »
Oh yes sign me up for stickers as well!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 23:29:54 »
Wow, stickers will be for sale?! Awesome! I'll go tell the news.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 13:52:53 »
A little tip if you're sculpting...

I picked up a soft brush that I use to smooth things out, it really makes a huge difference in creating a clean look and erase any fingerprints or imperfections in your sculpts.

I bring this up because I noticed that my brush that I have been using has started to become clogged from using it against Super Sculpey. I might try some solvent later to see if it cleans the brush, but it's a good reminder to keep your brushes fresh.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 10:58:58 »
Not related the the upcoming sale, but thought I would ask for some feedback on my "Damascus Steel" Topre blanks. Any thoughts?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 11:00:32 »
Not related the the upcoming sale, but thought I would ask for some feedback on my "Damascus Steel" Topre blanks. Any thoughts?

Show Image

I think they look awesome, but I've got a weak spot for Damascus steel stuff :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 11:10:05 »

Show Image

I think they look awesome, but I've got a weak spot for Damascus steel stuff :)

Thanks! So do I...metals have been a big inspiration of mine as of late.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 12:22:25 »

Show Image

Oh man, I love damascus blades.  Any plans for making some in MX?  Pretty please?
I'm back.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 12:51:22 »
Steel newb here- I thought Damascus has darker veins, not lighter veins. Is that wrong?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 12:55:47 »
Steel newb here- I thought Damascus has darker veins, not lighter veins. Is that wrong?

I thought it was just randomly swirly - some bits more dark others more light.

Looks cool whether it's accurate or not :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 17:32:45 »

I thought it was just randomly swirly - some bits more dark others more light.

Looks cool whether it's accurate or not :)

"traditional" is wavy alternating lines (well to get real technical none of what you buy now is true traditional since the process was lost :rolleyes:).  Could be dark with light waves or light with dark waves.  There have recently been many innovations in how they cut and stack the layers that come out with chevrons, waves, circles, etc.  Almost all for aesthetic purposes, but cool none the less.
I'm back.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 08:39:41 »
Hey just a heads up everyone, the Kintsugi Sale is now open here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc6eNiIV9NPU1pfGBizHO_5y70-ouB0SxQYZJsG8tFxLCV2pg/viewform

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 14:53:43 »

I posted this over in the sale thread, but this is really the more appropriate place for it.

148087-0

I spend several hours a week in front of a whiteboard, asking myself what I can do better. I do this for everything about KeyForge, and the ideas that are good end up being developed and the ones that suck get put in a pile for brainstorming later.

I've changed up my product packaging a little, and I'll be looking forward to the feedback of those who received keys this sale. The goal was to find better, stronger packaging that was a little more reusable if you plan storing or trading your keys, as well as being more durable than my previous designs. The larger brown stamped bags will be standard key packaging, and they will be completely sealed. Once the bag has been opened via the tear notch on the top, it can be resealed with the ziplock on the inside. The smaller brown stamped packages ended up looking cool, but were a bit too small for my liking. I now have hundreds of these things and I'm honestly not sure what to do with them. I guess I could sell drugs in them. Or those little tiny baby corn cobs that you find at salad bars. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if those things are actually corn cobs.

The golden bags are reserved for special mystery keys that will be included in random packages. They are also heat sealed, but cannot be resealed once opened. This is by design, as sealed mystery bags could potentially be interesting trade items. I know that other artisans use the gold mystery bag idea, so this will most likely be developed further and taken in a different direction over time.

I have removed the sarcastic "Our Story" print from the back of the packaging, for various reasons. There will most likely be something interesting on the back in the future, but I haven't gotten that far yet. In future sales, the brown bags will be marked with specialty stickers that reflect the key that you are getting. These are currently in development, but I'm hoping to include them in the next sale.

Any input that you guys have (good or bad) is much appreciated!

