Author Topic: I was brought here by Plt F2 Model M  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Pete

I was brought here by Plt F2 Model M
« on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 04:05:14 »
Hey all,

Just joined after I found the forum when searching for the meaning of the codes on the back of one of my keyboards, in this case an IBM Space Saving Model M.  I was wondering what Plt No F2 represented (one of the manufacturing plants I discovered.)

I have a miscellaneous collection of keyboards acquired over the years and only recently realised I'm turning into a bit of a collector.

I've got a couple of Realforce kbs (Topre tenkeyless and also the one with deep, high-profile keys), a couple of Model Ms, a couple of Filcos, an old membrane IBM kb, and a small kb with Cherry switches. Oh yeah, an IBM Model F too that is useless but one day I might try to do something with it.

Back to my original search... I didn't realise ID numbers on the back of the IBM kb were unique. One of the pics over at clicky keyboards had a number that was only 1 greater than mine.  What a coincidence!

My daydream: discover a cache of pristine IBM Model Ms dumped somewhere and forgotten about.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
Re: I was brought here by Plt F2 Model M
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 08:01:02 »
Hey all,

Just joined after I found the forum when searching for the meaning of the codes on the back of one of my keyboards, in this case an IBM Space Saving Model M.  I was wondering what Plt No F2 represented (one of the manufacturing plants I discovered.)

I have a miscellaneous collection of keyboards acquired over the years and only recently realised I'm turning into a bit of a collector.

I've got a couple of Realforce kbs (Topre tenkeyless and also the one with deep, high-profile keys), a couple of Model Ms, a couple of Filcos, an old membrane IBM kb, and a small kb with Cherry switches. Oh yeah, an IBM Model F too that is useless but one day I might try to do something with it.

Back to my original search... I didn't realise ID numbers on the back of the IBM kb were unique. One of the pics over at clicky keyboards had a number that was only 1 greater than mine.  What a coincidence!

My daydream: discover a cache of pristine IBM Model Ms dumped somewhere and forgotten about.

Oh don't we all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Pete

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 09:31:37 »
It seems I've found a forum of likeminded keyboard appreciators.

I have many grand plans and daydreams wrt keyboards -- designing and building my own, etc.  Maybe nothing will come of it but at least I'll learn something along the way. My appreciation for tactile clicky mechanical keyboards has been decades in the making.

As a long-time (somewhat average) C/C++ software developer I have come to appreciate the benefits of a quality keyboard. Sadly this appreciation does not extend to my current employer who has banned any form of quality or ergonomic keyboard without extensive bureaucratic approval, so for the majority of my time I use the worst, cheapest membrane keyboards that came free with the thin client computers I use at work. It is unbelievably frustrating and idiotic, especially since I work for a company that promotes itself as being at the cutting edge of software development technology (they are not). No names, I can't say more.

My favourite general use keyboard is currently the Topre Realforce tenkeyless one. It feels so nice :) 

The old IBM model M keyboards are orgasmic but I'm still trying to work out how to fit them into my home dev environment. I recently ordered one of the new Model F keyboards from modelfkeyboards but I think it will be late in 2017 before I get it to try out.

I spend far too much money on keyboards (according to my wife).

Offline Almost

• Zs Xe
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 09:57:15 »
Sadly this appreciation does not extend to my current employer who has banned any form of quality or ergonomic keyboard without extensive bureaucratic approval, so for the majority of my time I use the worst, cheapest membrane keyboards that came free with the thin client computers I use at work.

Goodness I know that scenario, according to my old workplace the idea was that new devices could bring viruses or other such nasties into the office. Yet they allowed phone charging over full pin USB cords. Thank you standard HP keybords for giving me mild RSI, greatly appricated.

Welcome to GeekHack anyway; you have a great taste in keyboards already!  :thumb:

May thy money flow freely from thou wallet into the most wonderous of group-buys
Kbds: KOBO Red Carbon - Filco MJT2 Beige - Topre U23 - Cherry 3700 - Model F XT 5155
Sets: Dolch R1 - Red Alert - Hyperfuse R1 - Cherry WoB - Plum