Author Topic: G502 review  (Read 9524 times)

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
G502 review
« on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 09:39:06 »
So I bought a g502 proteus core 2 months back, I decided to review it. So here is my gaming mouse spectrum. 7 years ago I got my first g9x. I went through 1 a year 4 6 years, here's why. And I was gentle on them.

1. Wouldn't click

2. Scroll wheel got stuck

3. LCD screen cracked and broke.

4. Sensor wore out.

5. Macros wouldn't work.

6. 1-5

7.wouldn't take power.

So then I bought a g502. I had heard good things about it so I got it.

SHAPE

While I was worried about the shape, it ended up being ergonomic. The  way the right button is shaped and the curved thumb wrest, god it's perfect.
SHAPE: 10/10
[/b]

Xtra features:

All included, from profiles, to dpi, to hyperscroll to rgb.

RATING: 10/10

WOuld buy again. Never buying a g9x again.
hi.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: G502 review
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 02:16:11 »
I have had one for about a year now and really enjoy t. Recently bought a logitech track ball mouse for work trips. Still do not love it as much as my G502 and G500

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 02:36:27 »
i've never owned a g502 but i've tried it a couple times and it always felt cheap to me. too many buttons in weird places, the scroll wheel was light, the materials felt very plastic and cheap... idk it just seems like a very gimmicky mouse. why do you need dedicated macros on a mouse? like, how many macros can people use on a daily basis? i'm using a mionix 8200 right now and it's ****ing grand. though honestly, I miss having my razer deathadder (which has the dumbest name for any thing I can think of) because I have sort of longish fingers and that mouse just fits longer hands. mionix is pretty good though as it has a place to rest my ring and pinky fingers. I kind of have to grip it further down than I'd like, cuz of the long finger thing i have going on (..ladies ;)), so I think I would benefit from a wrist rest. a ramble, i know, but the point is I really don't think the g502 is worth the hype people give it
Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 02:54:58 »
g900 master race.  :cool:
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 12:59:14 »
The G900 is actually a bit more solid than I expected (tried it out at Best Buy yesterday). Although the G602 has ruined me for wireless mice, I was actually tempted to pick up the g900

Offline ygor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 13:08:59 »
Dude, the wireless capabilities of the g900 are insane. It has the option to be wired if you prefer, but there's really no difference in response. The charge lasts three days for me, but I'd imagine it'd be a lot longer if I ever went outside.

There's nothing bad I can say about the g900 and I'm a picky bastard. Well, it's expensive.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 13:41:21 »
i've never owned a g502 but i've tried it a couple times and it always felt cheap to me. too many buttons in weird places, the scroll wheel was light, the materials felt very plastic and cheap... idk it just seems like a very gimmicky mouse. why do you need dedicated macros on a mouse? like, how many macros can people use on a daily basis? i'm using a mionix 8200 right now and it's ****ing grand. though honestly, I miss having my razer deathadder (which has the dumbest name for any thing I can think of) because I have sort of longish fingers and that mouse just fits longer hands. mionix is pretty good though as it has a place to rest my ring and pinky fingers. I kind of have to grip it further down than I'd like, cuz of the long finger thing i have going on (..ladies ;)), so I think I would benefit from a wrist rest. a ramble, i know, but the point is I really don't think the g502 is worth the hype people give it

I used the macros LIKE CRAZY at first. Don't really anymore. I played H1Z1 quite a bit last year and used them for it. My favorite part is the thumb wrest. LOVE IT

Offline ygor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:13:09 »
You can use the macros on the g502 to bunnyhop easily in CS:GO... Not that I ever did that...

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 04:14:12 »

the 2 extra buttons for pointer finger (on the left primary button) are brilliant, bind them as Page Up/Page Down and you will see their greatness. I also have Home/End bound to scroll tilt left/right.
the "sniper" button... well, I didn't use it that much.

the "surface tuning" feature of the G502 is a real deal, if your G502 is having tracking trouble, just tune it!
I'm having trouble after changing to 1mm feet, but it works perfectly after tuning.

downside of G502 is its weight, I have to use a hard pad (G440) with it. Still, after a long session of gaming, my hand is tired.