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 September 2016, 14:58:55 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline tomboy

« Reply #170 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 14:55:32 »

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 01:12:59 »
Those packages look dope and are the perfect size to stash sneaky dope. Hope to catch the next sale for a chance at the golden baggy :3

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 08:57:01 »

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 03:53:25 »
More

I posted this over in the sale thread, but this is really the more appropriate place for it.

(Attachment Link)

I spend several hours a week in front of a whiteboard, asking myself what I can do better. I do this for everything about KeyForge, and the ideas that are good end up being developed and the ones that suck get put in a pile for brainstorming later.

I've changed up my product packaging a little, and I'll be looking forward to the feedback of those who received keys this sale. The goal was to find better, stronger packaging that was a little more reusable if you plan storing or trading your keys, as well as being more durable than my previous designs. The larger brown stamped bags will be standard key packaging, and they will be completely sealed. Once the bag has been opened via the tear notch on the top, it can be resealed with the ziplock on the inside. The smaller brown stamped packages ended up looking cool, but were a bit too small for my liking. I now have hundreds of these things and I'm honestly not sure what to do with them. I guess I could sell drugs in them. Or those little tiny baby corn cobs that you find at salad bars. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if those things are actually corn cobs.

The golden bags are reserved for special mystery keys that will be included in random packages. They are also heat sealed, but cannot be resealed once opened. This is by design, as sealed mystery bags could potentially be interesting trade items. I know that other artisans use the gold mystery bag idea, so this will most likely be developed further and taken in a different direction over time.

I have removed the sarcastic "Our Story" print from the back of the packaging, for various reasons. There will most likely be something interesting on the back in the future, but I haven't gotten that far yet. In future sales, the brown bags will be marked with specialty stickers that reflect the key that you are getting. These are currently in development, but I'm hoping to include them in the next sale.

Any input that you guys have (good or bad) is much appreciated!

Nice job, I like the look of this!

Offline lovechan

• one for all,all for one,I'm lovechan,doing better.
    • HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 00:08:55 »
I like the saber-toothed tiger.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 16:27:41 »
Wanted to share this with you guys! Keypress Graphics requested to add one of my Sabers to his collection of painted keys that he is auctioning off. I'm flattered to see my work come to life through paint, so I thought I would drop you guys the link so you can see it all for yourselves. Hell I'll probably even bid on it :D

http://keypressgraphics.com/product/saber/

Thanks Nick!

148949-0

Offline lovechan

• HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 22:42:02 »
Wanted to share this with you guys! Keypress Graphics requested to add one of my Sabers to his collection of painted keys that he is auctioning off. I'm flattered to see my work come to life through paint, so I thought I would drop you guys the link so you can see it all for yourselves. Hell I'll probably even bid on it :D

http://keypressgraphics.com/product/saber/

Thanks Nick!

nice  ~

(Attachment Link)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 18:14:56 »
Sneaky Potato this thread is a wealth of knowledge. Thank you so much for sharing all of your experiences. I admire your perfectionism of craft. I'm excited to see what you will continue to come up with AND find out what this countdown is for! only 18 more hours to go.
Check out our Artisan keys at Primecaps.ca

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 18:23:55 »
Sneaky Potato this thread is a wealth of knowledge. Thank you so much for sharing all of your experiences. I admire your perfectionism of craft. I'm excited to see what you will continue to come up with AND find out what this countdown is for! only 18 more hours to go.

I appreciate the kind words. I'm going to update the initial post soon once I actually get some time. It could use a little de-cluttering and some new photos and stuff. I hope it was of some use to you. Let me know if you have questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 13:00:24 »

Scythe
sīT͟H/
noun

A tool used for cutting crops such as grass or wheat, with a long curved blade at the end of a long pole attached to which are one or two short handles. Also known as a symbol of death.

"Don't open your eyes. If you feel cold air move behind your neck or hear the whisper of metal, then it's too late."

149403-0

Scep·ter
ˈseptər/
noun

An ornamented staff carried by rulers on ceremonial occasions as a symbol of sovereignty.

