Author Topic: Linux Persistent USB  (Read 3461 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Linux Persistent USB
« on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 12:40:59 »
Over the past week, I went through sixteen live Linux distros. I'm not even exaggerating and I still have two more I want to try. I kind of like Puppy Slacko. Lots of tools (cloning, Gparted, etc.) plus it loads into ram (~120mb..) at start up so everything is lightning fast. I probably won't use it for anything other than diagnosing/research/music/1080p but holy moly it's fast for what it can do. Some of these distros are so agile they don't seem to need SATA III/PCIE 3.0.

Any of you guys or gals using persistent versions of your favorite distros from a USB flash drive?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Linux Persistent USB
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 00:06:39 »
Honestly, you'd get the most from learning to persistently install your preferred distro on a stick. There used to be a good manual in Arch wiki (for Arch obviously); Ubuntu and OpenSuSE had tools for customizing images.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 00:19:42 »
Any of you guys or gals using persistent versions of your favorite distros from a USB flash drive?

Yes, but differently. My home storage box runs FreeBSD, because ZFS[1]. The partitions involved in booting are on mirrored USB sticks mounted inside the machine. The machine is always on and the case is easy to open while on, so when one fails (which has happened three times in ~6 years), I just swap it and tell ZFS to rebuild.

[1] Which is now available on Linux without having to build your your kernel, too. I highly recommend it to folks of the geeky inclination.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 04:37:12 »
KNOPPIX from the day it was born until the day I die.

The best way to make a USB version is load the ISO in a VM, attach your USB drive to it, and use its tool to both install itself to the USB drive and create your preferred method of persistent storage.

If you have any Debian or Debian-forked distro experience you will be right at home.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 10:37:45 »
Once I find some equipment to use them on I will definitely check out FreeBSD and PFsense. I should read more info about ZFS vs BTRFS vs EX4. So far I've read that ZFS and BTRFS offer more ease of use admin tools vs EX4; I might not have a need for the extra features but that might change as my storage needs change. For me, Slacko has a few quirks like VLC not recalling recently played files but all in all the OS has been a pleasant experience.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 11:29:37 »
I would find it hard to switch distros or use more than 2 different ones. So I have just my setup on a flash drive. Although I am or would be interested to look into other ones, especially Fedora.

ZFS and BTRFS are interesting, at home I have a BTRFS pool, which is basically a big Samba share, and at work we are using a big ZFS pool, with all the fancy options.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2017, 11:34:18 by madhias »
... ...

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 11:37:37 »
Once I find some equipment to use them on I will definitely check out FreeBSD and PFsense.

I personally really like FreeBSD, but generally tell people that unless you have a reason, you're probably better off with Linux, because of the larger user-base for help, and hardware support (which is much better than in the past, but still leans away from supporting weirder consumer hardware). If you go for it, expect a bit of a learning curve - as a user, you'll notice familiar command line utilities have different flags and other relatively minor things, but proper administration requires some learning. I also really prefer pfsense to iptables, entirely for the configuration. Pfsense's config is *much* easier to follow and reason about for nontrivial configurations. (You can write scripts to drive iptables, and write them such that they're easier to follow, but with pfsense, you don't have to.)

With ZFS (or BTRFS, for that matter), also expect to do some learning. It does offer a lot to make administration easier (snapshots, and the ability to trivially send them to another machine are pure gold), but if you treat it like just another file system, you can run in to problems. My suggestion to folks new to it is to resist the urge, upon acquiring hardware, to set up your Dream System(tm) for a little while, and go through the administration commands along with reading material and *try to cause* some of the bad situations that can happen, so you understand them[1]. If you have experience with "enterprise" filesystems that do snapshotting and whatnot, you're ahead of the game, but ZFS of course has its own particular quirks.

As far as comparing ZFS and BTRFS, that's the raw material of flame wars. I haven't run BTRFS in production, so you should probably ignore me anyway. But generally, I can say that ZFS is extremely solid, and (depending on how you set it up) can be very performant. BTRFS is much younger, and as I understand it not considered feature-complete yet, so, from my personal perspective, I won't trust it with important data until it has been boring for a few years.

Comparing ext3 with ZFS is almost apples and oranges. ZFS checksums everything and self-repairs on the fly as much as possible. If you want, you can even run ext3 (or XFS, or...) other partitions inside ZFS datasets - that can cause complications, but allows you to use some ZFS features with other file systems.

One thing a lot of people balk at is that the ZFS folks highly recommend running ECC RAM with it. You don't have to, and running ZFS without it is still safer than, say, ext3. But without ECC, some ZFS guarantees about data integrity don't apply. Again, this is not something specific to ZFS - silent RAM corruption will destroy data on any filesystem. I think the difference is just that the ZFS developers are more vocal about the issue.

Sorry to turn this into a threadjack - it is fresh on my mind, because I also run ZFS at work and just got done adding a bunch of storage and revamping part of our backups.

[1] Most problems people get themselves in to are either at initial configuration (specifying an ashift that works poorly with your disks, picking the wrong type of redundancy for your gear/workload, some other configuration details), or letting the pools fill up. And unless you understand exactly what you're doing, never turn dedup on!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 12:20:06 »
Once I find some equipment to use them on I will definitely check out FreeBSD and PFsense.

Sorry to turn this into a threadjack - it is fresh on my mind, because I also run ZFS at work and just got done adding a bunch of storage and revamping part of our backups.

During my attempts to create a persistent installation I found that partitioning was at least 75% of the process; I'd say you're not threadjacking at all.