Offline ygor

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 05:19:43 »

the 2 extra buttons for pointer finger (on the left primary button) are brilliant, bind them as Page Up/Page Down and you will see their greatness. I also have Home/End bound to scroll tilt left/right.

the "surface tuning" feature of the G502 is a real deal, if your G502 is having tracking trouble, just tune it!
I'm having trouble after changing to 1mm feet, but it works perfectly after tuning.

downside of G502 is its weight, I have to use a hard pad (G440) with it. Still, after a long session of gaming, my hand is tired.

The g502 actually has a known bug where if you use the tuning feature it'll freak out in game and spin in circles... Mine started doing this and it's why I switched mice.

The fix for it is to actually not use any tuning whatsoever. When I switched it to the factory default, the problem went away. Just a heads up fix if anybody has this issue.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 18:17:33 »

The g502 actually has a known bug where if you use the tuning feature it'll freak out in game and spin in circles... Mine started doing this and it's why I switched mice.

The fix for it is to actually not use any tuning whatsoever. When I switched it to the factory default, the problem went away. Just a heads up fix if anybody has this issue.

strange, is this an uncommon bug? I haven't encounterd it yet  :rolleyes: (used mine for more than 1 year. I didn't play FPS game that much though)

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 18:21:33 »

I mean a lot of people like it so I must just be missing something... I just don't like the way it feels which is the most important thing to me when deciding a mouse.
Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline ygor

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 19:27:19 »

strange, is this an uncommon bug? I haven't encounterd it yet  :rolleyes: (used mine for more than 1 year. I didn't play FPS game that much though)

Unfortunately, it's very common. Here's a good post on the problem.

I'd imagine it's not a deal breaker if you don't play FPS. It's a huge bummer for FPS players though. Bug happens when you're flicking around quickly in-game.

Edit- OP concludes that the issue was fixed in August though I was still having it happen last month. And it seems unclear in the end of the post... But for certain, switching to default tuning was bug free.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 December 2016, 19:36:39 by ygor »

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 18:40:16 »
G502 is good mice, but rating 10/10 for shape is somewhat inaccurate. The shape of a mice may be perfect for you but not for someone else.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 12:00:45 »
Nah intellimouse shape is heaven, the rest gives me strain. Avior 7000 all the way baby! If only there were mice with Topre switches..
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline quang linh

• Play for fun
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 20:15:32 »
I also have a mouse G502, but it matters little heavy for me, I find it very good.
I've tried but I still like the G502 Razer more. It's very durable.
I am really happy to meet you all

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 20:47:49 »
Had it since release. Love mine.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 00:23:13 »
I got the little brother the g402 cause its a lot lighter.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 00:29:41 »
G502 lover here as well, just wish I would have gotten it later for the sweet RGB'ness

But blue is coo

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 00:30:44 »
I got the 502 on black Friday since the g900 was sold out. No regrets. Been exceptionally happy.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 08:46:55 »
G502 lover here as well, just wish I would have gotten it later for the sweet RGB'ness

But blue is coo

Yeah, I got mine pre-RGB. But it doesn't matter as I would've left it on blue anyway.

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 12:45:34 »
Got it from 2015 Black Friday,still works great  :p
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 08:16:55 »
I like the features and functionality of the G502, but I don't use it as a gaming mouse because it just feels weird to use for prolonged gaming sessions. I still use my Razer Deathadder for games.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 16:08:09 »
I'm about to rip my g502 apart and balance the scroll wheel but other than that minor annoyance its been fantastic for a $50 mouse.
-Dana

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 16:59:25 »
I have a G502 and have no complaints at all. I just wish that logitech would make more thumb ball mice like the m570.
Biking is fun.