"Forced by circuits and machinery to rise from eternal slumber, his hatred for the world was matched only by his will to enslave all who inhabited it."

149405-1

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 14:08:56 »
 :eek:

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 16:21:59 »
Ooooo can't wait to see what you've come up with :D A reaper and an Egyptian pharaoh perhaps?

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 10:25:26 »
149474-0

149476-1

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 10:28:10 »
Kewl

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 10:30:57 »
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 10:32:05 »

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 10:40:05 »
Top notch, Mr. Potato. 

Mayhem:  On-point realism, and the name fits well with the fire/wind/storm/smoke swirling around the reaper's hood.  A huge leap forward from Mulder. 

Osiris:  Egyptian cyberpunk keycaps are now a thing.  What a time to be alive.  Osiris reminds me of The Fifth Element.

What are their profile shapes like? 

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 10:45:00 »
Top notch, Mr. Potato. 

Mayhem:  On-point realism, and the name fits well with the fire/wind/storm/smoke swirling around the reaper's hood.  A huge leap forward from Mulder. 

Osiris:  Egyptian cyberpunk keycaps are now a thing.  What a time to be alive.  Osiris reminds me of The Fifth Element.

What are their profile shapes like? 

Thank you!

Both keys are the same height as a standard cherry fn row key, and Mayhem is a tad shorter. Same width as well. Much, much smaller than the Saber was. They fit perfectly on every keyboard I've tested.

Once I announce the sale, I will show the keys on a few boards for reference, as well as the brand new MX and Topre undersides.

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 15:36:26 »

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 20:35:08 »
So nice!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 09:16:27 »
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline lovechan

• HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 21:22:55 »
 :p

Which kind of resin do you use?

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 23:50:28 »
Your insight in to this process has sparked my interest to begin my own journey. Everything here looks great.  :thumb:
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 17:12:08 »
:p

Which kind of resin do you use?

I use several different kinds, but I really like BJB Enterprises products.

Your insight in to this process has sparked my interest to begin my own journey. Everything here looks great.  :thumb:

Glad to hear it was of some help. Let me know if you have questions!

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 12:34:10 »

Glad to hear it was of some help. Let me know if you have questions!
[/quote]

Actually I do have a question how are you liking your vacuum chamber/pump combo?
I've been looking at bestvalue and even Robinair.
Was thinking of getting the 3 gallon side mount chamber and not entirely sure if a 3cfm pump would really be sufficient or if I should move up to 5/6cfm?
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 October 2016, 14:37:15 by theanyday »
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 11:59:08 »

It's been a while since I've posted here, mostly just because I've been so busy in the workshop trying to get our next sale ready to go. I held off on the Scythes and Scepters sale in October due to the huge amount of new artisan sales, and it gave me some time to refine and push forward some of the things that wouldn't have made it into the last sale.

I wanted to give you guys a peek at the new WolfJaw stem, exclusively for topre. It might not look like much, but it's been designed to fit very securely in the right places on the topre stem, and give a really solid snap when putting it in place. I was so tired of loose-fitting topre stems, and I've been working on refining my Topre stem design to be cleaner and smoother. The shallow vents on the side are aesthetic, but give the stem a unique shape since so many artisan Topre stems look alike. The look was inspired by wolf-jaw tongs, used by blacksmiths. The new MX stems are very similar in design, but without the WolfJaw vents. MX photos will come soon, once I've done some hand finishing you'll see some photos.

152674-0

As mentioned in my Artisan Thread, I will be implementing serial numbers into all future keys, in order to strike early against potential counterfeit keycaps. These serials are still being tested, but each key will be on file in case there is ever a question of authenticity. I spent a lot of time thinking about how to make our keycaps a little more secure, and due to the small amount of real estate under the keycap, custom serial numbers are the most cost-effective and the most simple for the amount of security they provide. We know that Brocaps was the first to implement this type of security, and we hope to see the same kind of success from it.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 09:56:35 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 November 2016, 13:36:58 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger